AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-10-29, 06:49   Link #61
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just watched it in 3D because the price is the same with the 2D ticket here and the 3D showing schedule is more comfortable for me. Still, it’s a nice experience.

There are some point that I want to address (I’ll put the spoilery stuffs on proper tag)
  • Yeah, the story definitely felt a bit rushed for me especially the way some characters’ relationship develops.
  • Kaecilius is yet another so-so villain. He’s above Malekith & Ronan but not by much. Mads Mikkelsen’s acting elevate the role, but not enough to make the character a great villain. He’s yet another tool to bring the world’s destruction.
  • I think Scott Adkins’ talent as a martial-art-based actor is wasted playing minor villain (does his character even had a name?) in this movie about magic & wizards. It's kinda like how Iko Uwais’ talent was wasted in Star Wars 7. But I guess they can use the paycheck.
  • Chiwetel & Tilda's acting are quite earnest, natural and decent. In fact, Tilda's acting made me forget about the whitewashing hoopla because I enjoyed her character pretty much. Also, I think Tilda is prettier and look wizer without make up (and without hair) compared to how she looks during the red-carpet premiere of the movie .
  • The movie's visuals are heavily inspired by Inception. But while Inception used the effects sparingly and subtly to achieve more impact, Doctor Strange just went crazy with it. If there are people out there who want to watch the VFX in Inception but are not patient enough to watch the complex plot developing in that movie, Doctor Strange might be the movie for them (for better or worse).

Spoiler for SUPER-HEAVY-MEGA spoilers are in this! DO NOT CLICK if you don't want to be spoiled!!:
As I'm not really a fan of Doctor Strange, some fans might be able to set me straight regarding some questions above.
Old 2016-10-30, 04:57   Link #62
zztop

I still remember the time Kaecilius was a gentleman cannibal, making fine gourmet meals out of his victims. Perhaps Will Graham will return to avenge him?

PS.I'm still waiting for the omake where Strange's sling ring accidentally causes him to be teleported into a Sapporo girls' locker room, leading to much typical anime-style hijinks with him trying to avoid being detected by the local female karate-ka team using the room...

PPS. I joke, I joke.

Last edited by zztop; 2016-10-30 at 07:27.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 05:04   Link #63
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
I'm still waiting for the omake where Strange's sling ring accidentally causes him to be teleported into a Sapporo girls' locker room, leading to much hijinks with him trying to avoid being detected by the local female karate-ka team using the room...
He'll be able to slip away during the ruckus that occurs after the girls discover a hapless, unnamed male student who has also accidentally found himself hiding in the locker room.

Luckily for the male student, he'll get off with little more than a few bumps and bruises. Since this kind of thing happens on a regular basis in Japanese schools, and is rarely done with lascivious intent, there's no disciplinary punishment for it.
Old 2016-10-30, 06:08   Link #64
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
He'll be able to slip away during the ruckus that occurs after the girls discover a hapless, unnamed male student who has also accidentally found himself hiding in the locker room.

Luckily for the male student, he'll get off with little more than a few bumps and bruises. Since this kind of thing happens on a regular basis in Japanese schools, and is rarely done with lascivious intent, there's no disciplinary punishment for it.

I wonder what other omake anime crossovers Strange could fit in.
- Natsume Yuujinchou : Supernatural SOL where Strange learns to understand the gentle side of the spirit world and non-violent means of engaging them, from Takashi Natsume and Nyanko.
- Twin Star Exorcists : An accidental trip into Magano results in Strange having to team up with Benio and Rokuro to exorcise the latest Kegare overlord and their Basara army. Meanwhile, Arima and the 12 Guardians debate how the Ancient One's passing will impact the Exorcists' anti-Basara fight (They were trading knowledge between each other).
Old 2016-10-31, 05:54   Link #65
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Whoa. That was a trippy movie. I'll bet people who like to get high might enjoy the whole alternate dimension trips.
Spoiler for things i like about the movie:

PS: Best Trippy credits song ever.
Old 2016-10-31, 16:43   Link #66
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I just came back and I have to say, this is the best marvel movie to date. I wasn't expecting it to be all that much, but I was quite surprised, really.

Spoiler for Plot calls:
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 19:52   Link #67
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

\
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2016-11-02, 03:03   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm not that familiar with Dr Strange, but it felt a lot like Sherlock, only a doctor instead of a detective.

And the origin story was painful to watch. Such a waste. (Ultimately for the better, I suppose, but still.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-04, 18:24   Link #69
Twi

I decided to go see Doctor Strange, but the theater was empty while I was there because I went early in the morning and I saw it in 3D. It was worth the headache for the showing.
Spoiler for General Movie Stuff:
Old 2016-11-05, 12:38   Link #70
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Well I for one loved it, even the Ancient One was played properly, and the last trick was exactly the kind of shit Stephen pulls in the comics when faced against forces far beyond his power level, wich is pretty much everyday tbh
Old 2016-11-05, 20:41   Link #71
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Just got back from seeing it. Sure, this movie wasn't Civil War level, or even Winter Soldier level... but it's still a strong movie. The visual effects were amazing (even if trippy), and there was plenty of humor in this movie. Even though the villain was pretty standard, this allowed for plenty of development of Strange.

Spoiler for Mid credits and post credits:

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-06, 03:03   Link #72
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Just got back from seeing it. Sure, this movie wasn't Civil War level, or even Winter Soldier level... but it's still a strong movie. The visual effects were amazing (even if trippy), and there was plenty of humor in this movie. Even though the villain was pretty standard, this allowed for plenty of development of Strange.

Spoiler for Mid credits and post credits:
Spoiler for movie spoilers:

Also, apparently you can blame China for The Ancient One's casting. Apparently a Tibetan hero doesn't play too well in that market for some reason...
Old 2016-11-06, 04:18   Link #73
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

This Ancient One was pretty good, tbh.
And yes, Mordo is an european noble, moustache twirling villain
Old 2016-11-06, 04:29   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

With ties to the Nazis.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-06, 05:12   Link #75
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

And believe it or not, from what I've read, Kaecilius is actually an improvement compared to his comic counterpart in which he's pretty much just Mordo's follower. I guess Dr. Strange's villains are not big on characters, not even Dormammu .
Old 2016-11-06, 05:58   Link #76
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

The big bad is Shuma Gorath tho
Old 2016-11-06, 06:05   Link #77
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
The big bad is Shuma Gorath tho
Does he/she/it has interesting character?
Old 2016-11-06, 11:49   Link #78
zztop

I liked the part where Saitama from One Punch Man punched out Strange's soul. He should do that again for OPM Season 2.

Spoiler for Ancient One is Saitama:
Old 2016-11-06, 19:31   Link #79
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was a pretty fun movie. A good origin story and now has Strange ready to take part in events to come. The visuals really did live up to the hype and I'm glad to really just see magic become part of the MCU.

Plus we got to see Doctor Strange's most powerful magic...
Spoiler for Move Spoilers:
Old 2016-11-06, 20:09   Link #80
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Does he/she/it has interesting character?
As much as an eldritch abomination can possibly have

Tags
comic, film