AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-14, 04:51   Link #14161
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Hackers break into Senate computers
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75C5JI20110614
Old 2011-06-14, 14:56   Link #14162
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Hackers break into Senate computers
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75C5JI20110614
They also took down the EVE Online, Minecraft,League of Legends and Escapist Magazine.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-06-14 at 15:30.
Old 2011-06-14, 15:05   Link #14163
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

A sad day in history, as the World War 2 vintage bomber "Memphis Belle"
Has crashed and has been completely destroyed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13764898

Quote:

An American B-17 Flying Fortress bomber used for exhibition flights has caught fire and crashed in a field outside Chicago.

The vintage plane took off from Aurora Municipal Airport and crashed about 20 minutes later in nearby Oswego County, Illinois.

All seven people on board the plane escaped uninjured.
Old 2011-06-14, 19:48   Link #14164
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
http://www.channel3000.com/politics/...03/detail.html

Quote:
Supreme Court Allows Union Law To Take Effect
Court Vacates Dane County Court Ruling

Updated: 7:06 pm CDT June 14, 2011
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed the polarizing collective bargaining law to go into effect.

The Supreme Court overturned a lower court's ruling that blocked the implementation of the law.

The court ruled Tuesday just hours before the Republican-controlled Assembly was planning to start debating the state budget and possibly adding the collective bargaining provisions since the case was tied up in the court.

The 4-3 Wisconsin Supreme Court opinion upholding Gov. Scott Walker's divisive union law showed a sharp partisan divide on the high court.

Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, said there was no conspiracy with the timing of the court's decision written by the conservative majority of the court.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson wrote a blistering dissent of the court's ruling, accusing Justice David Prosser of appearing to have a "partisan slant" with his concurring opinion.

"By this interpretation, the constitutional right of the people to know what its Legislature is doing has been significantly minimized if not eliminated," Abrahamson wrote in her dissent.

Abrahamson said the ruling was hastily reached. It came just eight days after oral arguments.

Abrahamson was joined in the dissent by Justices Ann Walsh Bradley and Patrick Crooks. In the majority were Prosser, Michael Gableman, Annette Ziegler and Patience Roggensack.

Fitzgerald said the court's ruling will allow the Assembly to focus debate on the budget instead of collective bargaining.

Fitzgerald and state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon restating their belief the law was passed legally. They called the court's decision a "vindication."

"We're finally headed in the right direction by balancing the budget and focusing on jobs, just like Republicans promised we would do," they said in the statement.

Walker also responded to the Supreme Court's ruling. In a statement Tuesday, he said the ruling "provides our state the opportunity to move forward together and focus on getting Wisconsin working again."

Walker's top aide, Wisconsin Department of Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch, said Tuesday he was examining the court's 61-page ruling and determining when the law will be implemented. It calls on public workers paying more for health care and pension benefits, which amount to an 8 percent pay cut.

Union backers are decrying the Supreme Court's ruling.

Democratic Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller said Walker and Republicans' efforts to attack unions has resulted in months of "legal wrangling, unprecedented political divisiveness and millions of dollars."

Democratic Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca said that "Wisconsin's tradition of open government took a huge step backward" with the ruling.

"The majority of the Supreme Court is essentially saying that the Legislature is above the law. It's now clear that unless the constitution is amended the Legislature is free to ignore any laws on the books," Barca said. "I had hoped the Supreme Court would recognize the importance of our open government tradition and the necessity of public participation in a democracy."

The Supreme Court intervened in a lawsuit filed by Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne in March. Ozanne's lawsuit alleged that GOP legislators convened a committee meeting without the proper public notice moments before the Senate passed the collective bargaining measure.

Dane County Judge Maryann Sumi agreed with Ozanne, saying Republicans violated the open meetings law the night that lawmakers approved the bill and ruled the law void. She said Republicans met on the measure without proper public notice.
I'm just going to leave this one here for you guys.. :leaving:
Old 2011-06-14, 20:52   Link #14165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
http://www.channel3000.com/politics/...03/detail.html

I'm just going to leave this one here for you guys.. :leaving:
Frankly, whether the union law is good or bad kind of pales in comparision to the evisceration done to open and transparent governing. This *will* come back to bite hard when different folks who may not be friendly have this tool set.
Old 2011-06-14, 21:12   Link #14166
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Frankly, whether the union law is good or bad kind of pales in comparision to the evisceration done to open and transparent governing. This *will* come back to bite hard when different folks who may not be friendly have this tool set.
Kind of like how the Democrats ran out of the state because they knew they didn't have the votes to stop it.
Old 2011-06-14, 21:17   Link #14167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Kind of like how the Democrats ran out of the state because they knew they didn't have the votes to stop it.
They probably don't have a filibuster option like the federal level does. The point I'm making is that there may have been some "own foot shooting" by undercutting the open meeting rules that will come back and bite Walker's people in a future administration. I don't view the ruling as good news for any party.

In other news.... possibly the first GOP potential who might not be a disaster is preparing to announce a 2012 run:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
Former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman will announce his bid for the White House next Tuesday, bringing a moderate Republican and expert on America's fastest growing competitor into the race to challenge President Barack Obama in 2012.
"I intend to announce that I will be a candidate for the presidency a week from today," Huntsman, former U.S. ambassador to China, said at an event hosted by Thomson Reuters.
The formal announcement of his candidacy will be made on June 21 near the Statue of Liberty, a source close to Huntsman said.
Huntsman, 51, is one of the few Republican hopefuls who worries Obama's re-election team, though his name recognition across the country is low.
Fluent in Mandarin Chinese, he upset the White House in April by quitting his job as ambassador in Beijing to return to the United States and plan his election campaign.
Old 2011-06-14, 21:24   Link #14168
justinstrife

If the Democrats don't want to participate in the voting process in the Legislative, they don't have much room to speak when they leave their state and hide. Also, from what I've read, the Republicans didn't do anything illegal. In poor taste, I can agree, but they didn't actually break the rules.

I don't have much faith in any of the Republican 'hopefuls'. And I certainly won't be voting for Romney, should he win the Republican Nomination. The odds of there being a decent candidate in 2012, is slim at best.
Old 2011-06-14, 21:37   Link #14169
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Regarding Huntsman for president, he may not have the name recognition to have much chance at running for president, but he might be a good vice-presidential candidate...
Old 2011-06-14, 21:51   Link #14170
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gulf states vow to seek end to Yemeni crisis
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...73L1PP20110614
They probably want Saleh to go back
Old 2011-06-14, 21:59   Link #14171
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Anyone else been following the Casey Anthony trial? I've been watching it for the past week on Headline News. I think it's pretty obvious she killed her child, but I get a chuckle every time one of the news broadcasters attempts to say the prosecution has a weak case.
Old 2011-06-14, 22:15   Link #14172
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The dark side of South Korean pop music
Old 2011-06-14, 22:28   Link #14173
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
nothing new here.
Old 2011-06-14, 22:36   Link #14174
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Yeah, both K-pop and J-pop have the shelf life of 15 seconds.
Old 2011-06-14, 22:39   Link #14175
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

it's not just k-pop... it's the entertainment industry there as a whole

you know you've dug enough if you knew what happened to Jang Ja-yeon...
Old 2011-06-14, 22:47   Link #14176
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
it's not just k-pop... it's the entertainment industry there as a whole

you know you've dug enough if you knew what happened to Jang Ja-yeon...
over 2 yrs. hows the investigation going? Are the Korean police still looking for the culprit with OJ on the golf course?
Old 2011-06-15, 05:56   Link #14177
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Greek police fire tear gas at protesters
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...06-15-06-22-25
Old 2011-06-15, 07:49   Link #14178
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

LulzSec opens hack request line

I wonder if they'll hack Fox News.
Old 2011-06-15, 08:47   Link #14179
killer3000ad

China 'will not use force' in South China Sea disputes
Quote:
China has said it will not resort to the use of force to resolve maritime border disputes in the South China Sea.

Several Asian nations claim territory in the South China Sea, which includes important shipping routes and may contain oil and gas deposits.

On Monday, Vietnam staged live-fire drills after weeks of rising tensions between the two nations.

Vietnam has also issued a decree specifying who would be exempt from military call-up in a time of war.
Old 2011-06-15, 10:24   Link #14180
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

How pasta became the world's favourite food

I love pasta. Anyone else does?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international