AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-12-25, 21:28   Link #1
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The Rise of Tourism-themed Anime

In roughly three years, Tokyo will host another Olympic games, and Japan has been maximizing the tourism aspect of the country by loosening Visa requirements and allowing tourism-related services and merchandise to be accessible in English.

However, one thing stands out to anime fans nowadays, and that is the rise of tourism in anime shows. 2016 alone shows that the trend is getting stronger: Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari showed a strong, almost documentary-like, focus on the suburban life in Kagawa prefecture; Flying Witch showed Aomori prefecture in the eyes of a witch; and even Kumamiko "made an attempt" in showing Sendai. There's also KyoAni delivering their own twist of Kyoto tourism in Hibike! Euphonium 2. Looking ahead, P.A. Works has greenlit the original anime series Sakura Quest, which talks about a tourism plan straight from Japan's recent history, as well as the sixth season of Natsume Yuujinchou, which is set in Kumamoto prefecture.

Long ago, I opened a thread on anime tourism and how it can work for some (like Ooarai in Girls und Panzer and the basis for Kissui-sou in Hanasaku Iroha) and utterly fail for others (like the excessive tourism pandering of Kamogawa in Rinne no Lagrange), but it's all the more relevant nowadays since more shows are made with the consideration of promoting certain places or other cultural assets of Japan. It might come to a point that one might need a book or wiki to document every single anime and which place/s it promotes since the current situation seems to point to "an anime for every prefecture in Japan".

As the 2020 Tokyo Olympics approaches, is everyone expecting this eagerness for tourism in anime to intensify? Also, what is your fearless forecast for anime adaptations with a tourism-related aspect that are likely to get an anime within the next three years? Additionally, do you think they are doing a good job in getting the migrated city folk back to the prefectures they left behind?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2016-12-25 at 21:44.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 23:36   Link #2
judasmartel
*Author

Anything set in the Kansai region should be fine in my book, because really, the place itself has been very much underrepresented, yet its people are getting stereotyped in anime a lot, though this has died down to the point that Kansai characters already act like the common denizens of Tokyo. And since Osaka is very well known for the food IIRC, I think a cooking series a la Shokugeki no Soma set in Osaka could feature well in the next three years.

I could also see the Saitama prefecture getting featured within the next 1-2 years (a Nanamaru Sanbatsu / 7o3x anime has been announced, that series itself is set there), but I guess there's going to be a lot of jokes about a nerdy quiz bowl anime series set in a place with the same name as the One-Punch Man himself.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 02:14   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Anything set in the Kansai region should be fine in my book, because really, the place itself has been very much underrepresented, yet its people are getting stereotyped in anime a lot, though this has died down to the point that Kansai characters already act like the common denizens of Tokyo. And since Osaka is very well known for the food IIRC, I think a cooking series a la Shokugeki no Soma set in Osaka could feature well in the next three years.
Kyoto is the only prefecture that had a constant exposure in anime due to its historical past and frequent association with the supernatural, so I agree.

Quote:
I could also see the Saitama prefecture getting featured within the next 1-2 years (a Nanamaru Sanbatsu / 7o3x anime has been announced, that series itself is set there), but I guess there's going to be a lot of jokes about a nerdy quiz bowl anime series set in a place with the same name as the One-Punch Man himself.
7O3X might not have a strong focus on tourism, though. I have to clarify that not all anime shows should have tourism at the back of their minds every time.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-12-26, 04:41   Link #4
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
7O3X might not have a strong focus on tourism, though. I have to clarify that not all anime shows should have tourism at the back of their minds every time.
Agreed. I was just wondering if it's enough to set an anime in some place other than Tokyo to promote tourism or something. I guess not.

I would also like to add that there really isn't a lot of anime set in Aichi, although it has always been a sporting powerhouse in anime (I'm not sure about real life, though), with all the hype about the 2020 Tokyo Olympics considered. But I also noticed a trend that anime with some tourism on them tends to focus on the countryside with only minimal hints of the urban areas nearest to the place featured. I tend to treat Aichi as some kind of an urban area like Tokyo because a lot of strong opponent teams in sports anime are from this place.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 05:00   Link #5
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

If I want tourist based anime. It should be focus on something unique in that area. at least it mirror what is our expectation when we go there. Tamayura proably first thing that i can think of that invoke this feeling. They dont treat landmark as something the should show.

ALso they should make it not just random setting anime and add few landmark just to make it tourist. There should be solid reason why creator chose that area compare to others.

Alternatively, instead focusing on one place. It can focus on one activity and how it variety over other places. For example will be Yama no Susume where it exploring climbing in different places. I must prefer that one since it ten to be more interesting than random city/village as focus.

More Okinawa and Hokkaido please. surprisingly under representative in anime.

one more thing: Some of anime "tourism" promotion only resulting them to become "mascot" of that place. Which resulting instead promoting existing culture it instead promote "Otaku" culture. Classic example is Washinomiya Shrine who become Lucky Star pilgrimage

Last edited by RRW; 2016-12-26 at 05:11.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 07:50   Link #6
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
one more thing: Some of anime "tourism" promotion only resulting them to become "mascot" of that place. Which resulting instead promoting existing culture it instead promote "Otaku" culture. Classic example is Washinomiya Shrine who become Lucky Star pilgrimage
It's not necessarily a bad thing, considering that each prefecture probably already has a mascot to represent each prefecture (Kumamon for Kumamoto, for example) and Japan's mascot culture in general. Anime characters turned into mascots for certain prefectures is just something natural to them, I guess.

But I do agree that forcing tourism aspects in an anime series ruins the appeal of it to many people. Honestly, certain aspects of Udon no Kuni, like the "ambassador" appearing at the next episode preview and the focus on a certain tourist spot or culture aspect on each episode, are already stretching it when it comes to the balance between the story and the tourism promotion. Fortunately, the story was able to overcome it. (Interestingly though, the story did not focus much on Kagawa prefecture being the "kingdom of udon".)

Old 2016-12-26, 10:43   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
More Okinawa and Hokkaido please. surprisingly under representative in anime.
I can think of two shows set in those locations. Blood+ opens in Okinawa and makes a couple of disparaging references to the American base there. That begins an anti-American theme which pervades the story.

Noein is set in Hakodate, the port city in Hokkaido, and includes many of its features in the story. The ropeway to the top of Mount Hakodate figures prominently in the story, and one of its more memorable scenes takes place in the shipyard there.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The DVD includes a live-action special where director Akane Kazuki and his ingenue seiyuu Kudou Haruka who voiced the heroine, also named Haruka, travel around the city visiting locations used in the anime. At one point Kudou visits the school her namesake attended:

Enoshima received a brief boost in tourist activity after the release of Tsuritama. People were seen performing the "Enoshima dance" on the beach there. I don't know if it increased the popularity of ocean fishing, though.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-27, 11:09   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Okkinawa and its politics are prominently featured in Eureka Seven Astral Ocean and Cat Planet Cuties (I forgot the Japanese title of that one but I'm too lazy to look it up).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 16:10   Link #9
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
If I want tourist based anime. It should be focus on something unique in that area. at least it mirror what is our expectation when we go there. Tamayura proably first thing that i can think of that invoke this feeling. They dont treat landmark as something the should show.
Speaking of Tamayura I think I should point out Aria as well. Talk about an amazing tourism commercial for Venice even if that was never actually the reasoning behind that particular work.
Old 2017-01-01, 16:20   Link #10
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I do wonder whether or no "tourism themed settings" in anime contribute to getting people to move away from the "big cities" back to the more rural prefectures where they may have grown up - as shown, for example, in Udon no Kuni. It would certainly be interesting if it did though.

Tourism is one thing (I myself was greatly moved by the Tamayura series and would live to be able to visit the Seto Inland Sea one of these days, for example) but actually picking up and moving to a place is another - at least to my mind.

Does anyone know of any examples or statistics mentioning such ... erm ... "population movements" (maybe too strong a word) or "trends" to move back to the rural settings of Japan specifically because of how it was shown in anime? (Or even in general ... I could see certain places becoming popular as a place to retire, for example.)
Old 2017-01-01, 19:49   Link #11
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It would be too early to say if the movement to bring back the Tokyoites to their home prefectures is working, but at least we do see more shows talking about people seeing Tokyo as the "land of opportunities" only to find themselves going back to the neighborhoods where they were born. Aside from Souta from Udon no Kuni, there's Sakura in Sakura Quest, although the latter one isn't really a homecoming per se.

Quote:
Tourism is one thing (I myself was greatly moved by the Tamayura series and would live to be able to visit the Seto Inland Sea one of these days, for example) but actually picking up and moving to a place is another - at least to my mind.
If talking as a foreigner planning on living in Japan for good, then I agree. Tokyoites returning to Gifu, Kumamoto or Aomori, in comparison, would be a bit easier.

Old 2018-03-01, 21:14   Link #12
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I haven't watched Yuru Camp, but it seemed to inspire amateurs to try out camping. Crunchyroll even posted an ongoing multi-part article series on the real-life camp spots featured in the anime.

Laid-Back Camp’s Thousand Yen View of Mt. Fuji
The Real Life Camping Grounds of Laid-Back Camp [Part 2]

The Real Life Camping Grounds of Laid-Back Camp [Part 3]

Gobiano showed a report of a massive boost of camping figures since the airing of Episode 1, and it even urged the Yamanashi Tourism Organization to promote its camping spots through Yuru Camp.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san also brings several ramen shops to the spotlight, including Nogata Hope in Harajuku.

This is a welcome development!

Old 2018-03-05, 03:47   Link #13
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

People who want to see more of Hokkaido should definitely check out Golden Kamuy next season, although the show might not be suited for introducing tourism spots as its more about the survival aspect in the winter forests and takes place roughly 100 years ago.

But there's always Silver Spoon.

We also have an entire comedy show focused on the Gunma prefecture.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 09:46   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki. View Post
People who want to see more of Hokkaido should definitely check out Golden Kamuy next season
Or watch Noein which lovingly portrays Hakodate and its surroundings. One of the extras with the DVDs is a live-action tour of Hakodate with director Akane Kazuki and his ingenue seiyuu Kudou Haruka.
Old 2018-03-07, 03:17   Link #15
colder

Hi guys, would you consider Gudetama, an anime character? Because it seems to be really famous with the merch and there's also cafes now.
colder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 10:55   Link #16
PhoenixRising

I haven't really watched much tourism anime, but Miracle Train, I think did a pretty good job of explaining the different areas of the Oedo line since they used the areas to help people's problems.

As for in the future, I'd like to see a proper series set in Kyoto/Chiba or Nara, rather than in school trip episodes.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 18:46   Link #17
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Talking about trains. Limited time Chihayafuru Musubi wrap on a local line.

Enjoyed Yuki Suetsugu's self-referential inclusion of an earlier version in one of the earlier manga "extras / omake" too.

Regular seasonal, regional, events are tied in with Chihayafuru as well. One was recently, Feb. 25, the venue for the announcement of the third season of the animated series (2019). Recent and ongoing Digital Stamp Rally at another one of the locations. Frequent events, often karuta related, at a third of the primary settings of the manga, anime, (light) novels and live-action films...

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2018-03-16 at 09:13.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 12:53   Link #18
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Did Action Heroine Cheer Fruits made the touristic aspects of the series work well enough to gather attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
I'd like to see a proper series set in Kyoto/Chiba or Nara, rather than in school trip episodes.
There's quite ton of them actually. Off the top of my head:
Chiba: Zegapain, Lagrange: The Flower of Rinne, LocoDol
Kyoto: Kyousogiga, Inari Kon Kon
Nara: Beyond the Boundary
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2018-03-22 at 11:53.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-20, 06:42   Link #19
Renchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki. View Post
People who want to see more of Hokkaido should definitely check out Golden Kamuy next season, although the show might not be suited for introducing tourism spots as its more about the survival aspect in the winter forests and takes place roughly 100 years ago.

But there's always Silver Spoon.

We also have an entire comedy show focused on the Gunma prefecture.
Golden Kamuy was more about Ainu culture and their cuisine rather than Hokaido. It'll increase Ainu related tourism spot if not already.
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 17:22   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...triple/.130205

"Yamanashi prefecture's camp sites are booming thanks in part to the popularity of Laid-Back Camp. The area's designated pilgrimage camp sites from the series experienced three times as many visitors so far compared to last year."