AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2003-11-25, 01:09   Link #21
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

Only cable is available where I live... and I'm lucky I can even get that...

But I love my cable... just yesterday I was dl'in anime at speeds over 175kb/s... it was just amazing!!! The speed!! The beauty!!! The quicker I can watch my animes!!!

But I heard that if there are alot of people in the same area that's hooked up then it can be slow at times... dunno if this is true... its only happened to me a few times.. usually during the weekends... and I kinda live in the boonies so not too many people are hooked up...
But the cable service has been great! Haven't had a problem yet.
PiGGiEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 01:19   Link #22
Aekei

The slow down is certainly true... I live in an area where almost everyone has cable... and my download speeds rarely go above 10 kbs...
Aekei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 01:29   Link #23
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

Yes, I used to have cable but it was horrendously slow during peak hours (anywhere from 4pm - 11pm). DSL is slower on the whole but much more consistent.
Tea Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 11:32   Link #24
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Cable all the way...nothing beats d/ling at speeds over 100kbs ^_^

always connected...from the second you turn on the comp, never have to dial up, phone line doesn't get tied up...ah, so many advantages...

and if i remember correctly...cable is faster then T1
Funny, my ADSL line doesn't tie up the phone line, I don't have to log in and my top speed is around 320kb/s

I once had Cable too, I usually downloaded around 40kb/s, sometimes 80-120kb/s but never higher than that.

But my slow days are over, Iīm getting vDSL this winter, 10MB/s DL 9MB/s UL.
But I am a bit jealous of BBBs fiber customers, they get 100MB/s DL this spring.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 12:28   Link #25
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Here's a another thing, if you have "old" phone lines, by that i mean, you live in a house were they installed the phone lines like 20-30 plus years ago, You probally wont get 320kbps, you will only get around 100kbps

Oh, and dsl comes in diffrent packages, you can get the same speed as cable, but you're gonna pay about the same or even more.

but if you live in an old house, you probally wont have a choice on faster packages because your phone lines suck. or they will charge you for the higher package if you choose it, and you will only be using like 50% of your potential bandwidth but paying 100% of the price. And you cant complain cuz you never had dsl before and you dont know if the speed you have is normal or not.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 23:01   Link #26
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

I have ADSL, and you guys wouldn't believe how much I pay for it.. (256kbs)
Moon The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 23:38   Link #27
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BME
Funny, my ADSL line doesn't tie up the phone line, I don't have to log in and my top speed is around 320kb/s

I once had Cable too, I usually downloaded around 40kb/s, sometimes 80-120kb/s but never higher than that.

But I am a bit jealous of BBBs fiber customers, they get 100MB/s DL this spring.

How about going here and giving me a real test eh? And don't edit it, makes you cheap........do a test with a 1mb transfer!

www.eng.nac.net go to the "throughput tester" area
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 23:44   Link #28
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BME

Well, i might of been wrong about most of the things...but here around where i live we dont have all the options that you guys have...it's either dsl (which is as expensive as cable but slower) or cable...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 23:48   Link #29
IPv6
blastos.com

I used to link dsl but cable is the way to go ... unless I can vdsl (T1 speed both up and down).
IPv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 23:57   Link #30
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPv6
I used to link dsl but cable is the way to go ... unless I can vdsl (T1 speed both up and down).

Why not just go with a 1mbit cable line then? Seems like a better choice.....or maybe not Thats your call.
Old 2003-11-26, 09:13   Link #31
Love Witch
Trying to think...

I have ADSL, and compared to my neice, who has cable, my BT dl speed is always way faster.
She probably did something wrong, she had about 20kb dl as max :s
But I have an average speed of 160kb dl :d
Love Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 11:30   Link #32
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Send a message via ICQ to Mad Cat
Americas prices on Dsl and cable are so high, in sweden i pay 280kr for Dsl wth an upload of 50 and the same goes for download.
Viva la swedens Dsl and Cables
Mad Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 12:33   Link #33
Archuka
A territory most absolute

The DSL services in southern Finland are quite poor and the cable services slow down to modem speeds when connecting to servers located outside Finland.

Here's a list on the DSL services offered by Sonera, which I believe is the most used (though shitty) operator in Finland.

512 kbit/s / 512 kbit/s 48e/month
1 Mbit/s / 512 kbit/s 61.99e/month
2 Mbit/s / 512 kbit/s 104.61e/month

So expensive, yet so slow.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 12:48   Link #34
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zero
How about going here and giving me a real test eh? And don't edit it, makes you cheap........do a test with a 1mb transfer!

www.eng.nac.net go to the "throughput tester" area
Thatīs from an american server right? It was pretty slow. When I tested 1MB it said I had a 512kbps connection and when I tested 16MB it said I had a 743kbps connection

This is how itīs done

http://upl.mine.nu/uplfolders/upload2/tp305swe.zip <-- the Swedish IT Commsionīs offical bandwith tester

How much does a 0.5MB/s ADSL connection cost in America Anyways? My 2.5MB/s is only 449kr/month (wich is about $58 counting on the present exchange course, but thatīs only because a certain president has made the dollar cheaper than toilet paper)

I still stand by the fact that ADSL is still better than cable, even if 0.5MB/s is the only DSL option.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 13:06   Link #35
Asura
should i stay longer?

Send a message via MSN to Asura
my opinion:

DSL: it's consistent but it also depend on the quality of the phone line. Where I live.. basically 1 company owns all the lines.. And it's pretty much suck. A friend of mine who's running 56k modem can barely get over 28k in his area..
the 1 thing i find inconvenient with DSL, you got to sign a 1 year contract.

Cable: Pretty much all been said, but most cable provider i know of don't even necessiate a contract.. As of now, I'm running cable because they got the special 20 bucks deal/ month for 6 month.. after that... I'll start looking for new provider for sure. It's the "I can bail anytime" deal that's comfort me..in case bad things happen.
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 18:27   Link #36
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BME
Thatīs from an american server right? It was pretty slow. When I tested 1MB it said I had a 512kbps connection and when I tested 16MB it said I had a 743kbps connection

This is how itīs done

http://upl.mine.nu/uplfolders/upload2/tp305swe.zip <-- the Swedish IT Commsionīs offical bandwith tester

How much does a 0.5MB/s ADSL connection cost in America Anyways? My 2.5MB/s is only 449kr/month (wich is about $58 counting on the present exchange course, but thatīs only because a certain president has made the dollar cheaper than toilet paper)

I still stand by the fact that ADSL is still better than cable, even if 0.5MB/s is the only DSL option.
No point in me using you link as thats swedish now is there? But I rounded out with my link at 3600kbps. DSL here, well in my general area is expensive, about 50-70$ depending on the contract, and I think its the bottom of the barrel DSL connection, no ADSL.
Old 2003-11-26, 18:45   Link #37
Dark Zero

Sorry for 2nd post!!

Never use server location as an excuse! It does help, but regardless, it shouldn't be a factor, which it is -_-.....but still. And I never said Adsl is worse or better, its all in the user. Well I used YOUR servers and heres my results....

Last edited by Dark Zero; 2003-11-26 at 19:36.
Old 2003-11-26, 20:13   Link #38
dot|hack
Flash Tech

Lets play "guess my connection"
dot|hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 20:24   Link #39
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

lol dot hack is it errmmmm 8386kbps ? o yeah i was wondering...ya know this T1 everyone has been mentioning i understand that its really fast but how much does it cost, i bet its alot!?
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 20:28   Link #40
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot|hack
Lets play "guess my connection"
[img.]http://server4.uploadit.org/files/261103-guess.jpg[/img]
My car is faster.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote