AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-25, 21:21   Link #21
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAllEatFood
Too bad JYB speaks fluent Japanese...
I think they mean the people that do the Japanese voices also doing the English so it's the same person in both languages...
Old 2006-07-25, 22:55   Link #22
Uruz7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Well most anime is licensed mostly for North American release, so it makes a lot of sense that the voice acting sound like voices that the demographic (in which case, Americans) is used to hearing. I'd probably shit my pants if I heard a dub with an abundance of characters with Asian accents. I doubt there's any kind of abundance of Japanese voice actors that speak English fluently enough to come over here and do it for our voice overs. Japanese voice actors are also insanely popular, some are even celebrity status, so voice acting for English dubs would probably be a pretty big pay cut as I understand voice over isn't that lucrative a profession.
Yeah, it would normally make sense, but Japan is a large part of Bleach. Shinigami folklore with American accents? Totally ruins any attempt by the viewer to "immerse" themselves into the show.

Maybe it's just impossible for me to ever enjoy a dubbed show or movie.
Old 2006-07-26, 00:08   Link #23
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uruz7
Yeah, it would normally make sense, but Japan is a large part of Bleach. Shinigami folklore with American accents? Totally ruins any attempt by the viewer to "immerse" themselves into the show.

Maybe it's just impossible for me to ever enjoy a dubbed show or movie.
You ust understand the purpose of dubs. They need to be translated into another language, in this case english, so the audience of that country/culture can understand them. If the language it's being translated in has a different accent, it should be kept in order for the culture to fully understand it. My point: Not everyone that wants to watch anime are used to Japanese accents.

Besides, in other anime that focuses on culture outside Japan, they usually still have Japanese accents and/or engrish. This is essentially the same deal. If Japan can't learn how to use different languages and accents in the original versions, why should the dubs?

And random note Uruz7, you're just too used to Japanese is all. Nothing really wrong w/it
Old 2006-07-26, 00:26   Link #24
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

^ I actually enjoy dubs a lot more than subtitles for that very reason. It's just a lot easier to hear it in a language you're used to hearing. Subtitles don't really bother me but it's easier to digest things when you're not having to watch, read, AND listen all at once.

Though JYB as Ichigo would piss me off so much I'm not sure I could think about anything other than how much his voice fucking sucks for Ichigo while I'm watching the episodes, let alone try to follow what's going on...
Old 2006-07-26, 02:51   Link #25
Uruz7

I guess I'm really just against dubbing altogether.

My reasoning is that you lose a lot in the vocal translation. Subtitles are also translations but to me they are really just a guide. There's so many different little details about all languages that you can't translate into a dubbed version, whether it's Japanese, American, German, etc.

I guess it isn't so much as being culture-based but based in the intricacies of expression through language. That's why I think all anime (and any film and televsion in general) should always remain in the original language it was recorded in and subbed to whatever local language it is being shown in. You don't lose anything from the original that way.

And reading subtitles don't bother me one bit. I know that's not the same for everyone else so I accept dubbing as a necessity for wider distribution. But for me, after watching any subtitled show for a little while, I barely even read the subs anymore. And I only know one language, American. Maybe I'm just weird.

(Oh and also, most American VAs just suck IMO)
Old 2006-07-27, 06:44   Link #26
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
edit: Ishida is Keitaro from Love Hina?!! Uh-Oh...
That was the first thing that caught my attention when I read this. If you think about it though, their (Ishida's japanese seiyu and the american guy, don't feel like looking up the names) voices have a similar sound from what I've heard of this guy (in Love Hina and Xenosaga I). The thing is their tones are different, like the japanese Ishida has a much more somber/serious tone as opposed to keitaro and such, so I think he should be fine if he gets the tone right. As far as the power ranger, ehrm I can't remember too well but I think his Vash was alright but his voice definitely doesn't sound like what we're used to in Ichigo. The only other voice I'm familiar with is Wendee Lee, since she did Faye in Cowboy Bebop (awesomely I might add) but again her voice doesn't strike me as being Tatsuki. I think though, for anybody who hasn't seen and heard the fansubs of Bleach, that it will work out ok. It probably just bothers us more because we're so used to the japanese voices, or maybe that's just me...
Old 2006-07-27, 07:04   Link #27
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs
That was the first thing that caught my attention when I read this. If you think about it though, their (Ishida's japanese seiyu and the american guy, don't feel like looking up the names) voices have a similar sound from what I've heard of this guy (in Love Hina and Xenosaga I). The thing is their tones are different, like the japanese Ishida has a much more somber/serious tone as opposed to keitaro and such, so I think he should be fine if he gets the tone right. As far as the power ranger, ehrm I can't remember too well but I think his Vash was alright but his voice definitely doesn't sound like what we're used to in Ichigo. The only other voice I'm familiar with is Wendee Lee, since she did Faye in Cowboy Bebop (awesomely I might add) but again her voice doesn't strike me as being Tatsuki. I think though, for anybody who hasn't seen and heard the fansubs of Bleach, that it will work out ok. It probably just bothers us more because we're so used to the japanese voices, or maybe that's just me...
I'm a dub enthusiast, and I think this might be one of the better ones.

JYB sounds a lot like Ichigo actually, if he had more of a throat sound than a nasal sound(if you know what I'm trying to say). Ishida's is the one that's most off, IMO, so I agree with you on that... I haven't heard the actor sound anything like Ishida. I think Orihime's don't fit that well either. Wendee Lee could pull Tatsuki off, since she does Black Rose in DotHack.

I think that as long as they pronounce the Japanese names well(and don't change them), it should do good.
Old 2006-07-27, 21:21   Link #28
AoiKurenai

I don't see anything wrong with JYB as Ichigo, he can certainly pull it off with his wide vocal range, which is what a lot of people seem to miss. From what I've read though, when he tried out for the part, he used a pretty deep voice and the casting directors wanted him to use something a bit lighter in tone, so not really sure what that says.

Quote:
Yeah, it would normally make sense, but Japan is a large part of Bleach.
Not really. The folklore in Bleach is just a huge amalgamation of folklore from around the world, the menos being one of the more prominent aspects of that. And shinigami = death god, how does that make it Japanese? Lots of religions and cultures all over the world have death gods. The Grim Reaper isn't American just because his name's spelt in English, just as the Shinigami aren't soley Japanese for being spelt in Japanese. And a good chunk of the Bleach folklore and lexicon is either not Japanese or just made up from Kubo's mind. Seriously, if Bleach is heavy in one folklore, it's Spanish folklore, not Japanese.

Quote:
And reading subtitles don't bother me one bit. I know that's not the same for everyone else so I accept dubbing as a necessity for wider distribution. But for me, after watching any subtitled show for a little while, I barely even read the subs anymore.
That only works for so long before it becomes stale to the general public. No one's going to actually want to buy the DVDs when they can basically get the same thing by downloading, they need something to draw them in. Lots of American films are dubbed into Japanese, and those are usually done with good actors and sometimes they have bad dubs, just like with English dubs, it can happened whenever whereever.

Quote:
And I only know one language, American. Maybe I'm just weird.
....considering American isn't a language to begin with.

Quote:
(Oh and also, most American VAs just suck IMO)
Japanese VAs aren't much better. For every Akira Ishida you've got ten Souichiro Hoshis. Just because it's dubbed in Japanese first does not make it the ideal version. I still think Ichigo is the most horribly miscasted character with Morita.
Old 2006-07-27, 21:53   Link #29
Uruz7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiKurenai
....considering American isn't a language to begin with.
Oh, I have to disagree there. American is definitely its own language. I speak American, not English. Ask any Brit and they'll agree with me.

And my point about the cultural differences is that (to me) American accented dubs of something such as Bleach make it hard to "suspend disbelief" to enjoy the show, and Soul Society is most definitely based on feudal Japan.

I guess I'm just not very fond of my own country's linguistic intricacies. That's part of what draws me to anime. It's an experience outside of what I see everyday on TV, in movies, and just in life. Putting that American touch to it ruins it for me.
Old 2006-07-27, 22:44   Link #30
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uruz7
American is definitely its own language.
I agree with you there, when i whent to the usa i few years back i was suprised about how many words had different meanings compaired to the rest of the english speaking world. (question: is the reason you guys changed so much of the language because you wanted to be different from the brits?)
Old 2006-07-27, 23:01   Link #31
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush
I agree with you there, when i whent to the usa i few years back i was suprised about how many words had different meanings compaired to the rest of the english speaking world. (question: is the reason you guys changed so much of the language because you wanted to be different from the brits?)
I sincerely doubt that it's intentional. It's pretty natural for languages to evolve in different directions when separated. I'm sure Mexican Spanish is pretty different from Spanish Spanish. Well, I guess modern communication technology will change this for the future though...
Old 2006-07-28, 00:10   Link #32
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

It's called "slang" people (England has this aswell)...As American dialouge evolves the meaning of words (and creation of new words via hip-hop and pop culture) evolves aswell...That's why most people view "American english" as one of the hardest languages to learn when not a primary language...The word "Love" for instance can be used for virtually anything while in most other languages who origins lie in Latin there is a different word for "love" depending on what it is, who it is, or the level of "Love" you have for something...Atleast I learned alot of this while barely getting a "D" in Spanish ...I still regret I never learn Japanese when I could have easily took that class..A friend of mine spooked me out when he said how ridiculously hard the class was...With my passion for anime an other japan-o-phile-ish things I could have gotten thru it I think, but I chickened out ...

As for BLEACH I think that show has as much stylish and "cool"
dialouge than any other Japanese anime based on L*nar's interpretation...I also agree the show is far more than a Japanese-only type of world that is represented...I think alot of popular slang will be in the American version....Some people will hate, i will welcome it if it's good...
Old 2006-07-28, 00:36   Link #33
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
It's called "slang" people
Thats not what i ment , i mean for example if i asked a american for a biscut they would give me a scone (i think...., can't remember if that was the example i was thinking of but you should get the idea)

anyhow back on topic,

I hope the dont change the names of the attacks like in DBZ, instead i think they should keep the original name and maybe just put a subtitle up for its translation.
________
Tv News

Last edited by OMG_Zerg_Rush; 2011-03-21 at 14:43.
Old 2006-07-28, 00:54   Link #34
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Thats not what i ment , i mean for example if i asked a american for a biscut they would give me a scone (i think...., can't remember if that was the example i was thinking of but you should get the idea)
I prefer to think of it in this way: If a Brit asked an American for a torch, he'd be surprised to get a burning bundle of sticks. While an American might (at least I would) call that torch a flaming faggot, a Brit would think a flaming faggot was a burned meatball made of pork.

Yeah... American dialect is very different from British dialect. But the language is still English.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-07-28, 01:00   Link #35
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:

anyhow back on topic,

I hope the dont change the names of the attacks like in DBZ, instead i think they should keep the original name and maybe just put a subtitle up for its translation.

Biscuts and Scones WTF?? That's the only problem you have? I mean a big prob I guess, but that's pretty small considering what I'm talking about(Which is a whole set of words and slang based on pop-culture alone that people just learning english would never understand)...

As for attack-names...Well [adult swim] isn't toonami and barely, if-ever shows anime that is dumbed-down for children...So I expect that most if not all of the attacks will stay in-tact...
Old 2006-07-28, 05:32   Link #36
AoiKurenai

Quote:
And my point about the cultural differences is that (to me) American accented dubs of something such as Bleach make it hard to "suspend disbelief" to enjoy the show, and Soul Society is most definitely based on feudal Japan.
The Japanese have the same problem with their accents. I'm sure that the accent used in Bleach is annoying for those that live in say, Kansai or Osaka.

Quote:
Oh, I have to disagree there. American is definitely its own language. I speak American, not English. Ask any Brit and they'll agree with me.
Yeah...that's still incorrect. England, the US and Australia all speak different forms of English. It's like that for lots of Spanish speaking countries as well, it's pretty much just slang. If you want to go on slang, british slang is damn near impossible to understand. But it doesn't represent the country's language as a whole.

Quote:
Which is a whole set of words and slang based on pop-culture alone that people just learning english would never understand
Again, slang. Every country has slang, Japan has slang, China has slang, England has slang. But it's only used in informal settings, so people just learning English wouldn't even have to bother. Just as someone only Japanese shouldn't have to learn what ja and haruja mean since they aren't proper Japanese words.
Quote:

First of all, it's two different studios. Second, you can hardly compare Funimation of the DBZ years to what they've become now. I dobut any attack names will be changed. Even if they are, you can always buy the DVDs, those will probably have the original names.

Bleach is anything but a heavy Japanese anime, it uses a lot of other cultures as well that are probably harder to translate and not sound dumb. I'm not sure how "Menos Grande" would actually sound cool to anyone that would be watching Bleach for the first time on [as].
Old 2006-07-28, 06:53   Link #37
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Lets all just be happy that 4kids didnt get the rights to bleach
________
PUBLIC SHOP

Last edited by OMG_Zerg_Rush; 2011-03-21 at 14:43.
Old 2006-07-28, 08:08   Link #38
fieryshadowcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiKurenai
it's pretty much just slang.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, but I think the argument would have hit home more if you said dialect, not slang. There's national dialect, regional dialect, community dialect, and even cultural dialect (ie. slang), so... yeah. *nods firmly*
Old 2006-07-28, 18:01   Link #39
Itachi 216
Sharingan Heir

Send a message via AIM to Itachi 216 Send a message via MSN to Itachi 216 Send a message via Yahoo to Itachi 216
Post Bleach Cast Interview

I tried to get in contact with the voice actors selected to give their voices for the dub of Bleach in the US. I managed to get an interview from Steven Prince (Ishida) and Patrick Seitz (Kurosaki Isshin). Michelle Ruff (Rukia) agreed in give me the interview and now I'm waiting for her answers. I should have them by tomorrow.

Anyway if anyone wants to read this interview can follow the link below.

Bleach Cast Interview

When I have Michelles too, I'll be sure to post all three here. Until then, please go to that site to read it.
Old 2006-07-28, 23:36   Link #40
Spawnblade

Excellent
Closed Thread