Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-18, 01:31   Link #21
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post

It will definitely sell well. However, the question is whether it'll sell well enough to justify its development over that of a new Final Fantasy. Remakes simply don't sell as well as new games since they only target a more dedicated segment of an existing (and often shrinking) fanbase.
9.8 mil sold for the original ff7, just making a 1/3 of that number would make the remake one of the best selling ps3 title currently. Half would make it contender for best seller in ps3 history.
Old 2010-02-18, 01:39   Link #22
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
9.8 mil sold for the original ff7, just making a 1/3 of that number would make the remake one of the best selling ps3 title currently. Half would make it contender for best seller in ps3 history.
Exactly. FFVII is ridiculously popular and always has been... There's no reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to remake it.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 02:48   Link #23
rg4619

Quote:
You're making many assumptions. Some points/questions to consider:

a) By and large, the industry considers the JRPG to be antiquated, and a faithful remake will do nothing to change that perception. This makes it tough to attract new customers who have little interest in the genre (or old ones who played Final Fantasy VII but have no long term attachment to RPGs).

b) 9.8 million copies of FFVII sold doesn't mean you have 9.8 million potential fans to draw from. Some were likely one-time customers who never stuck with the series over the years. Some might be bored of JRPGs or might not play games anymore. Some might be uninterested in experiencing the same story twice. What's important is the number of people who want a traditional Final Fantasy today (and one they may have already played), whether they're old fans or new customers.

c) For obvious reasons, we've yet to see worldwide FFXIII sales figures.

d) Sales of other RPG remakes haven't come close to the originals. At best, remakes of declining series tend to do only as well as the new installments (which is mighty impressive, but it also means that they're merely pleasing a shrinking fanbase instead of gaining or regaining customers).

e) Does a FFVII remake serve any long term purpose?
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 07:31   Link #24
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
wait, so I was right FFXIII was gonna suck? or is that just the sells talking. does it suck?
It's gotten a pretty bad backlash. The majority of people who have played the game have said it's similar to FF10 but much more linear with no towns. Squarenix defended their decision in making the game in the way they did is because they wanted to tell a more compelling story... the thing is the story isn't good at all.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 08:08   Link #25
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
It's gotten a pretty bad backlash. The majority of people who have played the game have said it's similar to FF10 but much more linear with no towns. Squarenix defended their decision in making the game in the way they did is because they wanted to tell a more compelling story... the thing is the story isn't good at all.
i see... well, heres to FFXIII Verus *cheers*
Old 2010-02-18, 11:08   Link #26
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Replace one of those words with 'Agito' and I'd be on board.
Old 2010-02-18, 11:39   Link #27
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Why does every game these days have to be non-linear? And how is "more linear" than FFX even possible? Seriously, besides X-2 and small parts of VI, every Final Fantasy has been linear, and no one complained about it. I don't mind linearity at all. In fact, in JRPGs I prefer it over the opposite.

@topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619
By and large, the industry considers the JRPG to be antiquated, and a faithful remake will do nothing to change that perception. This makes it tough to attract new customers who have little interest in the genre (or old ones who played Final Fantasy VII but have no long term attachment to RPGs).
Those are just trends. Interest in genres grow and sink.

Quote:
9.8 million copies of FFVII sold doesn't mean you have 9.8 million potential fans to draw from. Some were likely one-time customers who never stuck with the series over the years. Some might be bored of JRPGs or might not play games anymore. Some might be uninterested in experiencing the same story twice. What's important is the number of people who want a traditional Final Fantasy today (and one they may have already played), whether they're old fans or new customers.
There might be even more than 9.8million possible buyers. Some people are hugely interested in the hype of FF7, especially since AC, but have never played the game back in the old days and don't play it now because it looks too dated / is hard to purchase these days.

Quote:
Does a FFVII remake serve any long term purpose?
Does any other game?

Last edited by ZGoten; 2010-02-18 at 11:50.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 11:48   Link #28
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Replace one of those words with 'Agito' and I'd be on board.

I keep forgeting that's a ffxiii too xd
Old 2010-02-18, 14:02   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
You're making many assumptions. Some points/questions to consider:

a) By and large, the industry considers the JRPG to be antiquated, and a faithful remake will do nothing to change that perception. This makes it tough to attract new customers who have little interest in the genre (or old ones who played Final Fantasy VII but have no long term attachment to RPGs).
i haven't seen much innovation form wRPG's either, 99% of it still just hack and slash.

Quote:
b) 9.8 million copies of FFVII sold doesn't mean you have 9.8 million potential fans to draw from. Some were likely one-time customers who never stuck with the series over the years. Some might be bored of JRPGs or might not play games anymore. Some might be uninterested in experiencing the same story twice. What's important is the number of people who want a traditional Final Fantasy today (and one they may have already played), whether they're old fans or new customers.
no one would expect 9.8 million copy of the remake to be sold but like i said even 1/3 of 9.8 would make it one of the best selling titles for the ps3.

Quote:
c) For obvious reasons, we've yet to see worldwide FFXIII sales figures.
they haven't started selling it worldwide yet.

Quote:
d) Sales of other RPG remakes haven't come close to the originals. At best, remakes of declining series tend to do only as well as the new installments (which is mighty impressive, but it also means that they're merely pleasing a shrinking fanbase instead of gaining or regaining customers).
again just 1/3 or 1/5 of the original numbers would make the ffvii remake one of the top seller in ps3.

Quote:
e) Does a FFVII remake serve any long term purpose?
long term? nothing but on a short term basis

1. provides a cash infusion to SE which it will need if ffxiii sales are as bad most people are predicting.

2. generate excitement and buzz

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2010-02-18 at 14:58.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 14:30   Link #30
ShinGundam

Quote:
Indeed
Spoiler for XD:

XD
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 14:54   Link #31
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
Indeed
Spoiler for XD:

XD
lol thats just lol

Versus was the one I always been looking forward to so can't wait for it.

Thing is with PS3 games I won't be buying any new games straight away, they are just to expensive really, so I'll be waiting for the price drops, only a few games I would consider buying when first released would be FFXIII Versus, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce and maybe God Of War 3 but if a FFVII remake swung around I'd def fork out for it.
It was the game that got me into the series and at it's time, for me was really something else to play.
On that note only other game I'd like a remake for is VIII, really did like that just as much as VII
Old 2010-02-18, 15:24   Link #32
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
the thing is the story isn't good at all.
Do you know this? Have you played the game?

Quote:
I still find it hilarious how the gaiden story ends up being a more traditional JRPG than the mainline game.

It even has a world map, for godssakes. I remember hearing that "world maps are outdated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Why does every game these days have to be non-linear? And how is "more linear" than FFX even possible? Seriously, besides X-2 and small parts of VI, every Final Fantasy has been linear, and no one complained about it. I don't mind linearity at all. In fact, in JRPGs I prefer it over the opposite.
This is especially true back in the days of random encounters, where not knowing/being told where to go resulted in hours and hours of pointless, painful battles that served absolutely no purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
There might be even more than 9.8million possible buyers. Some people are hugely interested in the hype of FF7, especially since AC, but have never played the game back in the old days and don't play it now because it looks too dated / is hard to purchase these days.
I think the original game looks more "hideous" than "dated"... which is why I'm all for a remake.

Hell, while they're at it they could make the combat more interesting.
Old 2010-02-18, 15:32   Link #33
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

This is especially true back in the days of random encounters, where not knowing/being told where to go resulted in hours and hours of pointless, painful battles that served absolutely no purpose.

back then the game creator assume the players are smart enough to follow the ingame hints without hand holding. How difficult was it to follow the direction of "head west toward the mountain of light" you character head west and if player wants to goof of and explore the world a bit before he heads toward the mountain of light what is wrong with that?
Old 2010-02-18, 16:14   Link #34
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
back then the game creator assume the players are smart enough to follow the ingame hints without hand holding. How difficult was it to follow the direction of "head west toward the mountain of light" you character head west and if player wants to goof of and explore the world a bit before he heads toward the mountain of light what is wrong with that?
The problem is that not all games did or even today do this. I can't think of any specific examples as of now, but there have been times when playing RPGs that I have been dropped into an area with absolutely no idea of what I'm supposed to be doing, then spending about an hour wandering around with no sense of purpose.

Not that excessive hand-holding is good either, of course. And thankfully, FFVII isn't like this.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-02-18 at 16:26.
Old 2010-02-18, 16:35   Link #35
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Japanese seem to have liked it overall according Famitsu and Dengeki "Best Game of Year lists, so I think backlash is a little out proportion.

Please note that whether one finds an FF compelling, or not is subjective, this been the case since FFIV. You can only determine if like by playing the game yourself. Furthermore there are "towns" just not in the "traditional" sense.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 16:53   Link #36
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Japanese seem to have liked it overall according Famitsu and Dengeki "Best Game of Year lists, so I think backlash is a little out proportion.

Please note that whether one finds an FF compelling, or not is subjective, this been the case since FFIV. You can only determine if like by playing the game yourself. Furthermore there are "towns" just not in the "traditional" sense.
i think the plummating sales and deep price cuts are a better indicator of how the japanese market is viewing ffxiii then gaming magazines which depends on ad revenue money.

[NSFW] http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...-a-damp-squib/ [NSFW]

Quote:
Troubled blockbuster corridor marathon Final Fantasy XIII is now the subject of humiliating ¥1,980 sales, whilst its sales figures have dropped to record lows.
The sale in question, for new copies of the game:
Old 2010-02-18, 17:09   Link #37
Iron Maw
Banned

The game has already sold to it's series expectations and fanbase though. Franky it's done the best it could have in this economic market. 1.9-2mil was pretty much always going to be the ceiling.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 17:13   Link #38
iceyfw

i have no clue how they're going to make the towns FF7 had in HD when they said it was hard enough for FF13 that they didn't even bother with it. it just makes my mind boggle. i'm sure they'll have a hard enough time making the "Gold Saucer" itself in HD.

and it took them HOW MANY YEARS to release FF13 for the ps3? yea i've read it was originally planned for the PS2, but count HOW MANY FREAKIN' years they had to work on FF13 for only to end up as a game that most japanese consumers did not like.

Last edited by iceyfw; 2010-02-18 at 17:25.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 17:46   Link #39
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
This issue is related to whether a Final Fantasy 7 remake will happen or not.
This is the bottomline
Old 2010-02-18, 18:02   Link #40
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
Indeed
Spoiler for XD:

XD
Meh, too much good looking dudes. Giving me that Jonas brothers, Nsync feeling.

Spoiler for dudes:

As for remaking FFVII, I hope S.E doesn't. No point in wasting time remaking an old game. It's not going to be better than the original if it's like any of the other S.E FF remakes.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote