AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-07-17, 10:58   Link #1
Ergzay

Guide to Compiling And Installing MPlayer on Linux and Mac OS X

Here is a guide for all you newbies out there who don't know enough about computers to do compile MPlayer yourselves. This is a guide for Mac and Linux users. The path to install mplayer is slightly different for both so I will have a Mac Section and a Linux section and then the final section which will be the same for both platforms.
You don't know what MPlayer is? MPlayer is by far the best player for video files on Mac OS X or Linux. Windows users have a huge menagerie of players but MPlayer I would still say outranks them. The only problem is that Windows users do not have the handy use of a unix shell ready at their fingertips. This is one time when Mac or Linux beats out Windows in something Windows does not have.

I. ---Mac OS X---
This is a guide for a complete installation of MPlayer. I will say (optional) for sections that are not absolutely necessary but only recommended.
A. You should find the install disks that came with your system or your current version of Mac OS X. Find the "XCode Tools" or "Developer Tools" disk. Depending on your version the name may differ. Insert the disk and double click on "Developer.mpkg" or something similar to that. Click through the dialog windows until you get to the package selection screen. You want to select "Developer Tools Software" "Mac OS X SDK" "BSD SDK" and "X11 SDK". Any other packages that were already selected should be left selected. Click Install and be prepared to wait a while. You will need to reboot your computer after installation.
B. You now have the full set of tools required to compile and install MPlayer. Following is a single requirement to download mplayer and and some highly recommended things to install before installing MPlayer that will allow for extra functionality of MPlayer. This includes allowing you to see styled subtitles in .mkv files. Without the extras they will be plain white with no specific font.
1. SVN (subversion) is needed to download the MPlayer source from the SVN repository. Download and install the latest version of these prebuilt SVN packages from here (unless you already have it).
---TO BE COMPLETED---
You should now jump to section (III. ---Installing MPlayer---)
II. ---Linux---
Installing MPlayer on Linux is vastly easier than on Mac OS X just because it was designed for compiling your own software. Because of the vast number of different distributions out there I will have to be somewhat vague. If you are not sure on something ask in a reply and I will update this guide.
A. On Linux there is very little you have to do. Find and install the associated developer tools for your distribution (gcc, make, etc.). Make sure your freetype version is 2.0.9 or higher. To check your version of freetype run 'freetype-config --ftversion' in a Terminal.
B. There is a vast list of optional stuff you can install to allow for extra functionality. Fontconfig is helpful for dealing with subtitles so I recommend you install it. You might also want SDL to allow for extra video output methods. I won't go too detailed otherwise this guide will become too long.
You should now jump to section (III. ---Installing MPlayer---)
III. ---Installing MPlayer---
This is by far the most detailed step and difficult if you have little computer knowledge. I am covering a wide base now including Linux and Mac OS X so I will occasionally have a certain step branch for a bit into separate Mac OS X and Linux sections.
A. The first thing to do would be to pick a place to store the source code files of MPlayer. I recommend your home directory and that is what this guide will be assuming from here on. The universally used method of referring to your home is ~. If you see this symbol in a path that means from your home directory (the Terminal application knows this so you can just type it).
1. The first step to do is to download the MPlayer source from the SVN repository. Open up a terminal window (Mac Users: It is located in /Applications/Utilities). Go to your home directory if you are not already. Copy 'svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer' into your Terminal and hit enter. The correct result is a scrolling list of files being downloaded. It will automatically place these files in a mplayer directory for you.
2. While the previous step is running you can begin on this next step. Now you should download the extra codecs required to increase the list of file formats that MPlayer can play. (Linux Users: Optional but Recommended: You should go here and download the "essential codecs package" from one of the many mirrors listed and run 'tar -xjf essential-########.tar.bz2 essential-########' replacing the #'s with the ones from your file. Next run 'mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/codecs/' then 'sudo cp ~/essential-########/* /usr/local/lib/codecs/' ) (Mac Users: Optional but Recommended: You should go here and download the "RealPlayer 9 Mac OS X" codec package. Move it to your home directory and run 'unzip rp9codecs-macosx-########.pkg.zip' replacing the #'s with the ones from your file. Next run rp9codecs-macosx-########.pkg by double clicking it and clicking through the installer to install. Now run 'touch ~/.profile' then 'open -e ~/.profile' This should open TextEdit showing the file. Add this line (without the first and last ' ') to the file then save and close it: 'export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11##/bin"' replacing ## with the one on your computer. To find what that is type 'ls -d /usr/X11**'. Quit and reopen Terminal. )
B. MPlayer is now ready to compile and install. Type 'cd ~/mplayer' to change into the mplayer directory. (Linux Users: Run './configure' or if you would like the GUI for mplayer as well run './configure --enable-gui' although you will also need to download and install a skin for it to work, which I will not be going over in this tutorial.) (Mac Users: Run './configure --with-extraincdir=/usr/X11##/include/ --with-extralibdir=/usr/X11##/lib/' replacing ## with the one on your computer as before in section A2.) This should take about a minute to run. After it finishes type 'make' and hit enter. MPlayer is now Compiling.
1. While MPlayer compiles there is an extra but highly recommended step to do (almost required for any kind of soft-subtitle support). Go here and download one of the fonts. Probably the first one would be best and is the one I am assuming. Put the file in your home directory if it isn't already. Run 'tar -xjf font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2' from your home directory. You now have a choice of 4 sizes of font for the OSD. I recommend 18 pt font as that works best. Run 'sudo cp font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-##-iso-8859-1/* /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/' replacing ## with the font size that you choose.
2. If MPlayer is not yet done compiling then go do something while it does. This could take anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour depending on the speed of your computer. When mplayer is done type 'cd mplayer' again to go back into the mplayer directory and run 'sudo make install'. Congratulations MPlayer is now installed!
IV. ---Running Mplayer---
MPlayer is run only from the command line (unless you have Linux and then you have a gui but not a very good gui and even then it is better to run it from the command line). Open Terminal and run 'mplayer <filename>' where <filename> should be replaced with the file you wish to play. You can do this easily on Mac OS X and on some distributions of Linux by typing 'mplayer ' (with the space) and then dragging and dropping a file onto the Terminal window. You then hit enter to play the file. To control mplayer the left and right arrow keys fast forward and rewind 10 seconds while the up and down arrow keys fast forward and rewind 1 minute. The space bar is the pause and play button. Hit the f key to go into full screen. q and esc to quit. d to cycle through the types of framedropping. m to mute. Hit b to cycle through available subtitles and v to turn subtitles on or off. For a full list of commands and command line options you can give MPlayer type 'man mplayer'.
Optional: To make it so that subtitles are always on type 'touch ~/.mplayer/config' then (Mac Users: type 'open -e ~/.mplayer/config) (Linux Users: open ~/.mplayer/config with your favorite text editor). Add the lines 'sid=0' and 'ass=1' to the the file on separate lines. To turn on a post processing filter that mplayer has which will take video that doesn't look perfect and make it look better (works best on anime episodes that do not look perfect but are close to perfect) add vf=pp to the above mentioned config file or to try the option one time do 'mplayer -vf pp <filename>'.
There is one final question I have for any mac user who is around. Preferably you are a mac user who has installed only developer tools and no other 3rd part UNIX related software. Could you please run 'freetype-config --ftversion' and 'ls /usr/X11**/*fontconfig*' and tell me the veresion of Mac OS X you have. I need this information to complete the ---TO BE COMPLETED--- section in my guide.

I am requesting that this guide be stickied.
Old 2006-07-17, 11:07   Link #2
Ergzay

Oh and one other thing, please if anyone spots spelling or grammar errors, please tell me. I did not grammar check this. I only spell checked it.
Old 2006-08-06, 01:42   Link #3
Lungkisser

Exclamation Help!

I need some help. I'm following your guide step by step and I'm relatively sure I haven't done anything wrong. (For the record, I have an Intel Core Duo Mac Mini upgraded to 2GB of RAM.) I don't have any experience personally with Terminal although I have followed your guide step by step. Here's what happens to me:

Quote:
'config.h' and 'config.mak' contain your configuration options.
Note: If you alter theses files (for instance CFLAGS) MPlayer may no longer
compile *** DO NOT REPORT BUGS if you tweak these files ***

'make' will now compile MPlayer and 'make install' will install it.
Note: On non-Linux systems you might need to use 'gmake' instead of 'make'.

Please check mtrr settings at /proc/mtrr (see DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#mtrr)

Check configure.log if you wonder why an autodetection failed (check whether
the development headers/packages are installed).
Do not report compilation errors if you used any of the --enable-* options
(except --enable-gui and maybe --enable-debug).

If you suspect a bug, please read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.

You've disabled VIDIX. Although it would be better to PORT it instead.
Have a look at the documentation for supported cards!

carl-parkers-computer:~/mplayer Lungkisser$ make
./version.sh `cc -dumpversion`
make -C loader
cc -I. -I.. -I../libvo -I../../libvo -fno-PIC -O4 -march=pentium-m -mtune=pentium-m -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mdynamic-no-pic -falign-loops=16 -DSYS_DARWIN -DCONFIG_DARWIN -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/src/DVB/ost/include -I/usr/src/DVB/include -I/usr/include/dxr2 -I/usr/local/include/cdda -U_FILE_OFFSET_BITS -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -DMPLAYER -D__WINE__ -c pe_image.c
In file included from wine/winnt.h:1043,
from wine/winbase.h:5,
from pe_image.c:56:
wine/poppack.h:5: error: too many #pragma options align=reset
In file included from wine/winnt.h:1494,
In file included from wine/winnt.h:2170,
In file included from wine/winnt.h:2667,
In file included from wine/winbase.h:1083,
In file included from wine/module.h:76,
from pe_image.c:60:
In file included from pe_image.c:61:
wine/debugtools.h:67: warning: useless type name in empty declaration
pe_image.c: In function 'fixup_imports':
pe_image.c:315: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'LookupExternalByName' differ in signedness
pe_image.c:336: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'LookupExternalByName' differ in signedness
make[1]: *** [pe_image.o] Error 1
make: *** [loader/libloader.a] Error 2
As you can see, the first step, the ./configure --with-extraincdir=/usr/X11R6/include/ --with-extralibdir=/usr/X11R6/lib/ (and yes, I'm sure it's supposed to be R6) goes fine but after I do "make" I get those Errors and it quits and brings me back to the command line. What to do?

Last edited by Lungkisser; 2006-08-06 at 12:00.
Old 2006-08-06, 03:22   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Noice addition, since there seem to be a lot of Linux users which aren't in the know these days @_@. Strange ain't it. I feel this may be most useful for our Mac OS X brethren, who unfortunately usually get ignored because few fansubbers if any have Macs .

I'd say I would add a win32 compilation guide as well, but it's not really needed for Windows users. We have plenty of mplayer builds and the guide wouldn't differ much from yours anyways . Though I think you may need to a bit more indepth in the most basic of steps, such as where to get the proper gcc/make/binutils/etc tools. I think that is the common problem for newbies, they have no clue whatsoever where to go or what tools to start with. After that give them exact commandlines / pictures (windows folks of course) and the newbies flourish n_n.
Old 2006-08-06, 03:43   Link #5
LytHka
Banned

A note should be added to the guide: 'sudo' is used instead of switching to root access on ubuntu and kubuntu. If you're on a system such as SuSE or gentoo, you need to switch to 'root' user before 'make install'.

@Lungkisser: You can try installing a different compiler. I couldn't compile mplayer with nothing but GCC 3.4.6.
Old 2006-08-06, 12:35   Link #6
Lungkisser

Well, I deleted everything and started from scratch with the guide and it seemed to be going okay but still failed with the same error, although I thought it got further. Sigh.

Last edited by Lungkisser; 2006-08-06 at 16:27.
Old 2006-08-30, 21:31   Link #7
illdiealonlyazn

osx

if you can please help me i also get the error 1 and when i try to play it seems im still missing h264 and nearly all other video support. Did i forget to add these in somewhere or were they supposed to be added on your own? How would i go about doing this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 2006-09-08, 10:16   Link #8
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
Basic Linux compilation 101 =

./configure
make
su -c "make install"

And that covers it, pretty much. I did that with the latest svn (well, latest being Monday I think) and no problems so far. the configure script will let you know what dependencies you're missing.

Alternatively, you could always use your distribution's package system, be it rpm, apt-get, yum etc.

I'll post a log of my terminal output compiling mplayer when I get back to my *nix box for the nix users.
Old 2006-09-09, 02:30   Link #9
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
Thumbs up

Ok...here we go! Everything will be verbatim coupled with actual terminal output.

1. SVN Checkout
Self explantory:
Code:
[movax@bulldog tmp]$ svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
and you end up with the mplayer source tree. Now onto Configuration!

./configure
Oooh, the ever bastard ./configure. In this case, I have chosen to only specify --enable-large-files since I like to view DV/lossless files. So here we go! (Note you have to change directory into the mplayer folder you checked out now!)
Code:
[movax@bulldog mplayer]$ ./configure --enable-largefiles
And now...output!
Spoiler for output:

(Alright, I'm continuing this from when I started at 10am Friday and its now 3am Saturday after a long day of partai^2, so stick with me here )

Anyways, you can tell by the ./configure output that this installation would not work well for encoding! It's missing x264 and xvid primarily for encoding, and aac encoding as well. But importantly, libdts is not covered by libavcodec! You will need to grab and compile that separately (again, the simple 1. ./configure 2. make 3. su -c "make install"). To sum, this installation will be sufficient for most anime releases except those that use DTS audio of course with no extra packages needed. If you wanna go for the DTS support, 'ey go ahead.

make && make install
And now...you make. I did
Code:
[movax@bulldog mplayer]$ make > mplayer.make.log
personally, so it would save the make output to a log file for later viewing. It's very long and mostly uneventful so I won't be pasting that one here.
And now, you run the install. Either run su to change to root or do
Code:
su -c "make install"
Either way, you need the root password. Just a matter of preference though some distros are geared towards using the latter exmaple. Nothing real important here though. In fact the only really evenful things are:
Code:
install -m 755 -s mplayer /usr/local/bin/mplayer
*** Download font at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/dload.html
*** for OSD/Subtitles support and extract to /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/
The first is where it puts mplayer (/usr/local/bin, so everyone can run it), and the second is slightly more important. "Why do I need fonts? Hmm..." Well, mplayer needs them to display subs and the pretty OSD.

Font Package ZOMG
Alright, so you've grabbed the font package off mplayer's site. In fact, there's only really one to grab: font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2
Decompress it:
Code:
[movax@bulldog downloads]$ bunzip2 -cd font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -
Now there are several ways to go about pointing mplayer in the right direction. The archive creates a folder called font-arial-iso-8859-1/, which is subdivided into font-arial-xx-iso-8859-1/, where xx is the font-size. I personally use 18, it works a-ok.

You can either copy copy the contents of font-arial-xx-iso-8859-1/ to /usr/local/share/mplayer/font, or create a symlink. Being naturally lazy, I decided to make a symlink. (Meaning the font-arial-iso-8859-1/ folder needs to reside forever in downloads. Oh well. Or you could move it and make the symlink to that, e.g. instead of /home/movax/downloads/arial-blah, move it to /home/movax/arial-blah and make the symlink to that) So, either: (note you must be root for these both!)
Copyin' Files:
Code:
[root@bulldog downloads]# cp /home/movax/downloads/font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-18-iso-8859-1/ * /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/
That'll actually copy the files over, you can safely delete the temp files.
Symbolic Link:
Code:
[root@bulldog downloads]# ln -s /home/movax/downloads/font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-18-iso-8859-1/ /usr/local/share/mplayer/font
which links font/ to the directory in downloads. Listing /usr/local/share/mplayer/font now gives us:
Code:
[root@bulldog mplayer]# ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    69 Sep  8 17:13 font -> /home/movax/downloads/font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-18-iso-8859-1/
Hurrah, symbolic link! I hear Vista is gonna have them. About time.

NOTE! You can actually get away with copying the fonts to /home/user/.mplayer/font ! Naturally, only "user" can use these fonts now, but its good to know if you don't have root access for some reason.

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! Let's run mplayer!
Code:
[movax@bulldog ~]mplayer test.avi
And if all went well...mplayer will popup with a nice X Window containing your video stream! Common uses of mplayer...

DVD:
Code:
[movax@bullldog ~]mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /media/THE_ROCK -alang en
Chooses DVD Tile 1 from the DVD Disc mounted at /media/THE_ROCK, and chooses the English Audio Stream.[/code]

Regular files do not require any special syntax, though you can easily fix AR errors (I need to this on mine because my Intel 915 is retarded and does not support 1680x1050 monitors)
Code:
[movax@bulldog ~]mplayer blah.avi -monitoraspect 16:10
That's about all I can think off to add right. Took me about ten minutes or so to complete the process, mostly spent waiting for the compile to finish. Hopefully this'll help!

Note to Mac Users: READ ./configure --help! There are several Mac-OS specific options.
Old 2006-11-07, 14:24   Link #10
Deathsaint

iam tryin to play OGM file at MPlayer but i need to change the track audio and the subs on it can someoine tell me how to do,pls..aslo i tried to active the command line as the help says but it says at the termenal file not found...so pls help
Old 2006-11-07, 14:49   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

If the filename has spaces or other funny characters in it, you should use quotes around it. Like so:
Code:
mplayer -alang jpn -slang eng "some funny file.ogm"
Also, if you're not in the directory in which your file is (use cd "X:/directory name" to move to it), you need to specify a full path to it. Same thing goes for the mplayer executable, unless you've added the directory in which it resides to the PATH environment variable.

Read the manpage to find out which buttons to press to turn on/off subtitles and how to switch the tracks. Unfortunately, AFAIK you can't switch audio tracks on the fly.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-11-07, 15:23   Link #12
Deathsaint

thanks for the code...but i dont get it about the path thing(workin on Mac OS X) and iam kind of new to Mac so can explain to me wat to do,please?

PS: idont know how active the command line(is it the termenal one?) and how to enter the code in it ,pls explain..,iam sorry i guess its troublesome :P

Last edited by Deathsaint; 2006-11-07 at 15:37.
Old 2006-11-08, 07:57   Link #13
TheFluff

1. Locate your Applications folder. In it, there should be another folder called Utilities. (if your MacOS installation is in some other language than English, they'll be called something else - figuring out what is left as an exercise to the reader.)
2. Run the Terminal program.
You should now get small white window that says "Welcome to Darwin" and then gives you a prompt with your username.
3. Find out if MPlayer can be found by typing which mplayer and hitting enter. If nothing happens, Terminal couldn't find it. If it could, it should say something along the lines of /blah/foo/mplayer.
If Terminal couldn't find MPlayer, you have to find where it is manually. Use the cd and ls commands to find out where MacOS X hides your harddrive (IIRC it's something like /mnt/Harddrivename but it was ages since I used OS X, so I'm not sure).
When you've found MPlayer's directory, you may then add that directory to your $PATH environment variable by modifying the .bashrc or .cshrc file in your home directory, but doing so is nontrivial for a person with no prior Unix experience and isn't strictly needed.
4. Now find out where the video file you want to play is. Navigate to its directory using cd. If Terminal could find mplayer in the previous step, you can now say
Code:
mplayer -parameters "video.avi"
and everything will work. If Terminal couldn't find it, you must say
Code:
/mnt/Harddrive/mplayer/mplayer -parameters "video.avi"
instead. (Obviously, you need to replace the path to MPlayer with the one on your computer.)

If all this seems like gibberish to you, I suggest you get a GUI version instead, or find a good tutorial on how to use commandline tools.

EDIT: also, please stop PM'ing random people with your questions. If I have the time and will to reply to the thread, I will, but if not, PM'ing me will only be annoying. This is basic forum ettiquette: never PM people with questions. Post it in a thread. The forum is a forum, not an instant messenger.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-11-08, 08:58   Link #14
Deathsaint

Thanks for the reply..and iam sorry for PM i sent
Old 2006-11-08, 11:53   Link #15
Deathsaint

I tried wat you said in the in the post but it didnt work at all.but i managed to show the Subtitles with good font at the end.

The Terminal couldnt find mplayer i guess with the code:

Mplayer (Code wanted) movie.extension

so i tried the other one:

/mnt/Harddrive/mplayer/mplayer -parameters "video.avi"

(as its path at my Mac) of course.

but i couldnt find the right path for MPlayer directory for ""you may then add that directory to your $PATH environment variable by modifying the .bashrc or .cshrc file in your home directory ""

*** i tried to do the Tip that the Help at MPlayer help said for the sym link in the Terminal but when i did it said that no such directory or file found(/usr/local/bin/mplayer)....so idont know wat to do.

I downloaded the SVN and installed it so i guess it has to create them(idont wat it does to be honest).cuz i used to run the files through the MPlayer by running the MPlayer and open the file through it.

PS: Command line Tutorial that i found were all full of info about it but its like 10-20 pages of that i couldnt understand all + i need to run the Anime at the end (OGM file) not understand all that thing...
Old 2007-01-15, 18:17   Link #16
shermanramni

A little question:

Which versions of MPlayer do support SSA/ASS styled subs?

EDIT: Nevermind. The MPlayer version provided in Livna repository supports ASS/SSA, even karaoke! (Tested with Sumomo mo Momo mo from LuPerry, Code Geass and Red Garden from gg, Kanon from Eclipse and AIR from KAA; works wonderfully.) Therefore, yum -y install mplayer is the easiest way for those with Fedora. The only change needed is to add the following lines in the ~/.mplayer/config file:

Code:
sid=0
ass=1
embeddedfonts=1
This seems to be a per-user setting.

Last edited by shermanramni; 2007-01-15 at 19:57. Reason: Updated information
Old 2007-01-27, 15:17   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Some Linux distributions offer precompiled versions of MPlayer which make it much easier for ordinary users to install. I use Fedora Core 6 and get all non-free items from the Livna repositories.

1) As root, run the following command from the prompt:
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm

This installs the files /etc/yum.repos.d/livna*.repo which gives the software updater, "yum," information about where to find the files that Livna offers.

2) Run yum as follows:

yum install mplayer mplayer-* xine xine-*

to install both mplayer and xine, the two principal media engines for Linux systems. If you're a KDE user like me you might want to include "kaffeine" in that list. Kaffeine is a nice KDE wrapper for xine that gives you added navigation abilities.

If all goes well, you should see yum start to download a lot of stuff. Most of these are the libraries and codecs you need to decode the various formats. When it's done, you should find mplayer and xine in your "Multimedia" menu offerings, and you should be able to watch nearly anything.

If you want to see more detail during a yum session, add "-d 5" to bump up the debugging level. Also the "-y" switch means that yum will not ask any yes/no questions and just install everything; works well with unattended downloads.

If you expect you might want to convert files from one format (e.g., H.264) to another (e.g., Xvid), you should include "mencoder mencoder-*" in the list. Mencoder is a difficult program to use at first because it relies on a bevy of command-line switches, but once you get over the hump, you'll find you can do almost anything to a video file with it.

For those of you in the Ubuntu/Debian world, you should take a look at Automatix, a system for managing non-free software in those distributions.
Old 2007-02-02, 22:46   Link #18
Daisetsu

FOR SOFT SUBS JUST DO THIS
verifyed to work on most popular subs such as Code Geass
The mplayer you can download for OS X from the regular mplayerhq site already supports soft subs. First try just getting that, it installs easily because it has one of those default os x installers that comes with it and all. It puts it in your applications folder. Just open it up, click about, go to prefrences. Set your settings to mirror these. If you dont' have that font pick another true type font. It shouldn't be too hard. Anything that ends in a .ttf should work.
Old 2007-02-06, 10:11   Link #19
TheFluff

Addendum to the above post: if you want softsubs that look just like the ones windows users get, click the Miscellaneous tab and under "additional parameters" type the following:
Code:
-ass -embeddedfonts -correct-pts -sid 0
You may or may not need to add -fontconfig to that, experiment and see what works best.

Old 2007-02-07, 17:59   Link #20
webziz

For some reason, when I try to configure the package, it says the following:
Checking for ALSA audio ... no

... which (imho) results in nice video, with all the nice subtitles, but no sound. It can be because of some other reason, but I think failing of alsa is the cause.

Any pointers here?

Tags
wiki candidate