AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 110 53.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 27.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.97%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-04, 13:17   Link #161
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

For those of you who are still calling Haruhi a sociopath... rewatch Live Alive after this arc is over, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
You did this?
Wait, that's dub Haruhi? Wendee Lee certainly improved from the Melancholy arc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This episode is absolutely necessary to remind the viewer just how precarious the situation is. The Twilight Zone episode I reference shows where a completely unchecked Haruhi might lead to.
I knew someone would bring up Anthony Fremont eventually.

Haruhi is not Anthony Fremont.
She's far from being as evil as him.
Old 2009-09-04, 13:18   Link #162
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Turns backgrounds back into KyoAni artwork....

And remember, during the space battle/game, Haruhi was being a meglomaniac...but never was the world in danger of her destroying it or changing it. A point Itsuki brings up when talking about Kyon and Haruhi's trust of each other.

Haruhi trusts Kyon to win this thing.
Kyon trusts Haruhi not to blow up the world if they lose.
Itsuki is envious of this relationship, though it means less work for him so he's happy about it, I guess.
Mikuru is lost...but that's normal.
Yuki is actually interested in the computer game and winning, rather than observing Haruhi. Still takes orders from Kyon rather than Haruhi.
Old 2009-09-04, 13:20   Link #163
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Turns backgrounds back into KyoAni artwork....
And that is the greatest miracle of all.
Old 2009-09-04, 13:42   Link #164
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

I like Koizumi's hair flippy-thing that he does talking to Kyon later on lol.

Anywayz, I never thought Haruhi could turn out any worse than she did before, but I guess she did. I don't think Kyon overeacted. Haruhi's treatement towards Mikuru irked him more and more throughout the shootings and it was just a matter of time before his frustration broke through. I think we all know that feeling & can relate to the sudden change of tone & mood But in order to become a better person, you have to be at your worst at some point so I can see Haruhi's developement in that ( I keep on forgetting when all the events happen in this rerun >__< )

And I think Mikuru's moe antics are working on me. I wanted to protect her from evil Haruhi throwing her into that dirty water.

And Yuki would make a cool vampire.
I enjoyed this episode <3
Old 2009-09-04, 14:00   Link #165
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
And Yuki would make a cool vampire.
*in a monotone voice* The mistress desires your presence...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-04, 14:05   Link #166
Ahiru77
あひる

I hate Haruhi. Hated hated hated hated hated this episode. Hated it!!

Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:08   Link #167
phizzy
私は美少女じゃないか?

Nice trolling bro.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:11   Link #168
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I found it amusing.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:11   Link #169
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahiru77 View Post
I hate Haruhi. Hated hated hated hated hated this episode. Hated it!!

Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.
This is what happens when you let Angry Kyon hijack your keyboard, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:15   Link #170
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I thought it was what happened when people don't even bother to check their facts before blindly posting.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:22   Link #171
velderia
Former NEET.

I thought this episode went a bit far in several different places. Haruhi seems so... flat now. It's not even funny. Maybe it's because I haven't read the light novels, but the more I watch this, the more I want to slap her around myself. I'm one of the last people to advocate violence like that.

This is a "Painful" for me. I can't bring it any higher than that. There wasn't much that I liked about this episode. Sure, it explained some things, but... I don't know. It's like rewatching someone going through a trauma. Hopefully it'll be a last 1/10.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:26   Link #172
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
For those of you who are still calling Haruhi a sociopath... rewatch Live Alive after this arc is over, please.
She is a sociopath.
She gets better.

Don't see how it changes the fact that, right now, she's one.
Many people are actually put off by this - it's their right. I still enjoy the show, but I also have the itches to slam her head against a wall and teach her some manners (yeah, violence doesn't solve things, but it's cathartic ).
I thought one of the point of Haruhi was to show, in fact, what WAS a "funny jerkass". Not just the funny sides, also the painful ones. And she still gets quite a lot of free passes and plot immunity out of it
Old 2009-09-04, 14:31   Link #173
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
She is a sociopath.
She gets better.
Sociopaths, by definition, do not get better.

Ergo, Haruhi is not a sociopath. She might have some sociopathic behavior, but she isn't a sociopath.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:31   Link #174
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Yes, right now she is very bad. It's just that in this case we can remind people she gets better because they've already seen her better (unless this is their first time watching the series).

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:34   Link #175
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sociopaths, by definition, do not get better.

Ergo, Haruhi is not a sociopath. She might have some sociopathic behavior, but she isn't a sociopath.
People, by definition, aren't gods.

Ergo, Haruhi is not god.
Hu ?

I think you forgot this is anime and not reality.
Yeah, sociopaths usually don't improve IRL. But Haruhi isn't a real-life character. So she can - you can write it as an error from the author, but that's it. She has quite a bit too much of "sociopathic behaviour" not to be the true thing in my mind.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:51   Link #176
velderia
Former NEET.

I don't think she's a true sociopath. Just REALLY dead-on oblivious to what's she is, and REALLY lucky, thus thinking that everything that comes her way will be alright and accidents/mistakes can be easily forgiven.

In this show we have to constantly remind ourselves that the Brigade minus Haruhi knows what is going on. Tsuruya was really oblivious too. She didn't know what the other members were going through and thought the spiked milk and the megaphone tapping was a cute idea.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:54   Link #177
sunny_ta
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to sunny_ta
great episode. the payoff from sighs is starting to rear its head, and it's beginning to feel as compelling as the melancholy was. i can understand the frustration some of you are having with it and its lack of plot or exciting developments, but i think the entire arc has some hidden perks to its presentation.

the theme of the arc is, as per usual, haruhi's indirect effect on the world through her emotions and desires. this is more than evident with this arc once you consider what is really going on. aside from the less discreet happenings (the white pigeons, cherry blossoms, mikuru beam), haruhi appears to be affecting the sos brigade as well. the rise in melodrama and altered characterization appears to imply that haruhi is losing her ability to deter the fictional world from the real world. her confusion between the two, regardless of her common sense, seems to be making the cast more dramatic and theatrical, which would explain things like kyon's overreaction to mikuru being abused. even the music has taken a step towards that. when you look at it that way, the arc unveils a depth that gives it more brilliance than the "behind the scenes" impression it originally expresses.

in addition to that, the continual flow of the episodes and how they never really feel like they've ended properly make the experience feel cohesive on a grandiose scale, tantamount to an actual movie. i find that especially neat.

yeah, i'm really enjoying this arc, even if i'm possibly looking too deeply into it.
Old 2009-09-04, 14:58   Link #178
ReneeBurossamu

I just watched the subs.
Even when she's drunk, Mikuru apparently still has "classified" burned into her brain.
Old 2009-09-04, 15:02   Link #179
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Overall, I've enjoyed this arc a lot.

That being said... I can really see now why they want with the chronologically disorganized order back in 2006. Not only did it give you a better climax (the kiss episode vs. Someday in the Rain), but it also spread things out in a way that may have been for the better anyway.

I can see how people might be getting tired of watching Mikuru get heavily abused week after week after week.

Me? It never really had much of an emotional impact on me until this week, but then, I'm not a huge Mikuru fan.
Old 2009-09-04, 15:18   Link #180
velderia
Former NEET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
I just watched the subs.
Even when she's drunk, Mikuru apparently still has "classified" burned into her brain.
LOL

I hope if I ever end up drunk, I'll have the same thing burned into my brain.
Closed Thread