AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-01, 18:57   Link #1
ProDigit

Looking for great Classics!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some great anime classics (pilots, and or complete TV-series); preferably Science Fiction, Adventure, or fighting. I don't mind at all if the eps are R-rated, as many classics contain adult material, not only meaning on a sexual base, but also on a base of violence.
Though not exclusive R-rated.
With Classics I mean, just after the '70's anime, where anime got out of it's infant stage, where it grew to be for adults as well (many of the pre-'70's eps are quite childish);
And just before the mecha animes of the nineties; where a lot of the episode was using CG, and little was about the relationship between people, and the mood was rather upbeat (like Steven Spielburg movies; like where focus on special effects or thrilling or exciting parts seems to be the main attention grabber of the eps..

Especially if the series has a lot of eps, was really well made, or was popular enough to have many fans back in the days; but not necessarily.
I often find a lot of gems hidden in the anime database from popular view.

I also like the eps where there's a lot of emphasis on casualties of war, trauma, shock, or things of wars are being displayed (back in the eighties people where creating anime, who truly have been in the front lines; and I often find their view on wars to be very informative/educating, meaning they know how to write down many of the war experiences, where we, as city people, have absolutely no idea of; like acts, feelings, people's more brutish/bestial/uneducated behavior.

One of such great example is the series 'Now and Then, Here and There', where atrocities where committed, children where exploited during war, women raped, people going over the shock of seeing their friends die right next to them, and having to figure out how to survive, doing dirty things like killing other (sometimes children) just to survive, and what goes on in their heads just before they pull the trigger, knowing they're doing an evil deed, but having no other way of escape or survival otherwise; etc...

Anime series I currently own, and consider a 'classic':

1- Hokuto No Ken (less character depth, but long story)
2- Saint Seiya (less character depth but long story)
3- Blue Gender (Science Fiction, good plot)
4- Dragon ball (Not the Z-series, based on a good story line; the Z-series got really popular because of the super powers and fights, but the classic DB series actually where considered a adventure eps)
5- Guin Saga (though a more modern anime, the general mood of the story is rather relaxing, like on the classic series).
6- Hunter X Hunter (original version, not the 2012/2013 version; Great character depth, great storyline)
7- Macross (great storyline, followed by OVA's, dynamite, 7, and Plus)
8- Tenkuu Senki Shurato (a mix of Saint Seiya and Bastard)
9- Berserk (generally a dark anime, but definitely should be considered a 'classic' by now)
10- Now and Then, Here and There (a lot of the EP's mood is considered classic, eventhough the ep is created around the late '90's)
11- Starship Troopers, probably the only EP I've seen that I can call 100% a classic, hasn't been finished (were I've managed to find only like 6 eps of 25min).
12- Choujin Locke-Shin Sekai Sentai (much like a mix of Starship Troopers, and Saint Seya, also considered a pure classic).
13- Round Vernian Vifam (another great example of a SF classic)
14- Slam Dunk (a very nice Basketball classic)
15- Cyber City OEDO 808 (SF Classic to the bone)

If you've seen some, or all of them, you probably will get the idea of the type of anime I'm trying to find. They're almost all drawn in the same style, with the same style of characters.
Some of them are late bloomers, created in the nineties, but many have their roots in the eighties, made after comic books created in the eighties or before.

Any suggestions?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 19:39   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Monster
Galaxy Express 999
Rose of Versailles
Space Battleship Yamato
Kimagure Orange Road
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
Future Boy Conan
Beast Slayer Erin
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Last Exile
Le Chevalier d'Eon
Macross - Do You Remember Love? movie
Liar Game (live action)
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue

Half of the titles I've listed are retro titles. The other half are from the last 10 years but are titles in a style different from the norm to what anime has been lately (you listed Guin Saga, so I dared to list some in that vein). I've tried to limit my list to series wtih more of a value on character + their relationships and ones that offer some food for thought in a moral or social sense (kudos to you for liking Now and Then, Here and There) and a couple that are a bit more on the fun side but still have the focus you want. I've included the Liar Game live action because it fits a great deal of criteria that you listed. I am normally not into live actions at all but Liar Game is my one exception.

Hope you find some titles out of those that you like. Have fun.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:51   Link #3
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
If I'm understanding what you're looking for I'd say "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is something you'd be quite interested in.

Then,even if it's not sci fi, "Grave of the Fireflies" is a quite griping WWII drama made in the 80s.

That's all I have for what I think are "safe bets"

A bit out of the box compared to what you asked for but I feel you should give them a shot:

I know you said no 90s mechas , but Neon Genesis Evangelion went pretty much against all the conventions of the time and did focus about the trauma of war and the relationships between people (though it might not seem so at first)
Old 2013-02-01, 20:48   Link #4
kitten320

Great Teacher Onizuka - while it is not sci-fi and war orientated, series were done back in 90s and explore characters really well. Most of new animes don't do it. Besides MC is very memorable and unique.

Definetly worth a try.
Old 2013-02-02, 01:36   Link #5
Zellami

If you're looking for after '70-s sci-fi war saga, Soukou Kihei VOTOMS is something I'd consider Classics, next LoGH and MSG Universal Century.
Here's a link: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=1698

If you'd like Now and Then, Here and There, Mugen no Ryvius comes next, and Bokura no (albeit starting as a game, it totally spirals into a sinister plot and parallel worlds).

People (not)coping with natural disaster - a rather recent series, but truly truthful and touching - Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

Also, I had to agree that Neon Genesis Evangelion is a must-see, especially given the perspective of older sci-fi and mecha genres. Not explicitly a favourite of mine, but definitely an A series from the 90's.
Zellami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 07:47   Link #6
Kirarakim

Rose of Versailles it's streaming on Viki, watch it now. Please
Note the first half is a bit melodramatic/soap operaish but it sets up the epic second half. It's one of the best examples of historical fiction.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, very long but worth it. Again its an epic with two great protagonists who happen to be on opposite sides.Sadly only fansubs exist at the moment.
Old 2013-02-02, 09:37   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm surprised Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms") has yet to be mentioned. I'll also suggest Baccano! despite its recency.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 10:00   Link #8
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I would suggest 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother. I don't often cry when watching animes, but this anime, with its simple dialogues and touching storyline really impressed me. I know it's not precisely the type of anime you are searching for, but please do give this title a try.

If you like this anime, then move on to WMT (World Masterpiece Theater) animes. Their animes are often adapted from well-known classical books that have plenty of messages on morality and humanity.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 10:27   Link #9
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm surprised Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms") has yet to be mentioned. I'll also suggest Baccano! despite its recency.
Only because I tried to stick to older series. When people say classics I tend to think even before the 90's.
Old 2013-02-02, 11:59   Link #10
james0246

Strong seconds for:
Rose of Versailles
Mugen no Ryvius
Junni Kokki
Soukou Kihei VOTOMS
Macross - Do You Remember Love?

For some classic movies, how about:
Millennium Actress
Wings of Honneamise
(still one of the best sci fi movies ever made)
Night on the Galactic Railroad
The Legend of Sirius
Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
(don't really need to see the series to understand the film, though looking up the wiki entry might be helpful)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:26   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Great Anime Classics:

Space Battleship Yamato aka Starblazers

One of the great 70's Space Operas.

Maison Ikkoku

The grandmother of all anime romantic comedies. Still has influence even today. Often I'll think "Maison Ikkoku did it better."

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Shouldn't require an introduction. A flawed show, but still one of the greatest of animes. There is a reason why anime is divided into "pre-Eva" and "post-Eva" eras.

Touch

One of Adachi's two great Masterpieces (the other being the more recent Cross Game). Touch follows the traditional style of Adachi's works, using sports as a way of exploring the issues of life, love, and death. Touch has repeatedly been selected in polls of Japanese mothers as the anime they would most like their children to watch.

Ranma 1/2

One of the first big anime hits in America, Ranma 1/2 is an interesting show, best described as a slapstick martial arts romance parody. It sets up a rather powerful story of angst for it's characters, and then plays it all for comedy. Also the source of all the Martial Arts and Crafts ideas.

You might also find this link to a list of "Essential Anime" useful.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 20:58   Link #12
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Iria the Animation. It's a movie, but I recently popped in my DVD to watch it and it was as good as it was when I watched it on the sci-fi channel all those years ago. The dub(same as it was back in the 90's) is good(imo) for its time and the setting is one of my favorite types.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 12:13   Link #13
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

U should totally check out iron leaguer. It's by sunrise and the DVD Raws just became available a year or two ago. it is subbed till ep 8 for English and all the subs for Ovas and series are complete for Chinese and Korean fansubs if u happen to speak either of these languages. I'm rewatching it right now and boy is it fun to watch. Its 52 episodes as in it gets a lot of shit done. It's not stretched out or draggy and the games are really exciting and I for one am one of those people that find watching sports games boring. I do not understand what's so exciting Abt the Super Bowl. But I feel the excitement in this anime. Also the bad guys are real badass! like for me i found all the bad guys in fma completely LAME and anything but badass. that's why i'm saying "real" badass. The character designs are also well done. It's just a good example of a 52-episode anime done right.

Kodomo no omochA - the genre is shoujo comedy and romance but its one of best, well-done ones ever?? So for that reason I think it can be enjoyable for guys and gals. It's like 101 eps. I would say just watch and see if you get hooked. I watched the first 23 EPs in 2 days bc it was that fun and well paced etc etc

Slayers NEXT - it's the best of the three seasons. i think you'll love it. good characters and badass characters, story, humor, bgm/opening/ending/voice acting etc etc.

Last edited by xxanimefan4_ever; 2013-02-09 at 13:44.
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 13:11   Link #14
ProDigit

I've actually found a modern anime, that reflects a bit of the older anime feeling.
JoJo's bizarre adventures.
The anime is somewhat a mix of Saint Seya, Hokuto no ken (Fist of the North Star), while still being modern.

I always thought jojo's bizarre adventures was about a young kid, but seemingly I was wrong.

It's quite enjoyable (though also quite not finished yet)!
I hope it'll have many eps, but it seems like that's not going to be the case.
They're in ep 22, and already the main evil guy has been defeated, he came back to life, and has been defeated again; his superiors have been defeated, and so the only thing left is the superiors to come back to life, and be defeated again, and then one master boss, and that'll probably be it...

I guess the series will have no more than 30 something eps in them...

BTW guys, thank you for the suggestions, I see some great suggestions in there!
I'm already looking into the space yamato series, and from there on, will look into the others!

Thanks!
Old 2013-03-14, 14:17   Link #15
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I guess the series will have no more than 30 something eps in them...
There'll be 26 episodes,and it'll wrap up part 2, there's a bunch more manga material so you might see a new season in the future.
Old 2013-03-16, 21:42   Link #16
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Rose of Versailles (late 70's/early 80s)

Rurouni Kenshin(Not sci-fi, but MC is a survivor of war/former assassin...from mid 90s)

Claymore(it's more recent but it sounds like this has what you're looking for)
Old 2013-03-17, 02:07   Link #17
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - the remake should be as good as the original
Old 2013-04-07, 21:21   Link #18
ProDigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - the remake should be as good as the original
Thanks!
I've added it to my 'to watch' list
Old 2013-04-07, 21:30   Link #19
ProDigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Monster
Galaxy Express 999
Rose of Versailles
Space Battleship Yamato
Kimagure Orange Road
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
Future Boy Conan
Beast Slayer Erin
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Last Exile
Le Chevalier d'Eon
Macross - Do You Remember Love? movie
Liar Game (live action)
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue

Half of the titles I've listed are retro titles. The other half are from the last 10 years but are titles in a style different from the norm to what anime has been lately (you listed Guin Saga, so I dared to list some in that vein). I've tried to limit my list to series wtih more of a value on character + their relationships and ones that offer some food for thought in a moral or social sense (kudos to you for liking Now and Then, Here and There) and a couple that are a bit more on the fun side but still have the focus you want. I've included the Liar Game live action because it fits a great deal of criteria that you listed. I am normally not into live actions at all but Liar Game is my one exception.

Hope you find some titles out of those that you like. Have fun.
Thanks!
I've already watched following eps of that list:
Monster (was ok)
Galaxy Express 999 (Didn't like)
Rose of Versailles (Forgot what it was about)
Space Battleship Yamato (Added to my 'to watch list', and definitely a Classic)
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars (nice ep!)
Future Boy Conan (that almost seems like a 50's anime, instead of an '80's, have watched it 3/4)
Beast Slayer Erin (I believe I watched the japanese version of it, very good anime indeed, very relaxing!)
Serial Experiments Lain (watched a few eps, didn't like it very much).
Haibane Renmei (watched a good 10 eps, didn't really like where it was going, a bit boring)
Last Exile (I believe I've seen this ep, though can't remember a thing of it anymore)
Le Chevalier d'Eon (only watched the first 2 or 3 eps, but was very bored with it)
Macross - Do You Remember Love? movie (loved the macross series, all of them)

Liar Game (live action) (haven't watched it, sorry to say, but, generally Japanese acting sucks quite much, so I won't watch it).

So added to the 'to watch'-list:
Kimagure Orange Road
Kino's Journey
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue
Old 2013-04-07, 21:43   Link #20
ProDigit

Tanks for all the other suggestions (didn't have a lot of time lately to be online, so thank you all).

I've seen:
Neon evangelion, VOTOMS,

Great classics!

Following I would not call classics in my personal opinion,nevertheless some are good eps:
Rose of Versailles, Ryvius, Bokurano, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Great Teacher Onizuka,

Eps I'll have to add to my 'to watch'-list:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Maison Ikkoku
Touch
Ranma 1/2