AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-05-28, 03:55   Link #1
Wattstax

Skipping Hentai Scenes possible?

I really like to play non-H-Games. But I can't decide to buy an H-Game because of the H-Scenes, although there some I'm interested in (f.e. Kana Little Sister, Crescendo). So, is it possible to skip those scenes or are you forced to see them?
Wattstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 04:04   Link #2
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Most games skip text when you press Ctrl (or in some cases Shift), so you are able to fast forward through them.

The other way would be buying games without H content. Two such games in the English market come to mind, 夏色の砂時計 (Hourglass of Summer) and 魔女のお茶会 (Tea Society of a Witch).

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 04:54   Link #3
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

You know, I have yet to play a eroge with an option to skip H content... You would think that it would be a good idea to have that option available for those who do not like to view H content, maybe even broaden the potential demographic so more people can buy it. However, H content aren't just there for the sake of fanservice. (well... most are, but there are a few good ones that can leave you crying) They are key scenes that can deepen the storyline, flesh out character dynamics and forge relationships. It's sort of an intimate good ending in most cases.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 05:24   Link #4
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I have the same problems with most good ero games. I'm getting into the mood of the story and suddenly an H-scene pops up and I i) couldn't decide otherwise and ii) can't skip it There should be an option to prevent the H-scenes from appearing IN GAME (they could be unlocked in the CG gallery). Damn, no designer understands me
Old 2006-05-28, 05:36   Link #5
Wattstax

Yeah, I already played Hourglass of Summer. That's a game I really like, only surpassed by Phantom.
And I understand that there are H-Scenes important for the Story, but that doesn't make it better for me. The Unlocking-Feature in the CG-Gallery would be a good idea.
Old 2006-05-28, 06:08   Link #6
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
I have the same problems with most good ero games. I'm getting into the mood of the story and suddenly an H-scene pops up and I i) couldn't decide otherwise and ii) can't skip it
To be honest, if it's a good H-game the Hentai scenes do not jus "pop" up. You'll have to be a pretty ignornat person to not expect the obvious when a man and a women become close (or two of the same sex, depending on the type of H-game)

frankly, I think of those who complain about Hentai scene as simply naiive, but that's my opinion.

Mind you the good H-games do have skip functions, often when i wish to complete it, I skip the hentai scenes after completing the characters i wanted.

Old 2006-05-28, 06:38   Link #7
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
To be honest, if it's a good H-game the Hentai scenes do not jus "pop" up. You'll have to be a pretty ignornat person to not expect the obvious when a man and a women become close (or two of the same sex, depending on the type of H-game)

frankly, I think of those who complain about Hentai scene as simply naiive, but that's my opinion.

Mind you the good H-games do have skip functions, often when i wish to complete it, I skip the hentai scenes after completing the characters i wanted.

Well, the skip I had was just fast forward, so I was still bombarded by the scenes And I do think I couldn't skip if I hadn't seen the scene at least once.
You know, when a man and a woman are in the same room doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna get hot And when they get close, I can pretty much imply it, I don't need it shoved in my face

And yes, a H-scene can pop up . I haven't played many new ero games, but in the good old ones, I had at least ONE H-scene per game that I couldn't get away from, when a normal person COULD. I hate it when they give me no choice.

And other than that, I still stand by my opinion that it would be better for the story if it was just implied, it's ruining the atmosphere.
Old 2006-05-28, 07:51   Link #8
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

What's this? Skipping H-scenes in a H-game? Can it get any more stupid?
Buy the all-ages version if you're so scared of sex scenes. Though those are probably not in English...
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 08:04   Link #9
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

That's skipping H-scenes in an decent ero game, which is a bit different than skipping H-scenes in a tentacle/rape based, plot-poorly-written, maid/bunny-outfit-FTW,yes-master H-game, where all you get are those scenes. Some people though fail to grasp that concept.
Old 2006-05-28, 08:05   Link #10
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

H-scenes are rather incongruous in many games.

Just press control and get though them. >.<

And come back afterwards
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 08:06   Link #11
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ My thoughts exactly
Old 2006-05-28, 10:58   Link #12
Wattstax

npal has said:
Quote:
That's skipping H-scenes in an decent ero game, which is a bit different than skipping H-scenes in a tentacle/rape based, plot-poorly-written, maid/bunny-outfit-FTW,yes-master H-game, where all you get are those scenes.
That's exactly what I meant.
Old 2006-05-28, 11:40   Link #13
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Ever17 has no H-scenes, it's English translated, and it's a wonderful game too. One of the best I've played (translated or not), if not the best.
Old 2006-05-28, 11:40   Link #14
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Lightbulb give it a try?

npal:
Quote:
That's skipping H-scenes in an decent ero game, which is a bit different than skipping H-scenes in a tentacle/rape based, plot-poorly-written, maid/bunny-outfit-FTW,yes-master H-game, where all you get are those scenes.
I love tentacles, though...

Well, more seriously, I'm embarrassed now, I realize I've never played an eroge, tentacle-yes my master inside or not...
Isn't it a shame?

And no, I'm not lying, I don't know why I would.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 13:52   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine
You know, I have yet to play a eroge with an option to skip H content... You would think that it would be a good idea to have that option available for those who do not like to view H content, maybe even broaden the potential demographic so more people can buy it.
(Not replying to you in particular, but it's a good starting point.)

Well, as you probably know, the good, story-centric games in Japan tend to get re-released for consoles with the H content removed and a few new characters - why include it as an option, if you can get the hardcore to buy the same game twice (or more)? In terms of the English market, my general observation is that the amount of people interested in reading through a visual novel for the story are few -- sadly, very few. To add the option of skipping the H content in a game that didn't have that option to begin with would mean making changes to the flow of the script (usually an alternate version of the script) and probably somehow adding additional options in the menu(s), and that's probably more work than they're willing/able to commit given the tiny size of the niche market. Even if you can "turn the H scenes off", that still doesn't get them into any of the common/open retail channels, so the amount of extra purchases is probably negligable. So long as the "H" option is there, the game will be condemned to a life of relative obscurity (just think of all the panicking by caused GTA:SA and ES:Oblivion in the U.S. -- granted, that's only a part of the market).

In other words, I think the reasons are financial, pretty much. In Japan, they make more money by re-releasing, and the English localizations are cheaper to do the less changes they make. Given that the amount of story-centric H-games localized so far can be counted on your fingers, it'll probably be a while still before the situation changes. (Even in Japan, it was a surprise when Clannad and ToHeart 2 launched initially as "all-ages" games, though TH2 eventually did reneg.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 13:44   Link #16
DaFool
Resident devil

I believe there are now option to play H-version or non-H version in some local (albeit non-industry) translations....for example Mizuiro. If the professional industry is as dedicated as the fan translators in reverse engineering that would be great.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote