AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-06, 00:26   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Otona Joshi no Anime Time

http://curiouscope.com/?p=1693
http://curiouscope.com/?p=1660

Quote:
Otona Joshi no Anime Time is an animation program targeted to women above 30 called Otona Joshi. The word Otona Joshi literally means grown up girls, and the word represents women who are eager to grow, learn, stay pretty and fashionable, enjoy life, seeking real love etc…regardless of their ages and their social status(single, married, with kids, no kids etc…). Therefore, Otona Joshi no Anime Time literally means Animation Time For Grown up Girls.

Each show presents 25 min. complete short story based on works by award winning & best selling female novelists in Japan. The show visualizes deep and ambivalent feelings of women in beautiful animation, a marriage of Japanese literature and animation! In each story, you may find part of yourself.

The idea was proposed by Curiouscope, and is co-produced with NHK Enterprises and NHK.

3 new stories will be aired in March 2013 on NHK BS Premium channel.
Quote:
Title: Jinsei Best Ten, Original by Mitsuyo Kakuta

March 17 10:50~11:15 pm

A story about a single career woman who is becoming 40. Though her life seems decent, she feels that she hasn’t achieved anything in 40 years. The most brilliant event in her life is the kiss with her first boy friend when she was 13…nothing more dramatic happened since then. Today, she’s going to a reunion with a big expectation to meet first boyfriend for the first time in 25 years. A comical and a bittersweet story. Jinsei Best Ten means, the best ten events of my life. (Photo: Actress Miki Nakatani and Voice actor Hiroshi Kamiya)

Jinsei Best Ten

Staff
Director: Yo Miura
Character Design: Hiroko Kazui
Script: Reiko Yoshida
Animation Director: Tomokatsu Nagasaku
Music: Mine Kawakami
Animation Production: BONES

Main Cast
Miki Nakatani
Hiroshi Kamiya

---

Trailer (it's the second one): http://www.nhk.or.jp/bswomen/special/25.html

The BONES producer on this Makoto Watanabe, so it should be a B Studio production.

The other two shorts are by Production Reed and Wao World. Someone else can provide the information if they want, I'm not really interested. ^^;
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 05:25   Link #2
kuromitsu

Good old Bones, I knew I could on you... I really look forward to this, the stories seem interesting.

Btw, the first story airs on March 10th, its title is "Supper" and is based on a story by Yamada Eimi/Amy. The voices are provided by Nakagoshi Noriko and Namikawa Daisuke.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 05:32   Link #3
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Really like the whole concept, and more anime about normal people is always welcome.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 06:03   Link #4
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I don't really watch much anime featuring older women as protagonists (although I do love Psycho-Pass because of the main heroine) but seeing Miki Nakatani voicing another anime character makes me interested. She's known for voicing Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin, so I would like to see her in action once more !
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 08:29   Link #5
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

This sounds amazing. I'm really, really happy there is a studio doing something like this... Bones at that. Looking forward to it!
Old 2013-03-06, 09:36   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This is a very interesting project. Kind of surprised BONES is doing this.
Old 2013-03-06, 10:07   Link #7
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This is a very interesting project. Kind of surprised BONES is doing this.
Has bones ever done Josei before?

In any case,thank you based NHK for starting a project like this.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:30   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The first episode has been subbed and the raw for the second one is available.
Old 2013-03-19, 11:06   Link #9
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I watched the BONES episode today. It was really good. The animation isn't anything special, but the character designs are fairly unique looking, and the script is really pretty good. A unique story which isn't very common in entertainment. It doesn't really focus on romance or a happy ending, but rather on perspective on life. It was pretty enjoyable.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 11:55   Link #10
totoum
Me at work

Watched the first episode and... my anime can't possibly be this Josei

Ok but seriously,I found it an interesting watch in a documentary sort of way, on the place of women in japanese society.
In what seems a bit ironic the story sort of presents its protagonist as adventurous since she left her husband and is having an affair with another man but at the same time I'm sure if this was shown to feminist organizations in the west they'd be outraged by some of the dialogue.

The preview of the Bones episode looks quite good,I look forward to it being subbed.
Old 2013-03-19, 13:46   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The first episode was pretty enjoyable. An interesting dive into the life of a (as good as )divorced woman in Japan. As expected, Japanese society looks down on them. That's not a subject treated very often in anime.

The mix of live-action footage and background with 2D animation was well done. All this food made me hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
In what seems a bit ironic the story sort of presents its protagonist as adventurous since she left her husband and is having an affair with another man but at the same time I'm sure if this was shown to feminist organizations in the west they'd be outraged by some of the dialogue.
I'm pretty sure feminists would hate the whole thing

The purpose of Mimi's life was to please her boyfriend.
Old 2013-03-19, 14:06   Link #12
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
The purpose of Mimi's life was to please her boyfriend.
"Having an animal at home is really comforting" pretty much sums it up.

Even if I had ever said that to a girlfriend as a joke I'd probably would have ended up with a nice slap to the face
Old 2013-03-19, 15:12   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Is this the right place to talk about the original first episode called Kawamo wo Suberu Kaze? I watched a year ago but I just want to say that I very much liked it, hence my interest in this series now.

This episode was pretty nice too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 17:14   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
"Having an animal at home is really comforting" pretty much sums it up.

Even if I had ever said that to a girlfriend as a joke I'd probably would have ended up with a nice slap to the face
Yeah, that line was pretty damn bad

He said she did the same thing for him an animal could do... and he included sex. WTF?
The script was pretty awkward at times.
Old 2013-03-19, 17:21   Link #15
Dop
Mmmm....

Hmm. I do like the idea of "anime for grown-ups" and just watched a few of these.

Of Kawamo wo Suberu Kaze and Yuge I much preferred the former which presented a more interesting story of what might have been.

Yuge did have a few good points, in particularly the mixture of live action and animation worked a lot better than you'd expect, and I have to admit the ominous sirens did make me expect an unhappy ending, but seriously WTF? I know that all the women I know would hold it in derision for its attitude.

I would like to see more anime aimed at a grown-up audience, but seriously it needs a better attitude than that.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 17:44   Link #16
Bern-san

Enjoyable episode and like other posters said, the mix of animation and live action looked quite good even if you end up hungry.

The animal comparison was a bit awkward, especially because he included sex and we saw him save a couple of kitties

All in all it was a cute story, considering her environment and how the Japanese society is. I certainly don't agree with her way of life, but it's her life and if she's happy like that then so be it.

I hope the second one can be subbed soon.
Old 2013-03-22, 09:39   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Whoa, I did not see the ending to Jinsei best ten coming

In the end, the focus was not on romance at all. It was reflection on life.
Old 2013-03-22, 09:54   Link #18
Kakkou
Tch.

Yuuge didn't do much for me. The food may have looked delicious but the live action kitchen and cooking scenes are really jarring. The food analogies the woman makes just comes off as silly (that yeast and bread thing during sex! lmao) and the story itself was nothing noteworthy. While I did get what the story was telling I guess I didn't really like that she decided her purpose in life was to give her everything to her husband and nothing else. In the end it is her life and her own decision and she's genuinely happy, so there's nothing else to say.

Oh and...

Quote:
Yeah, that line was pretty damn bad

He said she did the same thing for him an animal could do... and he included sex. WTF?
The script was pretty awkward at times.
I would've spat my drink had I been drinking during that scene. Thankfully it was an unfortunate mistranslation by the subbers.

While ikimono can be translated as 'animal', it literally means 'living thing', which is not nearly as bad as actually calling her an animal but still an odd choice of words. So in a less offensive way he meant that it was nice to have another living being at home waiting for him, though immediately telling her that she's better than a housepet kind of takes away from it in the end...

Anyway the main problem here was that he actually said: "You've been doing things that a cat, a dog or a bird can't do for me." Can't do. Thank goodness, because I don't want to know what he normally does with the above animals.

EDIT: I think we should just change the thread into a general Otono Joshi no Anime Time thread, seeing how the discussion has gone past Jinsei Best 10, plus it's pretty pointless to have threads for each story.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2013-03-22 at 10:06.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 10:31   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thank god that was a mistranslation

These lines are still awkward, but not quite as much as before.
Old 2013-03-22, 10:52   Link #20
Dop
Mmmm....

Thanks Kakkou, I wondered if something was up with the translation at that point, so good to see that cleared up.

I just watched Best 10, and that was possibly the best one so far.
Spoiler for Jinsei Best 10:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones