AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 22:08   Link #561
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
(even with the attempted cop-out "it's another personnality so she couldn't hear it").
heehee, "cop" out

Uh, anyway... why is it a cop-out? The explanation makes sense to me.

I enjoyed the final episode, though Kotoura's reunion with her mother was a prime example for me of the show's sometimes clumsy writing. I loved the more bitter stretches of their encounter, namely the part where Kotoura started lashing out at her mother verbally and a few short moments later physically, but the resolution afterwards was way too quick and easy for me. The dramatic side of Kotoura-san is well-done enough for me to care about and to be interested in and is very stirring when on-target, but at the same time clumsy and awkward enough (overly simplistic conflict resolutions, jarring shifts in tone) for me to find a little frustrating.

Still, there's no doubt that I greatly enjoyed the series and loved the characters. Hoping for a second season.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 22:51   Link #562
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
heehee, "cop" out

Uh, anyway... why is it a cop-out? The explanation makes sense to me.
It's a very lazy excuse given the rarity of the condition, and the fact that the "kind" personality could've been a mask, the "evil" personality the real one, and the scenario wouldn't have changed at all, so long as you assumed that she just thought of air-headed thoughts to throw off Kotoura, and the difference would be that the "fake mask" theory would've been far more probable.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 22:54   Link #563
HandofFate

I liked the parallel of Kotoura pushing her mother down like how the mom pushed her away in the first episode.

It kind of resolved a bit simply, but I don't see a problem with it. Not everything has to be VN-level drama sequences to reach a conclusion.

The mom makes me think this is how a tsundere acts if she doesn't outgrow it during her teen high school years...
Old 2013-03-29, 02:42   Link #564
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
It's a very lazy excuse given the rarity of the condition
I read that by the end of the 20th century around 40,000 cases of MPD had been diagnosed, so it doesn't sound so rare that I can't roll with it. Claiming that it's a copout and weak writing strikes me as just being fussy.
Old 2013-03-29, 03:02   Link #565
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Claiming that it's a copout and weak writing strikes me as just being fussy.
It's really nothing huge. It was just a filler arc with a twist they practically gave away, that was shoddily written, with the only purpose of the arc being to let Kotoura give some speech about how even though she's a freak, she can live a normal life.

Nothing really to fuss about; I'm just point out a weak point within the show.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 03:06   Link #566
Dr. Casey

Ah, I was referring to Akka, not you.
Old 2013-03-29, 05:35   Link #567
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Hm, that was a great ending. All along I was predicting a train wreck at the end where they would somehow make the mother a "good" character again. I'm glad to see that they didn't do that. Sure, Haruka can read her mother's true feelings now, but it's the fact that she still acts like shit plus she still doesn't come back into Haruka's life that makes it as a whole more believable than a fairy tail ending. Overall, I have a satisfied feeling to the conclusion, which to be honest, I didn't think they would pull off. I thought it was actually a very smart final episode. /opinion

It was a great anime that deserves 7/10.

I actually don't want a second season. My feeling is that the show concluded nicely, and everything that comes afterwards would be the typical filler-like romcom which leads nowhere. It was never about the romance in the first place, more about friendship and family, so I don't think Haruka's relationship with Manabe needs to be explored further.

PS: This anime is an excellent example of ecchi fanservice that does not interfere with the show (aka make it bad) and perhaps even added to the story nicely.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 06:36   Link #568
garbage

beautiful ending, I liked that they didn't drag the mother's mini-arc with too much melodrama, but just let it flow (explained a lot too). As muroto did say Kotoura has the tendency to self-destruct so she should just let it flow And flow they did with that ...shouold I say nice? hmmm.... cathartic pillow fight
mother's getting to be a real tsundere...well it's still a long way to full reconciliation. I think as loving and peaceful Kotoura is Forgiving herself would be the bigger wall for the mother to climb, but they're getting there. Obviously they still love each other much.
(OH! yeah and I was right !!! that guy in the restaurant hMMMpHH so he really is a lollicon! and really was eying Kotoura)

I feel that in the final episode the show has managed to at least approach the groundbreaking Ep1. Of course it would really be difficult to surpass that. So it is a good end for me.

Manabe still the man with that "confession" and remains funny too. No silly forced shyness sillyness & stuff. "I never realized I never said it because I was thinking it all the time" ahaha he really is an open book. And how about that great reaction to being "NTRed" by moritani yeah thats the way !

The Karaoke part never fails to get me ROFL, smart Mifune was ready this time with a sound blocking headphones, but Muroto removed it just as Kotoura threw down the mike now Moritani truly is part of the team after that harrowing experience ( I half expected LEON from Ixion saga to show up though )

I loved too that final scene the walk to school which brings everything full-circle but this time everything is so colorful and bright. But brightest of all was Haruka Kotoura's smile

Kudos to Kanemoto, really loving her voice now.

remains One of my (if not THE) Favorite this season.
Old 2013-03-29, 06:40   Link #569
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
I like the ending, and it resolves some of the plot points. Although I still hate Haruka's mother for being a jerk, despite being "sorry" to herself!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 07:12   Link #570
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Good ending. at least the mom problem is been resolve

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 07:54   Link #571
zero7090

i still cant get used with the mixing of comedy and drama. It feel really weird when i was laughing then bam 10s later drama strike.
Good show nonetheless
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 09:09   Link #572
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Mixed feelings about the show and its ending. It was enjoyable but at the same time it failed to meet the high expectations left by the first few episodes. Drama often took a backseat to allow for comedy to thrive, as did Manabe's serious personality, leaving him to be a hopeless pervert 90% of the time.

Can't also help but feel that they took the easy way out with the mother's issue. Oh well.
7/10...I expected more from one of the hidden gems of this season.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 10:06   Link #573
Dragoshi1
We need to upset people!

Cried like a baby during the last 10 minutes of the last episode, have to admit. I'm a sucker for happy endings.
Dragoshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 10:32   Link #574
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Even if the last boss event was kind of rushed , it was satisfying. No need for a 2nd season , it's all good like that. The confession was sweet & funny.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 11:33   Link #575
HandofFate

I wonder how kotoura will act if she takes to the alcohol like her mother does lol.

I just really like how they handled the mother. Even though Kotoura may have forgiven her a bit, the mother can't forgive herself. Which would explain her tsundere act a bit. She feels like she doesn't deserve to act like her mother, with the way she abandoned her.
Still has the protective motherly thoughts though, with how she threw back Manabe, and going to check up on her after hearing about the incident. And going with her to get more alcohol.

Like the way the series dealt with the way eyes look. Many series nowadays seem to ignore eyes altogether to express mood and its just the same blank eyes 24/7.
From Kotoura's dead-eyes to cheerful, then at the end with the mother going from her coldeyes back to the motherly eyes.

Ending credits picture showing she's showing up more often now at Kotoura's apartment to bum off food was funny.
Old 2013-03-29, 13:27   Link #576
Clodial

Not gonna lie, the fact that there wasn't a kiss scene made the ending sooooo much BETTER
Old 2013-03-29, 18:56   Link #577
taichi-kun

The end was ok but no great

Only 10min for mother-daughter chat

And her mother should dump that pedobear,but I guess I'm asking too much for a silly person like her.
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 19:49   Link #578
Dop
Mmmm....

Kind of resolving the mother-daughter conflict with a pillow fight was an amusing way of doing it, at the least.

This was one of those shows that walks a tightrope, and while it had a few wobbly moments, it got to the other side OK, in my view. A better than expected series I thought, which got off to a really interesting start but never quite returned to that level.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 20:18   Link #579
Dark Wing

Well that was a good ending.

Mother and Daughter may have an uneasy peace going on right now but it's a peace none the less.

Manabe's confession was nicely done and only in a way Manabe could've done it. Smooth move there kid.
Old 2013-03-29, 21:35   Link #580
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
The end was ok but no great

Only 10min for mother-daughter chat

And her mother should dump that pedobear,but I guess I'm asking too much for a silly person like her.
Duno where you got the idea that she is still with him after her conversation with Kotoura.

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy