AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2018-03-13, 20:51   Link #8301
Nihgthawk

Spoiler for IMG:

So who is this?
Nihgthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-13, 23:04   Link #8302
Windsgrace

@ GreyZone - Well said and explained. Consider me impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
From that ANN article :
"Arisa is somehow both the best and worst character in the show. She's the worst because, well

"But she's the best because she's literally the only character besides Satou who expresses any personality, even if that personality is that she wants to bang Satou, I guess."

Lol~ Damn right~
Aye, Agreed.
Old 2018-03-14, 06:12   Link #8303
mastermind3342
LONER TACTICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
"cultural differences" means things like the corporate slave mentality as well as the whole deal of always being extremely polite no matter what you do.

I never was in Japan but these two things are what Japanese adults are generally known for. Satou is just embodying those behaviours, but it seems the reviewer don't have a single clue about it, despite supposedly being oh so "professional".

As for the rest: There is an easy explanation for why Death March is being treated so badly by the reviewers - and others.

It's something known as the "principle of commitment and consistency" and it goes as follows:

Upfront: it's isekai smartphone's fault. If that didn't air so shortly before Death March, people's opinions about Death March might be entirely different.

Many people seemed to have the prejudice that Death March would end up being being isekai smartphone 2.0 - a generic self-insert wish-fulfillment harem isekai. They got completely convinced of it and perhaps even stated in public (forum/site/blog) that they think so.

Then came EP1 - it didn't help that the game elements were left completely untranslated. Things like the MC becoming OP and saving a girl was seen as confirmation that it would be like isekai smartphone and the initial confusion about how he got to lvl 310 didn't help either. Now they, once again in public (forums/site/blog), stated that it was a "generic wish-fulfillment harem isekai".

Then all the other Death March episodes rolled in where Satou showed behaviour very different from Touya from isekai smartphone and currently we can witness a very unusual phenomenon: The people who critisized it for being like isekai smartphone now seem to be angry about Death March NOT being like isekai smartphone, while, at the same time, still continueing to complain about Death March being like isekai smartphone. It's contradictory, isn't it? But it still happens and the people involved didn't even notice.

If you browse the forums you might notice posts like the following: "this show is such a generic wish-fulfillment harem isekai! And Satou is such a dull character who hides his power instead of revealing it! That so dull and boring!"

As you see it's first reaffirmation of the long-standing claims they made followed by contradictory "add-ons" that make no sense together with the initial claims. The "dull and boring" complain is directly contradicting the "wish-fulfillment" complain. And yet they still do it and probably don't notice.

Is this because those people are all just stupid or because they all have shit taste? Well I won't rule that out, but it's probably due to the afforementioned "principle of commitment and consistency".

That principle says that once someone admits something in public (or forums/sites/blogs) they will more likely than not, stick to it, escpacially if they reaffirm it many times over. Then no matter what kind of contradictory physical evidence appears, they'll continue to stick to it. (You might have noticed similar things in politics of various countries) At some point it even gets to the extreme where people views can become completely twisted, where they get angry at something for not meeting their negative expectations, even though it would have normally been seen as an "improvement" to them otherwise.

In this case what people are actually trying to be consistent about is, even more so than the "generic wish-fulfillment harem isekai" claim, the initial evaluation of the show of being "trash". Since that has the highest priority, people just go around making claims that are contradictory, just so that they, in public, seem consistent about it being trash.

Likewise, people who are live-reacting to it rather than just reviewing it seem to be much more positive about the series because they have admitted to the "public" about liking certain scenes or finding them quite funny, so they cannot badmouth the series afterwards, though most people didn't quite like EP1 so that dampened the effect a bit, resulting in most live-reactionists viewing it as at least "average" up to "quite good".

tl;dr: People who were convinced that Death March would be "trashlike" isekai smartphone 2.0 still are thinking so, while being angry about the parts that contradict that view.

For more details about the "principle of commitment and consistency" I recommend people to read the book "Influence" by Robert Cialdini.
^^ In my opinion they are just kind of like having tsundere princess with a whole lot of pride PERSONA

mastermind3342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 12:27   Link #8304
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Ep 10
Dream Girl appeared

So far I really like the anime
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 17:08   Link #8305
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

So "Kagura Dance"... a dance that relates to a (love) relationship between a god and a human, huh?

>Defeated the Dragon God AkonKagura!

Yup, I think it was only on the level of speculation until now, but I see this as pretty much a confirmation. She set herself and all her underlings up as a sacrifice. Pretty brutal toward her own kin, if you ask me. Now Satou is free to do what he wants, loli curse aside. He must survive long enough until the "automatic revival function" that gods appearently have activates. Then he can truly meet her again.

I wonder which among the things he started with were actually given to Satou by "her" and which did he obtain otherwise. He mentioned to "her" about the 3 meteors and the scan once in a dream, but I am don't think so about the other "unique skills". Unit arrangement for example seems to be able to surpass "the system", as he can mark a territory on an "earth" outside the magic world as well as in "space". Normal magic he can also normally use in space, though he can't replanish any MP. But perhaps that he can use it might also only be due to the menue - we don't know if others could use magic outside of either the magic world (i.e. inside the "system") or in one of Satou's space stations (which might or might not be affected by the system or his unique skills).

Either way, the whole matter seems rather complicated, I really hope we can at least get a few more hints, other than that throne scene in the WN, sooner rather than later. Same with the whole Alt!Satou's fortress and that one key Satou made that just "coincidently" seems to be the exact one required in the fortress.

I thought about time travel being the explanation at first, but perhaps that's just the true, original Satou, who "she" fell in love with before the whole reincarnation stuff started. But if that's the case it means that Satou was pretty OP even before getting this current easy-mode handed over.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2018-03-15 at 17:24.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 07:06   Link #8306
tuckersister

What's the current ages of the main characters in the WN currently? I'm getting confused.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-18, 05:19   Link #8307
mastermind3342
LONER TACTICIAN

^So.....
4 heroes are being summoned by saga empire
One of them is magic base
The flag has rise and then what?
Old 2018-03-18, 05:42   Link #8308
Hokoga

Oh wow someone actually wants to talk about the web novel for once, and here I thought this place was slowly being converted into the anime thread.
Hokoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-18, 06:26   Link #8309
tuckersister

It can be both. I really the anime ends the season okay and hope there's a S2. Things more interesting after Satou becomes Chevalier. Especially Boruenan Forest arc.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-18, 06:28   Link #8310
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokoga View Post
Oh wow someone actually wants to talk about the web novel for once, and here I thought this place was slowly being converted into the anime thread.
Maybe because the recent WN chapters are too interesting so everybody just lost all words to discuss
Old 2018-03-18, 08:54   Link #8311
Asuka'
Nin Nin

Quote:
Maybe because the recent WN chapters are too interesting so everybody just lost all words to discuss
Nay, It's just because the whole trial thing is boring as hell.
I hope he will eventually fight the gods for the trial for once.

Quote:
Instead we spend every minute inside Satoo's redundant internal monologue and god I could not care less what he's thinking."
Hnn! I think the monologue in death march is acceptable.
I find many others wn worser for having too many repetitive monologue and adding "what if scenario" to the mono or even another npc monologue / narrative which make it worser.
Asuka' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 02:19   Link #8312
dragon1412

well, i actually like the anime so far. Never knew there was so much drama
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 03:29   Link #8313
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^The anime is great yo

Mainly because the seiyuus are perfect fit
Tama, Pochi, and especially Arisa

Greater adaption that Smartphone
Old 2018-03-19, 10:09   Link #8314
pezzie

Anime Pochi is not as high energy as she was in my imagination.

I always just imagined her as a kid permanently on a sugar high (meat high?)
pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 14:10   Link #8315
mastermind3342
LONER TACTICIAN

Another saga empire 's bakero (baka hero)
Old 2018-03-20, 05:24   Link #8316
medassin

lol, so much emo

Spoiler for ep 11:
Old 2018-03-20, 08:58   Link #8317
Alisa~Chan~
A Bat Toting FOX~!

So cute~! Especially Mia-chan~!
Alisa~Chan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-22, 11:10   Link #8318
wuhugm
Confused Shark

New ep

Satoo you dog~
Old 2018-03-22, 15:11   Link #8319
mastermind3342
LONER TACTICIAN

^He really done it now
Old 2018-03-22, 15:39   Link #8320
RDNexus

Hey, who wouldn't take a chance with a babe like that?
Satou is quite the smart, calculating (and lucky) dude
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapted to anime, adapted to ln, adapted to manga, anti-romance mc, beastgirl, cooking, fake harem, generic mc, harem, heretic mc, isekai, op mc, rpg-like character, slavery, touring