AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-08-08, 16:31   Link #21
WillReaper
Reaper de la Souls

Over the years how many rumors have burst out about classic anime or manga and so on having a new start. Most the time it failed in flames or was extremly bad. Don't get me wrong though, I would love an actual ending to the series. Even when I watched the movie The End Of Evangelion I was lost, and that doesn't happen, ever. Besides, this isn't the first Eva rumor of this kind to start. The stuff they have launched of late to boost Evangelion really hit low. So even if by some strange chance they do make a FINAL movie to try and explain more, chances are it won't do well.

I say this based on one question, who can really explain what happend at all? Everyone dedicated enough to see it all (including the movies)will most likely have their own theory and will be disapointed when it's something different. Lastly, I may be wrong on the location but I believe in the commentary on the second movie it said that the man who created Evangelion would never do so again because he was so pissed off at the crowd. That's also why he put in the death threats that lots of people sent him for making the first movie and the ending so bad (or nonunderstnandable, take your pick). If you watch closely near the end you can actually see them fly past with other things, although they aren't in english so I don't know what they say exactly.
WillReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 16:58   Link #22
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
I don't know about a new ending, I presonally accepted the first ending. This is how the writer wanted to end his story why did people complain so much about it that forced him to make an alternative ending. And now a third ending......Isn't it getting a bit too much? That's what I think anyway
Hey, Hideo Kojima wanted to end his Metal Gear Solid involvement and got death threats.. Pressure from the fans can move mountains. I think we should be wary of jumping to conclusions regarding this.

And I'm still suprised that EVA was the only profitable anime. I am VERY aware of the popularity status of things.. but this is still news to me : o I guess none of their other works ever spawned such an opportunity for merchandize as EVA did. Even if they're doing this to milk the EVA franchise, I still now have somewhat some faith in Anno.. as long as he's helming the project, something could be pulled off.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 19:07   Link #23
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillReaper
That's also why he put in the death threats that lots of people sent him for making the first movie and the ending so bad (or nonunderstnandable, take your pick). If you watch closely near the end you can actually see them fly past with other things, although they aren't in english so I don't know what they say exactly.
Indeed, those death threats are in the movie, they flashed at a certain part of the movie. You can see the translation of some of those threats here.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 20:54   Link #24
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

I think those kinda of fans who would threat authors like that are stupid. I mean, this is HIS story, he can end it anyway he likes even if you don't agree/understand it, you should atleast respect his ending.

I didn't like EVA's ending either but after putting some thought into it I was like "this is his story, he created it not us. We have no right to force our openion or hopes on him". Also, 50% of my anime rating depends on the ending and EVA is considered as my 3rd best anime ever with it's horrible ending.

Why? because I respected the start, middle and ending of the story as it is. This is how Anno forged it, I have no right to object on it more then expressing my openion about it.

And i'd really hope to see the TRUE ending that Anno-san had in mind.
Old 2006-08-08, 21:04   Link #25
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
And I'm still suprised that EVA was the only profitable anime. I am VERY aware of the popularity status of things.. but this is still news to me : o I guess none of their other works ever spawned such an opportunity for merchandize as EVA did.
It isn't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yamaga
The structure of the organization has never really been concretely established. But, it is getting better year after year and it seems that we have been turning a profit on Mahoromatic.
Same person, from the same interview, on the same page as MrProphet's quote.

I think the intent of the quote was to say gainax never had a series as massivily profitable as Eva, not that no other series made them any money at all. Not to mention the interview is from 2002

As for Nadia, according to that interview, it was making lots of money, for the NHK. It seems they owned the rights, not gainax.

Anyway, to get on topic, wasn't the last huge Eva announcement about the Evangelions 2 video game? Perhaps this will be something like that? Well, if there is a new project, I just hope it'll be 100% new material.
Old 2006-08-08, 22:34   Link #26
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I wonder if it would be some like Girlfriend of Steel anime verson. That could be good or bad...

Also: Yay Mahoromatic!
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 22:49   Link #27
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
People complained about the original ending. People compained about EoE. They are, essentially, different sides of the same coin (EoE being the very bloody and graphic side). Why anyone would want to change it is beyond me. Shinji accepts the fact that people will hurt him, and then he awakens in a broken world with Asuka. Very good way to add ultimate closure.
Old 2006-08-08, 23:41   Link #28
Caviar

there's a live-action movie of evangelion that is still in pre-production (it's actually halted). the people that worked with the effects in lord of the rings (WETA) are actually going to work on that project. there are some concept sketches already that i've seen... http://eva.trivialbeing.net/
Caviar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 03:29   Link #29
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
hmm.....i would just like a new evangelion-type show. something for the 00's
Old 2006-08-09, 07:31   Link #30
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Anno's not involved with the production of the live-action movie though, and those images have been out for a couple years now. I'm looking forward to another Anno/Gainax collabo-project, but I don't think it has anything to do with EVA.
Old 2006-08-11, 12:47   Link #31
NeonZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines
That's why we got End of Evangelion. I've been a part of the EVA online community for years, and it's generally accepted that there is no way to sequelize Evangelion. It'd be A) Shinji's dream world where everything is cool and awesome, or B) post Third Impact where everyone except Shinji and Asuka are dead. A) already has a manga [Angelic Days] and B) would be horribly boring except to S/A pairing fans.
Not really, Shinji and Asuka were the only ones shown back in human form, but Rei said that everyone would come back (though that was never shown). So, if they want to make a sequel with a populated world again, that will be perfectly possible and won't contradict End of Eva.
NeonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 13:23   Link #32
JarOfMayo

But is it worth it? ... You know there are plenty of anime works that warrant sequels or revisions... Like many series made from manga originals (Fruit Baskets to toss one in).

But when a original anime story ends... Can't we just let it end? I can understand being attached to a series and its characters, but why risk the "canon" ruination of the things you hold dear? Just so you can have a little more "new material"?

Its fine to feel that a sequel or movie be nice... But I would say be cautious of what you wish for. Because like... ohh for example GS -> GSD, or.. say RK(manga based arcs) -> RK (end of series) it might be not be what you really wanted. lol
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 13:33   Link #33
Ziv

Quote:
That's why we got End of Evangelion. I've been a part of the EVA online community for years, and it's generally accepted that there is no way to sequelize Evangelion. It'd be A) Shinji's dream world where everything is cool and awesome, or...
How do you know that shinji lives in that "dream world?" From what I understood, it was just a representation of shinji's mind, showing the process he went through to overcome his depression. In that case it could still be reconcilable to the end of the movie (somewhat...)
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 13:39   Link #34
WillReaper
Reaper de la Souls

Well...

I would like to see alot of animes and mangas continue as well, but when the author wants to cut out you let them. Then they go to work on something else that's good, hopefully. But to send death threats?! You got to be retarted or something, I mean it's not the end of the world or something.

So it is out that they are trying to make a live Neon Genesis is it? I've been hearing about that one for ages, I was thinking about that was a saying how useless rumors are. It's promising and could be a huge hit if it works, and with the graphic and computer technology we have now.... But I think it will fail, it's still too high in the air... Only time will tell I guess.
WillReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 18:30   Link #35
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
How do you know that shinji lives in that "dream world?" From what I understood, it was just a representation of shinji's mind, showing the process he went through to overcome his depression. In that case it could still be reconcilable to the end of the movie (somewhat...)
Well, I guess not exactly his dream world (been spending too much time in the Rozen Maiden topic), but the ideal world he created where he felt like he could live a happy life. I get that from the series ending, from the snippet where he and Asuka are childhood friends, he "bumps" into Rei, and Misato is their teacher.

The Angelic Days manga follows that storyline. I meant that this storyline is a possible sequel, but it wouldn't satisfy a lot of fans. If you're talking about the TV ending where Shinji gets a big congratulations at the end... I don't know what kind of interesting, canonical plotline could come out of that.

The "big news" in Newtype could well be the Chronicles of Evangelion book, which Anno stated would never come out. It's supposed to answer every single question about EVA. Anno's new Gainax project is just that, a new project.
Old 2006-08-11, 18:38   Link #36
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Hmm... that new 'project' sounds an aweful lot like the "Document of EVA" project that was announced several years ago.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 19:35   Link #37
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The "big news" in Newtype could well be the Chronicles of Evangelion book, which Anno stated would never come out. It's supposed to answer every single question about EVA.
A new story would be nice, but that new project sounds much better. It'll be great if that book/anime could come out >.<
Old 2006-08-11, 19:40   Link #38
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
EVA was the dumbest piece of crap anime that has ever been produced in the history of anime. The shows creators saw that it was going to be a huge cash cow and used that to an extreme disadvantage therefore t deserves to remain dead...
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 06:29   Link #39
NeonZ

Quote:
The "big news" in Newtype could well be the Chronicles of Evangelion book, which Anno stated would never come out. It's supposed to answer every single question about EVA. Anno's new Gainax project is just that, a new project.
The first book of that series has already been released... It even includes a bios page for the random female operators of Nerv (complete with new artwork)... I don't see how talking about something that is already out would be a scoop...
NeonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 06:51   Link #40
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

@Deacon Blues: This is the wrong thread to voice that particular opinion. No one cares.

@NeonZ: Link?

Tags
movie, remake