AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-06-08, 03:12   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Darker Than Black Manga Discussion

The popular anime series, Darker Than Black, which is conceived by Okamura Tensai, now has a manga adaptation as well. The manga in question is the one that just started a month ago on Young GanGan, by Iwahara Yuuji, and the title is DARKER THAN BLACK -漆黒の花- (The pitch black flower).
It follows the events taking place after the first DtB anime series ended, and the art is quite faithful to the style of anime.

It's not revealed yet whether the story is related to the upcoming 2nd series yet. You can read the first chapter on their official webpage. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/yg/browsing/

The other manga adaptation from Noki Ya in Monthly Asuka ended a while back. His adaptation of the first series was heavily criticised for having bad artwork, doujin level adaptation of story, and personalities completely different from anime counterparts.

The synopsis in the following is stolen from wiki for those who are new to the series:
Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The heavenly bodies disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people who possess various special abilities emerged. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals, known as Contractors, are able to murder in cold blood. Various nations and organizations around the world use Contractors as spies and assassins, often resulting in violent battles for information. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, and they vibrate when their Contractor's power is being used. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. However, their abilities are gained at the cost of their humanity. They are implied to lack human emotions which includes no aversions to murder, and they are regarded as extremely rational and logical in their decision making. Contractors are thus named because of their need to always complete a remuneration or payment each time their power is used (ex. eating flowers, breaking fingers, drinking blood). It is not entirely clear what happens to one if he or she fails to complete the remuneration. Contractors are described as being psychologically compelled to complete their remunerative task.
Please direct all manga related discussion to this thread.

edit: (060909) Correction made to the opening post. Thanks goes to aohige.

Last edited by monir; 2009-06-09 at 02:27.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 04:16   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The popular anime series, Darker Than Black, which is conceived by Okamura Tensai, now has a manga adaptation as well. The manga is taking place from the end of the first season of Darker Than Black anime series. The illustration for the manga is done by Noki Ya. The manga is being serialized in the Monthly Asuka and Young Gangan. The image in this post is stolen from Herbert's post which was submitted in the 2nd Season anime thread. The synopsis in the following is stolen from wiki for those who are new to the series:
Actually, let me correct you on that.
The manga in question is the one that just started a month ago on Young GanGan, by Iwahara Yuuji, and the title is DARKER THAN BLACK -漆黒の花- (The pitch black flower).
It follows the events taking place after the first DtB anime series ended, and the art is quite faithful to the style of anime.
It's not revealed yet whether the story is related to the upcoming 2nd series yet.
You can read the first chapter on their official webpage. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/yg/browsing/

The manga adaptation from Noki Ya in Monthly Asuka ended a while back.
This adaptation of the first series was heavily criticised for having bad artwork, doujin level adaptation of story, and personalities completely different from anime counterparts.

Edit: Also, the image you used is an article about the new anime series. Here's an introductory pic of the manga.

Last edited by aohige; 2009-06-08 at 12:45.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 05:46   Link #3
blewin

Just wondering, if I'm to talk about the content of the released chapters so far, do I have to use spoiler tags here?

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 06:28   Link #4
pinkautumn13
♥goddess of pink♥

Send a message via AIM to pinkautumn13
dunno bout that anime i think i need to watch

just i am ...
pinkautumn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 07:56   Link #5
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Good show. So this manga picks up from the 1st season? And were getting a second season!?!? Finally!
Old 2009-06-08, 12:36   Link #6
Used Can

Hopefully, this one will be a proper adaptation, because the previous manga was crap.
Old 2009-06-08, 21:04   Link #7
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
yes, the first manga was ..... a big mistake with shoujo style...

But, about the second and official manga i can say that
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2009-06-08, 21:41   Link #8
holyalexander
holy alexander

i would give this a try...
holyalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 23:35   Link #9
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashima View Post
Spoiler for Manga:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-06-09, 02:29   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Actually, let me correct you on that.
I see. So these are actually two different sets of manga series adapted by two different author whose work ran on these two magazine, Monthly Asuka and Young Gan Gan respectively. Good info. Necessary correction made to the opening post.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:12   Link #11
xx_At

the released promotional pictures of yin and hei were for the 2nd season of the anime. The manga here runs a different story so its not suprising if their relationship is not explored.

I dun think the creator of the anime is any part of this manga, the only link they hav is that the mangaka here was also the original character design for the anime. Which is why the style has been so similar.
xx_At is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:25   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
promo scans, they are promo scans D:
have you guys never learned anything from promo scans they do not suggest romance between characters, enough magazines even make promo scans of 2 male characters in ways a yaoi fangirl would scream her heart out but that doesn't mean that it will happen or if it is happening D: never fall for the promo scans! they are not to be trusted!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:32   Link #13
denice25

great info.... thanks..
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 07:03   Link #14
Solafighter
Hige

Just that im not mistaken.

This manga is not brand new, isnt it, or?

Or is it a "season" 2?
Old 2009-06-09, 09:06   Link #15
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

I might just wait for Season 2 of the anime to come out...which hopefully will be soon.
Old 2009-06-09, 17:36   Link #16
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Just that im not mistaken.

This manga is not brand new, isnt it, or?

Or is it a "season" 2?
You are thinking like I was, this isn't part of the older manga they did for DTB but is season 2
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 16:00   Link #17
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Already read it. First chapter's so cool.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 08:30   Link #18
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Kiriharia is still hung up on Hei lol

And he is now the number 1 most dangerous Contractor in the world. I love it.

So the world now knows about Contractors right?
Old 2009-07-13, 12:57   Link #19
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Just so you guys know, Yuuji Iwahara, the manga artist for the Second DTB manga was the original character designer for the DTB anime.

It's good to know he's doing a manga based on the characters he design on the anime considering he also doing the manga King of Thorn.
Old 2009-07-13, 13:38   Link #20
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Kiriharia is still hung up on Hei lol

And he is now the number 1 most dangerous Contractor in the world. I love it.

So the world now knows about Contractors right?
Guess so since...

Spoiler for Epilogue from S1:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote