AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-07-07, 16:19   Link #81
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I can't believe no one explained doujins. The best I can describe them (and know about them) is that they are fan made material.
Dōjinshi (同人誌, often transliterated as doujinshi) are self-published Japanese works, usually magazines, manga or novels. They are often the work of amateurs, though some professional artists participate as a way to publish material outside the regular industry. The term dōjinshi is derived from dōjin (同人, literally "same person", used to refer to a person or persons with whom one shares a common goal or interest) and shi (誌, a suffix generally meaning "periodical publication"). Dōjinshi are part of a wider category of dōjin including, but not limited to, art collections, anime, hentai and games. Groups of dōjinshi artists refer to themselves as a sākuru (サークル, circle). A number of such groups actually consist of a single artist: they are sometimes called kojin sākuru (個人サークル, personal circles).

-- Courtesy of wikipedia.
Old 2010-10-01, 14:24   Link #82
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Otoko no Ko

Crossdressing boy

Though the normal usage "otoko no ko" is a young boy (child age), "Otoko no Ko" works because of the dual means that are allowed in kanji. Rather than explain in detail, I'll explain it with diagrams:

So it's simple as changing the "ko" from "child" to a "Ko" to a kanji that means "girl"

Can't figure out a good way to do this in English, so I'll just make the "ko" capitalized to "Ko" to make it distinct. If there's another method that works better, please provide an amendment.

Sample usage:

Kinoshita Hideyoshi from "Baka Test" and Bridget from "GUILTY GEAR" series are great examples of an Otoko no Ko.

Last edited by kj1980; 2010-10-01 at 22:50.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 18:55   Link #83
cyth
Banned

Otaku Boom

Associated with Seichi Junrei (pilgrimage). It denotes instances where other Japanese industry sectors received economic boosts following the otaku's involvement in their business. For example, otaku visiting the Washinomiya Shrine featured in Lucky Star boosted the local economy. Some companies and interests outside of the otaku industry are starting to take advantage of this phenomenon. As a result, anime featuring real-life scenery are now more common than ever.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 07:18   Link #84
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Crossdressing boy

Though the normal usage "otoko no ko" is a young boy (child age), "Otoko no Ko" works because of the dual means that are allowed in kanji. Rather than explain in detail, I'll explain it with diagrams:

So it's simple as changing the "ko" from "child" to a "Ko" to a kanji that means "girl"

Can't figure out a good way to do this in English, so I'll just make the "ko" capitalized to "Ko" to make it distinct. If there's another method that works better, please provide an amendment.

Sample usage:

Kinoshita Hideyoshi from "Baka Test" and Bridget from "GUILTY GEAR" series are great examples of an Otoko no Ko.
Great thread here

I just wanted to add that Otoko no Ko is not synonymous with she-males/ transvestites, and are not necessarily homosexual.
They simply cross dress.

Here is a cafe like maid cafes, only they are all Otoko no Kos
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 13:35   Link #85
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
I feel bored, so I'll create a thread about several lingos used by otakus:

The prestigious award for the first definition goes to...

Tsundere

"tsundere," is a term used to describe girls that are cold and strict at first or in public, but becomes all lovey-dovey when they are alone together.

Some examples of tsundere characters:
Hinagiku and Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku)
Sawachika Eri (School Rumble)
Kagurazaka Asuna (Mahou Sensei Negima!)
Hasegawa Chisame (Mahou Sensei Negima!)
Evangeline A.K. McDowell (Mahou Sensei Negima!)
Daikuuji Ayu (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien)
Nanase Rumi (ONE)
Tohsaka Rin (Fate/stay night)
Tohno Akiha (Tsukihime)
Practically everyone (Tsuyokiss)
etc. etc....

Visual example:

[I-know-it's-bad] Usage example:

My childhood friend has blonde, twin-tail hair. She is the epitome of a tsundere.
There's a error. Tsunderes also apply to males, who appeared at first cold then loyal characters. So, female equivalent of tsundere is tsunderekko.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 12:00   Link #86
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

kj1980 is japanese (I think, If I'm wrong do tell me) and probably has a much better understanding in how the term is used than you have. Also while males can be referred to as tsunderes they usually aren't. kj1980 made his post back in 2006, I have never seen a male character been referred to as a tsundere earlier than the recent years.

I'm really tired right now. So I think my grammar may sound a little weird. Will fix it later.
Old 2017-07-14, 16:27   Link #87
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

isekai-kei

The rash of light novels/anime with similar recurring themes involving the main character, typically a loser or normie in IRL, suddenly transported to another world by some means in which the character becomes a hero/heroine of the story.

The influx of isekai-kei storylines comes from wannabe light novelists who uploads web-novels and stories involving this situation because it is the most easiest to write, with publishers themselves taking up and publishing these stories because it's a formula that works for now and anime companies taking up these titles in hopes of churning easy profit.

Not-so-good-example

People be talkin' that Zero no Tsukaima was the OG isekai-kei don't know that Aura Battler Dunbine was the real OG isekai-kei anime and it wasn't moe, it was hardcore mech!

Aura Battler Dunbine OP:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhcyn6
Old 2023-01-08, 05:15   Link #88
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Okada Toshio

I'm not going to go into detail of this person's bio or background as there's already a Wikipedia page of him.

However with the advent of people clipping Youtube videos of V-Tubers and translating clips of Hololivers and such, leading to a new/next level of interest in Japanese culture, as well as new generation of anime fans, increasing interest in Japan, etc., it might be of certain interest of those who wish to know more about the hardcore nerdy/geeky side of Japanese otaku culture from the self proclaimed Otaking himself.

If I were to place the closest equivalent, Okada Toshio-san would be like the "Quentin Tarantino of anime/manga" but not as a director, but as a complete nerd/geek (positive statement) of knowing A LOT of anime/manga history, sci-fi, background, relevance, influences and how it all ties in together, to this day.

For the most part, it seems like most new anime watchers outside of Japan do not really watch older shows, anime geared for kids like Crayon Shin-chan, Doraemon, or have no interest in Japan made sci-fi/tokusatsu flicks like Shin-Godzilla or Shin-Ultraman. It is a shame as there are A LOT of things to learn about instead of passing these over which ties into the grand scheme of otaku and Japanese culture, which for those living outside of Japan who are interested in knowing more about the whys, hows, whens, etc.

Take it for a grain of salt, but let's see if introducing a Youtube video of Okada Toshio's Top 10 picks of the most influential Japanese anime in the past 100 years and An analysis of how Toriyama Akira is a great manga artist would be of any interest to see if it leads to some kind of interest, clippings, translations, or perhaps even as a guest to anime cons abroad.

Forewarned, translating his video(s) would require quite an extensive knowledge of Japan, anime/manga history, otaku subculture, science fiction, other outside influences, authors and books, and beyond. But for those who understand Japanese his videos are quite interesting watch.

Last edited by kj1980; 2023-01-08 at 05:34.

Tags
wiki candidate