AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-04, 01:12   Link #22921
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post

The way mages in Nanoha use their magics is based on the 800+ systems that exist, which vary from system to system. Mid-Childan from what I can tell is about range, while Belka focuses more on the CC-aspects of magic.
Expanding a bit more upon that, Mid-style focuses on fine-tuning and control of magic while the more prevalent aspects of Belkan-style is on enhancement of physical properties.

It always did bother me that there should be more subtle aspects of utilizing both systems, unless both had been engineered solely for combat.

Btw, great work on your fic ghaz. Great fun reading it. =3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
800+ systems = 800+ different ways to use magic, linker cores not required. At least, that's how I interpreted that particular line; this is the multiverse, for god's sake, there's got to be tens of thousands more systems waiting to be documented. CCS's Chinese magic, Nasuverse magic, both of Negima's primary magic systems, Harry Potter magic, Lina Freaking Inverse and Slayers magic, I could go on and on. Yet we limit ourselves to what's in canon for some bizarre reason.
Pretty much what ghaz said. Besides, working with canon stuff is easier with a set of fixed boundaries so that it's fair to everyone. Sure it's fun coming up with new stuff but there's always a need to consider the inherent rules and necessity of creating stuff. Magic systems would need quite alot of work as well as the constant reminder of possible retcon for whatever reasons that might arise later on.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2008-04-04, 01:15   Link #22922
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Expanding a bit more upon that, Mid-style focuses on fine-tuning and control of magic while the more prevalent aspects of Belkan-style is on enhancement of physical properties.

It always did bother me that there should be more subtle aspects of utilizing both systems, unless both had been engineered solely for combat.

Btw, great work on your fic ghaz. Great fun reading it. =3
Application outside of combat....

YOU'VE JUST GIVEN ME AN IDEA!!!!!!!

Or rather, you've helped me expand on Rue's magic system, Alocnos :3 If you want to know who Rue is, just look her up in the link in my Signature :3

And I'm glad you are enjoying my works :3
Old 2008-04-04, 02:59   Link #22923
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Yet we limit ourselves to what's in canon for some bizarre reason.
YES! You hit the nail.

We are trying to work within limits laid by the canon. Most of people are trying to make characters that doesn't make Aces redundants, in term of role and power, and doesn't PWNLOLNOOBS them, especially if they intend them to be protagonists.

The only reason people here accept more powerful characters are 1. Those characters are antagonists, therefore a challenge for both canon characters and original characters. 2. VERY, oh so VERY, well written and characterized (better if they has been shown how they work in nanoha fanfictions).

People are hounding your characters or cringing over them because for whatever reason they are either avatars of creator of all, equivalents of Orlando etc...
Old 2008-04-04, 03:27   Link #22924
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
800+ systems = 800+ different ways to use magic, linker cores not required. At least, that's how I interpreted that particular line; this is the multiverse, for god's sake, there's got to be tens of thousands more systems waiting to be documented. CCS's Chinese magic, Nasuverse magic, both of Negima's primary magic systems, Harry Potter magic, Lina Freaking Inverse and Slayers magic, I could go on and on. Yet we limit ourselves to what's in canon for some bizarre reason.
Because if we don't limit ourselves to canon, we're going to have unending dickfights between OC writers on how their charecters can pwn the aces. By sticking to Canon and a set of established general principles, we can keep things in line and limit power wanking and munchkin-ing.

Let me also point out something: Master Chief. All round badass. When I brought him into OC I had avery right to make him fuck powerful. Instead, he's remained true to Halo specifications on him (with some nerfing) and is, at the time of MSLN Alpha, A-ranked... after almost 15 years of service.

Don't feel too bad about this process: everybody who comes to OC will get themselves and their charecters broken down by the haxbusters.

Then said haxbusters will help to build them back up, and the new kid returns with V.2 of their OC's profile, all the better for the experience. It's the experience that all of us have gone through on these boards, a rite of passage, if you will...

...particularly if it's Tk3997 doing the haxbusting. I remember how he busted one of Kagerou's ideas, requiring the junking of a month's work, or how he busted a finished fanfic of mine: in TK's words" Just because I like you doesn't mean I won't break you when you do something stupid." :P

With regards to a practical standpoint: 75lbs is a lot of weight to be carrying around. You OC is going to be having problems swinging his sword around and getting it up in time to block, etc etc.

There are more issues with Rei and Rena that need to be dealt with, but I'll get back to those later after dinner and a chance to unwind.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-04, 03:46   Link #22925
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Wait wait... 75 lb SWORD? I missed that skimming. How big and what's it made of?

Because it's not just strength in this issue, it's a considerable shift in Center of Mass at every move. Think of it as swining half again your weight around. Maintaining control is a bigger issue than strength.
Old 2008-04-04, 04:00   Link #22926
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Even the heaviest sword in real world are not heavier than 5 kilogramms.

Quote:

A 40-Pound Sword?

By C. Jarko

One of the most outrageous (and wildly incorrect) statements made about Medieval swords is that they were heavy and weighed as much as 40 pounds. While the fact that this statement even came once from a respected scholar and expert on Medieval warfare is surprising, it's not at all an uncommon claim. Let's take a look at just how large a sword would have to be to weigh that much or anywhere close to it.

Simple Science (with a little algebra thrown in): How do we know Medieval swords weren't 40 pounds (or for that matter, even 15 or 20 pounds)? The answer is density. Density is a way of expressing how much an object (of a certain size and of a given material) weighs. The size of the object is expressed in terms of its volume. Volume is the size of an object as measured by its length, width and thickness (or height) and is expressed in cubic inches. Written as a mathematical equation, it looks like this:

V = L x W x H.

One cubic inch is one inch long by one inch wide by one inch thick.

For the purpose of this discussion, we can use a simple three-dimensional rectangle to represent our sword. Let's pick a typical longsword with an overall length of 48 inches and a general width of 2 inches (the widest part of the blade). We'll get to the height later.

Swords were made of carbon steel, which has a known density of roughly 0.284 pounds per cubic inch (lbs/per cubic inch). If we know how much weight we have (in this case "40" pounds), we can figure out how many cubic inches the object would have:

40 pounds divided by 0.284 (the density of steel) = 140.85 cubic inches (the volume or "V" of a 40 pound sword).

Our sword is 48 inches long, 2 inches wide and "H" inches thick, thus: V = 48 x 2 x H. Using our volume of 140.85, we can solve for H for which we get:

140.85 = 48 x 2 x H

140.85 = 96 x H

H= 1.47 inches (140.85 divided by 96)

This means our steel sword is 48 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1.47 inches thick along its entire length. This would definitely be a blunt object and not a sharp cutting instrument like a sword.

Just for fun, let's see what we get when we say a sword (again 48 inches long and 2 inches wide) weighs 15 pounds or 10 pounds:

15 pounds divided by 0.284 (the density of steel) = 52.82 cubic inches (the volume "V" of a 15 pound sword).

Using our volume of 52.82, we can solve for H:

52.82 = 48 x 2 x H

52.82 = 96 x H

H = 0.55 inches (52.82 divided by 96)

That's over half an inch thick, still a blunt object. Let's try one more time for 10 pounds.

10 pounds divided by 0.284 (the density of steel) = 35.21 cubic inches (the volume "V" of a 15 pound sword).

Again, we can solve for H:

35.21 = 48 x 2 x H

35.21 = 96 x H

H = 0.37 inches

That's almost three eighths of an inch thick. If you look at three eighths of an inch on a ruler, you'll see we are now starting to get "sword-like" but we're still not there.

If we do the math using the thickness of a real sword (say an average 1/8th inch thick across a roughly 48" by 2" rectangle) it turns out such it weighs a reasonable 3.408 pounds. Which, when you take into account things like differential cross-section, distal taper, edge bevel and overall taper of the blade geometry, as well as the weight of the pommel and cross, then an average weight of 2.5 - 3.5 pounds works out just about right. So, the next time

When someone says "a longsword weighs 15 pounds", you can reply, "Oh, like this?" as you hand them 15 pounds of a half-inch thick steel slab four feet long and two inches wide. There's nothing like holding the truth in your hands. If there were really battle swords that actually weighed 40 pounds, or even just 15 or 20 pounds, then where are they? Why don't we have a single historical example as proof? It would be such an easy thing to prove. So, if you have a modern made sword which you bought and it weighs far more than the real life working versions of history, no matter what the manufacture claims, that sword is just not made correctly.

When we use the mathematical proof, we need to understand that there are variables which we aren't taking into account here, but this line of argument works well enough to debunk the more outrageous claims about sword weight. The next time you're arguing with someone who refuses to budge off their claim that swords were very heavy and unwieldy, you can tell them: "Hey, you do the math!"
Source

Even one of my D&D3 Barbarian NPCs doesn't swing a 40 lbs two-handed sword. It's like 10 lbs/5 kg at most, and he is by no means short, at the contrary he is like 230 cm tall (another race than human, they are like three-eyed, and their eyecolors are like those of Arrakis' Fremen, I did want to do away from eternal elves/dwarves/orcs trope).

My final word, such heavy swords (blame Cloud for making it trendy) are too often wank materials and it's hard for me to buy a character wielding them with no effort even with a strong deal of suspension of disbelief.
Old 2008-04-04, 04:06   Link #22927
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
That's why I listen Queen, The Bee Gees or Mika while doing that. It prevent me from imagining death scenes. Instead, I end up with mentally picturing goofy s-o-l FABULOUS scenes.
I tend to listen to all sorts of crap while writing profiles, but it dosen't seem to affect much allot of the following was written while listening to a mix of J-pop, classic rock, modern pop music, orchestral scores, and even some country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The real question is: Did I ever deny it?
Never, but lord do we wish you would...

Since we seem to be on the topic of magic and such I might as well throw some of my own recent stuff into the fray to give some examples of new magic systems that are IMO at least balanced.

First off we have a very partial profile of a new OC but the big focus is the shooting arts of Planine.

Spoiler for Emil:

Next We move onto some background of the Magic Styles of Yuushou the 14th Administered world.
Spoiler for Yuushou magic:

And then a profile of a user of one of those styles who people that have read my recent fic should know.

Spoiler for Shin:

Of course a magical world can't live on melee along so on that note we take a look at another school of magic from the 14th world via another of it's practitioners you all might also know.
Spoiler for Kou:

And this ends our little look at the magic stylings of the 14th world as envisioned by me I have one more OC from this world, but she'll be written up later and won't intro anything drastically different.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-05-06 at 08:47.
Old 2008-04-04, 04:30   Link #22928
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

New Keroko image! Courtesy of Mercurianangel.

Spoiler for Don't you just want to kiss her?:

That one's going in the profile. :3 Many many thanks Mercurianangel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Spoiler:
*imagines Syn and Vivio flying around singing*

You... you.... that was low, bellow the belt, dirty.... and... and...

Oooh, I'm going to get you for this, Eva.

Quote:
See, this is what happens when I try to make characters. I start with a geomancer, and I end up with...

Spoiler for character data:

...CLEAVER-CHAN!

I haven't even seen Higurashi and I already love this girl!
Ah, new profile?

Hmm, the first thing I notice is the line “Here is a woman who can’t be hurt by anything, not even her own parents.” does that mean Rena is lying to herself about Fate? Because Fate has very much been hurt by Precia.

Lightning six... that should fit, my OC Tesla occupies the Lightning five callsign, so it would round out.

On the subject of attacks, attacks based on Fate's would inherently be different, because Fate has a Lightning Affinity that allows her to use lightning with her magic. Unless Rena also has a lightning affinity (which should be possible) she can't just use Fate's attacks with a different collor.

Also, I advice you not to put solid numbers on spell powers. As you can see, that sets of alarmbells in some people (even though movement spells like Flash Move are more along the lines of 400% movement increase, really ) Just saying 'movement increase' and draw a comparison to an existing spell (stronger/weaker/equal to) is a solid solution.
Quote:
50%? That's a bit much. I'm not exactly sure how to put it, but I'm sure there will be others who can make a comment on this one.

100%? You're basically ripping her apart then. I don't believe the body would be designed to move that those kinds of speeds. I don't even believe that Sonic Move and Flash Move have that kind of ludicrous speeds.
It's rather apalingly weak, actually. Spells like Sonic Move or Flash Move are far more then a mere 50% increase. They can. Usually they do so even faster, but note that that aplies to movement speed alone.

Quote:
Meh. Just to top the character-who-I-don't-know, I'm bringing Etna into this in all her SSS+ h4xxed-out-the-arse glory.
Which will be shot down in a seconds notice, I assure you.

Quote:
*Notes post contents, frowns at character ideas notepad, crosses out "Reincarnated Saint King"*
What? You mean Vivio? She's already canon. :3

Quote:
*Stares at Nanoha's core coming out of her chest in A's 2*

I'm really not seeing where this organ idea is coming from. Last time I checked, getting an organ ripped out of your body was a very messy affair, and the organ in question wasn't usually a little glowing ball of light.

Linker Core
As the name suggests, an organ in a mage’s (knight’s) body which works to link and manifest Mana generated within themself.
The disposition of a mage thus depends on their Linker Core, and currently any analysis of a mage’s abilities are done by examining the Linker Core.

Official DVD booklet translation, so yes, Linker Cores are organs as far as Nanohaverse goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
A training session gone awry leaves Section 6 Headquarters in shambles.

Spoiler for Property Damage:
The trainingfield is quite a distance from the building though, and I doupt they'd be allowed to do something like that close to the main building.

Quote:
That's because this is the Nanoha OC-thread, not the Harry Potter/Slayers/Sailor Moon OC-thread. We limit ourselves to what the Nanoha canon gives us to avoid needless hairpulling and overpowered characters ("my character doesn't have a Linker Core, so its immune to the Yami no Sho's capture, nya!")

On that note, its relatively easy to adjust magic systems (hell, Aspect Magic was practically inspired by Slayers Magic, but adjusted to fit the setting)

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-04-04 at 04:45.
Old 2008-04-04, 05:17   Link #22929
Tormenk

@Keroko: Awesome image there. =3

@ Tk: Tasty bluecheese there. Certainly great work detailing and setting down rules for a magic system. New age ninjas are great as well, certainly more lively profiles than the ones I'm going to introduce now.

Next two of the expanded Jack profiles, featuring Jas and Jec.

Spoiler for Jack of Clubs:

Spoiler for Jack of Diamonds:

I'll leave the Jacks short and revised write up about the Prize for next time. The effort of revising Katrina's profile still looms though.

Old 2008-04-04, 05:41   Link #22930
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

An interesting discussion in WoW made me realize a little problem with Kia's return. I've got a crack idea to fix it; and that means work on Codex Alienhunters has finally begun...

Now if only I can finish all 4 Codex, we'd be able to have the Forces of the Imperium around for once.

But whatever, there's been quite a bit of backlog. Time for...

Deed, Dieci and Wendi:

JETTO STREAM ATTACK!!!

Quote:
Not necisarely, it is very much possible to write StrikerS with the inclusion of OC's and not fandamentally change the story. However, this would defeat the purpose of Rebuilt, which was basically to rewrite StrikerS and fix the many mistakes 7Arcs introduced.
Well I'm still trying...

Quote:
Okay, the first thing we ned to do is decide what you want. Do you want an insertion of characters that run with the story? Or do you want to re-qrite StrikerS and clear 7arcs mistakes? Either is fine, but the second would definetely make it go AU. Now, there is nothing wrong with that. If an S4 will arive, Alpha has a high chance of going AU. Ghaz's fic is already AU, does that make it any less fun to read? No. Go with what suits you the best, what you feel the most comfortable writing.
I wonder... If I keep making mistakes how is that possible...

...and there's yet another error. Erio's confession about his past is much later in StrikerS; the conversation with Keira in Episode 1 might retcon that......

AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!

WTB Bigger Mind's Eye to think of StrikerS as a whole. -_-

Quote:
*Walks in*

Spoiler for MGLN Riot Force 6:

*Leaves*
Two new OCs, and the evil faction appears. Sata-nyan will be proud. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
...who are you and what have you- wait.

...why am I not surprised Kha is attempting to insert more crack?
Wait wait wait you're getting me wrong!!!

I meant look at that Gatling! Isn't that not allowed? But the design is so mesmerizing it's hard to resist...

But don't worry; that new OC from the Band of Khrack will be using an MG and not a Gatling as originally planned.

Quote:
Oh hell yea . I also watched the Tokyo Revelations OVA...holy crap she is GAR

And a CCS fic, huh? Mind sharing? :3 PM me!!!
It's only 4 chapters done, and all I got to was fanservice.

Quote:
~It all returns to nothing
It just keeps tumbling down
...tumbling down
...tumbling down~

Quote:
Damn...now I need to figure out how to farm gold for that tabard .
Hell, I need to LVL my hunter more first >_<. Damn Sunwell dailies are eating up my time

...took the pic in the Barrens? Or near that Horde major city?
Barrens. Now if only I could cross my avatar's arms and find a set of orange sunglasses...

Quote:
Hmmm...

>_>

<_<

Syn: A whole new world

Vivio: Don't you dare close your eyes

Syn: A hundred thousand things to see

Vivio: Hold your breath it gets better
I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I cant go back to where I used to be

A whole new world

Syn: Every turn a surprise

Vivio: With new horizons to pursue

Syn: Every moment red letter

Syn & Vivio: I'll chase them anywhere there's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

Vivio: A whole new world

Syn: A whole new world
Thats where we'll be

Vivio: Thats where we'll be

Syn: A thrilling chase

Vivio: A wondrous place

Syn & Vivio: For you and me.........

>_>

*RUNS LIKE HELL*
EPIC KHRACK EVA SINCE NIGHTY'S A WHOLE NEW GUNDAM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
WoW...it's a curse, I say! A bloody curse!!!
Joooin usssss....

Quote:
C'mon Kha, didn't they tell you Teana got her Full Drive up and running? :3
Do you guys seriously think I wanted to give Teana a gatling? Is that even in chara?! If I wanted I'd go as far as a Silencer mode that allows her to launch invisible and silent magical rounds that travel very fast.

Yes, THAT is her unKhracked Limiter Break. Dual semiautomatic handguns with silencers.

Quote:
It's official: Keroko is not only a trap, s/he openly advertises it.
It's old news buddy.

Quote:
I'll be blunt this time - DO NOT bring an SSS character in here. This is coming from someone who was stupid enough to try it himself. Just...don't.
Take it from him, and the guy speaking now, who once faked an X rank for lulz and got far more than he bargained for.
Old 2008-04-04, 09:53   Link #22931
Wibbles
Better than you.

Quote:
The trainingfield is quite a distance from the building though, and I doupt they'd be allowed to do something like that close to the main building.
Damn. Well, it was a fun idea.
Old 2008-04-04, 11:47   Link #22932
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
I so want to make a OC villain that is obsessed by his own beauty while raving about how he is the strongest, smartest, most cunning and most beautiful man of the multiverse. And is actually strong. Not BS strong, don't worry. Hummmmmmm.
I wonder I wonder.
Hmm...interesting concept . This could prove...interesting.

Quote:
WoW...it's a curse, I say! A bloody curse!!!
No, it's not A mage's Decurse won't work so it's not a curse...

*RUNS*

Quote:
It's official: Keroko is not only a trap, s/he openly advertises it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
A training session gone awry leaves Section 6 Headquarters in shambles.

Spoiler for Property Damage:

Poor Hayate...poor building

Quote:
New Keroko image! Courtesy of Mercurianangel.

Spoiler for Don't you just want to kiss her?:

That one's going in the profile. :3 Many many thanks Mercurianangel!

So...so...CUTE~~~~

Quote:
*imagines Syn and Vivio flying around singing*

You... you.... that was low, bellow the belt, dirty.... and... and...

Oooh, I'm going to get you for this, Eva.
What? It's cute. Really!

Don't kill!! I'm too young to die!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
But whatever, there's been quite a bit of backlog. Time for...

Deed, Dieci and Wendi:

JETTO STREAM ATTACK!!!

*snicker*

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:
It's only 4 chapters done, and all I got to was fanservice.
Nothing wrong with fanservice

Quote:
EPIC KHRACK EVA SINCE NIGHTY'S A WHOLE NEW GUNDAM!!!
Old 2008-04-04, 11:50   Link #22933
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Has anything been done with dual-element linker cores? I'm thinking of a fire/wind combo that provides a synergy boost to a spell's effects.
Old 2008-04-04, 12:04   Link #22934
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

We haven't, no, mainly because we don't concider it possible. Elemental affinities are pretty much decided on birth, and so far even a single elemental affinity is concicered a rarity. Multiple ones are deemed impossible.

Of course, a mage capable of casting multiple elemental spells is perfectly viable, but they'd have to be chanted spells.
Old 2008-04-04, 12:10   Link #22935
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
We haven't, no, mainly because we don't concider it possible.
Bah, still more limitations. How the heck am I supposed to make something interesting if all the good stuff is impossible?
Old 2008-04-04, 12:20   Link #22936
Tormenk

Quote:
Bah, still more limitations. How the heck am I supposed to make something interesting if all the good stuff is impossible?

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonades.

(Tempted to say kick reason to the curb but that won't make sense in this situation no?)

Old 2008-04-04, 12:24   Link #22937
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
I so want to make a OC villain that is obsessed by his own beauty while raving about how he is the strongest, smartest, most cunning and most beautiful man of the multiverse. And is actually strong. Not BS strong, don't worry. Hummmmmmm.
I wonder I wonder.
Sounds like you want to create this guy or even this one.
Quote:
Oh please, there are so many ways to make interesting characters even with the limitations in place. You just have to exercise your mind a bit. And imo, you have this tendency for wanting to create Mary-sues If you want something powerful, you have to put in effort to justify it
Old 2008-04-04, 12:42   Link #22938
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
If you want something powerful, you have to put in effort to justify it
Like so?

This is a race of metahumans borrowed from Troy Stanton's fanfic "Sailor Moon V".

Spoiler for Denizens:
Old 2008-04-04, 14:19   Link #22939
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You forgot to mention that Denizens also mature and learn a lot slower.

Anyway, I'm not sure if we should introduce the Chaos Factor. We still need to look deeper into the Chaos Factor itself, and how it would work in conjunction with Nanohaverse magic ('its not magic so its immume to AMF' is not allowed for example). A better way to adapt it would be to make the Denizens Chaos Factor a part of Nanohaverse magic (there are ore then 800 types out there after all) the basics are the same, but the Denizens could develop 'specialties' ranging from what is listed.

And of course Etna will need restrictions on other parts of her powers if she recieves two elemental affinities.
Old 2008-04-04, 14:41   Link #22940
Wibbles
Better than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
Oh please, there are so many ways to make interesting characters even with the limitations in place. You just have to exercise your mind a bit. And imo, you have this tendency for wanting to create Mary-sues If you want something powerful, you have to put in effort to justify it
Exactly. Balance things out. One of my characters has a spell stronger than Starlight Breaker (at least, I think it's stronger. If it's not, I'll alter it a bit), but the resulting magic drain will leave him out of commission for at least three months. It's the same with other powerful spells- there has to be a reasonable consequence.

Also, if your characters are too strong, you'll get bored, and others will get angry. If you keep the blatant h4xx up, we might have to have our OCs attack yours en masse. Hopefully, it won't come to that.
Closed Thread