AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-11-12, 01:15   Link #421
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
So, in 1) you complain about being difficult to find an app in Windows 8 and in 2) you complain that finding an app in Windows 8 is not any different than in Windows 7.

So, what's your real issue?
I just don't see the need for it as an "upgrade" because all it does is instead of having 2 ways to do something (using the menu -or- typing it in), you're now limited to only one way. All I see right now is cutting down functionality for a cooler-looking desktop, which isn't exactly an upgrade.

I am earnestly trying to convince myself that Windows 8 is better, so chill. So I want to find out more about it, not get into a semantics argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
The search feature has actually been expanded somewhat, where you can now search within Windows Store apps (e.g. searching within the Skydrive app).

Unfortunately, it does seem that Windows 8 has a rather steep learning curve, and the new shortcuts and features aren't exactly made obvious to the average Joe or Jane (such as viewing "All apps" by right clicking anywhere on the Start screen).
By far the most important two keyboard shortcuts would be:
Windows key + Q: Search
Windows key + C: Charms menu, which grants access to Search, as well as actually letting you power down the computer via Settings.
So the search feature is expanded eh? That could be interesting. About grouping when searching, isn't it already in Windows 7? Here's a screenshot:

I guess the search "window" is bigger in Windows 8...that's about it.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 01:20   Link #422
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
1) Let's say I want to find something like the Control Panel or the Calculator. It takes a wonder to navigate anywhere to find it on Windows 8. I'm also not fond of memorizing more shortcut keys because of the lack of a Start Menu.
Right-clicking the bottom left corner of the screen gives you quick access to the Control Panel, along with other tools (Computer Management, Command Prompt, Event Viewer, Run, etc.).

The Start Screen is used to launch applications. However, I find that I rarely have to access it at all since I like to create desktop shortcuts to commonly used apps (if all else fails, you can add the "Start Menu" as a toolbar, although that's a messy workaround).

Quote:
Are there some functionality enhancements for Windows 8? If all that's being offered is a "cooler desktop" and a "new sleek look", then I'm just not sure it's for me.
The Task Manager is much better, if that's important to you. Nevertheless, for desktop users, Windows 8 is only an incremental upgrade. It's more secure and more responsive.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 01:26   Link #423
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
So the search feature is expanded eh? That could be interesting. About grouping when searching, isn't it already in Windows 7? Here's a screenshot:

I guess the search "window" is bigger in Windows 8...that's about it.
Ah, what I meant was that results show up depending on what group/app you pick (by default, it's Apps first, and will show only apps. If you picked to search Google, for example, the Google app would launch and show results from Google. Same goes for Store, Skydrive, Mail, etc).

Another useful shortcut: Windows key + Prt Scr, which takes a full screenshot and saves a PNG into My Pictures\Screenshots.
Old 2012-11-12, 01:26   Link #424
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I just checked our the new Task Manager and indeed it's much nicer. I use it quite often, so I'll look forward to that. The right-clicking will probably be more convenient for me as I get more used to it. I guess I'll look forward to using it.

@blaze0041: Okay, somehow I missed that you can directly search the internet by too on your start page. That's pretty interesting. Is there a way to "edit" the default Apps screen? If so, you can sort of organize icons that you want when you press start, so your desktop become less cluttered. And then, you can sort of transform the start menu into a "start grid" which would be amazing!
Old 2012-11-12, 01:35   Link #425
monster

Quote:
I just don't see the need for it as an "upgrade" because all it does is instead of having 2 ways to do something (using the menu -or- typing it in), you're now limited to only one way. All I see right now is cutting down functionality for a cooler-looking desktop, which isn't exactly an upgrade.
There are 2 ways in Windows 8 as well. Search from the Start screen or, if you want to see the full list of "installed" apps, just bring up the "All apps" list in the Start screen. Of course, you can also just pin your commonly used apps, folders, files, and IE pinned sites to the Start screen.
Quote:
I am earnestly trying to convince myself that Windows 8 is better, so chill. So I want to find out more about it, not get into a semantics argument.
I am "chill," just wanted to know your actual issue since what you said earlier seemed contradictory to me.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 02:50   Link #426
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
@blaze0041: Okay, somehow I missed that you can directly search the internet by too on your start page. That's pretty interesting. Is there a way to "edit" the default Apps screen? If so, you can sort of organize icons that you want when you press start, so your desktop become less cluttered. And then, you can sort of transform the start menu into a "start grid" which would be amazing!
I'm not so good at explaining things, but I'm assuming this is what you're talking about.
It's one of the options that doesn't get synchronised if you have linked your user account to a Microsoft account (previously known as an MSN account or Windows Live ID), however.
Old 2012-11-12, 04:23   Link #427
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Yeah that's very useful to know! It's like a "bookmark" of your apps, which I like. This way, I can have the apps I use daily on my desktop, and the ones that I still use often on my start screen. Thanks for the responses by the way, they've been a huge help.
Old 2012-11-13, 10:04   Link #428
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

If you don't plan on using Metro ever, I tried using Windows 7 Explorer on Windows 8 with Ex7forWin8 and it basically does it job... and it's completely reversible. I tried it over the weekend and it works perfectly with some bugs involving bluetooth and account creation since those depend on Metro UI. It also loses the second taskbar for multi monitor setups.
Spoiler for big image:

But yes, Windows 8 is actually more usable without the Metro stuff in my opinion without sacrificing the new features. There is also a program called "Startisback" that also brings back the native Windows 7 Start Menu while maintaining access to the Metro UI without needing to copy Window 7 files and is cheaper than Start8. Still, it's ironic that one has to install third party utilities just to fix Windows 8.
Old 2012-11-13, 10:15   Link #429
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Still, it's ironic that one has to install third party utilities just to fix Windows 8.
Not really, it's one of the strengths of Windows that you can customize it more your liking (although it obviously doesn't go as far as the open source operating systems out there).

That's really all that you did.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 10:47   Link #430
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

and I don't really miss the start menu at all. I kinda like the startscreen...

Quote:
Not really, it's one of the strengths of Windows that you can customize it more your liking (although it obviously doesn't go as far as the open source operating systems out there).
Start screen users have Oblytile and the MyCustomtile App for good customization programs.
Old 2012-11-13, 15:02   Link #431
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

my only complain about startscreen is that it always on full screen with now way to minimize it. which kinda disturb multitasking.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 15:20   Link #432
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post

That's really all that you did.

That is the objective of every operating systems; to provide an abstraction layer for the hardware for programmers to build applications... OK, with the popularization of computers adds a GUI for simple tasks... nonetheless the prevalence of MS-Windows, probably misleads a lot of users, so we have to rely to higher level and cross-OS abstraction these days like web-apps, java, OpenGL, etc

In a perfect world, that would be clear, and easy to do, but marketing (not necessarily profit) takes precedence over the service advertised.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 15:32   Link #433
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i have a old Toshiba l355-s7817 laptop (1.8dual core, 3gig ram).

i had it upgrade form Vista to Xp a while back. Should i move it to Win8?
Old 2012-11-13, 15:52   Link #434
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

Unless you want to upgrade your laptop into a tablet, don't
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 16:09   Link #435
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Unless you want to upgrade your laptop into a tablet, don't
about what i figure

Quote:
The company has announced that the next incremental upgrade to DirectX, version 11.1 — and presumably every new version thereafter — will be exclusive to Windows 8.
Microsoft touts DirectX 11.1 as a piece of Windows 8, likening its exclusivity to Windows 8 (and Windows RT and Windows Server 2012) to how DirectX 11 was built specifically for Windows 7. However, if you were a Vista user, you may remember DirectX 11 being retrofitted for Vista, whereas Microsoft has made it clear that — at the moment, at least — DirectX 11.1 will be exclusive to Windows 8 without any plans to bring it to older operating systems.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/14...ers-to-upgrade
Old 2012-11-13, 17:05   Link #436
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

It's important to remember that the hardware has to also support DirectX 11.1 to take advantage of it.
There doesn't seem to be anything too significant about this DirectX update though.

Also, I'm uncertain as to whether my graphics card supports DirectX 11.1 or not.
Old 2012-11-13, 17:28   Link #437
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
It's important to remember that the hardware has to also support DirectX 11.1 to take advantage of it.
There doesn't seem to be anything too significant about this DirectX update though.

Also, I'm uncertain as to whether my graphics card supports DirectX 11.1 or not.
Actually, the game developers have to support new DirectX. We all remember how long it took to get to 10 or 11 in the first place, even when everything else was ready.
Old 2012-11-13, 20:05   Link #438
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

11.1 is much like 10.1 was It was mostly a revision of some components.

Quote:
my only complain about startscreen is that it always on full screen with now way to minimize it. which kinda disturb multitasking.
multitasking what? you mean to say that you have to look at your desktop wallpaper while doing stuff?

at this point, the startscreen might as well be satan, saddam, and bin laden at the same time...
Old 2012-11-13, 22:06   Link #439
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

Compared to XP, 8 is:
-Heavier. It'll be slower, probably noticeably so, on your laptop
+More secure
+Faster booting
+Retains 7's nice improvements over XP
+Has a couple improvements on top of that

So is that worth $40?

Quote:
Why do you need to see everything else on your desktop when launching an app?

Quote:
at this point, the startscreen might as well be satan, saddam, and bin laden at the same time...
"bin Laden" screws your alliteration. "Stalin" would fit more, you know "start" "screen" "satan" "saddam"
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 23:35   Link #440
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Why do you need to see everything else on your desktop when launching an app?
This response I've seen quite a number of times now. It really isn't responsive to what the consumer *wants* and the question is why *can't* a user who, say, already has several apps open and wants to see them while launching an app - can't?

This is a "feature" that makes perfect sense on a 2"x2" screen or even a small tablet. On a wide-screen monitor, not so much. Microsoft just figures the small screen environment is where the money is - I guess.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-11-13 at 23:54.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote