AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-10, 04:28   Link #361
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Sigh... first awesome show of the season to end.

Firstly yay, Fumi no longer braids or ties her hair. She's really beautiful with her hair down and anyone who says otherwise needs to get glasses.

I felt sad that they're throwing away the old books. I'm of the opinion that books should be free for all to read, but I would never throw away my old books. It just feels.... sad.

I'm actually glad that in the train station, the story didn't insist on forcing an abrupt and awkward conversation between Sugimoto and Fumi. To me it shows that, while they acknowledge each other, they've moved on enough to know that they don't need to dwell on each other to continue with their everyday lives. Perhaps saying that they've completely gotten over each other is a bit of a stretch, but the representation that there doesn't seem to be lingering or ill feelings between them that moment says they're both no longer chained to the past. Fumi says she thinks she's not over Sugimoto, but her actions tell me she almost has and she just hasn't completed the struggle yet. She's close though.

Also, everyone's shocked faces when Motegi asked Akira's brother out was priceless.

I may not have read the manga but I think the ending is perfect. To me, this show (or mabe this season?) ended in the way I always want my slice of life and coming of age stories to end: open ended. It didn't end with a true conclusion or a true confession or whatnot because it signifies exactly what the the show, and other excellent shows like it, had set out to present the very first episode: that people still have a lot of growing to do. There's still a log road ahead of Fumi and Akira, and Fumi remembering that her first love was Akira sets the stage for yet another segment of their lives. Whether or not we are privy to this has yet to be seen, but this itself shows that they are embarking on another leg of their friendship. Will this blossom into romance or remain platonic? Only time will tell it seems.

Such is life itself is it not?

I'm putting this show on my "To Wait For" list, hoping for season 2. Hell I got my Spice and Wolf season 2, and with enough popularity hopefully we'll see a second one for this.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 09:19   Link #362
bbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Like i've said enough times, that's what i was hoping. But using that would mean not really enough closure compared to the anime original material that they added to the last 5 or so minutes of episode 11. A huge shame though.
Having read the manga last night, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree on this point. The way they did it in the anime shows a lot more respect for the symbolism this show is based on. With Sugimoto going away to find a new future after her encounter with Fumi (their parting with a glance was wonderful), and Fumi and Ah-chan returning to their roots and finding their feelings there. It's a brilliant closure of the series and exceeds the way it was portrayed in the manga by miles. The manga has a habit of just dropping a bombshell on you and then shrugging it off by moving to an unrelated scene.

In fact I'd say that having seen the anime, the manga pales in comparison. In the manga there are very few of the lush backgrounds and off-center shots that made the anime so beautiful to watch, and almost every aspect of the story was handled much more delicately in the anime.
There are quite a few "super deformed" shots in the manga, and the anime could so easily have gone awry if they had decided to include them. This is clearly a case of the adaptation exceeding the original by miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Will this blossom into romance or remain platonic? Only time will tell it seems.
Do read the manga, though I'm not going to spoil it, but there are 10 more chapters with some more development to the story,
Quote:
Such is life itself is it not?
I wish..
Old 2009-09-10, 11:24   Link #363
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
The manga has a habit of just dropping a bombshell on you and then shrugging it off by moving to an unrelated scene.
Personally that's what i adore about the manga, but to each his/her own i guess.
Old 2009-09-10, 17:26   Link #364
firehawk12

Quote:
Like i've said enough times, that's what i was hoping. But using that would mean not really enough closure compared to the anime original material that they added to the last 5 or so minutes of episode 11. A huge shame though.
I like the way it ended here, because it's much more ambiguous - even though the OP basically teases the expected outcome. This way, at least for the arc of the anime series, it feels like it could just end up as a friendship on the scale of the Marimite relationships.

A second series could move things along, but ending with them as friends who have reconnected seems much more touching for some reason.
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 18:14   Link #365
Judamacaby
Isn't Amused.

Send a message via AIM to Judamacaby
I really enjoyed this anime, and the ending was everything I wanted. It was open ended, and when Fumi had her revelation, I cried with her. It was just too amazing.
Judamacaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 20:44   Link #366
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Decent show overall.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 02:09   Link #367
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The plot was a bit basic except Yasuko really carried the whole story. I'm surprised the two 'main' girls felt like they were almost side characters compared to Yasuko.

I just wish the plottwists had more weight upon how the characters interacted, yet the disjointed way the girls act is sort of realistic in how people normally deal with awkward situations, awkwardly.

It was also disheartening to see that everything ends open like that. At least it's not an evil cliffhanger like Bokura ga Ita. That show had me in real tears by the end. This one at least tugged at the heartstrings. A lot of unfulfilled loves. Almost like this show itself.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 20:56   Link #368
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

To me, Fumi was clearly the center of the story, and Sugimoto-senpai just a trigger in her development. A-chan continued to be the closest person to Fumi even when Fumi was with Sugimoto.

This isn't a plot-centric story, but I thought that both Fumi and Sugimoto were strongly affected by things that happened. However, it was not the plot but the feelings of the main character(s) -- the two main characters, not including Sugimoto -- that mattered, and matter, to me. I'm definitely keeping up with the manga, which is not losing any of its interest for me.

This was definitely my favorite show of the season, for the depth of the characters and the subtlety of how they were portrayed.

As for Bokura ga Ita, you can read the manga over on mangafox. A lot of time has gone by, and some amazing situations have developed, but maybe the plot has not really advanced all that much. I understand that more chapters are beginning to come out, though, so who knows what the future may bring. Pretty riveting for me, anyway.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 01:54   Link #369
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think it's interesting, because while the story itself haven't moved the earth and the like, the girls' emotions did go a long way throughout. I'm just a bit disappointed that we won't be seeing the followthrough on it that's all. This kind of show can go on for another season and still be pretty fresh. Especially since this season was sort of like a 'Yasuko arc' so to speak.

As for Bokura ga Ita, I wish the anime didn't divert from the manga a bit. Still wishing for the impossible: A second Bokura ga Ita season. It's like wishing for Princess Nine Zeta.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 03:31   Link #370
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Especially since this season was sort of like a 'Yasuko arc' so to speak.
That's how i've always seen it in the manga, and after this point is where the juicy main drama starts to develop. Such a shame we won't be seeing it animated.
Old 2009-09-13, 03:37   Link #371
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
That's how i've always seen it in the manga, and after this point is where the juicy main drama starts to develop. Such a shame we won't be seeing it animated.
Think Positive!
Old 2009-09-15, 03:41   Link #372
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

Quote:
Think Positive!
Let's keep our fingers crossed!
rurupeceaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 10:00   Link #373
Dop
Mmmm....

I'd love a second series too, but I gather there's not quite enough manga material to make one?

Maybe in the meantime the same production team could do Hourou Musuko as I'd love to see a good adaptation of that.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:50   Link #374
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I'd love a second series too, but I gather there's not quite enough manga material to make one?
Yeah, there's not even nearly enough material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Maybe in the meantime the same production team could do Hourou Musuko as I'd love to see a good adaptation of that.
That would be something, though the way i see it we were lucky to even get an adaptation of Aoi Hana.
Old 2009-09-16, 13:34   Link #375
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 11 "finale"

Its been long over due.

I made no mistake when i stated that Aoi Hana was going to end up being one of if not the best series this season. Needless to say i was not and am not disappointed with the anime adaptation. Strong characters combined with easily identifiable problems of everyday life of teenagers and just suburb writing kept with tissues next to me almost every episode

Ep 11
was truly emotional and outstandingly done. Noticeably there were some changes from the manga and i know Shiroth as did I wanted to see the scene from manga animated Fumi and Akira were such a joy to watch its hard to put into words sometimes. Even though it was an anime original take on the end of the first half i was still satisfied. Having them visit their elementary where their bond first started was an excellent touch and still allowed for a tremendous amount of emotion to be portrayed to the viewers.
Spoiler for Manga spoiler:
Its rare that anime actually makes me feel as though i know exactly what the creator was trying to portray in a scene. Im happy they kept "who was your first love?" aspect and im glad it reoccurred in the final episode as Fumi who came into her own over the past 10 episode came to terms with her feelings and in doing so took another step closer to adulthood. Kyouko who was easily another favorite of mine also grew. We saw her even though she couldn't meet Sugimoto face to face as she leaving we saw a signs of her growing up and moving on. I really liked her character and her interactions with Akira who naturally became protective of her. It also showed how loved can be looking you right in the face the entire time Kou really cares for her and supports her. He was a good side character i also enjoyed his reactions with Akira's brother and the rest of the girls. I was hoping for more development between the two in the anime.

The main characters had a strong presence from the beginning but its also rare for minor characters to bring so much emotion to a series especially one that was only 11 episodes. Normally side characters exist to elevate and explain certain actions and feelings of the main characters. However, as it was in the manga even the everyday school girls complimented the main cast quite well. We even have a spin off romance between a side character and Akira's brother. However it was also portrayed differently in the manga. In the manga it was made clear that they were dating here in the anime we got only a confession, but its still going in the right direction. Even the Sugimoto sisters who played a minor role and were mainly there to advance the drama between Sugimoto sempai(whose departure to Europe was also captured differently in the manga i preferred in the manga) and Fumi, were still fun to watch with their sisterly bickering. Im also quite satisfied with how they kept 2 schools of characters in sync by not getting out of hand with too many of them the transition scene flowed nicely because of this. Also, the scene when Fumi's cousin sends her a picture of her and her husband asking Fumi to visit anytime was done well that picture at that time has great symbolism as we finally see Fumi start to not only get over Sumgimoto for real but get over her cousin as well who was great source of emotional pain for her. That pictured triggered the "do you remember your first love" not first sexual partner but love which is very important.

Animation quality of Aoi Hana never let me down and imo was very detailed continuously through the series. Facial expression were portrayed very well especially the eyes. The camera spent a great deal of time on Fumi's eyes and for good reason Fumi gives her emotions away in her eyes. I love how her crying gives you a reason to look her in the eye and the result is you see strong and sensitive emotion behind them. Also, we notice that near the end of the series Fumi stopped wearing pig tails and let her hair down naturally i love how they drew her hair it was gorgeous. Plus the backround were incredible detailed i noticed how much time they spent on the train which would make sense since it was Akira and Fumi's meeting place. Even the design sets for Weathering Heights and the customs worn by the characters were very detailed. I love the water color feel of the OP hence my avatar

soundtrack was gorgeous the BGM was perfect the series and change accordingly and perfectly to convey more in whatever scene happen to be being portrayed at the time. I love the song playing at the very end while Fumi and Akira were at the school The OP also portrayed great emotion the lyrics give so much away. Hopefully i will have the money to order the OST by the end of the month.

This first half was good however it was still a cliffhanger. The 2nd half of the manga especially The Deer Cry Pavilion arc gets really juicy. There is more than enough materal to make a 2nd season so i am crossing my fingers. For those of you who like Kyouko like myself she really starts to shine during this arc especially since her character is not limited to chasing Sugimoto. She starts to understand her own feelings and that comes about through the drama club.

Anyone who has not read the manga i highly recommend it.

A heartfelt, emotional, romantic just all around fun series i wish more anime were written this well.
9.5 on my scale.
Old 2009-09-17, 01:35   Link #376
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If anything, I'm planning to give Aoi Hana my best animation decision for this season. As it stands nothing else comes close.
Old 2009-09-17, 02:15   Link #377
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Easily the best of its genre. Had high hopes for it the moment I heard of the anime being made it it's proben to be the hidden gem of the year. 9.7/10 for me. I love it to pieces. Miles ahead of anything else made this year. The ending is a reflection of what the series has always been about - pure, innocent, true loves that transcends gender, carnality, prejudice and convention. It's just a continual breath of fresh air and a beam of light. It's nice to see a creator's dream work from start to finish and be executed as they intended in both forms. Which is so rare these days. Going to remember this series fondly for a very long time. Feel honoured to have been able to watch it all.
Old 2009-09-17, 03:28   Link #378
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Easily the best of its genre. Had high hopes for it the moment I heard of the anime being made it it's proben to be the hidden gem of the year. 9.7/10 for me. I love it to pieces. Miles ahead of anything else made this year. The ending is a reflection of what the series has always been about - pure, innocent, true loves that transcends gender, carnality, prejudice and convention. It's just a continual breath of fresh air and a beam of light. It's nice to see a creator's dream work from start to finish and be executed as they intended in both forms. Which is so rare these days. Going to remember this series fondly for a very long time. Feel honoured to have been able to watch it all.
With as much love as you have for the series, i believe you should be reading the manga.
Old 2009-09-17, 08:23   Link #379
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
With as much love as you have for the series, i believe you should be reading the manga.
+1 nods his head in agreement
Old 2009-09-17, 10:54   Link #380
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well I finished the anime and was nearly in tears for how sweet and quiet the ending was, it seemed to sum up the whole season.
And yes I will be trying the manga, so some certain forum members can rejoice!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, school life, yuri