AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-04-07, 21:46   Link #1221
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
...even though Madoka is way better than IS in every single aspect.
exception made for the pan-cake faces.
Old 2011-04-07, 21:49   Link #1222
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
exception made for the pan-cake faces.
Pan-cake faces? Care to explain?
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 21:59   Link #1223
Dahak86
Classics never age

the style, the character design... just doesn't sit well with me.
personal taste, I guess. no need to take it seriously.
Old 2011-04-07, 22:10   Link #1224
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
the style, the character design... just doesn't sit well with me.
personal taste, I guess. no need to take it seriously.
So that means IS' characters design and the animation graphic quality are better than theirs.
Heh, got to agree with you, as I'm in the same boat as yours.
Old 2011-04-08, 04:14   Link #1225
yFSC

You know the whole 'IS is refreshment for after Madoka' argument makes absolutely no sense at all, right?

Madoka and IS were in the same time slot on different stations. They were competing anime, not complementary ones. The only way for somebody to watch it is if they DVR/have two TVs/watched online.

But let's be honest, most Madoka fans are pretentious enough to look down on any anime that isn't Madoka. That's just the way it is. Some, like myself, enjoyed it and most anime last season, but that's a minority. Most of them wouldn't dare look at anything else seriously that season, much less IS, so why would they buy that when they're dumping all their money into Madoka BDs and merch? It makes absolutely no sense.

That view is full of holes.
yFSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 04:39   Link #1226
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I started with IS and never bothered with Madoka.

In the first place a magical girl setting just doesn't bode well with me for reasons I don't understand myself. Frankly IS doesn't as well, but then again I figured it'll be a good laughbox so I decided to go with it and if you were asking if I got what I hoped for, I'd say yes and I'm pretty happy it did.

It's a matter of choice. Nobody is making it a death-penalty-if-broken rule that you should follow a "better" series.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 04:52   Link #1227
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFSC View Post
You know the whole 'IS is refreshment for after Madoka' argument makes absolutely no sense at all, right?

Madoka and IS were in the same time slot on different stations. They were competing anime, not complementary ones. The only way for somebody to watch it is if they DVR/have two TVs/watched online.

But let's be honest, most Madoka fans are pretentious enough to look down on any anime that isn't Madoka. That's just the way it is. Some, like myself, enjoyed it and most anime last season, but that's a minority. Most of them wouldn't dare look at anything else seriously that season, much less IS, so why would they buy that when they're dumping all their money into Madoka BDs and merch? It makes absolutely no sense.

That view is full of holes.
So it means they were being "double-standard", in reality. By the way, could you explain about the view is full of holes?
Old 2011-04-08, 13:44   Link #1228
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

In my opinion, the reason IS is doing so well is because, as a friend of mine on a another forum put it, 'the silent majority'.

Forumites and hard core fans are not the entirety of a fandom. There are people that read manga and watch anime, and don't involve themselves deeply in the fandom, but that doesn't mean they aren't fans.

They liked IS, and decided to support it.

But this is really great news. Not only do I get to be amused by the consternation of people that didn't like this show to start with, but with this, a second season is now a really good possibility.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 14:45   Link #1229
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
But this is really great news. Not only do I get to be amused by the consternation of people that didn't like this show to start with, but with this, a second season is now a really good possibility.
I have to admit, it is pretty funny seeing people put down a show they don't like, then suddenly go on a warpath when they found out that it does so much better
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 15:47   Link #1230
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I have to admit, it is pretty funny seeing people put down a show they don't like, then suddenly go on a warpath when they found out that it does so much better
Definitely. It's the greatest entertainment.

Old 2011-04-08, 18:53   Link #1231
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I officially declare IS the biggest subspace anomaly in existence.

What worries me more is the dangerous precedence IS is setting. Imagine a future, inspired by IS, where everything goes according to moe cliche plan... It's not that hard to see it. Perhaps, its already happening. From a stream of fail anime in the recent seasons. This season, Dog Days is another kind of IS-type anime, with excellent voices, an accomplished director, incredibly lighthearted for its original billing. While the existence of plot waits to be seen, and I hope Tsuzuki still has some Nanoha A's in him, the danger is there.

K-on, IS have already gone and done it. And where there is money, directors will follow.

Enough of that happen, anime will never will another Academy award again.
Old 2011-04-08, 19:35   Link #1232
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I officially declare IS the biggest subspace anomaly in existence.

What worries me more is the dangerous precedence IS is setting. Imagine a future, inspired by IS, where everything goes according to moe cliche plan... It's not that hard to see it. Perhaps, its already happening. From a stream of fail anime in the recent seasons. This season, Dog Days is another kind of IS-type anime, with excellent voices, an accomplished director, incredibly lighthearted for its original billing. While the existence of plot waits to be seen, and I hope Tsuzuki still has some Nanoha A's in him, the danger is there.

K-on, IS have already gone and done it. And where there is money, directors will follow.

Enough of that happen, anime will never will another Academy award again.
Wow, how pretentious. Why should people dare to enjoy something you declare is fail, right?

IS and K-On at least were exactly what they appeared to be, which is far better than something the professes being 'deep' but is actually shallow.

Old 2011-04-08, 19:38   Link #1233
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hey I remember a time when anime was all about grimdark and noir! Now we've swung the other way... Will we ever find balance?! That's what I'm after, and I haven't found it yet.
Old 2011-04-08, 19:41   Link #1234
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Anime is all about anime, as it always was. There are genres that are popular, but in the end it all comes to the same thing, entertaining people.

Old 2011-04-08, 19:46   Link #1235
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

In the mean time, I just keep watching whatever rocks closer to my boat. IS was reasonably close when it wasn't focused on Ichika's idiocy. Even within a "fail" anime, there may be moments of win (IS episode 3, anything with Mio in it). And in anime raved by many, there are parts I hate (Madoka episode 3-6).

If its bearable, I carry on. This is how I watched an average 15-20 series a week from each season. Granted, most people try to make me feel that it isn't something to be proud of.

How's that for being entertained? I'm not saying that IS or K-on or even Dog Days is bad for being shallow, or Jinroh for being too dark. I do enjoy them. Its just that none of them are perfect, and I'm worried that if anime directors abandon the quest for balance, plot and pacing, or try too hard (GEN UROBOCHI!!), perfection will never be achieved.
Old 2011-04-08, 20:07   Link #1236
Setsuna Asuka

...Pickardfacepalm.jpg

No anime has ever been perfect or will ever be perfect.

There's also the fact that IS is a harem show, so people should have known what to expect from the very start.

If you're expecting something something different, well I'm not sure what to tell you.

On a different note is it just me or is a whole lot of negativity being directed at IS ever since the sales numbers got announced?
Old 2011-04-08, 20:18   Link #1237
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna Asuka View Post
...Pickardfacepalm.jpg

No anime has ever been perfect or will ever be perfect.
I'll just say that I'm an pragmatic idealist and I'll leave it as that.

Its not so much negativity but disbelief I reckon. We geeks have a habit of dissecting that which we do not understand or does not conform to our ordered world view.
Old 2011-04-08, 20:20   Link #1238
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Why has this show generated such a diatribe of what is "good" and what is "bad" anime. Jesus. I enjoyed it for what it was. Lighthearted entertainment and cute girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
IS was reasonably close when it wasn't focused on Ichika's idiocy.
This. More Charlotte and Laura and this show would have been perfect.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 20:22   Link #1239
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
This. More Charlotte and Laura and this show would have been perfect.
I sometimes do wonder if the last 2 episodes could've been done better too. It was like once Charl was over everything went back to mediocre. The wasted potential!
Old 2011-04-08, 20:41   Link #1240
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Well, I don't know. After Char had her development in the couple of episodes that were focusing on her/Ichika, she just went back to being "another girl in the harem" and the show went on to develop Houki/Ichika.

I think the wasted potential could only have been utilizied if Ichika's and Charlotte's relationship would have developed to a deeper level, and the show would have concluded with Charlotte X Ichika.

The show had only 12 episodes to handle things, so the girl that got more development in the latter part of the show should become Ichika's love interest. I'm not so sure if I wanted to see a Charlotte x Ichika ending. Not only because I want Charlotte for myself *hide*

I'm basing this argument on the premise that in the end Ichika will choose one of the harem girls to be with him. An open ending could've opened some doors (more development of certain characters) and closed some others (no "clear" conclusion).
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist