AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-10-17, 11:29   Link #1881
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Based on the Haruhi fever in Japan... I'd say the odds are pretty good, but not until KyoAni finishes up Kanon2006 and their next project in the pipes (Full Metal Alchemist I think???) Anyone know what KyoAni has officially committed to after Kanon2006?
Old 2006-10-17, 11:47   Link #1882
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Based on the Haruhi fever in Japan... I'd say the odds are pretty good, but not until KyoAni finishes up Kanon2006 and their next project in the pipes (Full Metal Alchemist I think???) Anyone know what KyoAni has officially committed to after Kanon2006?
i read it from SOS-dan forum that KyotoAni after Kanon will animate 'Lucky Star' or thats the name of the anime
Noppapana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 12:48   Link #1883
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm assuming you meant Full Metal Panic, but if you didn't I'm going to go die of happiness at even a rumor suggesting the possibility of seeing Lan Fan animated.
Old 2006-10-17, 13:27   Link #1884
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pay no attention to me... yeah I think the rumor was FMP now that you say that but it was just forum noise -- I've not seen any good information.
Old 2006-10-17, 13:45   Link #1885
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
i read it from SOS-dan forum that KyotoAni after Kanon will animate 'Lucky Star' or thats the name of the anime
This is correct - Kyoto Animation's next project after Kanon is Lucky Star. There was a recent post about it here, which also points to the thread here.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 17:10   Link #1886
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Kyoto Animation does need to get around to animating the next FMP season, though.

Btw, many apologies for getting my posts mixed up. I should have read a little slower...

Any news on Haruhi manga coming to the States?
Old 2006-10-17, 17:19   Link #1887
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Kyoto Animation does need to get around to animating the next FMP season, though.

Btw, many apologies for getting my posts mixed up. I should have read a little slower...

Any news on Haruhi manga coming to the States?
No, not yet. I think there were rumors that the anime series was going to get licensed, but nothing has been confirmed yet, I believe.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 18:53   Link #1888
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I personally can't believe that nobody snatched this title up for licensing a long time ago, though. The popularity of this show in Japan was obvious enough, and the US anime companies must have had at the very least an idea how popular it was in the states, simply through its massive buzz on the internet.
Old 2006-10-17, 19:32   Link #1889
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I personally can't believe that nobody ed this title up for licensing a long time ago, though. The popularity of this show in Japan was obvious enough, and the US anime companies must have had at the very least an idea how popular it was in the states, simply through its massive buzz on the internet.
I think one (or both) of these things are occurring:

KyoAni knows it has gold and won't let it go for peanuts
KyoAni loves their baby and wants to make sure the right people get it

Haruhi is a gold mine, and I'm sure U.S. distributors have been beating down the doors at KyoAni since the singles hit #2 on Oricon. It will be licensed, it's just a question of who's willing to pay what it takes to get it. The US anime industry has been in a bit of a recession lately, so it's possible that no one can afford it at the moment.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 19:36   Link #1890
LCeh

That's a great post FPB. I definitely think it's a bit of both.

My only question would be, would SHnY be as popular over here in North America as it did in Japan? Time will tell. I personally have some doubts to be honest, but it surely will be big, I am just wondering HOW big it will be.
Old 2006-10-17, 21:12   Link #1891
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm so bored tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
My only question would be, would SHnY be as popular over here in North America as it did in Japan? Time will tell. I personally have some doubts to be honest, but it surely will be big, I am just wondering HOW big it will be.
That's a good question. It depends a lot on who licenses it and how they market it. Most of the marketing has already been done for them by the fan community (you can't go to an anime fansite without seeing a Haruhi thread anymore), but most of the mainstream community (read: the [adult swim] kids) have probably never even heard of it, so they've got their work cut out for them there.
As long as it's marketed properly (properly = tons of extras), everyone who's already a fan will be happy. I could care less how popular it gets.
Old 2006-10-18, 12:40   Link #1892
LCeh

Funny this article came up just as we were discussing this topic...

10-18-06 (5:53AM EDT)---- What's Holding Haruhi Suzumiya's USA Release?

Arguably, in 2006, the top new anime which has gained the most ground in the hearts and minds of grass roots North American anime fans is Kyoto Animation and Kadokawa's The Melancholoy Of Haruhi Suzumiya. The TV series only debuted in the spring in Japan but quickly became a viral phenomena in the English speaking world mirroring it's rapid popularity explosion in Japan. By the time only a handful of episodes had aired and been fansubbed, if you happened to tap the pulse of online fandom you'd have every indication the property was going supernova in America. It then penetrated anime cons nationwide in the US, the American media and continued to enjoy strong support online. It's around this time that one would expect alarm bells to be ringing in some offices in Texas and California to start making phonecalls and booking trips to Japan. A license announcement was anticipated by AX at least and certainly at one of the major anime cons of the summer. But it never came. Meanwhile fansubs saturate file sharing networks on the internet and the whole series shows up on YOUTUBE. So What's the hold up? There are several continuities of thought. Firstly, these days when an anime reaches the buzz level of a show like Haruhi you can bet several companies will be locked into a bidding contest for a period of time. A monetary figure is eventually put on the table that can't be surpassed by the others and that company gets the license. It's very possible this process could be going on right now.

It's also been postulated that licensing Haruhi Suzumiya for the American market could come with a snag........ in a bunny girl outfit. Some are saying it may be very difficult to work around the issue of a major character whose trademark sexy bunny costume appearance is litteraly already trademarked in the United States and other countries as well. To the uninitiated, Hugh Hefner's Playboy empire happens to own the registered trademark to the traditional bunny girl costume in America. Acquiring permission to use the bunny image is admittedly what kept Gainax's American division General Products USA from selling the Daicon animation shorts there in 1989 (although it's interesting that Otaku No Video and even more recently, the videogame Dragon Quest 8 both feature bunny girls and did make it to release in the market). It's possible the costume frames could be retouched (or completely replaced with something new) as was done for US release Dirty Pair manga several years ago. In that case, Kei and Yuri ended up with cocktail-waitress dresses. For Haruhi, this kind of compromise sounds even more likely if one takes into account the fact that the entire TV series is right now being massively retouched with over 1,000 pieces of animation being added (including new scenes, props etc..) in Japan for the DVD release. It would make sense that new scenes sans bunny girls could be easily created with the artists already in the studio at this time churning out the new material. Perhaps when this process is complete international licensing activities and releases can commence.
Old 2006-10-18, 13:04   Link #1893
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
It's possible the costume frames could be retouched (or completely replaced with something new) as was done for US release Dirty Pair manga several years ago. In that case, Kei and Yuri ended up with cocktail-waitress dresses. For Haruhi, this kind of compromise sounds even more likely if one takes into account the fact that the entire TV series is right now being massively retouched with over 1,000 pieces of animation being added (including new scenes, props etc..) in Japan for the DVD release. It would make sense that new scenes sans bunny girls could be easily created with the artists already in the studio at this time churning out the new material. Perhaps when this process is complete international licensing activities and releases can commence.
WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!

Supreme %$*#-ing FAIL!!!!

Where's that pic of Quattro Bajeena saying "You phail at life!"? I'm gonna print that out on 100 sheets of cardboard paper and shove those sheets down the animators', licensers', and licens-ees' throats if this actually happens.

Thank god the above isn't an official announcement. Or heads would roll. >.>

Yes, I'm overreacting (intentionally, mind you ), but I hate it when they change stuff like this. Changing when there's a problem is one thing, but this should be fine. It's not like the anime characters are ripping off Playboy for a real-world profit, or taking away credit or anything from Playboy. And the bunny girl outfits are in like, what, two episodes? Give me a break.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2006-10-18 at 13:17.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 13:07   Link #1894
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Funny this article came up just as we were discussing this topic...

10-18-06 (5:53AM EDT)---- What's Holding Haruhi Suzumiya's USA Release?
Interesting, but that didn't seem to stop FLCL from coming out in the USA with Haruka in a bunnysuit air-surfing on her guitar...

But I think that it's Kadokawa asking for too much money and the licensors are not biting... yet.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 19:34   Link #1895
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm not usually the guy to whine and complain over minor changes for the sake of licensing, but the bunny thing is kinda like a symbol of Haruhiism as much as it is for Hefnerism after this show. Figures of all three of the main females in bunny outfits of different colors have been released, not to mention official artwork, fanart, doujinshi, and any other medium that could reflect the rabbits has adopted it as part of the package. Getting rid of the bunnies would not make fans happy. I agree with Shinji: "Supreme %$*#-ing FAIL!!!!"

Fortunately, I doubt that will happen.
Old 2006-10-18, 20:29   Link #1896
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. I'm going for the money theory ... historically the Playboy people have been pretty open about the use of outfits that resemble theirs as long as someone isn't claiming to be acting as a representative of the corporation. So they've been fine with parodies, satire, comedy, etc. Now if the official *logo* had been used, they'd protect that.
Old 2006-10-18, 23:05   Link #1897
bl4xb0x
AKA Merlow
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bl4xb0x Send a message via MSN to bl4xb0x Send a message via Yahoo to bl4xb0x
---edited---

Last edited by bl4xb0x; 2006-10-18 at 23:52.
bl4xb0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 23:25   Link #1898
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

... This has nothing to do with morals. We were talking about intellectual property rights.
Please pay attention before ranting
Old 2006-10-18, 23:51   Link #1899
bl4xb0x
AKA Merlow
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bl4xb0x Send a message via MSN to bl4xb0x Send a message via Yahoo to bl4xb0x
I'm sorry. Message modified.
bl4xb0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 23:52   Link #1900
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yes, FPB, thank you. The discussion was over whether there were any problems with the use of the bunnysuit in a show due to trademark concerns (I actually hate the phrase "intellectual property rights".... its just some shit-ake phrase made up by corporate yahoos trying to warp the original purpose of copyright, trademark, and such). The bunny costume is registered as a trademark by Playboy... but its a PARTICULAR cut and detail of suit and, in addition, it would have to be used in a manner that dilutes the trademark. Since the girls are clearly engaging in cosplay --- and having watched Playboy in legal action over the last three decades, I don't think they'd have the least problem with what goes on in SHnY. Hell, they're more likely to borrow a snapshot of Haruhi for an article on the impact of anime in America

After spending a fair amount of time in other countries, I sympathize with bl4xb0x's aggravation, though.

I suspect we can discount any "bunny" obstacles for now....

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen