AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2018-07-07, 05:18   Link #21
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

just posting it here for fun:

Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 05:58   Link #22
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Even not taking into account Hollywood--I don't think Gundam does well with movies unless it's linked to a pre-existing story (like CCA). With a 90-120 minute movie runtime there's just not enough time or space to allow for world-building or go into the depth of the politics or tech enough to make it appealing to Gundam fans or people who are new to the series--and let's not get into the point that the original US idea of Gundam was formed by series like Wing, not the original UC series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
An original story that fits a movie format is definitely the better choice in this case rather than trying to cram any source material into a feature-length movie *coughLastAirbendercoughDeathNotecough*. Make your own universe and don't skimp on story, characters and amazing action. Make a better version of Gundam F91 or something.
I don't understand the assumption that Legendary would stop at one movie by cramming the entirety of 0079 (or whatever series) into a single film and be done with it.

For speculation's sake, they could easily make the first film deal with the White Base's run from Char and co. and end the film with the Zeon's retreat from Earth. There's plenty of story and action from that chunk alone to make a self-contained debut film without it feeling jam-packed.

It can then free up the sequel(s) to deal with the Federation's turning of the tide and bringing the war to space.

IMO this would be a good way to allow the first film to give the general audience a taste of what Gundam is by setting it primarily on Earth. They can then afford to go bigger in the sequels by going all Star Wars-like.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 08:14   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
I don't understand the assumption that Legendary would stop at one movie by cramming the entirety of 0079 (or whatever series) into a single film and be done with it.

For speculation's sake, they could easily make the first film deal with the White Base's run from Char and co. and end the film with the Zeon's retreat from Earth. There's plenty of story and action from that chunk alone to make a self-contained debut film without it feeling jam-packed.

It can then free up the sequel(s) to deal with the Federation's turning of the tide and bringing the war to space.

IMO this would be a good way to allow the first film to give the general audience a taste of what Gundam is by setting it primarily on Earth. They can then afford to go bigger in the sequels by going all Star Wars-like.
That's assuming the first movie that they made is great and successful. I mean, The Last Airbender did exactly that yet it fails spectacularly. There are other failure examples like The Golden Compass, John Carter, Eragon, The Series of Unfortunate Events, etc. The thing is, not every franchise can get treatment like Batman Begins & Fellowship of the Ring where the filmmakers (like Nolan & Jackson) were so competent to the point where the studios trusted them fully to make more than one movie right off the bat (with certain conditions). They are the exception to the rule.

Some people might not know this, but a good number of greatest cinematic trilogies of all time did not start as and did not planned to be trilogies, such as: Back to the Future, The Godfather, The Matrix, The Bourne Identity (2002), Star Wars (1977), etc. They concentrated to make one very good standalone movie first and being fully prepared to not continue afterwards, making the movie experience felt whole. They only worried about the story continuation after the first movie turned out great & successful. I think a Gundam movie could use that kind of approach unless they got good filmmakers with clear & brilliant vision like Nolan did with the Batman Begins and Tarantino did with Kill Bill vol.1 where they knew exactly where to go after the first movies.

We need all the focus to be poured into making a good first Hollywood Gundam movie first. Let's free the Hollywood filmmakers from the shackle of UC storyline. Let them make their own story that fits better for a first feature-length movie that's able to excite people and made them clamor for more. Then, after the box office is reached, they can start thinking the long game.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2018-07-07 at 08:31.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 09:42   Link #24
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I’m looking forward to this, regardless of whether it’s bad or good.

Prefebly good of course.
Old 2018-07-08, 02:29   Link #25
The 48th Ronin

I just hope this movie gets a good staff.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 03:08   Link #26
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You realize that being Pacific Rim 2 is a step up from being a G-Savior 2? .
- Yes. At least PacRim2 had well-done Robot Fight scenes. THAT much I think we can expect to happen in this day and age. Story and pacing, however...

And yeah, I think an original story would work better than trying to adap any of the existing Gundam series. Set it up on a smaller scale, fewer MS and character but leave room enough...hey, wait...

....what if they adapt one of the side stories like Blue Destiny, or focus on a single group like the 08th MS Team or even the White Dingo Team?

Last edited by wavehawk; 2018-07-08 at 03:31.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 04:44   Link #27
Skye629

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic

Worse case scenario it gets to join G-Saviour in the corner of our memories
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 14:34   Link #28
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I think it should just be an AU, there’s more freedom to work with and less chance of people complaining Character A/B/C, Scenario A/B/C has been ruined, etc, etc.
Old 2018-07-08, 19:25   Link #29
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And then you'll have everyone complaining that it's not UC, so they'll complain anyway. You can't win with this fandom.
Old 2018-07-10, 05:55   Link #30
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And then you'll have everyone complaining that it's not UC, so they'll complain anyway. You can't win with this fandom.
Can't win with any fandom :P
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 09:39   Link #31
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Well, it's better to ignore UC-elitits' unreasonable demands if you want the franchise to survive and move forward. If Sunrise/Bandai made Gundam to primarily cater to them, the franchise would've been dead after Victory Gundam.
Old 2018-07-10, 10:07   Link #32
The 48th Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
UC-elitits'
Is this spelling on purpose?

Anyway, isn't the "UC-elitists" just a very vocal minority?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 10:24   Link #33
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 48th Ronin View Post
Is this spelling on purpose?
Oh......ummm.....yeah......I did that on purpose. It's none other than the product of my genius mind. I swear I did not just mistype it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 48th Ronin View Post
Anyway, isn't the "UC-elitists" just a very vocal minority?
Maybe. I'm not sure. UC fans are many but, hopefully, only few of them are elitists (hey, I did not mistype this time )
Old 2018-07-10, 22:01   Link #34
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

A live-action Gundam movie. Interesting.

At least this time we have big names backing it up.

Story-wise, I really wish they set it somewhere between Unicorn or F91, because that point in time in UC is very unexplored. Or better yet, set it in late UC, somewhere between Victory and G-Savior. OYW and Gryps conflict is already oversaturated.
Old 2018-08-01, 20:56   Link #35
Helius

Live-Action 'Gundam' Movie Teases Its Focus On Female Characters

Quote:
Miyakawa Yasuo opened up about the series’ future, and the president said his team is interested in highlighting Gundam’s large cast of female heroines in this adaptation.

“We are also aware of the cultural movement shaking the U.S. these days. As such, we are looking into how the presence of Gundam’s many female characters can be enhanced in this live-action film,” the president said.

Forget Amuro. Let's make Sayla the protag. and have the story revolve around fighting her evil brother, whom she then redeems by film's end.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-01, 22:31   Link #36
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

" Gundam’s large cast of female heroines"

Someone tell him that Kamile is a man

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 05:37   Link #37
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
" Gundam’s large cast of female heroines"

Someone tell him that Kamile is a man
No, I'll just stand back and see Kamille go all Jerid on him.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 14:00   Link #38
Tenzen12

Wait! Kamille was man?!
Old 2018-08-02, 14:02   Link #39
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Live-Action 'Gundam' Movie Teases Its Focus On Female Characters

Forget Amuro. Let's make Sayla the protag. and have the story revolve around fighting her evil brother, whom she then redeems by film's end.
No joke i would watch a retelling of 0079 with Sayla as prota as long end as canon, would be an interesting ride and Sayla is less whinny that amuro(and the military custody make more sense for Sayla). But...wait till a trailer till hype or condemn this idea.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-07, 04:58   Link #40
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...m-film/.144244

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote