AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-12, 02:02   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 642 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

The epic battle that decides merman island's fate rages on! The good ol' duo of T and aohige provide the details:

-Chapter title is "Reputation ruined". Splash page is a color page with the Straw-Hats boarding a bus to the mermaid beach.

-The chapter begins at the sea forest, where we see Den, Hachi and Camie. Den notices that the forest's whales and fish are running away, which could be a bad omen. Hachi then says that while there's no doubt that Jinbei and the Straw-Hats could thrash Hody easily in a straight-up fight, the great white's tenacious nature will never be broken, which is something that Fisher Tiger feared.....

-All around the island, evacuation orders are issued to the residents as the news of Decken's assault on the island is spread. Meanwhile, Neptune's soldiers and ministers gather to him, and try to persuade him to escape, as well. However, he refuses, saying that he'll at least wait for his sons to return to his side first. The right minister then says that the island's reputation would be sullied if the very pirates who were suspected of taking over the palace ended up becoming their saviors, and orders some soldiers to back them up. He next tries to evacuate some civilians, but like the king they too refuse to leave, as they were the ones to ask Luffy and co. for their help in the first place......

-At the plaza, enemy pirate Hammond is slaving around the human pirates in a manner that's very reminiscent of the world nobles. Robin is disgusted by the scene as she watches on. Meanwhile, Wadatsumi grows bigger in size during his fight with the Sanji/Jinbei duo. The former warlord asks Robin to help save the human pirates, as he too is disgusted by the fish-pirate's actions. We then shift to Franky vs. Ikaros, where the cyborg counters the squid-man's assault with a fireball. Next we see Chopper, who's holding his own against Dosun. It turns out that his human form has grown in size, being roughly equal to Hody's height. He then tells Zoro that he became a monster in order to help Luffy. Speaking of the swordsman, he counters an attack from Hyouzou, slicing nine of the drunk assassin's swords in one swipe. He then mocks the octo-man, saying that he's too boring for him......

*Whistle* Geez, as if we didn't need any more proof that the Straw-Hats are overwhelming Hody's crew. Well, looks like those complaining about Robin not getting a solo fight may have their wishes granted after all, since it sounds like she'll be taking on Hammond (who I've wanted to see get back in action for a while). Maybe he'll overdose himself too so he can at least put up some sort of resistance before all the bones in his body get broken, eh? Wadatsumi's growth spurt isn't surprising to me since I'd figure a puffer merman like him would pull that kind of stunt. And I'm really liking how confident Chopper's become after the skip, as well. Too bad we don't seem to get any details on Usopp or Brooke's fights, though (the ones I'm most interested in, no less).....

As far as the whole "ruined reputation" thing goes, I'm somewhat reminded of those debates from a few threads back where I defended Jinbei's reasoning for trying to stop Luffy from fighting Hody immediately (of course, that was before we realized he had a plan, but still). And I see we're still kept in the dark about Hody's great "secret"..... which I figure we won't find out until the other Straw-Hats' battles are done with.

Well, shouldn't be too much longer before the full chap's release.....
Old 2011-10-12, 08:11   Link #2
kakakka

Chapter out.

Hyouzou is no match for Zoro
Old 2011-10-12, 08:54   Link #3
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Chapter out.

Hyouzou is no match for Zoro
this chapter shows that the pre time skip straw hats can beat them, although they will have a hard time beating them.

NFP should be as strong as the CP9
Old 2011-10-12, 09:02   Link #4
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

oops! now we're moving to plaza (totally abandoning previous chapter's development when Noah fall down)
looks like Nico Robin will get some action in next chapter

Chopper and Zoro still owning
but the most epic is Franky... lol... Ikaros Wings!!! Franky Fireball!!!
Old 2011-10-12, 09:18   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh wow, that colour page from this weeks chapter is to die for. Absolutely stunning.

Edit: Robin's finally wearing those shades!

Last edited by Shiroth; 2011-10-12 at 09:49.
Old 2011-10-12, 10:08   Link #6
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Oh wow, that colour page from this weeks chapter is to die for. Absolutely stunning.
yup. i went ahead and turned it into my wallpaper!
Old 2011-10-12, 10:19   Link #7
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Edit: Robin's finally wearing those shades!
And she looks ridiculous in them. This isn't The Matrix Robin, and your future isn't so bright you need shades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
So did I .

---

Overall, the chapter was kind of boring. Lots of talking for no real reason. Still, seeing Sanji standing on Giantboy's face talking smack was funny, and Zoro swooped in to own the day...Chopper's new form was also wrestlerrific.
Old 2011-10-12, 10:26   Link #8
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Overall, the chapter was kind of boring. Lots of talking for no real reason. Still, seeing Sanji standing on Giantboy's face talking smack was funny, and Zoro swooped in to own the day...Chopper's new form was also wrestlerrific.
i agree. i was expecting a big reveal about hody or at least more hody and luffy exchange. but i guess oda needed to go back to the other battles and show how the others are faring. i love chopper's new humanoid look, it makes him look more badass.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:05   Link #9
marvelB

As strange as this may sound, I was actually kinda more interested in the evacuation scenes than the fights this chapter. Also, I'm already seeing how different both scan versions' translations are from aohige's spoiler right in the first freaking page ("True terror of the boss of the Tai"? Seriously? ).

But on the subject of the ongoing battles, I do rather like how two of the monster trio are merely dissing their opponents. Chopper's new Heavy Point looks awesome, too (now he looks more like the Incredible Hulk than ever! ). And while it was only one panel, Brooke vs. Zeo looked pretty sweet, as well (too bad we didn't see Usopp's fight, though....). I didn't mind Robin's sunglasses, personally. Still, I just hope we'll see her take on a doped-up Hammond (and maybe Nami vs. Caribou whenever the swamp-man decides to show his ugly mug again).

Oh, and that color spread is easily one of my top favorites in a long time! But I still want to get back to the ministory, personally.....
Old 2011-10-12, 11:32   Link #10
Kallen4life

Robin - HOTness us usual, shades are sexxeh .. otherwise - meh, though Sanji vs the big guy was funny

Naruto's chapter was too cool this week, so my attention was diverted
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-10-12, 11:35   Link #11
Rainbowman

Another cool colourspread. Looks like the match-ups continue and we're left in the dark on Hody's secret. Maybe next week.....
Old 2011-10-12, 11:41   Link #12
game2007

Hyozou might actually be more powerful if he isn't drunk.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:50   Link #13
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Yea I have to agree, it wasn't quite as thrilling as I hoped it to be(Think top gong goes to Naruto this week)
The lots of talking for once felt abit unneeded(surprised I'd say such a thing in OP) altho it can make for some atmoshpere building I think Oda kinda dropped the ball here.

Loved the colour spread tho, as always Oda doesn't let us down in that regard.
Robin in the flower dress is just <3!
Old 2011-10-12, 12:09   Link #14
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Chopper looks pretty freaky, although in a good way. Robin sure knows how to rock those shades, must've watched too much CSI:Miami (that panel just begs to be included in a 4koma, as well).
Old 2011-10-12, 12:39   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
It's my phone wallpaper.

Quote:
And she looks ridiculous in them. This isn't The Matrix Robin, and your future isn't so bright you need shades...
Personally i don't think she looks ridiculous in those shades. I'm just glad she's finally using them, meaning they're more then just a fashion accessory.
Old 2011-10-12, 14:16   Link #16
ntherblast

Is it me or is zoro missing from the color page
Old 2011-10-12, 14:22   Link #17
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntherblast View Post
Is it me or is zoro missing from the color page
He's reading something in the background, behind Nami... I guess he's tool cool to hang out with the others now .
---
Man, Franky's robot must be an early prototype - he has to get out to shoot at enemies - imagine Gundam pilots doing that .
Old 2011-10-12, 14:51   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Since Oda keeps emphasizing to us that the strawhats are way out of the NFP's league, I'm expecting that these match ups will end VERY soon (perhaps in the next 2 to 3 chapters) because there's simply no suspense in seeing one-sided fights.

I'm kind of disappointed that even Hyouzou is being treated like fodder. Oda hyped him up in the beginning as one of the strong players when he blocked Luffy's Gear 2 Jet Pistol and simultaneously poisoned him, but after seeing him resort to using ES and he still can't remotely provide a challenge to Zoro is quite underwhelming.
Old 2011-10-12, 15:25   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Even after all that hype, Hyouzou turned out to be no more than fodder as well, and that's despite going SSJ. Can we assume he isn't the strongest swordsman of Fishman Island after all? Or is Zoro simply that strong?

At any rate, those one-sided fights sure are boring. The fights of the weaker straw-hats seem thankfully more interesting, or at the very least, fun. General Franky is so damn useless

Chopper's new hulk form would look cooler if his head wasn't so damn small. It's still ok, I guess.

& the Robin looks cool in those shades. Deal with it.
Old 2011-10-12, 16:35   Link #20
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 642
That was a good chapter. If this Fisherman Arch is consistent with every other arch Oda has done then we should come upon some big players showing up in the arch some time soon. So far the Straw hats have decimated everyone in the Fisherman Arch. If oda lets this one go, the arch will be the first were the Straw hats have not seen a big player or face a challenge.
Closed Thread