AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: RPG: Main Character Talking Type?
He/She talks and acts based on his/her own Character. 30 65.22%
He/She doesn't talk at all. 5 10.87%
He/She does talk, but player can't read what he/she actually says. 2 4.35%
Nothing of the above fits my taste ( post what you like most then! ) 2 4.35%
I don't really care... 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-04-07, 09:36   Link #1
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
RPG: Main Character Talking Type?

Here a question for all you people out there... what kind of a main character do you prefer?

What i mean is ... in some games, like Final Fantasy 8, the main character has his/her own background and talks like he would talk ... in other games the main character doesn't talk at all, and you only have to decide a few things for him...
In others the main character seems to be talking, but you don't actually see what he says ... like ... in Breath of Fire, or Fire Emblem...

So , what do you people prefer?

I prefer it if the main character has his / her own backgrounds and talk / acts how he would ... like in Final Fantasy... on the other side it can get a bit annoying if you can't stand the main character's character ... like in Grandia II ... still, it's my favorite type...
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 11:28   Link #2
Iori Branford
UH OH SEI IS A KITTY

Let the player always choose what to say, whether by typing in a conversation topic or just clicking on a sentence.
Iori Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 13:24   Link #3
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

I like giving my characters the option of choosing what to say, too...however, the current state of development is to not make the choices actually DO anything.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 16:25   Link #4
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I dislike the "mute protagonist" type you see in Chrono Trigger/Cross, Golden Sun, Breath of Fire 1-4, and loads of other games. It just makes the game more boring, in my opinion. When someone asks the character something, he just mimicks speech and the person who asked him something says the answer out loud, so that the player (you) can know what his character answered. It's just plain stupid.
Old 2004-04-07, 17:06   Link #5
RichMan
????

Yeah, I like it when the main character talks, but you can't see it.

MainCharacter:.........
Teammate:Oh, so you plan on breaking into the fortress head on and your going to select 2 others to help you?
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 17:59   Link #6
DakianDelomast

I definately go for the strong silent types. It makes it a lot easier to get involved with the game considering that the character lets you formulate your own emotions about something. FF8 is definately the borderline for me. The character did speak but usually it was "....." so that was alright. Its when I got FFX that I started to feel distant from the game and just totally lost the will to play it.

Maybe I'm just weird.
DakianDelomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 18:03   Link #7
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
i dont really care, plot developement will change it all.
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 10:04   Link #8
Remian

I hate those games where the person your talking to answers his own questions, but its as if you answerd....

Main Guy "...."

Soldier "Oh so you like insulting me to the jail with you!!!"

kind of stupid huh.
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 11:22   Link #9
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
I dislike the "mute protagonist" type you see in Chrono Trigger/Cross, Golden Sun, Breath of Fire 1-4, and loads of other games. It just makes the game more boring, in my opinion. When someone asks the character something, he just mimicks speech and the person who asked him something says the answer out loud, so that the player (you) can know what his character answered. It's just plain stupid.
I chose the "mute protagonist" because of a game that has made me look at it in a new light; one of the games you mentioned, AG3. That game is Golden Sun. I love those yes or no questions! The thing is, other than the yes/no questions; when you play the sequal, you suddenly see the character you played as speaking, something you aren't familiar with. I transferred my Golden Sun data to GS: TLA and when I saw Isaac speaking I was somehow "excited" because I got to see the personality of a character I controlled, but never actually got to know.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 11:59   Link #10
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
I prefer protagonists with personality, which is kind of hard to find if he or she doesn't say a thing during the entire game...
Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 17:11   Link #11
Remian

Its great when the character speaks. Then you really get to know your character. You can see his personality and his actions rather than a silent guy who doesnt say nothing.

Its sad, when you control a character with absolutely no voice or say in anything. In the end you are controling a pixel or combonations of images, instead of an actuall character...
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 12:18   Link #12
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

I like the ones where the character has his own personality mixed with yours, like Star Ocean (i LOVED that game, it was my perfect vision of an RPG at the time...i hope SO3 lives up to it...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 00:24   Link #13
Imazul

Usually I dont really care but my favorite type is actually Squall, he talks but its not irrelevant and hes sarcastic wich I like (thats my favorite personality traits in a person/character)
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 22:55   Link #14
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami

I prefer to have the characters talk and act out their own parts. Like FFX and FFX-2. Just my humble opinion on it.
Lady Yanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 23:37   Link #15
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I selected Nothing of the above fits my taste, I want the ability to select what the main character says and does myself, ie. Fallout and PST style. At least an option for the main character to be EVIL!!!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 10:27   Link #16
Draikan7

As long as the voice acting is good, i don't care if the main character speaks or not. ffx was decent with tidus talking i guess. but i also like the silent type such as golden sun and link in zelda but that's not really a rpg.
Draikan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 11:07   Link #17
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remian
Its great when the character speaks. Then you really get to know your character. You can see his personality and his actions rather than a silent guy who doesnt say nothing.
I agree. I prefer it when a character acts out according to his/her personality. This way the character 'feels' more like a real person, than a mute protaganist or one where the players is constantly choosing what the character will say.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 11:33   Link #18
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

Depends on the game.

In an "Japanese style" RPG, thats played out kinda like a movie (eg, Final Fantasy) I prefer characters with thier own personality.

In a "western style" RPG, where the emphasis is usually on actually role playing the character (eg, KOTOR, NWN, etc) rather than "watching" another characters story, I prefer to choose what my character is saying.
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 02:10   Link #19
Lagi

The elipsis speech can create a pretty strong character if the dialogue returned to the protagonist does not directly give away what the elipsis was supposed to mean (you guys beat this to death). This way, the player actually feels that the protagonist just sat there silently and the other characters understood his intentions (via body language or somesuch).

See: Shining Force III. That's the first game I've played that used this kind of protagonist (that I can remember) and it's surely the only one that did a convincing job at it.

Lagi is offline   Reply With Quote