AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 91 41.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-26, 04:30   Link #141
nasheq

i think the anime series is for fans only. i mean hardcore fans. they totally skipped a bunch of storyline - and if i hadn't read like 5-6 anime blogs + this forum + other sources about the novels - i wouldn't have a clue wtf is going on.

unless they figure out a way to reveal questions that casual viewers have - this anime isn't going anywhere beyond the typical fanatic show.

i enjoy the show. i can't say this show is on par with top tier anime like planetes, 12 kingsdoms, etc. but it's definately worth a watch. i hope it doesn't end up like other shows this season - high production values , shitty story / characters .. e.g. fate stay night (they had one good episode - the archer battle. and one good character .. ilya).
Old 2006-04-26, 05:13   Link #142
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasheq
i think the anime series is for fans only. i mean hardcore fans. they totally skipped a bunch of storyline - and if i hadn't read like 5-6 anime blogs + this forum + other sources about the novels - i wouldn't have a clue wtf is going on.

unless they figure out a way to reveal questions that casual viewers have - this anime isn't going anywhere beyond the typical fanatic show.
Perhaps I'm the only one but I didn't find it confusing as to what they were doing i.e. jumping ahead in the timeline skipping parts of the story. The next episode previews usually make it quite clear as to what is going on, especially with the comments from Suzumiya, I'm only going by the fansubs though. I certainly didn't need to read through blogs and other sources to work out what was going on. For example from the preview of this episode it would seem they are picking up where they left off at episode 3.

Now if they leave it like that and don't go back and fill in the parts that they skipped then it would be confusing, as it is it doesn't take a great deal of thought to work out.
Old 2006-04-26, 05:34   Link #143
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

There's also the idea that they're leaving something for fans to come back and follow the series. Something like foreshadowing I guess. But with the novels out, it's kinda moot since alot of people already went and read ahead.
Old 2006-04-26, 06:09   Link #144
mr.muffin

Gave this ep a 9. Minus 1 cos I was a little lost at the beginning cos there was no introduction of Koizumi and there was no continuation at all from episode 2's ending.

Felt this ep was better and funnier than the 2nd one. The baseball game was totally hilarious. Wondering why Mikuru was wearing a nurse's uniform in the clubroom tho... and at the end she's wearing a maid's uniform. Maybe she's into cosplay?
Old 2006-04-26, 06:23   Link #145
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea i was thinking whether mikuru really likes cosplaying, she seems fine with all the costumes, unless haruhi sexually assaults her lol.

i gave this episode a 9, actually i gave all 4 episodes 9. All episodes are really clever and side splitting hiliarious, but im waiting for the ultimate haruhi episode that ill give a 10 to.
Old 2006-04-26, 07:38   Link #146
UserGoogol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki
Q. is it me or theres a new character introduced in the beginning of ep.4? im confuse and all and i see Yuki chanting an incantation elsewhere when this new male character mentions something with Kyon. ><. someone care to explain it please?
Spoiler for Just answering the question without explaining his mysterious side:

Last edited by UserGoogol; 2006-04-26 at 08:05.
Old 2006-04-26, 07:57   Link #147
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasheq

i enjoy the show. i can't say this show is on par with top tier anime like planetes, 12 kingsdoms, etc. but it's definately worth a watch. i hope it doesn't end up like other shows this season - high production values , shitty story / characters .. e.g. fate stay night (they had one good episode - the archer battle. and one good character .. ilya).
You're not supposed to understand Haruhi. You just hang on and pray for your life, YEAH!
Old 2006-04-26, 08:06   Link #148
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
... he sold the bat?!
Old 2006-04-26, 08:17   Link #149
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis
... he sold the bat?!
Yeah. Why not?
After Yuki removed the enchantment, it's just a plain battered metal bat, and Kyon certainly didn't claim it to be anything it isn't.

Odds are, Kyon told the Captain that the Bat is useless to him, but he still insisted on buying it anyway.
Old 2006-04-26, 08:51   Link #150
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
You're not supposed to understand Haruhi. You just hang on and pray for your life, YEAH!

best. answer. EVER.

Old 2006-04-26, 08:59   Link #151
GriS

Another funny episode , I give it 9...

it would have got the perfect 10 if not for the stupid signalling part at 14:21 - 14:53. It got me laughing initally but got disappointed soon after because the repetitive signals makes haruhi look silly and stupid. Especially the long arm, it reminds me of xxxHOLiC >.<

I like how they skip the episodes around... but it's not really intended for hardcore fans as you guys had said so. Actually, the other interested fans can wait for the series to be completed and view the show according to haruhi's orders without getting confused =)

EDIT: I believe someone asked for this animated gif (Yuki's chanting), but it looks not as smooth as the video... perhap someone else can make the better one. Size is huge! 682KB, included every single frame of Yuki's chants and deleted only the duplicate ones.
Spoiler:

Last edited by GriS; 2006-04-26 at 09:12.
Old 2006-04-26, 09:05   Link #152
Green²
It's bacon!

I'm not quite sure on how to rate this episode story-wise. It's like, we were at an over-the-top normal high school setting, -but now, it jumped directly to something more magical / metaphysical-like. Previous episode seemed about to the point where you could see Kyon possibly going around the idea that some of these characters are just nuts. But from this fourth episode, here, it's just, missing shock reactions?

However, that last episode preview said something about going directly into seventh episode. So overall, rating this particular episode on story at this point, could go anywhere at this point depending on where other episode transitions lie. But then, this already places this in the general mind-fuck category. ... Which, seems to be working.

One month time line shift of course. But seems to make you wonder what more happened during that time.
Old 2006-04-26, 09:07   Link #153
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

lol. can't wait for the time when you get all the episodes and you can rewatch it,

IN THE CORRECT CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

Or should I saw, Kyon-Style

edit: dammit. i like the word kyon now. pity my first born....
Old 2006-04-26, 10:02   Link #154
ordnance11

Now that's another mystery...what's Kyon's real name..nobody has ever said it? And who is Kyon?
Old 2006-04-26, 10:08   Link #155
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I think I know why the episodes aren't following the novel chronological order, because in case you didn't notice in the opening credits:

SUPER DIRECTOR: SUZUMIYA HARUHI

She's even taken over Kyo-Ani's production team. For her, it's more fun to show this episode in the middle of nowhere.

I can imagine her telling her Kyo-Ani minions: "Who cares if the flow of the story makes sense or not? The audience will be able to imagine the rest anyway, we'll just concentrate with showing the episodes in the order I devised!"

Oh and Haruhi x Mikuru yuri FTW!

Just hope Haruhi's eccentricities haven't put off casual viewers watching the show, then again, one has to be eccentric enough to watch this in the first place anyway, so there probably aren't a lot of "casual" viewers.
Old 2006-04-26, 10:48   Link #156
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11
Now that's another mystery...what's Kyon's real name..nobody has ever said it? And who is Kyon?
yeah nobody know it. Even novel doesn't say and it's getting on my nerve. Who is Kyon? In my opinion, he is just a mere human getting involved in Haruhi's eccentric behaviour. But again, it's only my view though (I read the novel up to volume 1 chapter 3 only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
I think I know why the episodes aren't following the novel chronological order, because in case you didn't notice in the opening credits:

SUPER DIRECTOR: SUZUMIYA HARUHI

She's even taken over Kyo-Ani's production team. For her, it's more fun to show this episode in the middle of nowhere.

I can imagine her telling her Kyo-Ani minions: "Who cares if the flow of the story makes sense or not? The audience will be able to imagine the rest anyway, we'll just concentrate with showing the episodes in the order I devised!"
I don't quite understand this part. I think someone mentioned this correct order (?,1,2,7,3) is Haruhi's order (?) and current airing order is Kyon. If this is the case, your statement doesn't make any sense. Both are totally opposite.
Old 2006-04-26, 10:48   Link #157
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
one has to be eccentric enough to watch this in the first place anyway.
I knew being a Brit had it's good points!

edit: was curious who gave that one bad vote.

Quote:
Total Posts: 0 (0 posts per day)
Find all posts by dgaaz
Find all threads started by dgaaz

He joined just to give Haruhi a bad vote, awww. babies these days, ain't they the cutest thing?

lolololol.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-04-26 at 11:33.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:38   Link #158
Julius Firefocht

I gave this episode a 10. The baseball match was just great, by far the best animated and funniest thing I watched this season. The poor enemy team's expression was just sad. And Haruhi giving out weird hand signals had me laughing throughout, she looked so funny!

Haruhi biting Mikuru's ear had me rolling on the floor too. I can't help but be reminded of Mike Tyson.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-04-26, 11:43   Link #159
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriS
yeah nobody know it. Even novel doesn't say and it's getting on my nerve. Who is Kyon? In my opinion, he is just a mere human getting involved in Haruhi's eccentric behaviour. But again, it's only my view though (I read the novel up to volume 1 chapter 3 only).
Spoiler for minor, but just to be safe:

Quote:
I don't quite understand this part. I think someone mentioned this correct order (?,1,2,7,3) is Haruhi's order (?) and current airing order is Kyon. If this is the case, your statement doesn't make any sense. Both are totally opposite.
What doesn't make sense? What's opposite with what? I don't get what you're trying to say. I merely said Haruhi being the Super Director that she is, likes to mix up the episode orders around.

Even though her numbering is the correct order, she doesn't stick to them and orders Kyo-Ani to show them in order of how "interesting" they are to her for the week. So I don't see any conflict of my statement with the fact that Haruhi's episode numbering is the correct chronological numbering.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:46   Link #160
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Just hope Haruhi's eccentricities haven't put off casual viewers watching the show, then again, one has to be eccentric enough to watch this in the first place anyway, so there probably aren't a lot of "casual" viewers.
Which in case, I could probably put this scene:

to something like continuous jiz cycle under a male horse, and everybody would be in agreement.

It's Haruhi!

/Further request however will have to be forwarded to Catgirls. ... ...
Closed Thread