Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-09-10, 17:05   Link #1421
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFirestorm View Post
Well I guess he has it coming. I find it foolish that the Empire continually things of war with our world when they have no chance of winning and have had their armies slaughtered every time they fought us
the empire(s) of the fantasy realm has no chance of winning against earth,yet earth have no chance of conquering the fantasy realm.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 17:15   Link #1422
GBFirestorm

You seriously think so with all of our combined military might? Drop a few nukes on them and see what happens
GBFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 18:31   Link #1423
Razorfloss

all it takes is one arcmage if dnd is any way to measure
Razorfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 21:01   Link #1424
Direwolf18

I see your archmage and raise you a single sniper with a high powered sniper rifle. The bullet is supersonic and will outrace its own sonic boom. Shot from a mile away your archmage will have his brains decorating the wall without realizing he is dead. Same applies for Rory. She has some pretty potent healing factors though.

Completely crushing the fantasy realm militarily is not the issue, that is a no brainer. Massed infantry tactics marching in tight formation vs high explosive artillery and automatic weapons? Really? Look up the Battle of Verdun or the Battle of Somme sometime. MILLIONS died giving it a try, in those two battles alone!. There is zero reason to think that just because they have a handful of guys who can cast a level 3 fireball they will turn out any better. At some point the government will just disintegrate as army after army is massacred. There is only so many times they can try those tactics before they just run out of men. The issue is holding it and how many peasants do the modern forces want to put into the ground if the populace proves... restive. That's where it gets ugly, especially when the newsies see blood and the water and ratings (and far more importantly money) to be made.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 21:44   Link #1425
kazzuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
I see your archmage and raise you a single sniper with a high powered sniper rifle. The bullet is supersonic and will outrace its own sonic boom. Shot from a mile away your archmage will have his brains decorating the wall without realizing he is dead. Same applies for Rory. She has some pretty potent healing factors though.

Completely crushing the fantasy realm militarily is not the issue, that is a no brainer. Massed infantry tactics marching in tight formation vs high explosive artillery and automatic weapons? Really? Look up the Battle of Verdun or the Battle of Somme sometime. MILLIONS died giving it a try, in those two battles alone!. There is zero reason to think that just because they have a handful of guys who can cast a level 3 fireball they will turn out any better. At some point the government will just disintegrate as army after army is massacred. There is only so many times they can try those tactics before they just run out of men. The issue is holding it and how many peasants do the modern forces want to put into the ground if the populace proves... restive. That's where it gets ugly, especially when the newsies see blood and the water and ratings (and far more importantly money) to be made.
So what if the gods come out of their hiding and open a can of whoop ass. It was already stated tat gods are op. Furthermore they don't need to have physical manifestation to fight.
kazzuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 22:02   Link #1426
Brin A'sair

All that the fantasy world needs to do to "defeat" earth forces is destroy the gate before earth sends enough troops / munitions through to defeat the fantasy world. After that, the troops trapped in the fantasy world have only their remaining store of supplies against however much of the fantasy world that may wish to destroy them.

Granted, from hints picked up on this thread, I suspect that
Spoiler:
Brin A'sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 00:18   Link #1427
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya View Post
So what if the gods come out of their hiding and open a can of whoop ass. It was already stated tat gods are op. Furthermore they don't need to have physical manifestation to fight.
Then the Earth just kills the fantasy world. As in the actual planet. Via nukes. Which we can do about.... what, fifty times with the weapons we have now?
Old 2014-09-11, 02:49   Link #1428
VooXoo

Sending a army big enough to deplete the JSDF ammo is a stupid move, Stalin used it and a lot of people died. And that was with 2 forces with similar equipment, Japan is 1000 years ahead in tech, the difference is too big, mortars, rifles, cannons, radar, night vision goggles, flares, helicopter and fighter jets. The JSDF can stop that kind or enemy with ease, and is better that way, if the emperor could destroy the special area and send forces in the gate again USA and China would take the rights from Japan and start the genocide.
But probably the emperor would destroy the gate and ban the magic.
VooXoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 08:36   Link #1429
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreadzz View Post
can someone spoil for me about what happened in Vol2,3,4 and 5 !!!!
about as non spoilish short spoiler as I can make it.
Spoiler:

Quote:
When I read this on mangafox I think it was this was listed under the harem tag. From what I have read the only one whom has shown any interest in the MC in Rory or has it not been translated far enough? Is this a harem manga or not?
c39 is important because it shows the beginning formation of the harem when they all joins the quest.

btw, while the harem is set at 5, there are many other short term characters who like our hero.

Quote:
What about the women in his squad? Any chance there do you think? I am hoping he rescues the rabbit queen and she falls for him
Spoiler:

btw, manga book 5 cover, out 2014/09/22

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ゲート-自衛隊彼の地にて...dp/4434196014/

Last edited by Hata; 2014-09-11 at 09:13.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 09:17   Link #1430
kazzuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Then the Earth just kills the fantasy world. As in the actual planet. Via nukes. Which we can do about.... what, fifty times with the weapons we have now?
The gods don't die they are real immortal and much stronger than apostle furthermore maybe they have magic on par with Nuke. So if they destroy fantasy world then fantasy world will destroy them.
kazzuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 09:46   Link #1431
Fwarlord

How about the empire using psychological warfare instead, like kidnapping some Japs, executing them and hiring some guy to post it on the internet. I bet it will create a big impact.
Old 2014-09-11, 09:58   Link #1432
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Actually that's a common misconception and hyperbole. To destroy the earth in an instant requires 500 million times the energy generated by the asteroid event that helped kill off the dinosaurs, and that one is about a teraton equivalent or more, which is about 20,000 times the power of our largest nuke.
Old 2014-09-11, 10:20   Link #1433
Trung-t-rung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwarlord View Post
How about the empire using psychological warfare instead, like kidnapping some Japs, executing them and hiring some guy to post it on the internet. I bet it will create a big impact.
Which in turn makes the citizens cites for the destruction of the Empire similar to what happened recently with the journalist execution by the Islamic State.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 16:07   Link #1434
GBFirestorm

Now that Rory has made Itami her slave/servant after his death do you think once she ascends to full godhood that he will become an apostle and eventually a god or is she just doing it out of possessiveness and she hasn't actually done anything to him but wants him nd the other women to think she has?
GBFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 01:19   Link #1435
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya View Post
The gods don't die they are real immortal and much stronger than apostle furthermore maybe they have magic on par with Nuke. So if they destroy fantasy world then fantasy world will destroy them.
Two issues: One, it is never stated that the gods of the fantasy world are immortal. For all we know they could be like the Norse Gods, extremely powerful, but still killable. Second, it seems like the gods of the Special Region only have power in the Special Region.

Random crossover idea: Gate/Game of Thrones

In any case, the random fanfic ideas are bouncing around in my head again! Specifically a loosely formed Gate/Game of Thrones crossover. Basic concept is that at some point after
Spoiler for Gate novels:
, Youji finds a second portal similar to the gate, but not bound by that fancy arch the first one was based on, leading into a forest in a temperate region. Youji, possibly accompanied by a few others, most likely Lelei, Rory, and Tuka, drive their vehicle through the portal, assuming it leads them back to Earth, only for Youji to find himself in ANOTHER fantasy world.

I was planning on having Youji run Arya Stark, and whoever she is travelling with (depending on which season of GoT I decide to have Youji and company interrupt), and Youji ends up befriending ANOTHER fantasy world female with a vendetta, who naturally wants to unleash the new toys Youji brought to the fantasy world on her enemies.

Also, planning to include a scene where Youji manages to take an entire castle early in the series with the remaining gasoline in his vehicle (a Komatsu LAV for plot convenience, so arrows will just bounce off it), the remaining .50 cal ammo, and some C-4 and Panzerfausts left over from his mission to slay the ancient dragon.

Also since his ammo will eventually run out, I suspect, in the unlikely event I ever write this, Youji will be responsible for introducing gunpowder (in a simpler form, obviously, things like matchlock muskets and cannon) to Westeros. Also, plan to have him find an army from somewhere.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 01:24   Link #1436
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newprimus View Post
Actually that's a common misconception and hyperbole. To destroy the earth in an instant requires 500 million times the energy generated by the asteroid event that helped kill off the dinosaurs, and that one is about a teraton equivalent or more, which is about 20,000 times the power of our largest nuke.
Note that the actual saying involves the destruction of the human race, not destroying Earth as a planet. Basically, mankind as of current has enough nuclear weapons to basically destroy civilization multiple times over.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 01:29   Link #1437
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
You seriously think so with all of our combined military might? Drop a few nukes on them and see what happens
as others have mentioned before. there are godlike entities that reside in the fantasy realm that view Modern earth as little more than an amusement.
Spoiler:

The forces of modern earth can and will crush everything and anything the special fantasy region has to offer other than the gods of the special region.
Old 2014-09-12, 01:33   Link #1438
ZeKeR
Superbad

but nuking the capital is just too overkill tho and the bit agreed in Geneva is the whole "conventional weapons only so MOAB and tsar bomba is still okay, tactical nukes and ICBMS are not allowed" but I doubt morality can do something about that in the gate.

also, it would be surprising to see their reactions on NVG's with the whole "I can see in the darkness as clear as day!"
Old 2014-09-12, 01:50   Link #1439
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
but nuking the capital is just too overkill tho and the bit agreed in Geneva is the whole "conventional weapons only so MOAB and tsar bomba is still okay, tactical nukes and ICBMS are not allowed" but I doubt morality can do something about that in the gate.

also, it would be surprising to see their reactions on NVG's with the whole "I can see in the darkness as clear as day!"
who would be doing the nuking though? This is MODERN Japan we are talking about, they don't even posses any GBU43s. A Tsar bomba is most certainly not a conventional weapon.
Old 2014-09-12, 03:56   Link #1440
ZeKeR
Superbad

Dunno if they bitchfitted at the thermobarics as conventional tho since the TB is technically a hueg ass thermobaric bomb iirc.

But having japan get a tac nuke because "they're too dangerous and needs to be destroyed" miiight get some flak.

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction