AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 18:25   Link #22001
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Hmm crossover talk ... nah I still don't like crossovers

@Nanya and Raiser: Hate to disappoint but you're actually the 2nd and 3rd people to use the Force characters I was the first person to use them, in a Force?! prototype fanfic before the manga actually came out >:3
I cite ignorance! I didn't know Force?! was a fanfic before it was a joke scanlation

Crossovers are fun to write, but not so much to read unless I know the author is capable. As such, in this regard I'll be incredibly self centered and say I only like it when I do it.

Though some other authors I know are capable have written crossovers, it's been with stuff I've never seen so I don't read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
What I like is pretty easy. I read just about anything if it's good, whether it's a crossover fic or a romance fic. Though lately I've been turned off from crossovers because the ones I've read have been horrible, with OOC-ness, a horrible plot, and no way of explaining just how the characters ended up in another universe.
But... You liked mine, right?

Page claim for me, because I'm awesome!
Old 2010-01-07, 18:34   Link #22002
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
But... You liked mine, right?

I liked yours a lot, mostly because it was short, sweet, and to the point. Don't get me wrong, I've read some truly amazing crossover stories. They're just extremely hard to find, and I don't know if I could ever write one myself.
Old 2010-01-07, 18:55   Link #22003
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
I've read a few good crossovers here and there, but I find that they either have to be short pieces or long epics that go into great detail and builds up plot-holes in both series . The short pieces keep too much of that OOCness from coming up, and the epics usually manage to have the space to properly blend the two series.
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 18:59   Link #22004
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Posting here too.

This serves as a sort of Prologue (quality might be lacking) for the character of Project V. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with her, but she have a high chance of tying in with Wallachia.

Spoiler for The Empty Shell Searching For Answers:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:08   Link #22005
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
I liked yours a lot, mostly because it was short, sweet, and to the point. Don't get me wrong, I've read some truly amazing crossover stories. They're just extremely hard to find, and I don't know if I could ever write one myself.
"Wolf's Moonlight" was a crossover, y'know (not to mention a certain other fic idea of yours that you have two finished, unpublished chapters for *ahem*). Though rather than "characters from story A meet characters from story B," it's more like "put the cast of story A into the world-setting and lead roles of story B and see how the changes in personality change the outcome of events." Which is kind of what my My-HiME series does, come to think of it...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:32   Link #22006
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
"Wolf's Moonlight" was a crossover, y'know (not to mention a certain other fic idea of yours that you have two finished, unpublished chapters for *ahem*). Though rather than "characters from story A meet characters from story B," it's more like "put the cast of story A into the world-setting and lead roles of story B and see how the changes in personality change the outcome of events." Which is kind of what my My-HiME series does, come to think of it...
Do you mean EMDN, cause I think you mean EMDN. (Which I would like more of please and thank you. :3, it's very interesting reading it while reading Sherlock Holmes )

I always forget that those are sorts of crossovers, so I guess I can say I like those when they're well done (though tbh I can forgive a lot in the name of good writing) but I've never met a Character a meets character b story that I could stand.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:38   Link #22007
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

I love crossovers, especially crossovers done right! What I love more is that Nanoha has an excuse for crossovers because of TSAB.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of a Nanoha/Slayers crossover, the queens of beam spam? There's no way I wouldn't think about it:

I kind of feel Lina Inverse might be too powerful an opponent. I feel like Lina is a combination of Fate, Nanoha and Hayate: Lina's an all range fighter she can go hand-to-hand, take a lot of pain (thanks to her sister, Luna); good with a sword (again, courtesy of Luna who is the Knight of Ceipheid supposedly, Luna is a little better than Gourry, which is saying something); bring out the Ragna Blade (yes, it requires a lot of incantation, Chaos spells take a lot of time to set-up, in this regard Lina's like Hayate) which is similar to Fate's Zamber mode but she can only bring it to play for a limited time. Lina's Dragon Slave is equivalent to Starlight Breaker but its not Lina's gamebreaker move, no, that would be the Giga Slave.

This... I think is what makes Lina break way ahead of the game. Giga Slave doesn't just destroy gods or destroy planets but it can end the universe.

Also, Lina cheats. A lot. She's more than a combat pragmatist, fair fight for Lina means she's going to stack every advantage on her side. Every time. One of the things that can level the playing field for everyone is that Lina is extremely reluctant to bring the Giga Slave into play. Plus, Nanoha, Fate and Hayate could always take advantage of Lina's greed. But can you imagine Lina allying herself with the Three Aces? *shivers* Terrifying.

Yeah... I've been thinking about this for a while.
isagrimorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:55   Link #22008
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
So, I've been rather upset and sad lately.

This is my attempt at getting out of it.

Spoiler for First use of Force characters in Fanfiction:

Spoiler for Notes:
Nice crack . I still don't care much for the Force characters, but it was still funny . My favourite part was :

Quote:
"Does that mean we can act out of character?" Lily asked Isis, who nodded. "That means I can speak normally! Finally! I have one thing to say..." She took a deep breath as the three looked at her in confusion. "BASTARDS!"
@Dezo: Just finished "Within our own Shadow", and I have one word to say: AWESOME! And kinda sad. Whoops, that's more than one word ...
Old 2010-01-08, 00:45   Link #22009
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Double post!

RadiantBeam + deathcurse + any story = ANGST!

Somehow, these Logs started developing plot...and seriousness...and angst, of course...! This begins a story arc in the Logs!

RB and dc proudly present: Case File: Runaways

Daily Activity Log of Officers F. Testarossa and N. Takamachi

Spoiler for Log #3: Runaways, part 1:

Please note the one month time jump! And don't worry everyone: the crack will be coming back soon . Of course, the angst will be here to stay too (what did you expect? )

Last edited by deathcurse; 2010-03-04 at 01:25. Reason: Added a line near the end, sorry!
Old 2010-01-08, 01:06   Link #22010
Tabasco

Awww. For some reason, I really like the line 'you owe me cake' in the voice I'm imagining for Nanoha.

Any chance of this turning into a running collaboration?
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 02:09   Link #22011
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
@deathcurse: That was good.

Where's Erio?

Hope he's okay.

And, yes, when writing with RB, all crack turns dramatic. *Nods* We all love her for that.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 08:27   Link #22012
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
I love crossovers, especially crossovers done right! What I love more is that Nanoha has an excuse for crossovers because of TSAB.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of a Nanoha/Slayers crossover, the queens of beam spam? There's no way I wouldn't think about it:

I kind of feel Lina Inverse might be too powerful an opponent. I feel like Lina is a combination of Fate, Nanoha and Hayate: Lina's an all range fighter she can go hand-to-hand, take a lot of pain (thanks to her sister, Luna); good with a sword (again, courtesy of Luna who is the Knight of Ceipheid supposedly, Luna is a little better than Gourry, which is saying something); bring out the Ragna Blade (yes, it requires a lot of incantation, Chaos spells take a lot of time to set-up, in this regard Lina's like Hayate) which is similar to Fate's Zamber mode but she can only bring it to play for a limited time. Lina's Dragon Slave is equivalent to Starlight Breaker but its not Lina's gamebreaker move, no, that would be the Giga Slave.

This... I think is what makes Lina break way ahead of the game. Giga Slave doesn't just destroy gods or destroy planets but it can end the universe.

Also, Lina cheats. A lot. She's more than a combat pragmatist, fair fight for Lina means she's going to stack every advantage on her side. Every time. One of the things that can level the playing field for everyone is that Lina is extremely reluctant to bring the Giga Slave into play. Plus, Nanoha, Fate and Hayate could always take advantage of Lina's greed. But can you imagine Lina allying herself with the Three Aces? *shivers* Terrifying.

Yeah... I've been thinking about this for a while.

Lina is the daughter of Merchants. While she is an absurdly powerful sorceress, you can spot almost every logic in her action as profit/loss thinking. That's why she's cutthroat. That's why she's 'greedy'. That's why she cheats, stacks the deck, and takes every opertunity she gets to WIN. That's how she goes from being short tempered 14yr old redhead to outwitting Mazoku in no time flat. She's always thinking like a business owner.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 08:57   Link #22013
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Double post!

RadiantBeam + deathcurse + any story = ANGST!

Somehow, these Logs started developing plot...and seriousness...and angst, of course...! This begins a story arc in the Logs!

RB and dc proudly present: Case File: Runaways

Daily Activity Log of Officers F. Testarossa and N. Takamachi

Spoiler for Log #3: Runaways, part 1:

Please note the one month time jump! And don't worry everyone: the crack will be coming back soon . Of course, the angst will be here to stay too (what did you expect? )
I love this. You have no idea how much I love buddy-cop stories, there was a time I was into procedurals and this story feeds my love for case-file buddy cop stories! Plus, the Takamachi family! They're always fun to 'see'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Lina is the daughter of Merchants. While she is an absurdly powerful sorceress, you can spot almost every logic in her action as profit/loss thinking. That's why she's cutthroat. That's why she's 'greedy'. That's why she cheats, stacks the deck, and takes every opertunity she gets to WIN. That's how she goes from being short tempered 14yr old redhead to outwitting Mazoku in no time flat. She's always thinking like a business owner.
And that's exactly why I love Lina! At the time Slayers started there were so few heroines who were as cutthroat, pragmatic, ruthless and had such love for what they're doing as Lina.

I guess its why I found myself loving the Nanoha cast too, because they're also, in their own way, pragmatic. Maybe, I just love combat pragmatists!.
isagrimorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 09:31   Link #22014
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
And that's exactly why I love Lina! At the time Slayers started there were so few heroines who were as cutthroat, pragmatic, ruthless and had such love for what they're doing as Lina.
Ha ha ha. So true...so true. Maybe its because I have just gotten used to her character but I just cant quite see Lina as being someone who could ever get bored of what she does.

I guess shes like Nanoha in the way that she has the mentality of "I love this so much I'd rather die than give up what I makes me who I am."

Shiny's RadiantBeam Avatar Counter: 2

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 12:13   Link #22015
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
"Wolf's Moonlight" was a crossover, y'know (not to mention a certain other fic idea of yours that you have two finished, unpublished chapters for *ahem*). Though rather than "characters from story A meet characters from story B," it's more like "put the cast of story A into the world-setting and lead roles of story B and see how the changes in personality change the outcome of events."
To me, a crossover is strictly an idea where two different universes collide by some means of plot device and the characters interact with each other. It's true that "Wolf's Moonlight" and that other fic were heavily inspired by Wolf's Rain and Black Cat, respectively, but I hardly count them as crossovers.

Quote:
And, yes, when writing with RB, all crack turns dramatic. *Nods* We all love her for that.
I'm sorry for always ruining crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Shiny's RadiantBeam Avatar Counter: 2
What Avatar Counter are you using? o_O I've only had this avatar for a day, at least.
Old 2010-01-08, 12:55   Link #22016
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
What Avatar Counter are you using? o_O I've only had this avatar for a day, at least.
*cues the RB theme song!*

And now, for something different, I'm FINALLY getting out a new chapter to Red Jewel Diaries, my continuation of Crisis but with more relationship focus. I wanted Heritage to be chapter 2, but between what I had written and the heavily detailed notes, it was over half-way done.

Except all that was lost when my computer died. Still awaiting word if it can be retrieved. So in the meantime, I'm shuffling things and putting this out as chapter 2. With luck, Heritage will be chapter 3. So, without further ado, here is the rough draft to chapter 2:

Red Jewel Diaries
Chapter 2: Family

Spoiler for Red Jewel Diaries Chapter 2: Family:

Wondering if I wasn't subtle enough, or too subtle. Let me know if I should change names :P

And for the notes I plan to attach when I post to ff.net:

Spoiler for Author's notes:
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 13:33   Link #22017
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Red Jewel Diaries Chapter 2: Family
Quote:
In fact, Vivio hadn't really made any friends in her classes yet,
Vivio got along fine the first time she visited the Academy. She should have had some firends by first grade, even if they weren't as close as Corona.

Quote:
“But why didn't you fly or teleport out?” Vivio inquired, curious.

“Back then, I hadn't learned how,” Yuuno explained, then smiled. “But I did spend the next couple of years learning how.”
Try months, he could manage a hostile teleport less than two years later in S1.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 13:55   Link #22018
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Awww. For some reason, I really like the line 'you owe me cake' in the voice I'm imagining for Nanoha.

Any chance of this turning into a running collaboration?
I'm glad you liked the line ! Feel free to write a side-story about it if you like, but I don't think that the Logs will turn into a running collaboration . It's tricky enough managing the plot and story arcs with two people, and ever since the plot-bug bit us in the butts we have plans....yes, PLANS we say!

Quote:
@deathcurse: That was good.

Where's Erio?

Hope he's okay.

Where's Erio? *whistles innocently*

RB makes crack dramatic, then I just start making things into tragedies.... Yo RB, are we really that good of a combination? Everyone will be dead in a few chapters!

Quote:
I'm sorry for always ruining crack.
You don't ruin crack dear, you transform it into angst . That takes skill! ^^
Old 2010-01-08, 14:14   Link #22019
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Thanks for the feedback, and let me know if I'm not addressing your concerns correctly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Vivio got along fine the first time she visited the Academy. She should have had some firends by first grade, even if they weren't as close as Corona.
Perhaps it didn't come across real well. When I was reading Vivid, it felt like Rio was the new friend that year, but Vivio and Corona had known each other for a little longer (how much, it doesn't say). I hadn't seen anything to show what Vivio's earlier classroom experiences we're like, except for that bit in the Striker's epilogue when she's just standing to read and embarrassed to be peeped on by Nanoha and Yuuno. (and my continuation is basically going to ignore Vivid; just drawing some ideas from it for inspiration).

I assume she talks with people, but no real close friends. At least that's my interpretation until I see more detailed information otherwise. I didn't want her to come across as a real loner, just as someone who has felt a bit out of place with no real close friends (hence, she concentrates more on her studies and learning from people like Yuuno).

I also figure that, since she's basically the church's holy person, that might mean some special treatment, which might make other kids resent her. Part of a way to generate issues for character growth later, and to show why she ends up good friends with Corona (and later Rio).

I'll adjust it a bit and see if I can make it sound a bit better.

Quote:
Try months, he could manage a hostile teleport less than two years later in S1.
Partly, he's just generalizing for the sake of the kids, but I can alter it a bit if people think Yuuno is more naturally-talented vs. hard-working. (I'm more of a fan of hard work vs. naturally-talented, heh.)

But my thoughts currently are: I figure he could get the basics down in 6 months or so. No idea how complicated teleporting is to learn, but movie manga suggests flying takes at least a couple of months and Fate was talented. The more advanced stuff like hostile teleports would take him longer, just as a guess. It was more to tie into the fact that he does know how and is fairly good at it by the series, suggesting he had plenty of time to work at it and get good.

There's a wide range of teleports which I assume require their own work:
Self-teleport to a place you can see
Self-teleport to a place you can't see
Work on increasing Distance
Taking more than 1 person with you
Taking people who are fighting against it, with you

But again, I can tidy that section up to reflect that if it's a real concern.

Thanks for the input.^^
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 16:20   Link #22020
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
You know those reviews you get that just make you stare at the screen and go "...huh?" well, I got one....

Spoiler for Review on Vampire!Fate:

Seriously... huh!?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha