AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 08:52   Link #221
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ghosts, Psychics, Aliens, Time Travelers and a love story. Oh my.

That was great episode of Doctor Who.
Old 2013-04-21, 10:12   Link #222
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Interesting that we now had to question exactly what Clara is to the Doctor. As he said, he had the urge to know what he doesn't understand. But is that all she is to her?

I just feel the Doctor might be a bit less genuine than he is with other companions. We know that the Doctor has many secrets, but in this case he is hiding his analysis of Clara from Clara herself. I just feel that is a little bit rude.

Is Clara being examined like an animal in a laboratory? Is that why he didn't want to disturb the tests by tell her what he is doing?

The Doctor is telling her the truth about why he wanted her around, but not the whole truth. That's rather unethical for a research participant. So much so that I feel he views the unknown info to be more valuable than Clara herself. I find that more questionable than the many genocides and acts of cruelty the Doctor had done over the years. To deceive a Companion is just bad taste.
Old 2013-04-21, 14:23   Link #223
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Creepy and I loved it. Didn't expect the "ghost" to be a lost time traveler though, that was a nice twist.

I LOVED Clara calling the TADRIS a cow, I laughed hard.

Interesting reaction 11 had to Clara seeing the end of earth. I guess she doesnt understand he's seen it before, we all know thats where he took Rose first. So Clara doesnt get that to him it's just another day at the office.

Also interesting that even the psychic didnt have any insight into what Clara is.

Quote:
but in this case he is hiding his analysis of Clara from Clara herself.
He did tell her she's the only mystery worth solving.

Couple things I noticed. Clara says "it's obvious, like a big chin". Oswin made fun of 11s chin in AotD. Clara says whiskey is the 11th most disgusting thing. Weird little things thrown in, makes you pay attention to the dialog more.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 22:00   Link #224
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
He did tell her she's the only mystery worth solving.
Note that he was replying to her asking what humanity means to him. What "we" are to him. He replied what she meant to him. Confusing the issue, as it can be interpreted that he thinks humanity is the only mystery. When the Doctor was really only talking about Clara, and also avoided answering his views about the human race. After all, we have already seen that the Doctor know how Earth would die, and how humanity would cease to exist while a brand new species spawn in our place.
Old 2013-04-22, 19:11   Link #225
Kirarakim

Whether this Clara is directly related to the other Claras or not is she still her own individual? I wonder if that is the question the series is really asking and is the Doctor denying Clara her individuality?
Old 2013-04-23, 09:29   Link #226
james0246

What a damn good episode.

Some quick comments.

-This is another episode where the Doctor interacts with "normal" characters that are smart and resourceful enough to arguably solve their own problems. Similar to the main characters from last weeks episode, Professor Alec Palmer and Emma Grayling (stand-ins for the Doctor and his regular style of "assistant") are competent individuals that have interesting back stories and are nicely fleshed out in just 42 minutes. The Doctor certainly helped them resolve their conflict sooner, but considering the reveal at the end of the episode, it is more than likely that these individuals would have been able to resolve their disturbance by themselves. This is a nice trend that I hope the season continues with. Too often the characters that the Doctor interacts with are just a few degrees shy of being complete lummoxes, so it is nice to see some actual characters that can solve (or at least potentially solve) their own problems.

-Clara's reaction to the end of the world is quite beautiful. Her analysis of the Doctor seeing the world as being filled with Ghosts is definitely interesting (as was his response). Sadly, since we've known the Doctor for 50 years, we already know she is false. Still, this was an interesting discussion; it reminded me of some of the discussions between the 9th Doctor and Rose way back in Season 1 of the new series.

-As Bun mentioned, the dialogue for this season has gotten a series upgrade. Clara's constant mentioning of the 11th in this episode, not to mention several other oblique references in previous episodes, all add up to a very interesting subtext that is slowly being expanded.

-The monster of the week is wonderful. Truly creeping. The line "I am the Doctor...and I am scared." was quite a beaut, especially since it is a nice reversal of the usual confidence found when the Doctor first introduces himself.

-The Tardis appearing as Clara was quite interesting. As the visualization device mentioned, it appeared as the person Clara would be most comfortable with/would like the most. Is this just the Tardis being snippy or jealous, or is there something far worse going on (my pet theory for Clara is that she is the soul of another Tardis-like time travel device, in which case the Tardis' jealousy could be well founded)? Next weeks episode seems to focus entirely on the mystery of Clara, so I can't wait for some answers (or at least some new theories).

All in all, very good episode. Great pacing, tight editing with a nicely organic feel to the story and characters. 90/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 20:03   Link #227
Lost Cause

BBC/America will be showing an episode of the fourth doctor (Tom Baker) tomorrow!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:01   Link #228
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

^ I need to remember to dvr that.

Loved the TARDIS epi, interesting how time was rewritten in this one. CLARA LEARNED HIS NAME!!! And of course he make it so she doesnt remember.

Looking forward to seeing Straxx next week.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 21:39   Link #229
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Well, now we know the universe isn't going to implode just because someone know his name.

I am still confused about the Clara zombies.

Clara forgot his name, but she also forgot what he told her about her past lives. It seems the Doctor is suspicious about Clara, and was not sure if she is only playing dumb with not remembering past memories. Guess he held so many secrets that he expects others to lie too. He didn't tell her about what he knows because he wants to be sure how much she remembered of her other selves.

And finally, we see the fabled library and swimming pool, and of course they are next to each other. And was Clara going for a swim at the end of the episode?
Old 2013-04-28, 22:05   Link #230
james0246

Not a fan of episodes that rewrite themselves, so I'll just say that I loved Clara's dress in this episode. 85/100.
Old 2013-04-28, 22:10   Link #231
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Not a fan of episodes that rewrite themselves, so I'll just say that I loved Clara's dress in this episode. 85/100.
True. Resets are lame in general. More fun if memories are retained. The only thing worse is the "it is just a dream" plot device.
Old 2013-05-03, 10:10   Link #232
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Doctor Who 50th anniversary: David Tennant confirmed as only returning Doctor

That's just sad. I would love to see all 11 Doctors on screen.
Old 2013-05-09, 10:08   Link #233
james0246

Now this is an episode I can get behind. Funny and exciting mixed with good acting (Diana Rigg seems to be making a comeback as of late, and that is more than fine with me), clever storytelling and excellent pacing. Arguably the most "childish" of the recent season (in that it is more of a delicious romp of an adventure, especially once the Doctor enters the fray), especially considering the surprise ending, there is a definite pathos surrounding Ada Gillyflower (Rachel Stirling). From her nicely emotional connection to her "monster", to her struggle with how society views her (and how she tries, but fails to conform to societies pressures), and he endless suffering at the hands of her mother (Diana Rigg). It is Ada that transforms this episode from a fun romp (just another fun adventure for the Doctor) into a true story. 90/100.
Old 2013-05-09, 19:18   Link #234
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is a tough issue, and I understand Moffat's desire to not wallow in the past, though there are times were I feel his stewardship is too eager to dispense with the old traditions of the series. It's also hard to explain why, for example, Tom Baker's Doctor looks 30 years older than he did when he regenerated. I get that, but I'm still saddened that he (and guys theoretically young enough to make it work without such theatrics, like McGann and Eccelston) were willing to come back and not asked.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 02:18   Link #235
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Very nice new episode. All the characters got a good piece of the action.

Very nice hint at the end. The Doctor had been trying, unsuccessfully, to get Clara to go to a time period and place where an alternate self had been. Maybe even to see her grave or the loved ones of the other Clara. Perhaps modern Clara CAN'T go to Victorian London.

Clara been using the same name for all her alternate selves do make it easier to google search her past. She wasn't TRYING to hide her identity at all. Funny bit when she accidentally revealed her time travel by denial.
Old 2013-05-10, 06:50   Link #236
Bri

I didn't realize Winifred Gillyflower and Ada were real life mother and daughter, nor that Dianna Rigg, once Emma Peel, now played the old lady.

Time has a lot to answer for...
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 11:32   Link #237
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Time has a lot to answer for...
Don't blame time, blame her 20 cigarettes a day habit for 50 years.
Old 2013-05-11, 10:18   Link #238
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a tough issue, and I understand Moffat's desire to not wallow in the past, though there are times were I feel his stewardship is too eager to dispense with the old traditions of the series. It's also hard to explain why, for example, Tom Baker's Doctor looks 30 years older than he did when he regenerated. I get that, but I'm still saddened that he (and guys theoretically young enough to make it work without such theatrics, like McGann and Eccelston) were willing to come back and not asked.
The best thing about the 50th anniversary is in the US we get a tribute to each Doctor and a story arc aired on BBC America.

My only complaint, instead of showing 1 story arc dedicated to that Doctor, I wish they could have dedicated the whole month to the Doctor's story lines.

Well I know there aren't many episodes left of the first & second but I would have really liked to see more then what was shown.
Old 2013-05-12, 11:30   Link #239
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

About the next episode title; You guys really think that the creators will tell The Doctor's name after 50 years? I think that The Doctor will erase it like his own existence from any data base in the world.
Old 2013-05-13, 12:28   Link #240
Bri

Can't see that happen, the lack of a name is essential to the mysterious nature of the doctor. Even after 50 years he still remains an alien who is not supposed to be completely understood.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction