Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-05-12, 00:39   Link #841
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'm already planning my next visit to Japan--my plan is to do the Tokaido route from Tokyo to Kyoto on bicycle with a tent or something in case I can't find any lodging on the way. Central Honshu was the part I liked the most so it's a good chance to see more of its countryside. I could also pack the 53 paintings of the Tokaido and try to take pictures that match each one or something, heh.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 06:57   Link #842
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Arrived today. As happened the first time, while I was knackered from the 10-hour flight, as soon as was on the Narex speeding into Tokyo I had a huge grin on my face at the sheer absurdity of being here. Flight from SFO pulled up on time to the minute - at the gate, mind you - and customs/immigration took all of 15 minutes. I was on the 3:45 train - this is an amazingly efficient country.

Damn, it felt good to get back on the Yamanote - those masses of people, the wonderful station jingles... Checked in to my hotel in Bukuro and went slack-jawed at all the familiar landmarks I wouldn't have recognized before Durarara. Started my quest of eating my way through every ramen joint in Bukuro at Komen. Tonkotsu broth was superb, but the highlight may have been the strange custard with some kind of maple dipping sauce. Damn, it was tasty. Tomorrow, Sanja Matsuri and other things...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 08:53   Link #843
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

First full day. Have I mentioned I love this place? Started at Tsukiji Market, figuring its one of those places I was going to have to hit sooner or later - and I was right. It's a different look at Tokyo, at least. Followed that with a walk to Ginza, which I also missed the first trip. Finally got to experience the shockingly ritualistic opening of a "Depatto" (Miyokichi). That place has an amazing food bazaar, even by the standards here.

Highlight of day 2 (or 1, really) was Asakusa and Sanja Matsuri. There wasn't much happening at first, and I was wondering if I'd somehow managed to lose the biggest party in Tokyo. Finally, the major Friday event - the procession of the small shrines - began all the way back out near the JR station. I watched a couple of them go by, got some amazing footage, and slipped into the procession and followed them all the way to Asakusa Shrine with a tight-packed crowd of locals. One of the coolest experiences I've had.

After a quick side trip to check out the Arakawa Tram (didn't go under any bridges that I saw) - the last true "ding-ding" streetcar in Edo - ended up back in Ikebukuro. Still no headless riders, but checked out Otome Street (not much to it, really) and Sunshine City before continuing ramen pilgrimage at Santouka. I've had their famous shio with special pork at their San Jose branch, where they claim to fly the broth into the US in giant frozen blocks, so I had to compare. And you know, I believe it - the soup in California is almost as good. Finally, saw my first film at a Japanese cinema - Bungaku Shojo (starring our very own Kitamura Kou, Miyu-Miyu). It's I.G., and they're not capable of anything less than gorgeous animation, but as I only know the source material from the Wiki I confess I was somewhat less than able to follow the story beyond the basics. I get about 1 of 4 words, but I got the point - and while it isn't one of I.G.'s major achievements, it's good. Also saw the preview for "Welcome to the Space Show", which looks excellent.

Off to bed - more tomorrow...

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2010-05-14 at 09:16.
Old 2010-05-18, 08:27   Link #844
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yesterday I touched my first Japanese snow… But we’ll get back to that.

Spoiler for Long!:

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2010-05-18 at 16:56.
Old 2010-05-18, 09:29   Link #845
Qikz

Your trip sounds fantastic, really can't wait to go next year. <3
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 16:57   Link #846
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love this country so much, I tell you. I even love the stuff that drives you nuts about it!
Old 2010-05-18, 18:36   Link #847
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
the last true "ding-ding" streetcar in Edo
You know, I burst out laughing really bad when I was talking about Nagasaki with a guy from that city but who was visiting Sapporo, and I mentioned the trams in pseudo-English (since I didn't know what the name was, I just said "street car" in my best Engrish) and he called them "chin-chin densha". He then explained to me why it was like that and I understood it, but still... the first thing that came to my mind was a huge penis riding on rails...

Congrats for being there! Not a month has passed since I've returned from there but I'm fucking jealous, damn.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 06:33   Link #848
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rainy, rainy day in Kanazawa. It's a shame, but my first one of the trip so I won't complain. It would have been nice to have the sun peek out and shine off the roof tiles for a few minutes, but c'est la vie. It's a beautiful city, even in the rain. No life-changing moments, but a couple more firsts for me. I saw my first working geisha (well, she seemed in a hurry) and - a bigger thrill for me - my first miko. There she was, in white and vermilion, sweeping the shrine... I about fainted on the spot. I have a major thing for shrine maidens.

One more note - Shizuo and Izaya are officially a couple. Doujinshi writers sure work fast, but there was several in the Kanazawa Animate shop.
Old 2010-05-19, 19:06   Link #849
Qikz

Quote:
There she was, in white and vermilion, sweeping the shrine... I about fainted on the spot. I have a major thing for shrine maidens.
Why do I have this strange vision of you now camping outside by the shrine waiting to catch another glimpse?

Sounds like you're have a really good time. I should be going for a month if all goes to plan, I should hopefully get alot of stuff done in a month atleast anyway. ^_^
Old 2010-05-22, 03:13   Link #850
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Why do I have this strange vision of you now camping outside by the shrine waiting to catch another glimpse?

Sounds like you're have a really good time. I should be going for a month if all goes to plan, I should hopefully get alot of stuff done in a month atleast anyway. ^_^
Greetings from Ekoin Temple in Koya-san, where they have internet and the priest takes visa. Short post - I have a long Kyoto recap coming tomorrow when I get back to Tokyo and can surf on my laptop. I have shyojin-ryori served in 20 minutes and the monks get upset if you`re not in the room on time.

I glimpsed several more miko in Kyoto (swoon) but they were selling charms behind a window. Not quite the same...
Old 2010-05-22, 05:51   Link #851
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I have to clear my doubts. Enzo... Do all the monks have red dots on their foreheads, and are they all bald/shaved head?

Also... Do well to greet the miko and geisha appropriately. You never know what happens in Japan~

... ... Sorry for the stereotypes but it's been something I've been wondering. The best way to rid yourself of a stereotype is by asking someone that is experiencing/experienced differently.

...Have you gone to a doujinshi store yet?... Just curious. No reason.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-22, 07:27   Link #852
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Many monks have shaved heads, but I haven`t seen any red dots. Are you thinking of Hindus with the third eye? I`ve been to several doujin shops, and plan to hit a few more when I`m back in Tokyo.

Tonight, finished the evening in Koyasan with a walk to visit Kobo Daishi, along with a monk from the temple. Okonouin after dark, with those lanterns... Wow. 200K graves or more, including Oda Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu. Very spooky and beautiful amongst all the 800 year-old cedars, jizu statues and moss-covered gravesites. Sort of the Buddhist equivalent of Fushimi Inari - it`s hard not to feel something when you`re there, though quite different from a shrine.

Let me just say, as well, that the kaiseki at the temple is fantastic. I was skeptical, frankly, with no meat, onion or garlic - but delicious.
Old 2010-05-23, 07:24   Link #853
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So, Kyoto, typed two days ago.

Spoiler for Long, again:
Old 2010-05-24, 09:09   Link #854
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nearing the end - tomorrow the last full day. What a drag its going to be, going back to a job and boss that I hate. I think I love this place so much because being here is really like being a kid again. If you're old enough to have high school well in the rear-view mirror you know what I mean - the cynicism, the predictability of everyday life. Here, everything that happens is a surprise, and that's a rare and exciting thing - Japan feels like the adult world did when I was a kid. Exciting, weird, a little scary, always just beyond understanding. I'd love to move here and have a chance to discover it over time.

Today was a fun day. Started out frustrated and depressed - just about every tourist attraction is closed on Monday in this town. Finally settled on something I'd stumbled upon during a web search - Jindaiji. It's out in Chofu, a bedroom suburb 10 miles or so West of downtown on the Keio Line (a first for me on that line). A superb temple - second oldest in Tokyo, with gorgeous landscapes and well-preserved buildings. Had lunch at a fantastically atmospheric soba place just outside the walls which looked like it had been there as long as the temple. Soba was delicious - turns out its a local specialty, which I hadn't even known. After that, went to the local onsen, hidden away on a residential street. Hell, there's a great-looking botanic garden that would have been a fine stop too, any other day of the week. And none of this was in any, and I do mean any, guide book I found. That's why I love Tokyo.

I did make a return visit to Akiba tonight, and picked up a Nyanko-sensei plushie. Turns out they also have Nyanko-sensei socks, though I passed, and a bunch of other Natsume stuff. Glad to see that. I also stumbled upon a little cache of Oofuri at Animate - Nishiura HS socks (socks are big, I guess), etc. They also had several Baka-Test shirts, including my favorite, "Question 1 - Gender" with that pic of Hideyoshi about to drop trou. Rather witty, that one. Very tempted by the high-quality Simon Gurren-Lagann logo jacket at Cospa, but 10000 yen is too much. I never even knew to check Radio Kaiten or White Canvas, so I guess I have to go back tomorrow...
Old 2010-05-25, 08:04   Link #855
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Interesting trivia - Japanese convenience stores sell underpants, but not ziploc bags. I wonder if there's any deeper social meaning there.

Last day - I fly out late evening tomorrow, but I don't really count it. Went out to Kawagoe this AM, figuring it would be a mellow way to spend the last day. Then, off to Suginami Animation Museum. That was fun - a free museum really trying hard, with a helpful staff doing their best to speak English. An extraordinarily genki troop of junior high kids on a tour came in just after I got there, and pretty much took over the place.

GeGeGe no Kitaro was everywhere this week. Big exhibition at the museum, and it was all over Chofu yesterday - the author lives there. He's a huge FC Tokyo fan, apparently, and Kitaro is on all the lamposts promoting the team. If they made that as a jersey, it would be a great souvenir. I confess to never having seen an episode or a movie, but I know it's one of those seminal anime properties that's just part of the culture here. It's been remade at least once every decade since the 60's.

Capped off my evening with a visit to Nekorobi, the cat cafe I'd meant to go to last week. It's just across from Sunshine City. Whatever the reason, the cats were far more energetic than at the first one. A dozen felines, all awake and playful. These were clearly healthy, energetic and well-cared for cats - I was impressed. Drinks and snacks were free at this one, to - 1000 for an hour. I think it was worth it - I found the feline frolics soothing to the soul (and I need it right now).

I'll wrap with closing thoughts after I get home, but what a trip. I think I want to take a huge pay cut and get a job teaching English here.
Old 2010-05-25, 15:38   Link #856
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'll wrap with closing thoughts after I get home, but what a trip. I think I want to take a huge pay cut and get a job teaching English here.
I've said this a million times before, but a holiday is a holiday, you'll have one of the most magical and amazing times of your life here.
Living here is another entire ballgame all together, so let the fairydust settle for a few months before you decide

Seems you've been enjoying more of Tokyo and surrounding areas that I even knew about, nice reports

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 16:58   Link #857
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, this is my second time here and I do have an ex-pat friend who has been living here for 14 years. He's given me some unvarnished input about the good, the bad and the ugly of living in Japan generally and Tokyo specifically (he's moved a few times). I think my eyes are pretty open, but the bottom line for me is, this is a good time to be bold - I don't like my job, don't have family commitments holding me back, and generally feel like a change is in order. As I said earlier, I love the aspect of having so much that's new to me here - starting with basics like the language. It does make me feel young, and that's a good thing.

We'll see. I'd probably sleep for about 48 hours when I got back if given the choice, but I'll have so much work piled up that'll be impossible. Got about 5 hours left to enjoy Tokyo before I hop the train to Narita.
Old 2010-05-26, 18:53   Link #858
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I'm back... And jet lagged. Always seems to worse flying East, and maybe having the down vibe of coming home rather than the adrenaline of arrival too.

Now then, the last day was pretty low key - Kanda Myojin and Ueno Park. My back held up but my feet are killing me - blisters everywhere. I thought my running shoes were the right choice, but clearly not. I'd guess I was doing 5-10 miles a day so maybe the shoes wouldn't even have mattered.

I had an unbelievable time - so many wonderful interactions with folks on the trains, the temple, etc. So many beautiful places and near-religious experiences. The varied and relaxing experiences at the onsen - although the glowing brown water (one of the pools was in a cave, so I'm sure) at Jindaiji was a bit frightening at first. I dropped a considerable amount of coin at shrines all over the country. I suppose the one disappointment was the otaku side - I just didn't see much in Akiba or Nakano Broadway that set me on fire. Picked up a few doujins and the Nyanko plushie, and that's about it. As I mentioned a few days ago, I guess I just have to accept that my interests don't really overlap with popular tastes when it comes to anime and manga.

Now I'm back, and the grind begins again. Sigh.
Old 2010-05-27, 04:31   Link #859
Qikz

Glad you enjoyed yourself, sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for keeping this thread informed, was a good read. :>
Old 2010-06-05, 14:44   Link #860
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If anyone is interested, here's a selection of the pics and vids I took in Japan. Feedback is, of course, welcome.

http://picasaweb.google.com/miller.matthew85/Japan2010#

Tags
japan, travel