AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-27, 15:12   Link #2421
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Spoiler for Ep 22:

Great, now two months to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Couldn't the quartz gun be used as a baldness cure by shooting the bald patch? Ao's sitting on a goldmine here.
"Ok, Ao, just a little off the top this time. We don't want a repeat of Monday."

Last edited by morbosfist; 2012-09-27 at 15:55.
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:10   Link #2422
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Look at it this way guys, at least he's not appearing in a wheel chair in the last 5 minutes of the show.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 17:24   Link #2423
Kurohane

What's that reference Reckoner? I don't get it. By the way, I recently read your latest review of AO. It was really good. I agreed with most of the points stated.
Old 2012-09-27, 17:47   Link #2424
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Though it couldn't have been a safer bet, I totally called them leaving us in suspense for two months.
So true, I expected we'd have to wait until at least the second to last ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieR View Post
Spoiler for Renton badass!:
That's pretty awesome actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Spoiler for 22:

Now we must wait two months.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
I think the show thinks Truth is actually scary now.

It is mistaken.
Yeah, he's the one real problem holding this show back, it's so frustrating (I thought he was kinda interesting at first when he seemed to be "the guy with all the answers, knowing the world was wrong like the audience" but he only knew that in an extremely limited sense thanks to the book), with what they gave him he should be a much better villain than he is(!), or a totally different character should have taken his role to make a more scary villain (perhaps a soldier with troops to capture that Dewey-like military villain again).

It's almost like they gave him limitless power and then ended up downplaying his power on every occasion, except in those mid-point Eureka eps, even limiting his screentime instead of actually giving him more of a story and deeper motivation since he had too much power to have more screentime, so he's been left in the middle as neither particularly scary with his huge powers nor particularly involving with any relatability/intriguing plans/whatever. He feels like a "mid-boss" which would be okay I guess if there was going to be a second season with a better villain. With a really compelling villain there'd be a lot less complaining I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
What's that reference Reckoner? I don't get it. By the way, I recently read your latest review of AO. It was really good. I agreed with most of the points stated.
Spoiler for End of Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Look at it this way guys, at least he's not appearing in a wheel chair in the last 5 minutes of the show.
I hope since he's actually here that Renton actually gets to do stuff in these next two eps.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-09-27 at 20:11. Reason: Spoiler tags needs proper labels.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 18:59   Link #2425
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I hope since he's actually here that Renton actually gets to do stuff in these next two eps.
I said this as a joke:
Quote:
Last episode: "Hi son!" *kills Truth*

And snarky responses in 3...2...1...
Now watch it come true, but with a bit more padding.
Old 2012-09-27, 19:23   Link #2426
DangerMouse

Quote:
I said this as a joke:
Now watch it come true, but with a bit more padding.
LOL. (nervously heh)

Yeah, man with him showing up actually 2 eps before the end and not in the last ep or the cliffhanger of the ep before last hopefully that won't be the case still and he'll actually get some time to talk (and talk to his son).

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-09-27 at 20:09.
Old 2012-09-27, 20:16   Link #2427
MasterVampire

I wish Renton came in earlier.
Not the 3 last episodes.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 21:05   Link #2428
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
LOL. (nervously heh)

Yeah, man with him showing up actually 2 eps before the end and not in the last ep or the cliffhanger of the ep before last hopefully that won't be the case still and he'll actually get some time to talk (and talk to his son).

Spoiler:
Naw, Renton won't steal up the spotlight. He'll mostly be there for support, especially for Ao. Instead of fighting, his priority is to pass on this great line: "Don't beg for things, do it yourself, or you won't get anything."

Also, I agree that AO needs a second season. I feel your pain, when another show and not even a good one gets another season. Hopefully, we will get one for AO, because no way Bones will end all this in only three episodes without it ending unsatisfyingly. Ao and co. only just begun their real journey in episode 19. Judging from the preview, Naru seems to be no longer under the influence of the Scub Corals. Elena is back, but there is still Maggie. Eureka is still involuntarily jumping through timelines. Even though a few plots have closed there are still more still open.
Old 2012-09-27, 22:24   Link #2429
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Also, I agree that AO needs a second season.
No-no-no-no, just let it end.

What I haven't noticed is that the moon in 12021 is blank.
Which means... the desolated wasteland is the new world's future.
You know, this behavior of Scub Coral doesn't make any sense. Why would it try to take over the world so half-assedly? After all that happened? Why would it infect people and turn them into green goo?

Something else I forgot to mention: the way they disposed of the Secret's head was both hilarious and very characteristic of this show.
Renton being voiced by Keiji Fujiwara is the worst decision ever. They tried to be clever, but really just ended up ruining everything. It's wrong on so many levels, they could've casted ANYBODY, anybody who hasn't voiced a main character in E7, but no, it had to be Holland's VA. Now you're all going to feel awkward and uneasy if there's ever a scene between Renton and Eureka from here on.

And no, that wasn't Storywriter.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 22:54   Link #2430
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Naw, Renton won't steal up the spotlight. He'll mostly be there for support, especially for Ao. Instead of fighting, his priority is to pass on this great line: "Don't beg for things, do it yourself, or you won't get anything."

Also, I agree that AO needs a second season. I feel your pain, when another show and not even a good one gets another season.

Hopefully, we will get one for AO, because no way Bones will end all this in only three episodes without it ending unsatisfyingly. Ao and co. only just begun their real journey in episode 19. Judging from the preview, Naru seems to be no longer under the influence of the Scub Corals. Elena is back, but there is still Maggie. Eureka is still involuntarily jumping through timelines. Even though a few plots have closed there are still more still open.
Yeah. *sigh*

Yeah, even without anything involving old characters it really needs more time in order to accomplish everything it set out to do on it's own with the new characters and story. I hope they get it, there was some really good stuff, just Truth is such a non-personal villain that he hasn't directly pushed Ao, Fleur, and Elena like a traditional antagonist does, this is what I think has lead to a lot of the negativity which is a shame because there was a lot good in what they created for most of the show aside from some weird omissions of screentime (Naru needed more, if Truth was going to stay he needed more so he could be given a more detailed story or at least more menace if he was going to remain the villain).

Spoiler for Random thoughts:

That's a good point, that'll probably be one of Renton's duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
And no, that wasn't Storywriter.
You're right, that sounded like the new song he did.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-09-28 at 13:50.
Old 2012-09-27, 22:56   Link #2431
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
What I haven't noticed is that the moon in 12021 is blank.
Which means... the desolated wasteland is the new world's future.
You know, this behavior of Scub Coral doesn't make any sense. Why would it try to take over the world so half-assedly? After all that happened? Why would it infect people and turn them into green goo?
It was implied that those guys being gooified were infected on purpose, which means they probably screwed it up and the goo is what they get. Alternatively, this is exactly what the Scub did the first time it showed up and is doing exactly what it normally does no matter what environment its in: assimilating.

Quote:
Renton being voiced by Keiji Fujiwara is the worst decision ever. They tried to be clever, but really just ended up ruining everything. It's wrong on so many levels, they could've casted ANYBODY, anybody who hasn't voiced a main character in E7, but no, it had to be Holland's VA. Now you're all going to feel awkward and uneasy if there's ever a scene between Renton and Eureka from here on.
This is precisely why I try my best not to pay attention to the voices.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:02   Link #2432
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Alternatively, this is exactly what the Scub did the first time it showed up and is doing exactly what it normally does no matter what environment its in: assimilating.
Except if it happens after E7, Scub wouldn't want to do that!
Old 2012-09-27, 23:02   Link #2433
Kurohane

Well, I'll remember Fujiwara-san as Hughes from Full Metal Alchemist, so that won't be a problem for me. I do agree, though, it would have been better if the staff got someone who didn't voice for the original series.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:04   Link #2434
Tyr Valein

Holy CRAP Daniel Lind, I recognized Holland's voice as soon as I heard it. That's probably a bad sign, huh? I watched the original so many times I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

Admittedly, the ending with Renton was cool, but I'm just eager to get this over and done with, quite frankly. They've made a habit of showing cool things and then going WHOOPSIES HAHA YOU THOUGHT WERE KNEW WHAT WE WERE DOING! SURE FOOLED YOU! (I.E. theEND, Gekko-Go, whatever the hell they've done with the Spec2, and now Renton)

Also, is anyone else freaking upset that Aikawa seems to think that the Nirvash can just be mechanically copied and built? That was never what the old E7 was about. The Nirvash was primarily an archetype, even if it was a unique one. Also throwing around terminology like Seven Swell (which the director obviously associates with the visual alone and not the cause or effects of the phenomenon) is just UGH.
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 23:08   Link #2435
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Except if it happens after E7, Scub wouldn't want to do that!
Normally, yes, but Naru's also been making the Scub grow. In fact, she's commented a couple times that humans mixing with Scub would give them cool powers. If she's the one spreading it, then it may simply be defaulting to what it does best.

Another thing to remember is that this is only small fragments of a much larger whole. I always got the impression that the Scub had a unified will because the command cluster. If pieces of it are getting zapped off the whole, then chances are they're losing that will. Then Naru comes in and makes them spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr Valein View Post
Also, is anyone else freaking upset that Aikawa seems to think that the Nirvash can just be mechanically copied and built? That was never what the old E7 was about. The Nirvash was primarily an archetype, even if it was a unique one.
There's no particular reason why it couldn't. LFOs used an organic base, but by and large they are machines. The base isn't even a complete human form. Only the final versions were totally organic. It isn't that much of a stretch that Renton, given time, could mechanically duplicate that.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:10   Link #2436
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Also, is anyone else freaking upset that Aikawa seems to think that the Nirvash can just be mechanically copied and built? That was never what the old E7 was about. The Nirvash was primarily an archetype, even if it was a unique one. Also throwing around terminology like Seven Swell (which the director obviously associates with the visual alone and not the cause or effects of the phenomenon) is just UGH.
Makes Eureka seem really shallow, too, would you call a robotic copy of your best friend the same name and treat it the same? They seem to have implied Mark 1 is to some point a sentient machine, but then what's the difference between an archetype-based unit and an artificial one and why are archetypes more powerful? They were just used to make mechas because that's what they did in E7's world and now Kanon is so much better? Why? Because that doesn't sound like it makes sense. It sounds like toilet flushing.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:49   Link #2437
Tyr Valein

Quote:
There's no particular reason why it couldn't. LFOs used an organic base, but by and large they are machines. The base isn't even a complete human form. Only the final versions were totally organic. It isn't that much of a stretch that Renton, given time, could mechanically duplicate that.
I don't argue that Renton couldn't mechanically duplicate your run o' the mill Monsoono or any other LFO (despite the archetypal base being what makes E7 unique among mecha, aside from the lifting boards, and I'm loathe to see it go), but THE Nirvash is special for a whole number of reasons specifically because of its organic archetype. It was capable of generating the Seven Swell, was the only LFO capable of making it through the Zone, the only archetype capable of growing and changing shape of its own will (and the wills of its pilots), and the only archetype that had performance of its baseline mechanical parts increased because of the ability of the pilots to work together (noted by Charles when he was chasing the typeZERO that his Spearhead has better specs and should be faster). The Nirvash typeZERO was unique in so many ways.

The fact that the writer of AO COMPLETELY blows past all this in what is undoubtedly a ploy to turn AO into your generic military/mecha show makes me highly upset. He obviously doesn't know or care what the original E7 was about or what it stood for. I bet he just saw one shot of the Nirvash's eyes glowing before something happened and went "I want to do this too!" without ever asking about the context.

Quote:
Makes Eureka seem really shallow, too, would you call a robotic copy of your best friend the same name and treat it the same? They seem to have implied Mark 1 is to some point a sentient machine, but then what's the difference between an archetype-based unit and an artificial one and why are archetypes more powerful? They were just used to make mechas because that's what they did in E7's world and now Kanon is so much better? Why? Because that doesn't sound like it makes sense. It sounds like toilet flushing.
Seriously, tell me about it. Eureka and the Nirvash were found together. She could TALK to the archetype. The fact that the Spec2 is entirely unique out of all mecha in the series and they completely sidelined it is highly upsetting to me too. Not that they even flipping EXPLAINED how in the world it reverted from Spec3. It just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying Dai Sato has always been a good writer, because he's definitely written some atrocities, but there are too many plot holes and lore holes, mostly created from the ignorance of someone who didn't really care to learn all he could about the series (a series that is arguably one of BONES' best) and just did whatever the hell he wanted. There's no room for forgiveness there, none at all.

I just can't wait until this whole debacle is over. Its stupid and annoying and just needs to end. I used to recommend E7 to everyone I knew who would watch anime from time to time and even to those who didn't at all. Now I have to stress that they don't even try to watch the sequel, that its just better to pretend it didn't exist.

Last edited by Tyr Valein; 2012-09-28 at 20:29. Reason: edited for accuracy regarding writers/directors
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 23:53   Link #2438
Vash1306
Pancakes

What is the song playing at the end with Renton?
Vash1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 23:54   Link #2439
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
I'm not saying Dai Sato has always been a good director, because he's definitely directed some atrocities, but there are too many plot holes and lore holes, mostly created from the ignorance of someone who didn't really care to learn all he could about the series (a series that is arguably one of BONES' best) and just did whatever the hell he wanted. There's no room for forgiveness there, none at all.
You're thinking of Kyoda Tomoki, Dai Sato is the lead writer on the original show and he's not involved with AO.

Quote:
Another thing to remember is that this is only small fragments of a much larger whole. I always got the impression that the Scub had a unified will because the command cluster. If pieces of it are getting zapped off the whole, then chances are they're losing that will. Then Naru comes in and makes them spread.
I suppose that is a good point, but then everything hinges on what Quartz and Secrets are and 2 episodes to the end, we still don't know.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:58   Link #2440
aardvark

Quote:
I'm not saying Dai Sato has always been a good director, because he's definitely directed some atrocities, but there are too many plot holes and lore holes, mostly created from the ignorance of someone who didn't really care to learn all he could about the series (a series that is arguably one of BONES' best) and just did whatever the hell he wanted. There's no room for forgiveness there, none at all.
Dai Sato was the writer of the original series, he isnt involved in this one.

As far as the director, its Tomoki Kyoda, the same as the original, and he should know the lore of the original series, considering just how involved in the creation of it he was...which makes whats going on in AO all the more puzzling...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen