AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-21, 00:24   Link #181
Wesley84

Sheryl's tough to beat because they've successfully created both a professional and personal life for her. It's like she's two times the character because of it.
Old 2008-05-21, 00:41   Link #182
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Well, I like Dianna and Kihel; and Meer and Lacus as well, and I think that they're all interesting in their own ways, but I don't think that any of them hold a candle to Sheryl. She's so well characterized and she's so fun that there aren't a whole lot of characters in the past few years that come close.
Eh, don't ya think most of the characters listed above were... more or less, 1 dimensional. Or at most, 1.5 dimensional? The one Gundam 'heroine' that came across as interesting in recent memory was Flay. Although I never liked her, and she was rather pitiful. But, such was the intention, and what a successful result Flay became.

But Sheryl is... muahahahaha~~~

- Tak (I like how Macross Frontier makes fun of conventional anime wisdom, I really do)
Old 2008-05-21, 00:58   Link #183
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
(I like how Macross Frontier makes fun of conventional anime wisdom, I really do)
What about Sheryl makes fun of conventional anime wisdom?
Old 2008-05-21, 06:42   Link #184
cry
Berry Bunny

> 4tran your love for her is great
> tak yes i heard about her nationality; (i forgot about nations in macross universe? i'll ask for it in the proper thread)

i like her because she's .. da woman! i hope we can see more characters like that in anime!
for a girl like me, it's REALLY refreshing to see her, she's feminine, she's fun, she has confidence, she's her own chief, she has goals and she moves toward them.

i'm like in a war against anime girls like "childhood heroine where the otaku hero fall when he sees her cooking with an apron", or the ado who'll say "no i don't like you hentai baka" until the last episode (bad tsundere incarnations, i mean) things like that.

sheryl is totally what i wanted to see for years.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:41   Link #185
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Wouldn't worry about Sheryl cooking. Not that she wouldn't mind trying to just to see what its like, but seriously.... she's got people for that :P

I do like her cause she's playful but can be all business when she wants to. The heroine characters i really hate are the ones that start out awesomely tough but gradually turn into the house mom that's powerless. GRRRRR...

Really don't see that happening to Sheryl though POWER TO THE UNIVERSE!
Old 2008-05-22, 21:44   Link #186
SymphonicRain

A repost from the other thread since I think this place is far more appropriate to reflect my thoughts:

Quote:
I had been wondering and suspecting whether Sheryl actually liked to sing at all in the first place. Unlike Ranka, her path to stardom does not come naturally and I had been thinking if she was merely handpicked and trained/raised to become a songstress instead of wanting to become one. Similar to Alto who became a Kabuki and was successful but in truth, loved flying more than acting.

This itself was reflected in episode 5 when she quietly commented on Ranka's success in Fomo and her somber exchange with Alto behind the stage in episode 6 that hinted her youth.
Old 2008-05-22, 22:36   Link #187
ReddyRedWolf

Here's mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
Listen to my Songggggg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
Listen to my Songggggg
Exactly.

Which is why I am ever-hopeful that the Fire Valkyrie is going to fly out of nowhere sometime and start popping off Speaker Pods.
Which makes me wonder if Sheryl actually met the guy as a child.

Obviously she's not a copy cat like British Bomber or Fire Bomber American.

Like Alto she doesn't like being contained by colony.

Here comes a guy traveling the galaxy in his red valkyrie, singing to move mountains and the universe.

Sheryl likes to have freedom like that.

Imagine little Sheryl like Pedro emulating what she sees in thew Galaxy Network namely Nekki Basara.

Hence... LISTEN TO MY SONG!
Old 2008-05-22, 23:24   Link #188
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
A repost from the other thread since I think this place is far more appropriate to reflect my thoughts:
In episode 5 itself she also said that people sing or fly because they can't do otherwise.

It means that she sang because that's only thing she can and wanted to do.

She compared her passion for singing to Alto's passion for flying, she loved to sing from the start and worked hard for it.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-05-22, 23:57   Link #189
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I just rewatched episode 8, and I noticed that they really emphasize on Sheryl's remaining earring.

Maybe as the series progresses, when Alto and Sheryl get closer, he'll get her an earring to recomplete the set.
Old 2008-05-23, 07:04   Link #190
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I just rewatched episode 8, and I noticed that they really emphasize on Sheryl's remaining earring.

Maybe as the series progresses, when Alto and Sheryl get closer, he'll get her an earring to recomplete the set.
With the earrings being from her mother, I don't think they'll have quite the same value to her.

Unless the Alto x Sheryl pairing comes true, in which case she'd have one from her love and one from her mother, which would be nice.
Old 2008-05-23, 09:28   Link #191
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

So i hears that Sheryl is taking pilot classes now... one step closer to Basara.
Old 2008-05-23, 15:28   Link #192
Wesley84

Quote:
She wouldn't grab a giant pair of panties and scribble lyrics if she didn't enjoy singing/writing songs.
Old 2008-05-23, 20:09   Link #193
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Unlike Ranka, her path to stardom does not come naturally
Unless I missed something we don't actually know how her path to stardom went. Although going by her reaction on saying "on their own whim" the second time in episode 5 it may not have been an enjoyable experience even though she loves music.
Old 2008-05-24, 03:56   Link #194
ReddyRedWolf

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Mikhail.

Now he has not one but two mavericks in his Ex-gear squadron.

The Queen and the Princess. lol

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2008-05-24 at 04:13.
Old 2008-05-24, 06:41   Link #195
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

wedew sherly entering the squad oh god this story it's sound De Ja Vu. eheheh
Old 2008-05-28, 04:19   Link #196
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Hehe Sheryl the pilot!
Old 2008-05-28, 05:36   Link #197
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaWolf View Post
Hehe Sheryl the pilot!
I wouldn't mind that so long as she's S. Strain'd as soon as she's launched via the catapult.
Old 2008-05-28, 23:56   Link #198
herbert

Yeah, let's now hope Sheryl is a hybrid of Nomes and Jenius's, that would explain her passions in singing and piloting.
Old 2008-05-29, 10:16   Link #199
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm not sure she's developped a passion for piloting. I think she just figures flying in Ex-gear makes a great hobby. Who wouldn't?
Old 2008-05-29, 18:37   Link #200
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I wouldn't mind that so long as she's S. Strain'd as soon as she's launched via the catapult.
There would be amusement park rides with more G force than that catapult....
Closed Thread

Tags
characters