AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-25, 09:27   Link #21
larethian

^ hahahaha!

Anyway, watched this with wife yesterday after a family Christmas dinner. The premise was good but the movie was horrible. The problem to me was that I didn't feel a thing throughout the show. It was like an emotionless show. What they tried to capture, they failed. The seppuku scenes were all right, but can't really put a finger to it, I'm guessing the buildup for most supposedly good scenes were insufficient. Just my humble 2 cents.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-25, 21:41   Link #22
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It's one of those laughably fantasized Japan that resembles nothing of the sort.
It's definitely in the kinship of whacked Ninja Slayer type world view.

Also those vivid colors and clothing is a trait of Chinese culture, and Hong Kong cinematography.
Not Japanese feudal culture, which is usually portrayed far more plain, boring, and mundane.

The massive grassy plains and OMG BIG BUDDHA ROCK STATUE IN MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, massive stone statues overseeing the ocean - it's like the Lord of The Rin-I-meant-Chuushingura.

However, there's definitely a market for this in niche fan groups in Japan.
Ninja Slayer for example, is a cult hit for its completely inaccurate (unintentionally at start) and hilarious depiction of Japan, a common sight in American comic books in general, but even more extreme here. People quote lines from it all the time. It's sort of Japanese version of All Your Bases Belong To Us now.

We really aren't in any position to complain though, I mean Jesus, we turned KING ARTHUR into a babe, and even lets you screw her in the game.
And turned Oda Nubanga into a hottie, and the entire Romance of Three Kingdoms into a giant harem. Ah hum.

Anyway...wasn't there a retelling of Chuushingura with hello kitty? How did that work?
Old 2013-12-26, 00:20   Link #23
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
And turned Oda Nubanga into a hottie, and the entire Romance of Three Kingdoms into a giant harem. Ah hum.
Hey, to be honest, your cousins over in Taiwan would have done the RotK harem sooner or later if Japan didn't do it first!

Quote:
Anyway...wasn't there a retelling of Chuushingura with hello kitty? How did that work?
I've never heard of this, that sounds psychotically cool.
Old 2013-12-26, 04:03   Link #24
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Will never see it, and will only mock it when the inevitable nostalgia critic episode if it comes out.

How insulting is it to Asians compared to The white Aurbender?
Old 2013-12-26, 12:45   Link #25
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Hey, to be honest, your cousins over in Taiwan would have done the RotK harem sooner or later if Japan didn't do it first!

I've never heard of this, that sounds psychotically cool.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hello-Kitty-.../dp/B004MORB1G

Here is the hello kitty ronin. You know Japanese better than me, so you maybe you can search for the actual film itself if it exists. The Director for the 47 Ronin used the Hello Kitty 2006 adaption as a reason he thought Japanese wouldn't be offended with his half-white-bread insertion.
Old 2013-12-27, 12:59   Link #26
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post

Yea, that anime is a huge amazing anime. Mean while this movie is called garbage for what ever reason.

Remember, Nothing is more of a kick to the face to japan than Dragon Ball Evolution.

Old 2013-12-28, 21:27   Link #27
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Just got back from seeing it... and while I'm familiar with the story, maybe its because I'm not super-familiar with it that I can say I honestly enjoyed it (plus the fact that this is the first actual adaptation of the story that I've personally ever seen). I think the biggest problem this movie had was simply the fact that it was being marketed towards the wrong audience, and if you're not familiar with the story, the ending will get you. In fact, the ending still got to me a little bit, but because I'm seen just enough Asian dramas and am familiar with the story, I was able to handle it (I even heard one girl say the ending was horrible).

Spoiler for Just in case you're not familiar with the original story:

Granted, the mysticism that was put in probably wasn't there in the original story, but in my personal opinion, I thought that this was a good movie, and did the legend relative justice... you just have to be familiar with the legend in the first place (something most Americans aren't)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 22:49   Link #28
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy