AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2021-09-07, 12:32   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Class isekai where the ostracized MC stays nice

I've seen a number of Isekai series lately where an entire class gets summoned, at which point the hero is ostracized. Either he was always disliked, or his powers are deemed useless, or alternatively deemed "dangerous", and seemingly everyone treats him like trash. In every single one I can think of, this results in the hero either being kicked our or leaving of his own accord, then using the persecution as a trigger to start hating everyone and become a heartless bastard who doesn't care who he victimizes. I was wondering then, are there any where you have that start with the class summoned and reasons developed for "everyone" to hate and maybe fear/distrust him, but he doesn't leave or turn hateful, instead choosing to remain a good guy and try to eventually convince at least some of them that he's not useless/dangerous? Seems like a more interesting story to me than "they hate me so I'll kill/enslave/violate them all".

Needless to say, manga and LN are welcome.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-07, 13:18   Link #2
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

For a loose definition of class, Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru sou desu yo?
Old 2021-09-08, 01:36   Link #3
Lex79

Probably not 100% what you are looking for, but in My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!
Spoiler for beginning of the story:
Old 2021-09-08, 19:19   Link #4
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
For a loose definition of class, Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru sou desu yo?
Sorry, but no. Not because we're not dealing with a class getting summoned (though that's part of it), but more importantly none of these characters are outcasts in the new world. Sure, they choose to side with a community of outcasts, but still they themselves are not derided or persecuted or ostracized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Probably not 100% what you are looking for, but in My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!
Spoiler for beginning of the story:
Actually I myself thought that was possibly the closest I've actually seen to this. And yeah he doesn't hold any grudge after the others abandon them. Honestly he doesn't seem to care that much about any of them (which makes sense since he's basically a god in human form).
Old 2021-09-09, 05:38   Link #5
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

I guess it depends on what you want from an outcast. Izayoi is pretty much an outcast because of his strength, he just doesn't get all emo about it and continues to do whatever he wants and thus slowly gains the trust of the others.

In that sense, being an outcast is part attitude.
It's hard to ostracize someone with a good attitude without looking irrational. And irrational characters are a sign of bad writing. Like Tate no Yuusha, where everyone except for the protagonist and his friends is a certified moron. The other side of that is how do you expect anyone to stay nice, when surrounded by actual idiots that negatively impact your life?

I don't know any isekai where a whole class was summoned, but another spin on the ostracized part is Strange Dawn, where the two classmates are both feared and worshipped by everyone in the new world. The inhabitants simulatenously try to get on their good side while also plotting to use or kill them, but the two girls just kind of don't care too much and only want to go home.

In general, older isekai shows have this whole protagonist gets rejected by the new world theme going on.
Old 2021-09-10, 21:02   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
I guess it depends on what you want from an outcast. Izayoi is pretty much an outcast because of his strength, he just doesn't get all emo about it and continues to do whatever he wants and thus slowly gains the trust of the others.

In that sense, being an outcast is part attitude.
It's hard to ostracize someone with a good attitude without looking irrational. And irrational characters are a sign of bad writing. Like Tate no Yuusha, where everyone except for the protagonist and his friends is a certified moron. The other side of that is how do you expect anyone to stay nice, when surrounded by actual idiots that negatively impact your life?

I don't know any isekai where a whole class was summoned, but another spin on the ostracized part is Strange Dawn, where the two classmates are both feared and worshipped by everyone in the new world. The inhabitants simulatenously try to get on their good side while also plotting to use or kill them, but the two girls just kind of don't care too much and only want to go home.

In general, older isekai shows have this whole protagonist gets rejected by the new world theme going on.
Again, not really. Sure, Izayoi was an outcast in his original world. But in the new world, the three other summons are close to him, the no-names look up to him, and in general he's quite welcomed.

Then again, the very fact that you consider Shield Hero bad writing tells me we're not going to agree on a variety of things. It's no masterpiece, but I wouldn't ever call it bad. Guess it's just a matter of perspective. At the least, I'm going to have to call BS on the claim that people don't ostracize nice people. It might not be right to do so, but it happens all too often, even in real life. Especially if there's some kind of excuse to be found for it. Maybe the guy's not quite as attractive; maybe he's not as strong as others, or too strong, or he has an ability that could be used in a very wicked way. And yes, there are a growing number of isekai series now where a whole class is summoned.

There are multiple works out there where the "hero" becomes a bastard who hates everyone when he's ostracized, but there's two in particular that made me think of this. First, a borderline H work called "Class Teni de Ore Dake Haburaretara, Doukyuu Harem Tsukuru Koto ni Shita". In this one, a hero summon is cast summoning the entire class, each of whom receives a unique skill. The "hero" is revealed to have a skill that allows him to make any female of any species become overwhelmed with "love" for him, making them unable to disobey him. The self-appointed "leader" of the class immediately forces him to leave because he's deemed too dangerous to leave around the girls. No one stands up to defend him and ultimately he's driven out, bitterly thinking of the ways he could've been an invaluable party member, forcing enemies to become allies and turn on the remainder of the enemy force or even going Pokemon and collecting some powerful monsters. But he decides that since everyone wanted him to leave, and he's seen some indications that the kingdom itself may have deemed him a threat, he decided to claim every single girl in the class and have them help defend him from the guys. This in particular is one where I would've loved to see the guy somehow force people to let him stay. Given that power, fear and suspicion won't disappear easily. Just getting close to a classmate that happens to be a girl would be enough for many men to blow up. But to see him actually try, commit to not using his power on humans and just try to be a good ally, would be much more interesting to me than this whole "you kicked me out in fear I'd enslave all the girls, so I'll just do exactly that".

There's another with a name I unfortunately can't remember. In it, a goddess summons an entire class to fight for her world, but then declares that one single person is "trash" due to him having what she deems "weak" powers. Since she feels he's too weak to be of use she says she's going to "dispose" of him, and pretty much every classmate that's willing to talk agrees with this, aside from the class rep, who gets knocked out for talking back to the goddess. He gets thrown into a sort of "Extra post-credit quest" level dungeon to guarantee his death, but finds that his "weak" skills are actually quite useful (he's able to cast poison, paralyze and sleep, and unlike the normal spells they're guaranteed to work on those that aren't immune). He struggles desperately to make it out, burning with resentment toward his classmates and a desperate desire to murder the goddess.

I don't care if the hero is so strong that people are afraid of him, so weak people think he'll be useless, or has some sort of ability that people find a unique sort of threat; all of these are motivations for people to fear or dismiss the hero and ignore him. I just want to see someone who's persecuted like that who still remains a proper ally instead of the typical collapse into cynicism and hate.