AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 4 8.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 15.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 8.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 28.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 17.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 8.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 4.44%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-24, 03:39   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 17 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hanasaku Iroha, Episode 17.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:56   Link #2
Midonin
Last Engage

HSI 17 - Somewhere in Time

Jiromaru, getting a script done is a noteworthy achievement. But getting it done on time is another thing. (I wouldn't mind reading it, though. There's gotta be some interesting and sexy concepts in there.)

Authorship issues aside, it figures that the director and the movie were a scam. But, ultimately, things are still looking up. Enishi's become somewhat more self-confident, Kissuiso has a pool, and even Yuina was able to show the others that she still got some fun experiences out of it. They may have lost money, but they can get it back together. Minko's "really?" expression during the pool scene was great as well.

Nako episode next week - yay!
Old 2011-07-24, 10:14   Link #3
Peanutbutter

What a boring arc.

Next!
Old 2011-07-24, 10:35   Link #4
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Not quite sure what to make of the slapping scene.

I mean, for starters, violence within a couple (or potential couple) doesn't strike me as a good idea.

On the other, it did reaffirm Enishi's feelings for her (because of his fetish for violent women?)

It does seem like she's got a thing for his pathetic side too. So, hm, good news?
Old 2011-07-24, 11:16   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

My face during the pool scene, and most Enishi scenes, really. In the end, I'm sad to say this arc didn't improve my impression of Enishi one bit. We were right to feel something was off about this whole business, I didn't think it'd be a complete scam though. You'd think they would have researched that guy's background (like Satsuki did) before giving him all their money. I hope we'll see how they'll solve this crisis and that it won't be completely forgotten by next week.

In the meantime, I shall enjoy my Nakochi. The Nakochi episodes I've been longing for are finally here! Awwwwww yeah! I can't wait to see her interact with her silblings (which as it turns out aren't all boys unless one of them is incredibly girly).

Mermaid Nako is love
Old 2011-07-24, 11:23   Link #6
EroKing

lol @ this face

Vibrating loli boobies, they so good I dedicate this gif to Pellissier

Old 2011-07-24, 11:32   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
That face was pure win.

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure about this episode either. If Satsuki suspected something wrong then I don't see why she didn't voice her concerns with Enishi before it happened. Frankly, her phoning him after the whole scam was brought to light makes it a bit of a piss-take to be honest.

And then there was that whole slapping and swimming scene. At first I thought Enishi would man up a bit after talking to Satsuki but he just went back to being completely pathetic.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:45   Link #8
Shadow5YA

Man, poor Enishi can't do anything on his own. They're really rubbing in the fact that Satsuki is better suited to running the in than Enishi.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:46   Link #9
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That face was pure win.

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure about this episode either. If Satsuki suspected something wrong then I don't see why she didn't voice her concerns with Enishi before it happened. Frankly, her phoning him after the whole scam was brought to light makes it a bit of a piss-take to be honest.
It's implied she tried. That phone call that went unanswered? Probably her. And she tried to warn her mother, who refused to even pass on the message.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:10   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

The Enishi/Takako antics were amusing to me in and of themselves, but it was Minko and Tomoe's facial expressions while watching them that really made me crack up. Actually, this episode seemed to really make a point of having Tomoe make "not again" expressions whenever Enishi was either around or being discussed. Makes me wonder if Okada predicted people like me would predict an Enishi/Tomoe end and is therefore trolling, as the episode itself seems to clearly favour Enishi/Takako.

Ohana and Yuina holding a casual discussion while covered in stage blood was great too, though I worry about their clothes.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:13   Link #11
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Poor Enishi. Even in his character highlighting episode he gets his shit slapped up!

And Takako realizes how stupid the random engrish is.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:17   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to be honest, I didn't like this episode much.

What's the point of trying to make Enishi and Takako more likable in Episode 16, if you're just going to totally tear them back down and make them look like hopelessly inept losers in Episode 17?

Are we supposed to feel sorry for them? Are we supposed to laugh at their patheticness?

For me, it's like Jiromaru's suicide attempt in Episode 3 all over again, where I don't know if we're meant to pity or laugh at the down-and-out adult character(s), and I'm not really feeling either because of that split mood.

I also have to be frank - plot-wise, Hanasaku has been spinning its wheels since the end of the superb Satsuki/Ko arc.

The visuals are very nice. Some individual scenes are great (this episode started on a great note, at least, with that movie scene). Some entire episodes are pretty enjoyable. But I feel like this anime is lacking good overall direction, and it's not really doing much of anything to flesh out its world, or make its supporting cast any more likable. Minko has improved considerably since the first few episodes, but other than that...

Man, I have to be honest. I'd sooooooo take a True Tears-style Ko/Ohana/Tooru love triangle over this. I really would.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:36   Link #13
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow Enishi got scammed and then slapped by Takako. Lol he liked her even more after that. Nice to see Sui finally let him call her mom.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:37   Link #14
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
lol it was a scam. Knew something like this would happen. I think Enishi will make a movie himself, as we see Nako is being a mermaid next episode.
Old 2011-07-24, 14:02   Link #15
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The visuals are very nice. Some individual scenes are great (this episode started on a great note, at least, with that movie scene). Some entire episodes are pretty enjoyable. But I feel like this anime is lacking good overall direction, and it's not really doing much of anything to flesh out its world, or make its supporting cast any more likable. Minko has improved considerably since the first few episodes, but other than that...
I cannot shake my impression that Okada is laying a ton of little threads that will come into play in the final arc, but it purposely obfuscating her true purpose in the process to keep the audience on their toes.

Personally, I'm thinking that the succession itself is going to be the core plot of the final arc. And I can't help but notice that the current frontrunner just lost the inn a lot of money when finances already weren't too hot (judging by what we've learned previously). The episode also seems to hint he very well may hook up with a woman whose advice has been disastrous for him, despite the presence of potentially much more sensible candidate (maybe Tomoe's "How many times are you going to go through this?" looks are meant to emphasize this rather than just to troll shippers?).

From what I've seen, most episodes and mini-arcs in this series only partially conclude the plot threads they introduced. I don't think that's an accident.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-07-24, 14:50   Link #16
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

I want an avatar of Minchi's epic face. Granted I probably actually won't use it that much but still... I want one.
Old 2011-07-24, 15:52   Link #17
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

While you were all looking at Minchi's face I was busy elsewhere~

Spoiler for PURPLE!:

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-07-24, 16:31   Link #18
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Glad this arc is over. It looked like Enishi grew up a little, and Takako was a little more tolerable, since it actually looked like she cared, but generally, I don't care about these two chars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
While you were all looking at Minchi's face I was busy elsewhere~
Not surprising, coming from you . I was impressed with how big they looked. Gave me an impression she's wearing a tight one =03.
Old 2011-07-24, 16:37   Link #19
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This was basically my reaction to the episode; I was already hoping it was over by the 12 minute mark.

I mean, centering an episode on 2 of the worst characters of the anime certainly isn't going to help. Do we really need reinforcement that this anime obviously views men in a terrible light. So Einshi has a complex about her sister being better and stuff, it didn't work in Ore no Imouto, and it's not gonna work here with so little build up.

So apparently he's an M too. Ok... do we get at least a lesson of the weak. Oh no, he doesn't seem to learn anything, he doesn't even think about "Hey maybe I shouldn't have done that", he just thinks he didn't do anything wrong and they're hilariously hanging above the pool. Meanwhile grandma learns that if you're gonna put faith in your loved ones, you're obviously dead wrong. What?

Now there might have been good things about the episode, such as those shots of Yuina's ass and that very last scene at the end, but good anime that does not make. Especially when the ass is connected to someone I don't care about. It's definitely below par for a Hana Saku episode, and I award it a 1/10, for being the worst episode this anime has produced. (Note my ratings are relative to the series, worst hana saku episode does not mean worst episode evar) From an objective point of view, it should probably be a 5-6, but these ratings reflect enjoyment. Episode 3 was stupid but at least it wasn't insulting. It's also a waste of precious time of which this anime has no use for; so at this point the standards should be raised. Did I laugh? Yes, for being bad.

It's pretty evident that PA works has absolutely no idea on how to pace an anime since True Tears and the misandry in this is just not funny anymore.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-24, 17:12   Link #20
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

True Tears had shitty pacing too though.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Closed Thread