AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2012-08-04, 14:03   Link #8881
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He did tell her he only liked 2D girls. (That's the other other way.)
And they all happen to be 2D characters, meaning Hayate loves all of them!

Funny how harem leads work, huh?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 23:24   Link #8882
JPblueser
Guitarded

I've just read chapter 373 and...

*Rubs eyes*

Spoiler for ch. 373:
Old 2012-08-04, 23:32   Link #8883
JPblueser
Guitarded

And also...

Spoiler for ch. 373:
Old 2012-08-04, 23:43   Link #8884
Seitsuki
Onee!

It was glorious. Don't deny it.

*21 gun salute*
Old 2012-08-04, 23:58   Link #8885
HasuMasu
*Artist

What, I don't remember any of those scenes!

The difference in popularity.
Old 2012-08-05, 00:02   Link #8886
mitsuganae

New development my foot.

Still, it may mean that the manga is popular enough that the powers-that-be feel that they can get away with such substance-free fluff.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2012-08-05 at 00:20.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 00:04   Link #8887
JPblueser
Guitarded

I really hope it's not a "new development" in the series' style then!! Heh

And I seriously hope that it's not a preview of what we will be seeing in the new anime either... *faints*
Old 2012-08-05, 00:19   Link #8888
mitsuganae

BTW, how in the name of god do these chapters hit the net before the official release date? Is it an inside job?
Old 2012-08-05, 00:20   Link #8889
Sumeragi
Banned

Mainly because usually manga magazines are released before their printed official release date.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 00:27   Link #8890
mitsuganae

I see. Many thanks.
Old 2012-08-05, 02:38   Link #8891
Used Can

Has the manga ever been this meta before? The talk about popularity and panty shots was rather metaish.

Anyhow, for some reason, I felt like reading some of the first chapters, and boy, this manga sure has changed in many ways.
Old 2012-08-05, 04:12   Link #8892
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Has the manga ever been this meta before? The talk about popularity and panty shots was rather metaish.
There was some instances recently when Nagi was making her doujin and her talking about popularity and the reception on 2ch and what not being what's important vs. Luka (or was it Hina? it's all a blur now, that wasn't that interesting of a period in this manga's run outside for this point) saying that it's more important to bring out a quality product first and foremost.

There were some meta-jokes all around as well, but not as heavy as now.

Quote:
Anyhow, for some reason, I felt like reading some of the first chapters, and boy, this manga sure has changed in many ways.
I've opened up the first volume, and yeah ... wow, how different had this manga ended up becoming now.

It's really amazing. Even though it's still a gag manga, the humor is all together different, the situation is different, the cast is reacting in a similar but still different manner ...

And oh yeah, the art style ...

I guess it was the anime as well as the times that made Hata change his style.
Old 2012-08-05, 05:02   Link #8893
Sol Falling

I dropped this series about 20 chapters in or so the first time. Only happened to check it out due to Hata's connection with Kumeta of Zetsubou Sensei. So yeah, in general I don't actually particularly like the beginning of this series and am pretty happy with the way it has changed presently. Or, well, specifically I think the elements which turned me off in the beginning were Tama and Klaus.

Pretty glad I decided to give it a second chance and burn through the early chapters some years later though. To this day I remain impressed with the weave of thematics, character development, action, and humour which was the Golden Week arc.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 08:09   Link #8894
madmac

Quote:
I guess it was the anime as well as the times that made Hata change his style.
Actually, the anime is an interesting point. Hata mentions in his volume notes that while it was running he was basically stalling things out and throwing in lots of random shipping to keep the manga from being too different. You can look back at the year the first season was running and it's pretty much "The High School Year" with tons and tons of filler. There's some good bits, at least.

After it ended is when he jumped into setting up the whole Eotw/Golden Week thing which you have to realize at the time he was super nervous about how it would be received.

Anyways, I actually liked the way the manga started out and the way it is now, even though they're different. It's some of the middle periods (Again, all Hakou all the time.) that I think are the weakest.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 14:46   Link #8895
mitsuganae

While I'm at it, I suppose I should point out that Hata passed by another chance to flesh out Riza (with her birthday and all). Yes, she's just one of the three imbeciles, and yes she doesn't warrant something like the surprise party for the hamster. But I still feel she's not as fleshed out as her choirmates Miki and Izumi. Ah well ...
Old 2012-08-05, 23:37   Link #8896
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Pretty glad I decided to give it a second chance and burn through the early chapters some years later though. To this day I remain impressed with the weave of thematics, character development, action, and humour which was the Golden Week arc.
I think most people were rather surprised that Hata decided to throw actual plot (and rather good for this manga's standards) when this has been a gag manga all the way through.

Personally, in some respects I've liked some changes whilst I don't like others. For one, I've been vocal in my dislike of Nagi, and I like it better now that the manga isn't as centric on her as it used to be in the earlier chapters. Though she remains the female lead, I like how she's been developed as more of a little sister/daughter and I hope that remains that way. On the other hand, I haven't liked the change in art-style, the ever increasing cast (though I'm fine with Athena, Ruka and Yozora as they've actually contributed to the story), and that Maria has been reduced to a gag-character when she used to be great in the earlier chapters. In fact, I think that plot-wise this manga would have been a lot better without a harem and a distinct love interest that got developed throughout the story. Back in the day, I thought Maria was the perfect candidate given her role in the story. But as things have turned out, I really don't hold that opinion any longer.

Anyhow, I hope Hata will be going back to the plot soon, since I think the recent SoL and comedy has been rather stagnant. Some spice would be great to spark my interest again.
Old 2012-08-06, 02:58   Link #8897
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
While I'm at it, I suppose I should point out that Hata passed by another chance to flesh out Riza (with her birthday and all). Yes, she's just one of the three imbeciles, and yes she doesn't warrant something like the surprise party for the hamster. But I still feel she's not as fleshed out as her choirmates Miki and Izumi. Ah well ...
To be fair, they did actually lampshade this in the chapter. Risa gets no attention as she's not popular in the character polls. Izumi is. (Miki is also not that popular, but she has yuri cred.)
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 08:30   Link #8898
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Seeing Izumi lift up her own skirt like that... For those of you who have watch [Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou], I'm getting the same feeling of guilt of those guys...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 01:15   Link #8899
Chandalen

Quote:
I think most people were rather surprised that Hata decided to throw actual plot (and rather good for this manga's standards) when this has been a gag manga all the way through.

Personally, in some respects I've liked some changes whilst I don't like others. For one, I've been vocal in my dislike of Nagi, and I like it better now that the manga isn't as centric on her as it used to be in the earlier chapters. Though she remains the female lead, I like how she's been developed as more of a little sister/daughter and I hope that remains that way. On the other hand, I haven't liked the change in art-style, the ever increasing cast (though I'm fine with Athena, Ruka and Yozora as they've actually contributed to the story), and that Maria has been reduced to a gag-character when she used to be great in the earlier chapters. In fact, I think that plot-wise this manga would have been a lot better without a harem and a distinct love interest that got developed throughout the story. Back in the day, I thought Maria was the perfect candidate given her role in the story. But as things have turned out, I really don't hold that opinion any longer.

Anyhow, I hope Hata will be going back to the plot soon, since I think the recent SoL and comedy has been rather stagnant. Some spice would be great to spark my interest again.
/me high fives used can

I feel pretty much the same way, especially the bits with Nagi and Maria. I have slightly different thoughts on the harem/cast size, but wording it properly is beyond my time frame for writing a post, but to sum it up, both got way out of control.
Chandalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 09:47   Link #8900
Eleutheria
旅行癖

373 was great. A total service chapter without actual service.

Tags
comedy, shounen