AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-14, 11:11   Link #241
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Same. I'm planning to go xD.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:38   Link #242
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Well, if anyone can put up with my madness running around trying to get everything in sight, I'd be totally down for meeting up with anyone. xD
Old 2012-04-15, 19:44   Link #243
Eater of All
NOM

Going to AX this year! I'll be going every year until either AX moves out of LACC or until I and everyone in California die in a great earthquake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Let's say I decide on the guests that I want to see/get autographs from. What is a good way to organize time so I can get to them all?
Depending on the guest, you may have to go really early and camp the autograph table. Also, always go to their panels, as they might give preferred autograph tickets there and/or announce autograph session times.

Quote:
Speaking of autographs, should I purchase merch related to the guests at the expo beforehand if I don't own specific to stuff they've done?
I believe the AX Staff does not allow merchandise unrelated to the guest to be brought up for signing. If it's a musical guest, it should be easy to find places in the exhibition hall where CDs are sold. If not, autograph boards can be bought for $2 or $3.

Quote:
And speaking of merch, I'm of the impression that there's even ridiculous lines for tables. Is there are good way to know which booths to visit for certain items?
Lines for merchandise in booths? I don't think I've seen any before, but then, I'm never part of the rush for the Exhibit Hall's initial opening. Certainly things that are being sold often disappear if you return later in the day.

Quote:
I'll attend all 4 days. What's the best way to organize time efficiently to see everything?
In general, always ask around and keep your ears open for up-to-date information. Changes in Anime Expo happen fast; unannounced autograph sessions are randomly held or cancelled, guests sometimes leave before Day 4, mini-concerts or events periodically spring up in certain booths, unofficial guests of honors (such as Minami Kuribayashi in 2010) might be invited by exhibitors like MangaGamer, panels get delayed, lines spontaneously form for xxx in yyy... the developments are endless.

And due to the sheer volume of things-to-do in AX, it's not possible to see everything. How you organize your schedule depends on your interest... you might be lucky and get no conflicts, or you might not be. In general, if it's a popular panel or autograph session, expect to arrive 45-60 minutes early (last year, the Kalafina line began forming 50 minutes early... I happened to be waiting in a nearby line for something else, so I jumped ship right to it).

I hope I'm not scaring you by telling you all this. In the end, running around seeing as much as possible is merely one way to enjoy AX. Many people go there just to hang out, relax, or meet forumers / bloggers.
Old 2012-04-15, 21:16   Link #244
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Going to AX this year! I'll be going every year until either AX moves out of LACC or until I and everyone in California die in a great earthquake.
Well now, ain't that quite a lovely bit of info? I thank you.

Quote:
Depending on the guest, you may have to go really early and camp the autograph table. Also, always go to their panels, as they might give preferred autograph tickets there and/or announce autograph session times.
I'm sure I'll be wanting the autographs of some of the most popular people, so I suppose I'll have to mix and match. Would totally attend the panels of these people nonetheless, so it's good to hear when stuff is set to happen. Now watch me get lost in the convention and then not get anywhere. xD

Quote:
I believe the AX Staff does not allow merchandise unrelated to the guest to be brought up for signing. If it's a musical guest, it should be easy to find places in the exhibition hall where CDs are sold. If not, autograph boards can be bought for $2 or $3.
Ah okay, thanks for that info. Regarding this then, how late does AX usually update their information on their guest list? I'd probably end up spending a bit of time on Day 1 looking for merch related to the guests I want autographs from, so it'd be good to know who's going ahead of time. Right now though, they've seemed to only have announced two, with the con only about 2 and a half months away. Either way, say I had a related item and an autograph board, can you get both signed?

Quote:
Lines for merchandise in booths? I don't think I've seen any before, but then, I'm never part of the rush for the Exhibit Hall's initial opening. Certainly things that are being sold often disappear if you return later in the day.
Ah, is that so? Considering that markets and any other events concerning booths is usually somewhat crowded, I guess I assumed it would be here. Guess that's just a "get there and see" thing. Either way, I'll definitely go around buying the merch I definitely want on the first day.

Quote:
In general, always ask around and keep your ears open for up-to-date information. Changes in Anime Expo happen fast; unannounced autograph sessions are randomly held or cancelled, guests sometimes leave before Day 4, mini-concerts or events periodically spring up in certain booths, unofficial guests of honors (such as Minami Kuribayashi in 2010) might be invited by exhibitors like MangaGamer, panels get delayed, lines spontaneously form for xxx in yyy... the developments are endless.
Wow, sounds pretty hectic, but that's just like a Japan-related convention so I'll take it as part of the experience. I guess I'll just bring everything anime-related along since I don't have that much. Guess I'll have more to look forward to on top of the announced stuff.

Quote:
And due to the sheer volume of things-to-do in AX, it's not possible to see everything. How you organize your schedule depends on your interest... you might be lucky and get no conflicts, or you might not be. In general, if it's a popular panel or autograph session, expect to arrive 45-60 minutes early (last year, the Kalafina line began forming 50 minutes early... I happened to be waiting in a nearby line for something else, so I jumped ship right to it).

I hope I'm not scaring you by telling you all this. In the end, running around seeing as much as possible is merely one way to enjoy AX. Many people go there just to hang out, relax, or meet forumers / bloggers.
All I wish for is to not leave behind something that I'll regret for like...ever. I unfortunately don't live so close to California, so flying down this year is kind of a special event in itself. As long as I leave with some cool stuff I can't find around here along with meeting up with everything I want to, then I'll be happy nonetheless.

I don't exactly need to run around like a crazed, uncontrollable dog for all 4 days; I'm assuming if I don't need to meet with that many guests and buy enough merch to embarrass my family, I'll have enough time for most of it. Meeting people and hanging out sounds quite good, after all.

But seriously, watch me embarrass myself in some way. It'll be a good laugh. xD
Old 2012-04-16, 17:03   Link #245
Kyuu
=^^=

Hey AX people. Do me one favor: see if there are any Japanese mahjong people out there?

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 18:34   Link #246
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I hope to be in AX as a staff guy XD.
Old 2012-04-16, 19:26   Link #247
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Ah okay, thanks for that info. Regarding this then, how late does AX usually update their information on their guest list? I'd probably end up spending a bit of time on Day 1 looking for merch related to the guests I want autographs from, so it'd be good to know who's going ahead of time. Right now though, they've seemed to only have announced two, with the con only about 2 and a half months away.
Last year, most of the guests were announced during June, though some higher-profile ones were announced earlier in May. AX really takes their sweet time making these announcements.

Quote:
Either way, say I had a related item and an autograph board, can you get both signed?
I believe only one item can be signed. It ultimately depends on how generous the guest is though; some don't even allow taking pictures during the autograph session.

Quote:
All I wish for is to not leave behind something that I'll regret for like...ever. I unfortunately don't live so close to California, so flying down this year is kind of a special event in itself. As long as I leave with some cool stuff I can't find around here along with meeting up with everything I want to, then I'll be happy nonetheless.

I don't exactly need to run around like a crazed, uncontrollable dog for all 4 days; I'm assuming if I don't need to meet with that many guests and buy enough merch to embarrass my family, I'll have enough time for most of it. Meeting people and hanging out sounds quite good, after all.

But seriously, watch me embarrass myself in some way. It'll be a good laugh. xD
That's true, it really feels awesome to get an autograph, or at least see up close the famous anime industry people that I've heard of all the time.

As for regret, don't even get me started on my failure to get KitaEri and Hocchan's autographs....
Old 2012-04-16, 21:00   Link #248
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hey AX people. Do me one favor: see if there are any Japanese mahjong people out there?

Haha, I'd lose pretty badly but I'd still play. Hell, I'd probably even forget some of the little rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Last year, most of the guests were announced during June, though some higher-profile ones were announced earlier in May. AX really takes their sweet time making these announcements.
I see, so I'm gonna be punching the wall over and over wondering who will show up this year. xD

Quote:
I believe only one item can be signed. It ultimately depends on how generous the guest is though; some don't even allow taking pictures during the autograph session.
Ah okay, then screw the autograph board, I'm getting an official thing signed! I guess I should bring a camera just in case too.

Quote:
That's true, it really feels awesome to get an autograph, or at least see up close the famous anime industry people that I've heard of all the time.

As for regret, don't even get me started on my failure to get KitaEri and Hocchan's autographs....
WHAAAAT?! Without fail, I would have killed everyone in the line to see Yui Horie at the very least (y'know, cause showing up covered in blood is a good idea). But yeah, the whole experience sounds really neat at the very least.

Like I said, for anyone that wants to hang while at the expo, I'll be around all four days.
Old 2012-04-16, 21:59   Link #249
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I'll try to staff at anime expo.
Old 2012-05-09, 01:15   Link #250
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Danny Choo as Master of Ceremonies. Epic.
Old 2012-05-09, 14:02   Link #251
terrence9

I also want to go!
terrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 22:08   Link #252
broken270
Defying gravity

I have a 50% chance of going. A staff acquaintance is offering a free ticket to me, and a friend who lives near the Expo is willing to have me stay at her place. All I need is a plane ticket, which is the most difficult part as my parents are a bit overprotective of me leaving from New York to somewhere far away like LA. It is going to be tough to get their permission, but I am willing to do whatever it takes, for it may be my first time and possibly only time I will get to go to California until I find myself a paying job. I would really like to meet up with you guys in real life. I think that would be fun.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 22:15   Link #253
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken270 View Post
I have a 50% chance of going. A staff acquaintance is offering a free ticket to me, and a friend who lives near the Expo is willing to have me stay at her place. All I need is a plane ticket, which is the most difficult part as my parents are a bit overprotective of me leaving from New York to somewhere far away like LA. It is going to be tough to get their permission, but I am willing to do whatever it takes, for it may be my first time and possibly only time I will get to go to California until I find myself a paying job. I would really like to meet up with you guys in real life. I think that would be fun.
Wishing you the best in that endeavour then. It'd totally be cool to meet up, indeed. I'm coming down from Canada so we're in similar boats.

Oh yeah, and their new guest of honour is Animetal USA. Not the best announcement for me since I'm gonna be attending LiSA's concert and I'm not sure if I'm gonna be up for another, especially for someone I'm not exactly familiar with. Still, sounds pretty cool.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:37   Link #254
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Well how about that, FictionJunction is coming this year too.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:53   Link #255
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Well, I just grabbed a front row seat for the LiSA concert. Dunno who's still going, but I'll see you all there hopefully on Day 1. Maybe even on Day 0. xD
Old 2012-06-15, 03:38   Link #256
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Egoraptor's got a panel at AX. This just got a lot more epic.
Old 2012-06-17, 05:56   Link #257
Sagi

I was planning to go tho Anime expo this year but something came up. I got a new Job and I don't feel comfortable asking for a day off which is friday the first day that anime expo starts.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 01:27   Link #258
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I'll also be going to AX this year for the first time (and first anime convention overall as well), and am pretty excited. I'd love to meet up with any AnimeSuki ppl who are interested, as I'm also meeting up with some ISML and blog pals. PM me!

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 13:13   Link #259
Raifuru

I will be attending for the first time this year and as long as nothing goes wrong in the upcoming days, I'll be there.
Raifuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 17:09   Link #260
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I say we make a time on Day 0 to meet up in the rare case we're not sick of each other right away and would want to go about the expo together.

Y'know, since people will be lining up to get badges anyways. I will, at least.

Tags
conventions