AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-17, 22:46   Link #101
Jze0
Hmmm...

Quite a few good light novel recommedations. I checked out C^3 and read the first chapter on B-T. I like it so far but it seems that they haven't updated in a while,. I hope they don't drop it since I think it has potential to being pretty good. The other series that I'm kind of interested in is Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. This looks pretty good too and hopefully a translation will appear in the future.
Jze0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 00:31   Link #102
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Ryuou:

Ahhh....I see...let me rephrase then what my "synopsis" was that I said something like couldn't be found anywhere.

I am still just a basic translator, meaning I can't translate without the use of ways to identify the meaning of most kanji, and double grammer points here and there. Because of this, it would take me alot longer than one day to read the novels I put out the synopsis for . So what I do, is I'll go to the JP Wikipedia, Amazon.co.jp, and the Publisher's site, and read the synopsis/reviews there, and choose the one I think seems to express the most about the story, and make that the one I use to translate with.

I don't actually read the novel first, then write my own synopsis. That would take me forever at my current Japanese skill level, lol ^_^. So I just get around 1 novel/synopsis per day chosen, and translate that.

I hope that helps clear up any misconceptions of my site ^_^
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 05:42   Link #103
apr
Pedestrian

About a year ago I was looking for new light novels to try, and I found a 2ch thread where people got to list their top 10 series. I used it to buy the first 2-3 volumes of whatever seemed interesting, and now I'm stuck with 27 separate series in my bookshelf. Here's the list in case someone else finds it useful:

Code:
Light Novel Individual Top 10

01. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuu-utsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) [137 votes]
02. Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) [107]
03. Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu [104]
04. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora [100]
05. Full Metal Panic [94]
06. Shakugan no Shana [93]
07. Zaregoto series [70]
08. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Legend of the Galactic Heroes) [67]
    Zero no Tsukaima (The Familiar of Zero) [67]
10. Slayers [61]
11. Boogiepop series [60]
12. Majutsushi Orphen [56]
13. Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms) [50]
    To Aru Majutsu no Index [50]
15. Gakkou wo Deyou [48]
16. Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice & Wolf) [47]
17. Neko no Chikyuugi [45]
    Lodoss-tou Senki (Record of Lodoss War) [45]
19. Owari no Chronicle [44]
20. Toradora! [42]
21. Allison + Lillia & Treize [41]
    Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru [41]
    Watashi-tachi no Tamura-kun [41]
24. Baccano [37]
25. Kara no Kyoukai [34]
    Bungaku Shoujo [34]
    Mushiuta [34]
28. Satougashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai [30]
29. Daburuburiddo [29]
    Denpateki na Kanojo [29]
    9S [29]
    Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan [29]
    Maria-sama ga Miteru [29]
34. Akuma no Mikata [27]
    E.G. Combat [27]
    Shinigami no Ballad (Ballad of a Shinigami) [27]
37. Delfinia Senki [26]
38. Ginban Kaleidoscope [25]
39. D Crackers [24]
40. Seikai series (Crest/Banner of the Stars) [23]
    Bakemonogatari [23]
    missing [23]
43. Sora no Kane no Hibiku Hoshi de [21]
    Mardock Scramble [21]
45. Wizard's Brain [19]
    Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu [19]
    River's End [19]
48. Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan) [18]
    Gosick [18]
    Tamago Ouji Kairuroddo no Kunan [18]
    Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu [18]
    Ragnarok [18]

Source: http://love6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/magazin/1009303432/
If you want the titles in Japanese they're on this webpage.

I haven't even been able to sample them all yet (just finished Toradora, starting on 9S), but I can recommend something not on the list: Time Leap by Takahata Kyouichirou, a short 2 volume story about a high school girl who finds herself bouncing back and forth in time mentally.

Last edited by apr; 2009-03-18 at 06:01.
apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 09:24   Link #104
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I've updated my blog with three more novels.

1) Tiger Island! (Torajima! トラジマ!)
2) Shinaino. (しないの。)
3) Rabbit Love (UsaKoi うさ恋)

I thought Shinaino. Was going to be more interesting that the synopsis told me. Just some guy who accidently drank some stuff that made him give off the "who-la-la" pheremones, and the girl he confessed to isn't affected by it...O_o

Rabbit Love would be more interesting if it wasn't about a Middle School student. I'm not a middle school student, and don't particularly want to read about it. But the novel still seems interesting enough and has some good ratings for me to put a spoiler out. Something about a boy who picks up a rabbit, and when he washes it, it turns into some princess of the moon country. I'm guessing a light novel written for middle school aged students, (14 ish)...

Last one is Tiger Island! or ToraJima! I'm trying to figure out what this thing about the tiger island is...the synopsis says nothing about it, lol. Just a guy who was given hand me down underpants that his mother bought somewhere, and they were once used by a demon, so he's now got some sort of ability. It's his story, and the first friend he makes, a girl named Rui.

Hmm...I'm still waiting on my website, lol. I downloaded the WotLK Fansite Kit pack, and just edited some images, downloaded the LifeCraft font, and named the site: "World of NovelCraft," then edited the links and text to relate to light novels, all with that classic WotLK feel, lol. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself, but first I've run into some difficulties in securing a website O_o

What do you think of the above novels? Maybe someone who's read them?

(Check this site for more: http://www.shou-setsu.blogspot.com)
Old 2009-03-18, 09:55   Link #105
Cloudy

Wonder if anyone here read OtoXMaho.

A mahou trap seems to be a novel idea.
Old 2009-03-18, 23:08   Link #106
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
@Ryuou:

Ahhh....I see...let me rephrase then what my "synopsis" was that I said something like couldn't be found anywhere.

I am still just a basic translator, meaning I can't translate without the use of ways to identify the meaning of most kanji, and double grammer points here and there. Because of this, it would take me alot longer than one day to read the novels I put out the synopsis for . So what I do, is I'll go to the JP Wikipedia, Amazon.co.jp, and the Publisher's site, and read the synopsis/reviews there, and choose the one I think seems to express the most about the story, and make that the one I use to translate with.

I don't actually read the novel first, then write my own synopsis. That would take me forever at my current Japanese skill level, lol ^_^. So I just get around 1 novel/synopsis per day chosen, and translate that.

I hope that helps clear up any misconceptions of my site ^_^
Haha, yes and no. Now I understand your method but I'm still confused about your poll. Why are we voting for titles that already have a synopsis that I assume you did? Shouldn't we be voting for titles you haven't touched yet?
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 08:41   Link #107
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

ah, the "synopsis" and "teaser" are different. have you downloaded one of the teasers? The synopsis is the overall 'theme' of the novel, what is usually akin to the text on the back cover of a book written to try and grab your attention. The poll is for a teaser. it means which synopsis and image that you saw, do you now want to see a part of the novel translated for. usually chapter 1 page 1,2,3 or so is a teaser. a synopsis is the text on the back of the book. I hope this clears things up a little more

Also, I'm currently still working on it...but...well...uhmm...isn't this cool?

http://www.light-novels.info
Old 2009-03-19, 08:56   Link #108
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
@Doraneko: Done reading the other Kougyoku light novels They were as superb as the first one.

MAMA - Benitama-san's second novel. Like what other people say, the way she writes became much more like the light novels we have today. This time the story revolves around Toto, a girl drop-out and Hoichi, a powerful man-eater monster.
Toto decides to become Hoichi's mother, and faces the discrimination from the people around her. I felt so much for Hoichi, when he decided to give up the place he believed to be only his, for the sake of her beloved mother and the man she loved.

YUKIKAMAKIRI - The third and the last novel from Benitama-san's man-eater series. I liked it better than MAMA, but I still love Mimizuku the best. It's also the
only novel from the man-eater series that didn't provoked tears.
The story takes place in a snowy mountain range where several tribes lived. Their history was a bloody one, with years of war going on between the tribes. Ten years after the peace treaty between the Fuerbi tribe and Mirde tribe, a marriage was fated to take place between the leader of both tribes. The Fuerbi women were known for the great passion and love, strong enough that it's said that they kill and eat their mate, out of great love they have for them.
Reading this novel made me think that madness might be a form of love, or even the final destination of strong feeling that you feel for someone. Too bad though that they weren't enough focus for Altesia's story. Rozia's story left a greater impact than Altesia's.

All in all, both were great and it would definitely be a nice addition for light-novel readers to have.
Old 2009-03-19, 12:28   Link #109
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_FF View Post
@Doraneko: Done reading the other Kougyoku light novels They were as superb as the first one.
Great to know that you enjoy them. Kougyoku's works definitely deserve more love .

But too bad that I haven't got Yukikamakiri yet . Hopefully I can get a copy soon.

Quote:
URL="http://www.light-novels.info"]
http://www.light-novels.info[/URL]
The sites looks great and hopefully it can have more content soon.

For the teasers, I wonder if it would be a better idea to put the files directly on your server instead of an external host like MediaFire? The files are pretty small in size anyway.

Or better, you can include them in your sites as webpages instead of pdf files. For titles with teasers, visitors can easily make a click on the review/synopsis page and jump to the content.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:50   Link #110
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
ah, the "synopsis" and "teaser" are different. have you downloaded one of the teasers? The synopsis is the overall 'theme' of the novel, what is usually akin to the text on the back cover of a book written to try and grab your attention. The poll is for a teaser. it means which synopsis and image that you saw, do you now want to see a part of the novel translated for. usually chapter 1 page 1,2,3 or so is a teaser. a synopsis is the text on the back of the book. I hope this clears things up a little more
I have finally seen the light.

Quote:
Also, I'm currently still working on it...but...well...uhmm...isn't this cool?

http://www.light-novels.info
I like what you've got going there. I have high hopes for what it can grow into.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 14:03   Link #111
NeoSam

Well, there's always this site that needs help >_>
http://lightnovel.org/

By help, I mean any type of help... translating news bits, reviews,...
Old 2009-03-19, 19:05   Link #112
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

lol, that was the first time I clicked on the forums section...I have a few questions/points:

1) Is there anyway I can just link to the comibb forums, and we can kind of link the two sites? It's written really well, the forums that is. And I can't really busy myself with administrating over them. So if it's something you wouldn't mind me linking too....^_^

2) Lightnovel.org was to me more of a site where releases are updated as they come out in Japan, so you can always get an up to date image of a new novel in Japan, and then there's the section for reviews and the like, and english novels. This is really useful, but I was wanting to take light-novels.info into a slightly different direction.

3) For L-N.info, I want it to be a site focused more on generalizing information regarding novels, helping one browse through lists of translated material I have, and see if there is anything that interests them. Then what I might do if you're okay with it...is throw in a link to lightnovel.org, because that's the site with the reviews right? I can't really review novels because of my current japanese level, it takes me forever to read through one. I've got a link for reviews but...I'm wondering if that should like to LN.org instead.

4) I really like my site . There's a sense of accomplishment I've got with it, even though it looks like this...for example, learning how to crop out images from their backgrounds and make a banner using gimp, (the one on the site is made by yours truly, even though you can still see a lot of problems)

5) In conclusion, L-N.info = synopsis/trailers/basic searching, LN.org = reviews, new releases, listings. more advanced indexing with english novels, japanese novels, adult novels, etc etc.

As for L-N.info, I'm still trying to figure out how to work the ftp stuff for the file links on the site. I'd rather do it as it's faster, but echk it takes work O_o haven't got a clue...and it doesn't help that i messed up on my provider, lol.

but the idea about putting the teaser as text on a page sounds like a good idea. the link might be something like:

http://www.light-novels.info/Accel_World/teaser

and maybe once FTP gets figured out, add that in as well, so if you wanted, you could have a .pdf on your computer.

I'll give this a shot next.
Old 2009-03-19, 20:01   Link #113
NeoSam

Quote:
lol, that was the first time I clicked on the forums section...I have a few questions/points:

1) Is there anyway I can just link to the comibb forums, and we can kind of link the two sites? It's written really well, the forums that is. And I can't really busy myself with administrating over them. So if it's something you wouldn't mind me linking too....^_^
I don't think there would be any problem with linking to the forum, but I'm not sure by what you mean by linking the two sites?

Quote:
2) Lightnovel.org was to me more of a site where releases are updated as they come out in Japan, so you can always get an up to date image of a new novel in Japan, and then there's the section for reviews and the like, and english novels. This is really useful, but I was wanting to take light-novels.info into a slightly different direction.
The LN.org site concentrates (or at least tries, because its under staffed >_>) on Japanese light novel news, new Japanese light novel releases, reviews of Japanese light novels and licensed light novels, and of course there's also the light novel magazine Karui Shosetsu Magazine

Quote:
3) For L-N.info, I want it to be a site focused more on generalizing information regarding novels, helping one browse through lists of translated material I have, and see if there is anything that interests them. Then what I might do if you're okay with it...is throw in a link to lightnovel.org, because that's the site with the reviews right? I can't really review novels because of my current japanese level, it takes me forever to read through one. I've got a link for reviews but...I'm wondering if that should like to LN.org instead.
That is of course up to you. Though our site doesn't have a big list of reviewed light novels, but hopefully someday we'll be able to find someone interested in reviewing light novels >_< and the list will start to grow...
Old 2009-03-20, 09:00   Link #114
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

man a website takes alot of work O_o

I'm learning tons though. Anyway, The sites got a revamped look. new backgrounds. I especially like the black/blue banner I made that says: "ライトノベルの世界へようこそ" (Welcome to the World of Light Novels.) Also each novel 'project' now has it's own page, which you can browse to if you click on the link labeled : "titles" on the main site bar.

On those pages, I'll be updating things when I get the chance. For example, you'll be able to see each novel covers for all the published books of that respective series, there will be links to a teaser if there is one, and if there's a review for the novel it will be there as well.

Ryuou said something about this, and I've kinda done something...I'll figure out how to get it organized on the site, but to start with, this is the 'online readable pdf version" of the Accel World Teaser.

Accel World Teaser

I'm going to be doing more and more work still, lol....this is tiring, yet strangely entertaining.

I'm still thinking of what I can do in regards to reviewing novels/etc for use at LN.org. L-N.info will be geared towards synopses and teasers, that's what I'm thinking atm. So say someone browses LN.org for new releases, and sees a novel that looks interesting and doesn't have a review yet. That's where I'd come in I guess...O_o

well, w/e....still so much work to do O_o
Old 2009-03-20, 16:34   Link #115
NeoSam

ooh, that would be great if you could review light novels for LN.org
Old 2009-03-20, 16:39   Link #116
apr
Pedestrian

Is no one translating 9S? It's remarkably interesting for a series with such a ridiculous setting; I've been grinning through every page so far. I just hope it can continue like this, because writing an ultragenius character is pretty hard.
Old 2009-03-20, 17:52   Link #117
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Is no one translating 9S? It's remarkably interesting for a series with such a ridiculous setting; I've been grinning through every page so far. I just hope it can continue like this, because writing an ultragenius character is pretty hard.
How far have you gone through the series?
There are 9 volumes and two spin offs at the moment.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 17:53   Link #118
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
How far have you gone through the series?
There are 9 volumes and two spin offs at the moment.
I'm 78 pages into the first volume. I meant "continue being good" not "continue being published", two completely unrelated things.
Old 2009-03-20, 18:02   Link #119
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I'm 78 pages into the first volume. I meant "continue being good" not "continue being published", two completely unrelated things.
It's a great read all the way through, I guarantee it, although the focus switches from Yuu to Toma somewhat in the following volumes and ALOT of characters comes on board to make the stories more interesting.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 18:06   Link #120
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
It's good although the focus switches from Yuu to Toma somewhat in the following volumes and ALOT of characters comes on board to make the stories more interesting.
I don't even know who "Yuu" is yet. Touma's been the main character in the bits I've read.

9S is such a strange series. If you were to put the settings and characters into bullet points it would be incredibly absurd and cliche, but the way it plays out in the novel makes it surprisingly exciting and entertaining. It's nicely written too, many levels above Zero no Tsukaima and Full Metal Panic, for instance, without really heading into "literature" territory like Spice & Wolf.

Plus, the girl's pretty hot. :3

Tags
light novels