AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-04-20, 12:22   Link #1
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Thumbs up Daredevil (2015 netflix series)

I'm surprised there's no thread about this series here.

The show caught me by surprise, good storytelling, great characters and character interactions (with Foggy taking the cake as the most likeable character in tv for me right now), the chemistry Matt-Foggy-Karen is just adorable, I wanna hug these kids and pat them in the heads with a "Oh, my sweet summer children, if you only knew...".

Kingpin is awesome but that was to be expected, when has D' Onofrio ever failed to deliver? My only complain would be that at times you can clearly see the scared little fat kid behind his eyes, which is something I never sensed in the comics.

But as great as the story is, it's the fight scenes that will probably catch people's imaginary.
I geeked SO bad the first time Matt threw an object and it ricochetted in a wall and hit an oponent.

You can clearly see him trying and testing what works and what doesn't in the superhero bizz (and paying dearly when it doesn't), stumbling on his way as he goes about.

I have no idea who Rosario's character is supposed to be since I lost track of DD after Miller left 3 decades ago but all the others, from Melvin to Vanessa to Turk (where's Grotto?) are spot! On!

And the inner geek in me explodes every time they hint at little gems like senator Cherryh, Betsy or that greek girl they met in college.

The only thing that almost made me scream in pure rage was

Spoiler:

All in all, 4 stars.
You could have had 5, Marvel.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 12:44   Link #2
james0246

^Here's an article from the stunt coordinator describing just how some of the amazing fight scenes were staged and how the work between Charlie Cox and his stunt double Chris Brewster took place. If nothing else, Netflix and Marvel have created a thoroughly technically impressive comic book television series with an abundance of style and no small amount of grace. While I haven't finished the season yet (I'm on episode 10), I have been greatly impressed by nearly everything I've seen thus far and can't wait to see next season as well as the other characters series (up next, Jessica Jones).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 17:31   Link #3
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

What I've liked the most is D'Onofrio's Fisk, he goes from a shy and awkward but cultured man, to a big fat ball of fury, capable of decapitating someone with a car door and scare the hell out of you with his voice only...

Last edited by SuitUp; 2015-04-20 at 17:45.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 19:51   Link #4
sayde

I didn't have any major issues with this series to be honest. I admit, I don't think the look of his red outfit transferred over too well from the comics, but perhaps I'll get used to it somewhere during a possible season 2. Speaking of season 2, I'm also looking forward to seeing our main protagonist's fighting prowess improve to the point where he doesn't have to struggle so much to combat almost every bit of fodder that comes his way. That's pretty much it though. As someone who never followed the comics and only had some extremely brief and simple introductions to Daredevil as a kid (mostly from that old spiderman cartoon in the 90's) I loved the story, the characters and the direction the plot seems to be taking. Hopefully the series will prove successful and will continue to thrive enough to firmly establish itself as a worthy part of the rest of the MCU that Disney owns so that some crossovers and cameo's could take place to make things even more interesting in the long run.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 19:57   Link #5
GDB

Main part that interested me was the backstory they were weaving that would carry over to the other series (or, at least, Iron Fist) with Stick, Madame Gao, and the Hand.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 08:15   Link #6
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watched the DareDevil series and it was awesome. Not bad for a gritty Netfilx show set in the MCU.
I think the best character in the show was Fisk/Kingpin since he portrays a man who wants to help his city and cares about his friends and love ones while at the same is a ruthless mobster who doesn't tolerate anyone who gets in his way.

Also...
Spoiler for Later in the series:
Old 2015-05-07, 15:20   Link #7
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I really enjoyed it. Charlie Cox did a great job at playing Matt Murdock. But Vincent D'Onofrio was PERFECT as Kingpin. I loved how he was somewhat socially awkward but would fly into an irrational, murderous rage at key moments. His characterization was well done and made us understand him but yet still hate him (at least I did).

Great job at making Daredevil very strong and yet at the same time, just a man. He's got extraordinary perception, but he's in the end not superhuman. He gets beat up, tired, and even almost killed at one point, but he keeps going because that's what heroes do.

I hope that some of these "street-level" superheroes like Spiderman and Daredevil get some cameos in one of the upcoming Avengers movies. That would be so awesome.
Old 2015-05-07, 23:32   Link #8
OminousFlare

Just finished watching episode 3. I'm taking my time with this, though I'm loving it so far.

I was a bit annoyed at first when Matt acted and sounded like Batman while beating down criminals with a gruff voice... but by the end of the episode, he felt more human to me than Batman, especially if you know what happens at the end of that particular episode. Batman rarely makes the kind of mistakes or even have to question the moral choices Daredevil makes in this series. He has an uncompromising rulebook, unlike Matt. I think that depth in Daredevil's character was what fascinated me after I had finished watching the episode.

And of course, seeing the highly-praised Wilson Fisk performance for the first time was a plus. Awkward yet deadly indeed.

Not annoyed about the race-change of Ulrich's character. The backstory so far is sympathetic enough to make me care just that much, so I'll just wait and see if it improves over the course of the series. Not that Benny in the comics had a compelling backstory anyway...

Speaking of Ben Ulrich, I can't wait for Spider-Man to be brought into the MCU. Any Marvel fan should know the tight relationship Spidey shares with horn-head, and it would be so much fun if we get to see them working together in the very, very distant future, along with Ulrich involved as the middle man. The Matt in this series is so much fun to watch, his human vulnerability. I would like to see how that humanity in him extends to his interaction with Spidey, a vigilante much like himself.
Old 2015-05-28, 15:06   Link #9
Jagger

I liked it. They did a good job making him feel like a human and not just like some superhero who can do anything easily. The characters are nicely nuanced, even the villains.

I had to suspend disbelief a little bit that nobody could recognize him in his costume though. You'd think the people who had a good look at both his lawyer and vigilante self would immediately recognize his stupid sexy set of lips and stubble.

I liked his black costume better than his final costume though.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 10:51   Link #10
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
I liked it. They did a good job making him feel like a human and not just like some superhero who can do anything easily. The characters are nicely nuanced, even the villains.

I had to suspend disbelief a little bit that nobody could recognize him in his costume though. You'd think the people who had a good look at both his lawyer and vigilante self would immediately recognize his stupid sexy set of lips and stubble.

I liked his black costume better than his final costume though.
Maybe it's because the man in the mask sticks to dark places. Hard to see much of anything.

What irritates me about this series is that it tries to make us feel sorry for the bad guys. Fisk, Vanessa and Wesley, at least. Or that's the impression I get.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-09, 17:43   Link #11
Galaxian

Jon Bernthal will play Frank Castle (Punisher) in season 2 of Daredevil.

Source
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-09, 18:29   Link #12
Jagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Maybe it's because the man in the mask sticks to dark places. Hard to see much of anything.
As I recall the journalist and Foggy saw daredevil in pretty good light. Plenty of time to have a good look while they're casually chatting.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-10, 04:00   Link #13
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Jon Bernthal will play Frank Castle (Punisher) in season 2 of Daredevil.

Source
Well this will bring a unique conflict between DD and Frank over their view of criminals.
Old 2015-06-10, 10:48   Link #14
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

John Bernthal looks nothing like Frank Castle, while I can't say I know of any actor that does besides Thomas Jane on steroids, Bernthal looks like a grandma
Old 2015-07-08, 04:50   Link #15
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Elektra to be played by Elodie Yung in season 2.
Old 2015-10-13, 00:05   Link #16
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Season 2 trailer.

Old 2016-02-15, 10:25   Link #17
monster

monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-15, 10:47   Link #18
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for the last scene in the trailer:
Old 2016-02-25, 09:53   Link #19