AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-16, 20:44   Link #1101
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfive View Post
Although I agree that the last episode was a bit rushed since the still frames at the end could have easily been animated if the piano part in the middle could have been cut down but I disagree with dropping the series to 7.5 from 10/10 for that minor infraction. The warm reunion/embrace of chiaki and nodame was a great way to close the first chapter of their relationship and I think putting 3 more episodes to make those still frames animated would do more harm than good for the series since it kinda feel like an epilogue for season one, so showing it in the closing credits seems reasonable. A season 2 is most welcomed. Anyways this series 9 to 9.5/10 in my book, the anime did a very good job in capturing the humour and personality of the main characters from the award winning manga from which it is based with only the lack of fluidity in animating the conducting/piano playing scenes as my only minor complaint.
whoa... 9.5??? r u serious?? im not knocking ur personal taste or grading system but how is the show a 9.5? i come up with scores based off story (7), animation (9), sound (10), value (7), entertainment (8) and character (7). avg= 8/10. the show could have been so much better if they focused on characters as much as they focused on how music influenced the characters. like when mine gets with the girl, more detail and insight on their relatioship would have been nice... shit all i know about mine is that he is hyper and he likes the violin. Chiaki is an asshole, but y is he an asshole?? was he just an asshole by nature, or because it was a comedy relief. issues like that. Beck obliterates this show in the character development department.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 22:28   Link #1102
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Beck IS awesome, but there's hardly alot in common with that show and this one. And comeon..Beck has quite possibly the worst ending ever to a great anime.

I agree the ending did hurt the series, it was teetering on being a 10/10 for me,but now it's a 9, not even a 9 1/2. I wanted more completion with the NodaXChiaki thing. It was such a cute moment when he..
Spoiler:

But aside from that not much else happened between the two. And was it just me or did Nodame seem abit OOC in the last two episodes?

FTR, Chiaki wasn't an asshole. He was a moody genius. He was cranky because of his inner turmoil with not acheiving his dreams and all that. And Mine had ENOUGH screentime, I didnt mind them glossing over his little romance. Timpany guy needed more screentime tho. He was histerical~! He Reminded me of that guy from Saber Marionette.
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 23:48   Link #1103
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think people's reactions to Nodame Cantabile depend at least in part on how they feel about classical music. I was happy listening to four or five minutes of Rachmaninoff or Beethoven, but other viewers might find that at bit tedious. Someone earlier in this thread said the show was more about the music than the characters; as time goes on, I've come around to that view as well. One of the things I like about Nodame Cantabile was that it made classical music sexy. Chiaki was an arrogant prick, but he was also handsome and gifted and, well, sexy. Nodame was clutzy and unkempt and scheming, but the way she looked when she played the piano was, well, also sexy. What was most appealing about all the characters, including all the minor ones, was their inner commitment. And that might have been the sexiest thing of all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 23:50   Link #1104
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan View Post
Beck IS awesome, but there's hardly alot in common with that show and this one. And comeon..Beck has quite possibly the worst ending ever to a great anime.
not trying to make this a beck forum, but nodame and beck had alot in common in relation to the theme of how music specifically affects the main character's lives and motivations. however i do disagree, i loved the ending of beck. it had closure in its own way. life goes on, and so did they.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 00:09   Link #1105
nanafan
horo fan

i still can't figure out if the timpanist was a guy or girl..lol but he was hilarious..
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 03:24   Link #1106
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
i still can't figure out if the timpanist was a guy or girl..lol but he was hilarious..
He was homosexual and a guy. I thought the character was funny too. Always going after Chiaki. I liked him more than I did Nodame, whenever she got excited she would scream, "gyabo", and various other phrases that just aren't cute.

This series got a 9/10 from me. The ending was rushed, and that disappointed me. I think I'll check the manga out. I guess what really got me was the classical music. I'm a big fan of it.
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 04:10   Link #1107
janfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
whoa... 9.5??? r u serious?? im not knocking ur personal taste or grading system but how is the show a 9.5? i come up with scores based off story (7), animation (9), sound (10), value (7), entertainment (8) and character (7). avg= 8/10. the show could have been so much better if they focused on characters as much as they focused on how music influenced the characters. like when mine gets with the girl, more detail and insight on their relatioship would have been nice... shit all i know about mine is that he is hyper and he likes the violin. Chiaki is an asshole, but y is he an asshole?? was he just an asshole by nature, or because it was a comedy relief. issues like that. Beck obliterates this show in the character development department.
Yup. I gave it a 9 to 9.5. A 10 would be Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne or Wolf's Rain (in your Top 10) or the first part of Death Note. Sure there are things left unexplained in the series but as a whole I was generally satisfied. I don't give animation, sound, value, entertainment and character the same weight in scoring the series. I just based it on enjoyment. Take this from a guy who would rather watch again Transformers than Lost in Translation or School of Rock than Amadeus, no matter what the critics say. I mean there are shows with crappy animation (Cromartie), bad sound/OST (NHK), no plot (Azumanga), no real development of characters (School Rumble, season 1), partly incomprehensible (Evangelion) or bad ending (Ranma) but still I think are great shows (though certain things do tick me off...like why the hell are the chicks in Initial D look like guys with long hair). Right now I'm enjoy watching Lovely Complex if you wanna know my personal taste. If I have to recommend an anime series with music as the central theme then I would definitely recommend this or as you argued, Beck.
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 07:19   Link #1108
mdauben

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan View Post
I agree the ending did hurt the series, it was teetering on being a 10/10 for me,but now it's a 9, not even a 9 1/2.
Really? I'm kind of supprised at some of the negative (or at least, less positive) reactions to the last episode. For me, it was everything I was hoping for; emotional, funny, and with a least one supprise. I thought the final episode was probably one of the most satisfying season endings I have seen in a long time, and a perfect climax to the season of Nodame.

Perhaps I liked it so much because I looked at it as the finale of the season, and not the story? I felt it provided a wonderful emotional climax to their story and their relationship so far, while not totally resolving everything, thus leaving the story open for a second season. I suppose would have been nice to see more of a resolution to Nodame's "history", or to Chiaki's pursuit of his dreams, or even to the Chiaki/Nodame relationship, but I see that as matieral for a subsequent season. <fingers crossed!>

Finally, it might have been nice if the stuff from the ending credits could have been expanded and animated, but I thought it was funny as it was and it didn't really detract from the episode for me (I was laughing through the whole thing)
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 07:43   Link #1109
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

@mdauben

No, i see it as the end of the season, but i'm miffed over that was handled. The next season will take place in europe, however they ruined the last episode by all but cutting out nodame's family, and her past.

There was no reason for them to do a 23 episode season, its stupid. They should of done a 24 or 26 season which would of allowed them to cover the last bits without ruining the epsiode
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 10:10   Link #1110
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
No, i see it as the end of the season, but i'm miffed over that was handled. The next season will take place in europe, however they ruined the last episode by all but cutting out nodame's family, and her past.
Well, I agree that seeing those things would have been nice, but I just don't feel that their omision "ruined" the ending, at least not for me.

I have not read the manga, so I don't know how or when they resolved the issue of Nodame's past, but I just assumed that it was something they were going to address later (as in next season, perhaps?). Seeing more of Nodame's family (especially her Mother!) would have been very entertaining, but is perhaps tied in more with the (so far) unresolved issue of her past? Nodame does still need to pass some sort of test or audtion before she goes to study in Paris, though, right? Perhaps the next season will at least begin in Japan, and provide some more "family time" for the Noda clan?

That's just supposition and personal oppinion, of course, but I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 11:42   Link #1111
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Thats probably why it dosent bother you Since we know what was supposed to happen, for them to change it like that, well you know.

I didn't like how they trivilised Nodame's child hood either. Her dad says her music teacher was a bit strict, but thats not the whole story. Yes he was strict, however what caused her trauma was the fact that he whopped her good and hard causing her head to split and blood to flow.

That was trimed to 'her teacher was strict' and that miffed me off a bit.

It's made all the more devestating since they stayed so faithful to the manga, to suddenly change it at the last minute was a nasty blow >.<

I still like the show, i think it was awsome uptil the half way mark of the last episode when they jumped into light speed.
Old 2007-07-17, 14:58   Link #1112
Tiberium Wolf

I was catching up this series and there is one thing that doesn't go away in my mind. What's with that bear meat can? Does that even exist ?
Old 2007-07-17, 15:47   Link #1113
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I think that some of you who liked parts of the anime but felt the ending was
rushed will like the live action version, especially since there's now going to be
a continuation in January.
Old 2007-07-17, 17:15   Link #1114
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I think that some of you who liked parts of the anime but felt the ending was
rushed will like the live action version, especially since there's now going to be
a continuation in January.
lol the LA is worse than the anime ever could be >.< Stresserman was so weird it was creepy. He was more like a drugged up hippy. The story is out of whak aswell, things are altered and shuffled around. I forced myself to watch the first 6 episodes then gave up for my sanity.
Old 2007-07-17, 17:16   Link #1115
nanafan
horo fan

i liked the anime, i didn't really feel that it was rushed. i did want to know more about nodame and her family though. i can't wait to see the live action special!
Old 2007-07-17, 18:47   Link #1116
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I was catching up this series and there is one thing that doesn't go away in my mind. What's with that bear meat can? Does that even exist ?
I think it does, and that it's very, very expensive.

Google got me these two sites.

The first site talks about Japan, the second site is from Finland. There it's 20 euros (~US$28) for a 200g (just under 1/2 lb) can.

I loved both the dorama and the anime, different as they were.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 21:46   Link #1117
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Quote:
not trying to make this a beck forum, but nodame and beck had alot in common in relation to the theme of how music specifically affects the main character's lives and motivations. however i do disagree, i loved the ending of beck. it had closure in its own way. life goes on, and so did they.
Beck is a teenage drama with a band as the backdrop. Nodame is music shojo with romance in thebackground of the series. They feel like totally different series to me. Just because they have a theme of music doesnt mean they're alike enough to compare them as similar series.

You're the first person I;ve ever met who didnt RAVE about how sucktastic that ending was,it wasnt even an ending! Not to mention it ruined/spoiled like 3-6 volumes of the manga in a single episode just for the fun of it, congratulations. I rly think ur being a Beck fanboy though. I love beck,but that last episode was crap, except for the soundtrack used.
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 22:33   Link #1118
nanafan
horo fan

has anyone read the manga for nodame cantabile? i just started it, really addicting and as funny as the anime.
Old 2007-07-18, 13:27   Link #1119
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
i read it but i read until volume 17
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 15:23   Link #1120
nanafan
horo fan

wow you are farther than i am..i think i am on vol 4.

Tags
comedy, nodame cantabile, noitamina, romance