Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-13, 22:05   Link #1
Sesshomaru22
Fanfic Writer
*Artist

Classic Romance/Slice of Life Anime...

Meh, I'm looking for a few Classic Romance/Slice of Life animes that are sort of like Hana Yori Dango (1996). With the romance mainly and the way the characters act. I've already seen Hana Yori Dango and I'm currently re-watching it again since I like the anime so much. Lol. Anyway, any recommendation will be greatly appreciated as long as it's a classic romance/Slice of Life.

Also, another question...is the J-Drama for Hana Yori Dango the same as the anime? As in, is the storylines the same? I ask because I've been meaning to check it out.

Last edited by Sesshomaru22; 2009-01-14 at 00:40.
Old 2009-01-13, 23:42   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

Hachimitsu to Clover is quite similar to Hana Yori Dango and it is also made into tv series drama.
Old 2009-01-14, 04:35   Link #3
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshomaru22 View Post
Also, another question...is the J-Drama for Hana Yori Dango the same as the anime? As in, is the storylines the same? I ask because I've been meaning to check it out.
As far as I remember it's pretty much the same - all major characters and arks were present. The one I don't remember in the anime is Daimyoji's loss of memory, but it might be from the movie . Anyway, I think the overlap b/w the anime and the j-drama is 95% and above.

As for the classic romance/slice of life, the poor girl gets the rich boy, Victorian Romance - Emma is more recent, as well as repetitive shoujo plots like Special A, Itazura na Kiss, or Vampire Knight. Generally, I rarely like the level of romance in shoujo's unless they have something to do with Lovely Complex, Kare Kano, YNSH, and Bokura ga Ita.
Old 2009-01-14, 11:22   Link #4
MamoruUsagi

Bokura ga Ita
Kare Kano
Peach Girl
Paradise Kiss
Mars
Kare First Love
The Devil Does Exist
Marmalade Boy
High School Debut
Akuma De Sourou
Happy Hustle High
Wild Act
Missile Happy!
Sand Chronicles
B.O.D.Y.
Ultra Cute
Bokura ga Ita
Kare Kano

Most of these are manga, the manga versions are much better than the anime.

You should read the manga of Hana Ypori Dango, the manga is about 36 volumes, the anime only goes up to volume 17. The manga continues the story and shows the couple dating and in a relationship. The Hana Yori Dango amnga shows the couple dating and as boyfriend and girlfriend and is much longer. The manga shows the main couple as boyfriend and girlfriend and in a mature relationship for a long time.

Peach Girl the manga is much more mature than the anime, the anime changes all the manga references to sex to kissing. The show cuts out all the mature themes and sexual references and so many important plotlines. The manga is much more mature than the show, the anime takes away the realistic and mature storyline.

Mars is a realistic and great romance manga, the couple is boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship during the series, lots of kissing, sex, the couple is engaged and living together. It is very mature and passionate and realistic. Mars is the most mature and realistic romance manga.

Kare First Love is a great romance manga, the couple is boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship with kissing and sex and lots of making out, break ups, realistic drama.

The Devil Does Exist is a great romance manga which shows the couple as boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-08-15 at 18:06.
Old 2009-01-14, 12:43   Link #5
Navel

I don't know the HYD j-drama, but you could check the manga because the latter part is different from the anime. The stories diverge from the moment Tsukushi's parents go 'to the country'. There's more development for the other F4 members, and many more surprises. It's definitely worth to check the manga. I've not seen the j-drama, but from what someone said above, it looks like it's closer to the manga than the anime towards the end.

As a classical romance with the introspective feel that HYD had, check Kare Kano.

From other people's recommendations, the same intorspective feel can be seen in Hachimitsu to Clover and in Bokura ga Ita. They're not "old" anime, but will become classics certainly because they're so apart. Also, there are nice manga suggestions, like Mars or Kare First Love.

I haven't personally seen Victorian Romance - Emma, but I heard many praising it, too.
Old 2009-01-14, 13:19   Link #6
mit7059

Absolutely second Honey & Clover with everything I have.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-01-14, 21:26   Link #7
Sesshomaru22
Fanfic Writer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
Bokura ga Ita
Kare Kano
Peach Girl
Paradise Kiss
Mars
Kare First Love
The Devil Does Exist
Marmalade Boy
High School Debut
Akuma De Sourou
Happy Hustle High

Most of these are manga, the manga versions are much better than the anime.

You should read the manga of Hana Ypori Dango, the manga is about 36 volumes, the anime only goes up to volume 17. The manga continues the story and shows the couple dating and in a relationship. The Hana Yori Dango amnga shows the couple dating and as boyfriend and girlfriend and is much longer. The manga shows the main couple as boyfriend and girlfriend and in a mature relationship for a long time.

Peach Girl the manga is much more mature than the anime, the anime changes all the manga references to sex to kissing. The show cuts out all the mature themes and sexual references and so many important plotlines. The manga is much more mature than the show, the anime takes away the realistic and mature storyline.

Mars is a realistic and great romance manga, the couple is boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship during the series, lots of kissing, sex, the couple is engaged and living together. It is very mature and passionate and realistic. Mars is the most mature and realistic romance manga.

Kare First Love is a great romance manga, the couple is boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship with kissing and sex and lots of making out, break ups, realistic drama.

The Devil Does Exist is a great romance manga which shows the couple as boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship.
I've already watched Peach Girl and plan on watching it again. Also, I will definitely check out the manga for it as well as the others you recommended. Thank you for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post
I don't know the HYD j-drama, but you could check the manga because the latter part is different from the anime. The stories diverge from the moment Tsukushi's parents go 'to the country'. There's more development for the other F4 members, and many more surprises. It's definitely worth to check the manga. I've not seen the j-drama, but from what someone said above, it looks like it's closer to the manga than the anime towards the end.

As a classical romance with the introspective feel that HYD had, check Kare Kano.

From other people's recommendations, the same intorspective feel can be seen in Hachimitsu to Clover and in Bokura ga Ita. They're not "old" anime, but will become classics certainly because they're so apart. Also, there are nice manga suggestions, like Mars or Kare First Love.

I haven't personally seen Victorian Romance - Emma, but I heard many praising it, too.
I'll definitely check out the manga for Hana Yori Dango and the J-Drama. Thank you for your help! I'll also check out Kare Kano and Hachimitsu to Clover. Thank you!
Closed Thread