AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-04, 04:43   Link #61
Forsaken_Infinity

Derp. It goes painstakingly slow though T_T
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 06:03   Link #62
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

The episode didn't disappoint in visuals, atmosphere, and characters. My 2 biggest impressions so far are 1) thank God that I live in a time where my trade options are plentiful and I have no need to become a black smith, and 2) it seems rather silly that all the French folks we've seen speak Japanese yet the one Japanese native can't understand what they're saying. What's the point of taking a Japanese native into a foreign land where they all magically speak Japanese (remember Karate Kid II)? At some point, it'd be nice to hear a production in which foreigners speak their foreign language fluently, subtitle the speeches for the benefit of the viewer, then put the Japanese character through that awkward task of assimilating.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 06:17   Link #63
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

It was unhealthly, unconventionally, disgustingly adorable. Yune is the cutest thing since Mayushii.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 06:28   Link #64
Misdreavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
The episode didn't disappoint in visuals, atmosphere, and characters. My 2 biggest impressions so far are 1) thank God that I live in a time where my trade options are plentiful and I have no need to become a black smith, and 2) it seems rather silly that all the French folks we've seen speak Japanese yet the one Japanese native can't understand what they're saying. What's the point of taking a Japanese native into a foreign land where they all magically speak Japanese (remember Karate Kid II)? At some point, it'd be nice to hear a production in which foreigners speak their foreign language fluently, subtitle the speeches for the benefit of the viewer, then put the Japanese character through that awkward task of assimilating.
I'm pretty sure that the characters are meant to be speaking French, but being anime for Japanese audiences, just assume that the characters are speaking French, but it's been dubbed into Japanese so that Japanese audiences will understand it... obviously.

It's obvious that they're speaking French as the signs and the book Yune reads at the end is in French, so she's "learning" how to speak French.

Loving the anime, very relaxing and Yune is cute as. Claude isn't as bad a character too.
Misdreavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 06:38   Link #65
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Claude is hot. Very hot.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 07:23   Link #66
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I loved the cultural shock in the first episode. I love the Aria vibes of this show. I like this first episode and will stick by it for three episodes, as I usually do.

It was fun to recognize some of the Parisian places even with over 150 years of age. Anyone who have not slept in history classes should know that there was a big japanophilia wave in the late 19th century, that have also hit France. In one small scene there was one man talking about Brunet, which makes me wonder if they were talking about this Brunet. At this point, it is not certain if it is Second Empire France or Third Republic France.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 07:55   Link #67
Ziziphus
Whatever

Adorable. This is just so adorable. This series is definitely a keeper!

OP & ED is perfect too.
Old 2011-07-04, 08:10   Link #68
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
At this point, it is not certain if it is Second Empire France or Third Republic France.
Great,I had not asked myself that question but now that you did I want to watch the episode again to see if I can find any clues
Loved ninteeth century France in history class,regime changes all over the place!

Only mistake I could spot was a sign that says "modèrès" instead of "modérés".So nothing really big.
Old 2011-07-04, 08:29   Link #69
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

A truly unique piece of work, you don't usually, in my case, close to never see these kind of series. Keeping my hopes up for further episodes.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 08:57   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I had to check this out right away when I learned of Junichi Satou's involvement. I have to confess the cute hardworking and non-sexualized loli (even if she's used as a poster girl) was another reason. She's basically the opposite of the lolis in Ro-Kyu-Bu. So damn adorable and innocent.

I definitely got Aria vibes off this first episode, especially thanks to the music. I was pleased with the overall atmosphere of this episode. This should a very relaxing and heartwarming anime. At least, I hope so. Looking forward to more.
Old 2011-07-04, 10:19   Link #71
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Only mistake I could spot was a sign that says "modèrès" instead of "modérés".So nothing really big.
Yeah, I thought they meant modèles until I have rewatched it and saw "prix". So yeah, most of the french in here is correct.

Also, it is the series that makes me go, "I know I have been at that place a while ago but I CANT remember exactly where."
Old 2011-07-04, 10:54   Link #72
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
So, while diligently working on this last night and doing my parts of the typesetting (and now going back and watching it in full, again) I must confess that I've absolutely fallen in love with Yune, or something close there-of. This anime has also given me a chance to utilize my now rusty French in order to translate various signs and other things into English. Well, it was fun.

Looking forward to future episodes of this. I remember joking with the rest of my usual circle of friends last night that Claude might be Napoleon III due to his vehemently nationalist comment towards Yune, and his originally staunch attitude towards France in the beginning. Something got me thinking, kami-sama knows why, that he may have just been the future Emperor due to his annoyingly/originally pompous attitude. Glad to see the relationship between him and Yune grow throughout the episode and gradually make him show some kind of acceptance for her among his 'family' of sorts. Put a smile on my face, several times.

Also, I swear that the old man is totally a 'bro', if you get what I mean. I'm confused as to which time-frame of France this is also, too. Guess we'll find out. Back to watching, again.

(I totally did not mainly pick this up for the loli, well, maybe I did. BUT I'M WATCHING IT FOR PLOT, DEVELOPMENT, ART, AND MUSIC TOO!)

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 10:56   Link #73
VentAileron

Judging from the French experts here, the depiction of France in the series is quite accurate. If anything, this show is about, supposedly, 18th century France.

The characters are speaking French in the fictional world while we hear them speak Japanese. I'm glad they dropped the 'I can guess what you're saying' part, because that's the only thing that didn't make sense.

Did you see the first few frames of that cathedral? My jaw dropped, literally. I wonder if they can keep the visuals at a high level. The image of the gallery has been reused a lot already in this episode, but what about new ones? We'll have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekureiru View Post
(I totally did not mainly pick this up for the loli, well, maybe I did. BUT I'M WATCHING IT FOR PLOT, DEVELOPMENT, ART, AND MUSIC TOO!)
Keep telling that yourself. :P
Old 2011-07-04, 11:03   Link #74
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Judging from the French experts here, the depiction of France in the series is quite accurate. If anything, this show is about, supposedly, 18th century France.

Keep telling that yourself. :P
Actually, 19th century France. The couple of lines beneath the title (in the OP) read:

Paris, in the 19th century
Under the canopy of the old Roy's Gallery, you see a silhouette
of a tiny little Japanese girl named Yune
For now, only a few Parisians know of her arrival

Their depiction of France in this time period, however, had been stunning so far.

Also, yes, I agree. DAT CATHEDRAL.

Oh, and I continue to keep deluding myself. After all, I'm not a lolicon, I'm also a lolicon.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 11:13   Link #75
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Paris in the 18th Century is nothing like Paris in the late 19th Century. Haussmann style Paris as seen in this series suggest that it is well in the 1870s, therefore well after the Second Empire. So, it is likely Third Republic France.
Old 2011-07-04, 11:20   Link #76
mysterious

What a great way to start the day by watching the 1 ep, It warms my heart. I first thought that it will take a few episodes before the protagonist accepts Yune but I am glad It is over now. Yune is one hell of a loli but more of the type that makes you want to protect them instead of screwing them (well maybe a little ). The grandpa is totally awesome though. So far, nothing in this show makes me dislike it yet.
Old 2011-07-04, 11:25   Link #77
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I love this show for having an excellent male lead in Claude. Not the usual crap of 'hard shell and soft core' . He is decent from the very beginning. And of course for Yune (<333) too.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 11:45   Link #78
TrueKnight

Having read the manga I don't like how they portrayed Claude in this ep.... he's being a total jerk to Yune most of the time. Poor little girl... He's more likable in the comic. Other than that this show's quite cute and adorable.

Also notice that the anime is trying to differ with the manga, which is in fact, a nice change since manga readers won't actually know where the show's heading, giving fresh stuff to speculate.

Hoping for more cute Claude x Yune interactions in future ep. And seriously the lead's VA (Okamoto?) is nearly a main cast in every show...
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 11:53   Link #79
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Haussmann style Paris as seen in this series suggest that it is well in the 1870s, therefore well after the Second Empire. So, it is likely Third Republic France.

"well after" is a bit of a stretch since the second empire ended in 1870,but yeah now that you mention it it's got to be 3rd republic not only because of what you said but also at the end of the OP the cast has their picture taken and while photography was around in the second empire I'm pretty sure you have to wait a bit later for it to be mainstream enough for that to be possible.

Also,episode preview:Cheese!

If our loli doesn't taste all different kinds I'll be disapoint.
Old 2011-07-04, 12:05   Link #80
Blaat

Third Republic? Bah! Admittedly I was secretly hoping we'll see the siege of Paris and the Paris Commune but with this being the most likely Third Republic that hope is gone (although I have to admit realistically speaking showing the siege and commune wouldn't fit with the tone of the series)

As for the series it self, it's basically Aria meets Emma... in Paris! I really love the backgrounds but my biggest complaint is that too many scenes took place in the shop Well that, and the blonde and blue eye stereotype of westerners I'm getting sick of that one.

Tags
historical, romance, shounen, slice of life