AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-07-08, 15:42   Link #581
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I wouldn't mind a series where the protagonist actually uses a GM-equivalent against the antagonistic Gundam it was developed from.
Old 2015-07-08, 15:46   Link #582
monster

Yeah, I didn't even realize that Donkey Kong was a villain. So Gundam could be it too. Plus, it would make it easier to accept seeing The Gundam overpowering the enemies because there is an expectation of defeating it at the end.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 16:27   Link #583
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I wouldn't mind a series where the protagonist actually uses a GM-equivalent against the antagonistic Gundam it was developed from.
That’s a good one, but I’m sure people then will accuse it's ripping off Aldnoah.Zero (even though Gundam already semi-did it first with 08th MS Team). Not a good marketing choice. I’d rather the MC stick with piloting the Gundam but be more creative with the story and execution.
Old 2015-07-09, 11:39   Link #584
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

This is taking way too long! I wanna see it already!
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 14:00   Link #585
IceHism

Hmm, well the last time they tried to not do a straightforward war story, we got G no Reconguista...
I think the plot will be kind of standard gundam but with the flair of code geass? (or maybe infinite ryvius)
Ahh, there's so much they could do. I'm hoping they do something different than previous gundam series without it being all chaotic and disjoint.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 14:09   Link #586
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Good luck with that. The Gundam franchise has two major problems:

1) They're mired in tradition, and fans thus get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

2) Nearly every attempt they make at breaking away from tradition is met with hostility and sabotage from the fans.

So basically Sunrise is stuck.
Old 2015-07-09, 20:56   Link #587
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Hmm, well the last time they tried to not do a straightforward war story, we got G no Reconguista...
I think the plot will be kind of standard gundam but with the flair of code geass? (or maybe infinite ryvius)
Ahh, there's so much they could do. I'm hoping they do something different than previous gundam series without it being all chaotic and disjoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post

1) They're mired in tradition, and fans thus get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

2) Nearly every attempt they make at breaking away from tradition is met with hostility and sabotage from the fans.

So basically Sunrise is stuck.
I think it depends on the execution more than anything. AGE is a disaster not because of the generational-concept but the overall execution (childish art doesn’t help too) and Sunrise/Bandai’s half-cooked attempt at targeting kids audience. You can feel the show’s confusion or lack of confidence to go one way or the other (kiddy show or mature show). When Sunrise/Bandai have a clear vision of what they want to do, they're proven to be able to go bolder in breaking out from the war-formula with GBF, and it was a general success due to their commitment to make a fun show and focusing on that fun aspect (no more confusion like AGE).

As for G-Reco, I don’t think Sunrise care that much about its “quality control”. It feels more like a vanity project of Sunrise/Bandai to commemorate the franchise’s anniversary and gave Tomino a (final?) shot at doing his (last?) mecha series (which wasn’t really designed to be a Gundam series during the conception). To be a series that commemorate Gundam franchise’s, the “Gundam” brand need to be slapped on the title and become “Gundam: G no Reconguista” that we knew. Truthfully, I don’t really feel any ambition from Sunrise/Bandai before and during G-Reco’s airing to push its popularity. It almost seemed like they just give the budget to Tomino and tell him to just do whatever he wants with it just to honor him for the anniversary.

All in all, I feel that for the last decade, 00, GBF, Unicorn, and Origin are the true results and examples of Gundam entries when Sunrise/Bandai give it their all/finest to make them, with AGE and G-Reco being examples of their half-assed effort.

Now, I hope Sunrise/Bandai will once again, gaive their A game for this upcoming G-Tekketsu series (or whatever title it will end up with). The double-duds Age-Reco main series should convince them to put more effort in “quality control”.
Old 2015-07-09, 21:17   Link #588
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Personally, I only found the third arc of AGE a true disaster (trying to turn Kio into a Kira clone, the AGE-3 into a Strike Freedom-style clone, Flit's magical and predictable 180 attitude shift, plotholes galore, and so on). The first two, with Flit and Asemu, weren't too bad, IMO. Could've been better, but also could've been a lot worse (which the third arc did become worse).
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 06:33   Link #589
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
in my opinion G-Reco is considered the "Studio Ghibli" of Gundam if you ignore Tomino's 'accidental' sabotage of the franchise, still how the story telling is handled hurts my head sometimes, i hope the manga adaptation fixes all the mess,

to this day i' m still not sure what is up between Level-5 & Sunrise when they handled AGE, executive meddling in Bandai & Sunrise part when they reduce AGE's 70+ episode count? or Level-5 being inexperienced in handling the Gundam franchise?
at least the Unknown Soldiers Game manages to expand the plot, complete with its own animation materials to boot!! which is somehow left out in the TV series.
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 06:59   Link #590
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
On the other hand, G-Reco was sabotaged by its own creator with the lackluster execution (I'm sure G-Reco can be a genuinely good series if directed by someone with better directing skill).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X.
in my opinion G-Reco is considered the "Studio Ghibli" of Gundam if you ignore Tomino's 'accidental' sabotage of the franchise
- You don't get it. Tomino is convinced that his "Greatest Creation to Mankind that is Gundam" will still keep going even if he himself tries his best to sabotage it.

Or he's just trolling us again:

...Yes, I am convinced he's doing this on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon
]
- it's not necessarily bad. Unicorn was very much deeply entrenched in Gundam tradition but still managed to deliver something worth watching. EG it's old-school Gundam but done in a way that is enjoyable, updated but familiar. All they really needed to do was to give the characters more depth (one of the things I really loved about UC was that most of the characters were well-realized and more human than in previous Gundam series).

Oh yeah, and I know most of you are going to go hahaha nope youre an idjit wavehawk so I'm obviously in the minority here.

Quote:
- That's actually a problem. Most new Gundam series (EG new universes) that are successful tend to win new fans but alienate older ones. Thus we have the Universal Century fans, the Wing fans, the Turn-A fans, the Seed fans and the 00 fans. Most of whom hate each other on principle. There's a few gundam fans in between who like the series as a whole, but they're usually not die-hard Gundam fans. Or else they're Build Fighters fans, meaning that it doesn't matter ICanHasGiantRobotsToysHURHURHUR

There's still a long ways to go yet before they manage to nail an original idea that appeals to old fans and new fans and still manages to be new.

I don't think G-Tekketsu will be that series. It seems interesting but I just don't think it will work.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-07-10 at 07:16.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 05:24   Link #591
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Sequel to G-Reco incoming?

And I agree, that waist looks more like spacers used while the Gundam is being assembled by the bad guys, only to be stolen by the hapless whiny teenager about to be turned hero.
Old 2015-07-12, 20:42   Link #592
Zantetsuken

With more of the image shown, I think the gundam shown is not finished. The cables, the unarmored waist. But I like what I see thus far.
Old 2015-07-13, 02:07   Link #593
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

A little more has been revealed. This Gundam's V-fin is massive.
Old 2015-07-13, 03:22   Link #594
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

maybe its a trick in perspective, as in a view from the top is that why the V-fin looks huge, we have yet to the head unit that will support the mass of the V-fin, just hope that the V-fin is not also a massive yet impractical boomerang weapon.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2015-07-13, 03:47   Link #595
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Reminds me of Astray Outframe

And I also can see Legilis influence too

Last edited by LightningZERO; 2015-07-13 at 06:31.
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 05:13   Link #596
Zantetsuken

The face is so fierce.
Old 2015-07-13, 08:45   Link #597
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

welp, the V-fin's orb is yellow instead of red, the face looks Michael Bay-ish, at least the mouth vents are still there.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2015-07-13, 09:40   Link #598
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Best image so far:

I wonder how well some the stuff will translate into the HG gunpla, like the hydraulic cylinder in the shoulder area.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:00   Link #599
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Iffy lower torso design aside...I like it. The facial design looks fierce, exactly what I love in a Gundam.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:26   Link #600
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

It's not bulky after all huh? The silhouette only looks bulky coz we see from top. Liking the badass face so far .