AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-22, 21:16   Link #221
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wasn't someone working on tangible 3D holograms for use as buttons and the like in medical work?
Old 2012-02-22, 21:18   Link #222
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I really don't think so. The Miku stuff is still a projection. Even if we could form a robot that looked and behaved like these characters, it wouldn't quite match them. Case in point: have you ever watched the hair on a lot of anime characters? It's nice, long, beautiful, and moves oh-so charmingly. Real hair isn't like that. It's nowhere near as animated, and the longer it gets, the greater the risk of frizz, tangles, and other issues.

That's just one issue. There are others.

Anything will be possible once we have full-immersion virtual reality, though.
Well if you turn it into a robot, frizzy hair and tangles can be avoided using hair-textured materials that's extremely light to allow for more "action" in its movements.

Other issues?

I need that 100% virtual reality immersion now.
Old 2012-02-22, 21:26   Link #223
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Well here's a question: Given the physical laws of our universe, would it be technically possible for a "2D Girl" to truly exist here in a 3D form? Given the Hatsune Miku glass projection concert, I think it may be plausible.

Or maybe I'm just hopeful?
I say you're dreaming. 2D is length and width on a flat plane. 3D gives 2D height. If you are referring 3D as RL girl then sorry, but RL is 4D, not 3D.

IF it's 3D then your waifu is something along the lines of Love Plus or IdolM@ster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wasn't someone working on tangible 3D holograms for use as buttons and the like in medical work?
Yes. A sample of this tech is the holographic keyboard. Here.

I know this ain't an original phrase but.... WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!
Old 2012-02-22, 21:38   Link #224
lightsenshi
Author

Of course 2D girls are better. They never have headaches, you don't have arguments with them, and they always look exactly the way you want.
Old 2012-02-22, 21:42   Link #225
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
Of course 2D girls are better. They never have headaches, you don't have arguments with them, and they always look exactly the way you want.
Do 3D girls change how they look? Like one day they're loli, the next they're MILF material?
Old 2012-02-22, 21:52   Link #226
lightsenshi
Author

Like I said, they always look exactly the way you want.
Old 2012-02-22, 21:55   Link #227
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Anything will be possible once we have full-immersion virtual reality, though.
Not true! I for one am already appalled by 3D animeish girls. 2D is good because it's 2D. Most 3D girls (and not talking about the RL variety) look like barbie dolls to me and that's not a compliment.
Old 2012-02-22, 22:08   Link #228
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Not true! I for one am already appalled by 3D animeish girls. 2D is good because it's 2D. Most 3D girls (and not talking about the RL variety) look like barbie dolls to me and that's not a compliment.
I think it depends more on how the shading is done. For example, this is 3D:

Not appealing?
Old 2012-02-22, 22:31   Link #229
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
I think it depends more on how the shading is done. For example, this is 3D:

Not appealing?
First things first, why does that video have a crappy rap track to showcase something like this?

Second, nope, nowhere near as appealing as good old traditional hand-drawn 2D.
Old 2012-02-22, 22:53   Link #230
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
In light of this topic, who is your fave waifu anyway guys? I know it's a bit nerdy buuut, it's not like you guys can deny they make you HHHHHHHNNNNNGGGGGG, one way or another.
Obvious choice for me: Kuroneko. Cute, teasing, artistic (I write stories on occassion too), cosplayer. Worth the jailbait wait.

Matsuri Shihou from Sola is another favourite... I don't share a lot of hobbies with her (though I imagine she might share my interest in HDR photography LOL), but her personality -that "charm" factor - is fantastic. She also has a soft voice, which I like.

Maybe Eruruu from Utawarerumono for those adorable ears? Though Horo comes to mind for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife is quite aware of my hobbies, thanks, (she also watches anime) and how she resembles some of the character types in it. 4'10", 95lbs, waist-length black hair, japanese-american -- personality is a lot like Kagami of L*S or the more recent Azunyan of K-On!

Besides, she crushes on Captain Reynolds from Firefly
I approve.

Anyway, my girlfriend approves of some of idol worship of 2D/cosplayers... but not all of it. Generally it depends if it's someone she thinks is cute too.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-02-23, 00:33   Link #231
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
First things first, why does that video have a crappy rap track to showcase something like this?

Second, nope, nowhere near as appealing as good old traditional hand-drawn 2D.
You'd have to ask whoever put it together.... but yeah, that music for the video just doesn't mesh for me either.

I think the animation is *interesting* (almost hypnotic) ... but it would have to have a LOT of unique animations or it would rapidly get annoying (like the "arrow to the knee" or the minor characters who say the same 2 or 3 things over and over in Skyrim)
Old 2012-02-23, 00:53   Link #232
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Quote:
You'd have to ask whoever put it together.... but yeah, that music for the video just doesn't mesh for me either.
The description for the video remarks that the guy didn't have sound. He doesn't say whether it's because of some technical error or if it's a limitation of his recording software, but it's why he put a soundtrack over it instead. Why did he choose Eminem? Who knows...

Quote:
I think the animation is *interesting* (almost hypnotic) ... but it would have to have a LOT of unique animations or it would rapidly get annoying (like the "arrow to the knee" or the minor characters who say the same 2 or 3 things over and over in Skyrim)
Wha- rapidly annoying?! Flowing hair and (unrealistic) chest bouncing, how can that ever get old and annoying?
Old 2012-02-23, 01:17   Link #233
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Wha- rapidly annoying?! Flowing hair and (unrealistic) chest bouncing, how can that ever get old and annoying?
You left off the "hypnotic" part... how can I read the dialog with all that going on?
Old 2012-02-23, 01:26   Link #234
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
You left off the "hypnotic" part... how can I read the dialog with all that going on?
But you said "almost hypnotic"...

... and oh yes, I totally agree, those distractions are pretty terrible. I've only played one or two H-games, and both times I did it for the storyline and the dialog. Yes, indeed
Old 2012-02-23, 03:41   Link #235
warita
Dai-Youkai

The current direction of the discussion reminds me of one sci fi book written by Isaac Asimov. In one of his novels he wrote about the day to day use of androids, who look just like humans. In the book the society turned against this overly natural design, because of the implications (what he meant here is, that people didnt like the idea robots could replace the human sex partner).

How wrong was Asimov, when he wrote that. I wonder why it never occured to him, that thats precisely why some people would want to have a human looking robot.

I have seen and read different sci fi works touching on this subject and well.... quite a few of them painted a grim picture. It is always easier to stop dealing with "difficult" 3D people, if you have a satisfactory replacement. It might not be real, but if you blend out the fact your gf needs new batteries now and then, how much happier you are with her. I wonder if I will come to see that in my lifespan. Hahaha, I will be a shriveled granny by then and will be telling my grandkids: "you know, back then when I was young, we actually dated real people." :P
Old 2012-02-23, 04:34   Link #236
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
The current direction of the discussion reminds me of one sci fi book written by Isaac Asimov. In one of his novels he wrote about the day to day use of androids, who look just like humans. In the book the society turned against this overly natural design, because of the implications (what he meant here is, that people didnt like the idea robots could replace the human sex partner).
That story has inspired Time of Eve, in case you didn't know. Well worth a watch.
Old 2012-02-23, 04:39   Link #237
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That story has inspired Time of Eve, in case you didn't know. Well worth a watch.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have seen the series and loved it. I didnt know it inspired Eve no Jikan, but I recommended the story to a friend the other say saying, that it has a definate Asimov feeling to it. So I wasnt mistaken
Old 2012-02-23, 05:02   Link #238
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Well here's a question: Given the physical laws of our universe, would it be technically possible for a "2D Girl" to truly exist here in a 3D form? Given the Hatsune Miku glass projection concert, I think it may be plausible.

Or maybe I'm just hopeful?
Check out the 11th dimmension, then. I'd assume you'll find what you want in 11D.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:47   Link #239
monsta666

I think one thing that will always top robots is an issue that granted is largely driven by ego. If you had some sort of robot/android who was programmed to love you then while that is nice it would not be 100% satisfying at least not to the extent of what a real relationship would provide assuming it was a healthy relationship. The thing with a person is it has free will unlike the robot so if a person chooses to be with you or love you then they do so out of their own free will. It is not just part of their programming therefore their love would count for more and thus be more valuable.

Off course real relationships take work to maintain require compromises and even sacrifices. In addition the reality cannot compete with the fantasy as you can simply wish away all the bad points. As a result I am sure some people would take the robot even with its negative aspects. Saying that however, even if we managed to create a 3D anime girl complete with all the "anime physics" then some of the appealing aspects of her would diminish as we would have to deal with the reality and those fantasies of all that chest bouncing (as hypnotic as that maybe), hair flowing, great body and tsundere type character would not be so great as Ledgem already alluded to. The breasts would get old, the constant maintenance of the hair would be annoying and that great body will attract a lot of attention especially if this girl likes attention. I don't think the tsundere bit needs explaining... Then again such a girl could be reprogrammed unlike a real girlfriend so those negative points could be removed.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:15   Link #240
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
The thing with a person is it has free will unlike the robot so if a person chooses to be with you or love you then they do so out of their own free will. It is not just part of their programming therefore their love would count for more and thus be more valuable.
(1) Do androids dream of electric lovers sheep?

(2) Some would say we're just sophisticated machines programmed to believe in free will.

(3) From (2), see (1).
Closed Thread