Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-05-26, 04:52   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Gundam Age - Character Discussion - Flit Asuno

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Flit Asuno related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Gundam fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 19:45   Link #2
Ruby Princess

Does anyone else think Flit might be showing early signs of Alzheimer's?
Ruby Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 21:50   Link #3
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
Does anyone else think Flit might be showing early signs of Alzheimer's?
wow that was random...so why would you think that?

Now while at it I wanted to toss this out there...Is it just me or dose it seem like Filt's characterization has been kind of inconsistent between AGE 2 and 3? I mean at first in AGE 2 he's borderline genocidal now he's more like a grumpy old man. My guess is that Sunrise couldn't have a Gundam Protag getting to dark on them...

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-07-09 at 22:46.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 01:28   Link #4
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's probably less that and more no longer having power. He still taught Kio how to fight and, more importantly, taught him a rather aggressive fighting style, if Shanalua's remarks are any indication.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:02   Link #5
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I'm surprised there's so little discussion on what's perhaps the best character in AGE, by far. What I really liked about his character was just seeing the progression of him as a character, from young genius engineer to ace pilot to commander. It's just a shame that the series had to be rushed and we missed out on those intermediary years during his stellar military career. I would've liked to see another 10 episodes after the first arc when he was in his 20's and 30's...pre mustache Flit...

The best thing about Flit is that he's flawed, and seems to have an internal struggle going on between the good kind Flit and the bitter genocidal Flit that rose from all the personal loss of family and friends. The understanding ending they are going for would be better if the one experiencing the other side was him instead of Kio. But no, they're obviously going with the whole "Flit don't care he just wants to blow people up with mobile suits" angle, and it's Kio who becomes "the savior" that should have been Flit. I hate the message that only Kira-clones can be saviors, eveyrone else is wrong.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:07   Link #6
Dark Wing

Agreed Flint being the main focus for a 50 episode series would've made an interesting story. Then give is Son and Grandson their own series to build them up.
Old 2012-07-12, 15:21   Link #7
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It's probably less that and more no longer having power. He still taught Kio how to fight and, more importantly, taught him a rather aggressive fighting style, if Shanalua's remarks are any indication.
I beg to differ.

During the fight against the Vagans we see that Flit trained Kio to be careful and precise. This was demonstrated when he took out the giant MA in the city without causing too much collateral damage.

Kio's recklessness is due to his age (he's a kid for crying out) and determination to show that he can do it.

Quote:
The best thing about Flit is that he's flawed, and seems to have an internal struggle going on between the good kind Flit and the bitter genocidal Flit that rose from all the personal loss of family and friends. The understanding ending they are going for would be better if the one experiencing the other side was him instead of Kio. But no, they're obviously going with the whole "Flit don't care he just wants to blow people up with mobile suits" angle, and it's Kio who becomes "the savior" that should have been Flit. I hate the message that only Kira-clones can be saviors, eveyrone else is wrong.
The thing is Flit is now the old grandpa with lots of war wounds so he's hurt and is haunted by the ghosts of those close to him. For him to radically change his view on the Vagans to a more sympathetic one is very difficult. IE. Imagine asking an old chinese man who lived and barely survived during the brutal Japanese invasion of China. His grandkids wouldn't have an issue because they didn't experience the same thing and would serve as a bridge to mend that.

It's up to Kio to mend the bridge between the earthlings and vagans which would be somewhat ironic as Ezcelant wanted him to be a representative.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 15:28   Link #8
Yusei Fudo
Banned

I think we might see Flit dying for some reason and then he sees Yurin as he dies, except when he dies, he appears as his 15 year old state.

Because Flit is going the negative way lately. A LOT
Yusei Fudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 15:34   Link #9
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

I really don't understand all this negativity.

Deep end?

1. Has Flit killed in cold blood?
No

2. Has Flit killed POWs?
No. In fact the last time he tried the Vagan committed suicide

3. Has Flit made plans himself to launch nukes at Vaga?
No. The Federation seems to have made some but given the fact that they despise Flit he is not at fault if they decide to finally retaliate against Vaga.

4. Has Flit distanced himself from his family and friends?
No.

5. Does Flit keep people trapped in his closet?

No

I mean really. Where are you guys making this up?

He has every right to be pissed off and angry at the Vagans. And the fact that this is all a test according to Ezcelant just makes it even worse.

Since Asemu's arc we don't see alot of Flit either so where is all this crap?
Old 2012-07-12, 17:47   Link #10
ReddyRedWolf

Well if Ambat is any indication Flit is angry and bitter but can he pull the trigger? He didn't kill Decil either in a fit of rage.

It didn't help his first intimate contact with a Vegan is Decil. Who the hell raises a kid a psychopath... Oh right Ezelcant who is a Social Darwinist. But he seem to have made a better handling of Zeheart.

Flit have trained Asemu and Kio as warriors but he instilled in them Noblesse oblige.

With the power of the Gundam comes responsibility of protecting the innocent. Which corresponds to what Flit was taught the Gundam is a tool of saviors.

Learning that Kio just handed access to the Age device to Ezelcant and Ezelcant , a crazy man who thinks he is a savior by bringing war, having a Gundam is going to give the Flit a heart attack.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 18:14   Link #11
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Dude, you're bordering on obsession with Ezelcant. It's like every one of your posts is about how he is so evil.
Old 2012-07-20, 00:35   Link #12
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Of all the three main Asuno's young Flit is my favorite AGE protagonist. He was all business, ready to fight. His anguish with Yurin's death was a high point of the firt arc (IMO). That scream he gives when he has a flash back about her when fighting Geera Zoi was heart wrenching.

I really hope we get an OVA that tells us his story when he's a young adult.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 09:25   Link #13
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I really hope we get an OVA that tells us his story when he's a young adult.
I thought we got a drama CD about that or something like with the wedding from gen. 2?

It also seems like thats going to be in the game cause in the trailer you see an older Flit and Emily.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 20:25   Link #14
John117xCortana

He who fights monsters beware. Lest they become monsters themselves.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:48   Link #15
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Judging by the way the series is heading, I reckon there would be a resolution to the enmity between Flit and the Vagans. It seems that such an ideal would be facilitated by none other than his own grandson.

Besides, this series desperately need an anti-hero figure in Flit. If not the series would be seriously impoverished in terms of its depth, if it revolves around a conflict solely between protagonists and antagonists. Flit's questionable moral stance puts him in a great position to be the anti-hero of the series, and by that, provide much needed complexity to a series that has been perennially criticised for its child-like features and themes.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:55   Link #16
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
The funny thing is that it's all because of Ezcelant's doings.

He's doing this so he can select the perfect humans that would participate in his creation of Eden that is free of war.

Nevermind the fact that Flit would never participate in such a thing but he's survived every test that's been thrown at him and that's only resulted in him being a bitter old veteran who wants to see the other side destroyed to protect the other one. Someone whose carrying that much weight and hurt is someone that shouldn't be part of some peaceful utopia.

Quote:
Judging by the way the series is heading, I reckon there would be a resolution to the enmity between Flit and the Vagans. It seems that such an ideal would be facilitated by none other than his own grandson.
It's pretty obvious.

Maybe Kio would get Ezcelant to see Flit and make him realize just how screwed up his ideals about Eden are.
Old 2012-07-21, 22:14   Link #17
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Bask Om lite. I smell potential Ezelcant 2.0 accomplice
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 19:55   Link #18
Vsin
Aldracity

I'm just going to throw a random idea out there, but...

What if Flit has actually been in denial this whole time?

Basically, his entire crusade against Vagans directly revolves around Desil. Yes, his entire family and home colony got torched by Vagans, but in reality the guy was never batshit insane until the whole Yurin thing. And way back during AGE 1, even when he got the chance to confront and kill not one but TWO Vagans (Desil and...what's his face) he couldn't kill either.

Moving foward to AGE 2, Flit once again has his heavy grudge against Desil, as evidenced by the way he fought against Desil that lone time he got a chance to. However, the important part here is that Desil is dead, but he doesn't (appear to) know and he wasn't the one who dealt the killing blow. Whereas Grodek got closure on his end (shooting whatshisface), Flit has been stuck with his festering grudge with absolutely no closure. So, whereas Grodek basically ended his crusade, fullstop, Flit is still chugging away because he hasn't come to terms with the fact that the whole reason why he went full nutjob in the first place was because of Yurin.

And that's probably where the Fawnfarsia comes into play (read: OP). It would basically serve as an...I dunno, extension? Expy? Metaphor? Some sort of sideways reference to what happened to Yurin. From there, one of two things can happen: he either kills Fram or comes to terms with why Fram is on the battlefield.

And why is Fram on the battlefield again? Despite her lack of piloting experience (like Yurin), she's a really powerful X-Rounder (like Yurin) and is out there because she cares strongly for someone (...like Yurin). Add in some plot device that I can't imagine yet (probably including news of Desil's death) and bam, Flit gets some vague semblance of closure.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 03:26   Link #19
ReddyRedWolf

Nah Flit knows Decil is dead because it was after Woolf as killed by Decil, Decil was killed by Asemu.

Plus whenever Decil sortied Flit never went out to kill him out of vengeance. Decil became irrelevant. It was always Decil who sought to fight Flit. Flit just sits there in Diva directing the battle. He only went out if he is truly needed in the battlefield.

The reason why Flit never killed Decil then as that he was a child. A child that was turned to a monster by his society.

After 56 years Flit has reached his Godzilla Threshold. This is not about revenge but simple MAD doctrine. Vegans wont get away from their crimes and they'll pay.

Though you might say some are innocent that is not true. They gave Ezelcant power and support , either because they wanted it or was afraid to do anything, that makes every Vegan an accomplice to the war crimes.

When Afghanistan's Taliban was hiding Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda they never thought the US would react like that. Now survivors have nothing but contempt for the deceased Bin Laden and his Al Queda, because of them they lost everything.

What Flit has is righteous fury. He can only accomplish it if Vegan society is destroyed. Note society. Vegans will have to abandon their identity of being separate nation and be absorbed by the greater human culture. Either that or they'll have to be killed as they'll be a danger to the majority of humanity.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 05:47   Link #20
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
What Flit has is righteous fury. He can only accomplish it if Vegan society is destroyed. Note society. Vegans will have to abandon their identity of being separate nation and be absorbed by the greater human culture. Either that or they'll have to be killed as they'll be a danger to the majority of humanity.
This.

Despite what people think Flit is no nut job, because afterall this is a full out war against a society which is brainwashed and shielded from reality by it's cult leader who thinks he has the right to judge humanity as a whole, in fact it could be argued that Flit's method is the only realistic approach to end the war as the situation stands right now with Ezelcant as the leader. Asemu's method of "balance" only stretches out the pain and achieves nothing in the long run, and Kio's ideology just got a hard slap down by Fram in episode 41.

Break the Vagan military forces quickly and decisively then offer their citizens a chance to surrender and return to Earthsphere peacefully. If and only if when Flit goes on a murderous rampage of Vagan civilians (like how the Vagans invade Earth) when the military arm is destroyed, then and only then would it be reasonable to call Flit a genocidal nut job. Every other approach to this current problem is just naive.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters