Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-08-02, 14:31   Link #1
igrapablov

Kaze Tachinu Update

I know you guys have already heard of Studio Ghibli

dont know if it was discussed or not
here is a short modified review from Studio Ghibli Forum

The story follows Jiro from adolescence to adulthood as he works to fulfill his dream of designing a beautiful airplane. Miyazaki clearly thinks of Jiro as more of an artist than an engineer, and possibly identifies with him a great deal. Parallels can be drawn between Jiro's career and Miyazaki's as an animator: both men are driven, almost to the point of obsession, to create things of beauty. Perhaps out of sympathy (one hopes not out of blindness to his own faults), Miyazaki celebrates this impulse more than he criticizes it. The movie's main subplot, about Jiro's courtship of an artist dying of tuberculosis, contains subtle hints that Jiro may be squandering the time they have left together, but his lover Naoko is never less than supportive of his work, and their relationship experiences almost no conflict. The movie is masterful as an evocation of time and place. In that sense it is comparable to My Neighbor Totoro, which recreated the Japanese countryside of 1958 in loving detail. Kaze Tachinu paints a much broader picture of life in Japan in the '20s and '30s, with cities, train car interiors, mountain retreats, tatami rooms, restaurants, and factories all rendered exquisitely, painstakingly; I imagine the movie will be interesting to many Western audiences simply for its depiction of a time in Japanese history when the roots of tradition were not buried so deep, and a man might wear a suit to work but change into a kimono at home. The movie's meticulously rendered images of aircraft, real and imagined, reminded me of Porco Rosso, another movie in which Miyazaki allowed himself to revel in his obsession with planes. But the Ghibli film I recalled most while watching Kaze Tachinu was not even directed by Miyazaki. I was reminded of Grave of the Fireflies, directed by the co-founder of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's mentor, Isao Takahata. That movie, also set during WWII, is a tragic examination of the effects of war on civilians, which Kaze Tachinu is decidedly not. But both films evoke the same time in Japanese history so vividly it is impossible not to feel a kind of connection between them.

it feels like a conflict is inevitable in the terms of nationality. I mean a fan no matter how big he is is still going to see the film in another aspect right.after all it is the world war 2 we are talking about .any ideas?