AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 27 19.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 18.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 30 21.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 9.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 6.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-30, 19:46   Link #61
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Sometimes I'm reminded of how spoiled some fans can be at times...

This ep gets a 9/10 from me
Old 2009-09-30, 20:06   Link #62
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
-lol what with Rudolf.
Rudolf: -sees Shannon with a hole in her chest- Are you okay, Shannon?!
Actually, he says the same thing in the VN.

Spoiler for theory:

I have to say, I'm very disappointed with Deen on this episode. At least they did the cat box part right, but I wasn't convinced at all by the rest, especially what they cut out of the epitaph reasoning section.
Spoiler for don't comment on this:

I'd give this episode a 7...but -2 more for this line:
Quote:
I clearly said in red that the 6 of them were killed!

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2009-09-30 at 20:17.
Old 2009-09-30, 20:09   Link #63
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post

What's so wrong about that, about being spoiled.

If I had a anime series that I was looking forward to being animated (not anymore though). And the director screws it up, I have every right to be pissed.

And current anime is not as what it should be, compared to older ones...

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-09-30, 20:27   Link #64
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post

Spoiled :/ Sorry if we sound that way but that's peoples opinions. I would have given it a 9/10 too if the epitaph discussion was in and if the transition of events wasn't so meh.

And woah that's seriously the line, chrono? Well...
Old 2009-09-30, 22:05   Link #65
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The RAW I saw was pretty bad so I won't actually review it yet, but I accept that the adult's discussion on the epitaph is missing mostly since...

Spoiler for Spoilers?:

As some have suggested, I'm assuming it's gone for a reason. Likewise I'm not as disappointed as I'd have thought on the magic fight. Short but straight to the point, though I'd have thought that "Beatrice" would have actually given a better fight than that.
Old 2009-09-30, 22:14   Link #66
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

In for a review:
Spoiler for review:
Old 2009-09-30, 23:02   Link #67
Used Can

How long is this arc going to be? We're 3 episodes in, and there are 10 episodes left. I really don't see how DEEN can be having pacing issues.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-30, 23:21   Link #68
Serpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
How long is this arc going to be? We're 3 episodes in, and there are 10 episodes left. I really don't see how DEEN can be having pacing issues.?[/SPOILER]
They'll probably wrap up this arc in 4 more Episodes, and then use the remaining ones for the next. This decision is what brought about this fiasco in the first place.
Old 2009-09-30, 23:58   Link #69
MarthX

Let's ignore the bad music choice for a moment.

Would you rather have them skip the epitaph discussion to have a lengthy meta battle?

Or keep the epitaph discussion and cut down down on the meta battle?

Because by the pace they set for this episode, something had to be cut. As important as the epitaph discussion is, the meta battle is more exciting. I think they made the right decision.

The episode already implied that Eva had been studying the epitaph for a while. They could have a flash back in the next episode of part of the discussion and the hint.

I believe it's better to look on the bright side of things. Assuming the arc will have 4 more episodes, they have more time for the later scenes since they decided to make this episode cover more material than usual.
Old 2009-10-01, 00:10   Link #70
luckyssol

Quote:
How long is this arc going to be? We're 3 episodes in, and there are 10 episodes left. I really don't see how DEEN can be having pacing issues.
Are you sure there are only 10 episodes left? Some people have said there could be up 12 left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
Let's ignore the bad music choice for a moment.

Would you rather have them skip the epitaph discussion to have a lengthy meta battle?

Or keep the epitaph discussion and cut down down on the meta battle?

Because by the pace they set for this episode, something had to be cut. As important as the epitaph discussion is, the meta battle is more exciting. I think they made the right decision.

The episode already implied that Eva had been studying the epitaph for a while. They could have a flash back in the next episode of part of the discussion and the hint.

I believe it's better to look on the bright side of things. Assuming the arc will have 4 more episodes, they have more time for the later scenes since they decided to make this episode cover more material than usual.
Umineko's music is so great, it's a shame they're not using it properly.

I agree, they could easily handle the epitaph discussion with a flashback.
Old 2009-10-01, 00:32   Link #71
bigemperor

i will repeat it every time we said they will cover something in a flashback or later IT NEVER HAPPENS XD I'm still waiting that deen expalin how is the family of battler (anime only viewers continue to think that kyrie is battler mother) it really bothers me.

Quote:
12 episodes left, 4 more for this arc and 8 more for episode 4.
Old 2009-10-01, 00:42   Link #72
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemperor View Post
i will repeat it every time we said they will cover something in a flashback or later IT NEVER HAPPENS XD I'm still waiting that deen expalin how is the family of battler (anime only viewers continue to think that kyrie is battler mother) it really bothers me.
Yeah, but this time it's important that they do the flash back in the next episode because if they don't there won't be another opportunity. There's still time later on for a flash back on Battler's family.
Old 2009-10-01, 00:45   Link #73
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or some of the things people think are important aren't as important to the plot as they think they are.

Just saying...red herrings in a mystery are nothing new.
Old 2009-10-01, 00:48   Link #74
luckyssol

I agree, if they don't do a flash back on the epitaph next episode I'm throwing all my theories in the garbage. The epitaph is definately important but mabye the hints that were given in VN were red herrings.
Old 2009-10-01, 01:02   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I agree, if they don't do a flash back on the epitaph next episode I'm throwing all my theories in the garbage. The epitaph is definately important but mabye the hints that were given in VN were red herrings.
Mine were already in the recycle bin ready for deletion when Ep3 finished. In a way I'm using the anime as a sort of confirmation. If the discussion is completely absent here then I'm taking it as the signal that these scenes aren't vital and therefore not needed for solving the riddle.

This brings me to an even greater problem down the line, but I'll take that to the other thread.
Old 2009-10-01, 01:04   Link #76
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Schrodinger... Sure is popular these days.

Pretty magic battle.
Interesting.

(Me1: Say something more interesting...
Me2: How...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Sasuka DEEN da. They always butcher good scenes
Sasuka Deen (1950-1999)?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-10-01, 01:29   Link #77
USCPharmacist

wow......the fight was craptacular lol, sorry Deen, I tried to defend you all this time but this time I just can't. Especially when the fanmade one is more "hotblood", and it doesn't even have dialog. Seriously, I really think DEEN made a mistake when they try to make the show a "mystery". They should've just tell Ryukishi07:"you know what? we are gonna make Umineko into a shounen fightan anime with some harem elements thrown in in the question arch cuz you know, that's what most fans want, and most people can't deduce anything in the question arch anyway" I am pretty sure it'll be far more popular then what we have here.

Most of us realize you can't have everything in the anime, but you can still pull it off by recreated the same emotion that we experience when we read the VN. Since there is not enough room to fit everything, DEEN should just focus on one element and make sure they do a good job. So they can focus on mystery and forgo all pointless magic battles and stuffs, or they can focus on relationship and make us cry for the characters, or they can just focus on fighting. But cramping all three in and do a half ass job on all of them really won't help dvd sales.

Sometimes I really think DEEN was just filling up a check lists when doing the adaptation instead of making good anime, and that's just the wrong approach I think. Anyway, I don't think I am going to get the DVD cuz there is really no reason to collect it. It doesn't stimulate my brain because the logic battle were subpar, it doesn't stimulate my heart because it doesn't have any scene that really move me, and I doesn't stimulate my blood cuz I feel absolutely no tension in some of the most epic fight scenes in the game. Had the anime do good in any one these field I would fork out my money gladly, even if they rewrite everything.

1/10 phial for me.
Old 2009-10-01, 01:59   Link #78
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

Your point immediately became moot when you spelt fail as phail.......when I read that part first I stopped before reading the rest.

Anyways I liked it, I thought some animation was bad Rudolph's freaking head shrunk in one part....but I liked the magic battle, that was pretty cool. Short and sweet just the way I like it.
I wouldn't say it was the best episode but it was above average at the very least.
Old 2009-10-01, 02:12   Link #79
Divaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Except the VN players haven't solved the epitaph yet either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemperor View Post

12 episodes left, 4 more for this arc and 8 more for episode 4.

I could swear they explained that ages ago.
Old 2009-10-01, 02:17   Link #80
MarthX

How much you enjoy this episode is based on how high your expectations were. If you thought the magic battle would be 8+ minutes long, have amazing animation and be several times better than any other scene in the anime so far, then were crazy to think that way. In the fan video that shows the entire fight, it's 4 minutes long. The scene only lasts as long as it does in the VN because how wordy the descriptions are for everything.

The meta battle had a good length, aside from the music, had the feel it did in the VN with Battler having the upperhand and Beatrice struggling. Good emotion and it's the first time you see Beatrice not in control of the situation. It is depressing that they don't use the right tracks for those scenes but I think people are blowing it out of proportion. Even without the right music, the scene was still good. Calling it boring and such makes me facepalm. The music was the only big problem with the meta world scene. Everything else was good. And knowing the music should have been better is something only a VN reader would know.

The omission of the epitaph discussion is what hurts this episode most. But as I already explained, it was either cutting that or the meta world scene. Time and episode restrictions don't allow for everything. If they made too many slow paced episodes then they would have to rush the good scenes later on like with EP2; They screwed up the pacing by having 2 episodes have a really slow pace. I definitely don't want to see that mistake again.
Closed Thread