AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-15, 12:24   Link #561
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well this is only half speculation but form what I understand E7:AO is indeed a sequel to the first anime given that the date at the start if season one was 2005 and in season to it's 2025. Hopefully as the anime goes on we'll be getting bits and pieces of info on how things came to be has they are now.
Wait, what!? Where does it say S1 was 2005? Also there was no mention of Japan or Switzerland or any current earth country IIRC. Here they seem to be in the year 2025 not 10,000 years later. It looks to be a prequel if anything, what with the Scub Coral appearing and all...except that Ao looks like Eureka and Renton's son, including the flash with a Eureka look-a-like (nice comparison shot btw). So what will this have, time-travel?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Welcome to the confusion those of us who followed the information released since the show's announcement have felt and still do feel I sure don't remember any Earth countries in the old E7.
Okay, I certainly missed that info. And like I said above I don't think there were any *current* earth countries present either. There should be a world map somewhere in S1...But it looks like an earth before humanity left/was made to leave because of the Scub Coral.

About the episode, I liked the first episode. It definitely had the original Eureka Seven's spirit. And it did feel like Dai Sato's work...

I liked the voice actors, and I liked Naru, and I liked Ao and Naru. Looks like a good show. *waits for the next episode*
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 13:54   Link #562
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Original show was set in 12005 but they didn't discover that until the last episode and everyone in the show thought it was 2005. Basically, there were using the wrong calendar and that was an important plot point.

In AO, however, the date is given through onscreen subtitles.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 14:19   Link #563
lann

I love this picture. http://imageshack.us/f/456/minitokyo...anseurcx4.jpg/
It shows how the scub coral continents connect to earth, and how the underside is a reflection of the sky. It also shows two kids that makes me scratch my head
Old 2012-04-15, 16:59   Link #564
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Original show was set in 12005 but they didn't discover that until the last episode and everyone in the show thought it was 2005. Basically, there were using the wrong calendar and that was an important plot point.

Damn, completely forgot that not-so-little detail, thanks! That clears up the apparently mismatched dates. People got so hung up on everybody calling it a "sequel" that instinctively everyone placed the events after the events of the original.

btw I'm keeping my time-travel theory
Old 2012-04-15, 18:14   Link #565
Tyr Valein

I thought that I'd bring this little bit of speculation here since the site I originally posted it on doesn't seem to be getting too much activity:

Quote:
Okay, about to lay down some serious speculation right now.

I've only watched the RAW and only understood about three-quarters of what was being said, so catch me if I'm wrong about some things.

In today's episode we have three major things that caught my eye, mostly things that support the alternate universe theory of things.

1) Lack of trapar belt around the planet or the engraved moon.

- It felt like they were purposely trying to avoid the sky for most of the episode so this could be a hint to it being the alternate universe.
- I get a bad feeling that if we're wrong, the lack of trapar belt or engraved moon could just be a mistake on BONES' part.

2) Seven Swell-like phenomenon leads to "Scub Bursts" where massive chunks of Scub Coral fall out of portals

- Feels like more support for the alternate universe theory because the Scub Coral is falling out of some sort of portal. Maybe a dimensional gateway to the universe of the original?
- In one of the chunks of Scub Coral there was a hand sticking out of it. Maybe it was an LFO from the original?
- In the manga, Eureka "fell" out of the sky and into Okinawa according to the townspeople. Maybe she fell through a portal to this world and eventually went back somehow (maybe through the Zone), accidentally leaving Ao behind.

3) IFOs look nothing like LFOs at all. Why would they get rid of some of the most iconic mecha out there, if not some of the most original out there?

- It could just be a design decision on BONES' part, but I think it could potentially be tied in.
- Vehicles seem to lack Compac Drives, instead incorporating a different kind of interface called an ECU that I guess works sort of the same way.
- If that hand in the Scub Coral was any clue, I'm guessing that LFOs came to Earth through a portal and the inhabitants reverse-engineered IFOs from them.

That's it for now unless I think of anything else I missed.
Also Ao has been confirmed to be Eureka and Renton's son. So that firmly places it as a sequel. Like I say above, the fact that the Nirvash left with half of the life on the planet at the end of the first one is a very important plot point here.

Last edited by Tyr Valein; 2012-04-15 at 18:26.
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 18:24   Link #566
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post

So they time jumped into the past?
Old 2012-04-15, 20:23   Link #567
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Feeling very confused about this show right now. On the one hand, they took out a lot of the stuff I loved about the original series (the laid back surfer/hippie culture from the beginning being the biggest one for me) and I am so confused by the setting (WTH, how is the Tokyo Tower still standing after, presumably, being stuck under Scrub Coral for a century or two). On the other hand, looking at it as a mecha series without any connections to the original E7 I liked it and the first episode works much better than that first manga chapter did. Gonna keep following it but I'm expecting a lot of mixed feelings on it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 20:31   Link #568
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, it's not a Century or two - at most it's 13 years, because this is set in 2025.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 21:03   Link #569
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, it's not a Century or two - at most it's 13 years, because this is set in 2025.
Assuming it's 2025 CE, not 2025 ie 12025 (since I think it was here that someone pointed out earlier in the thread that the dating system was already off in the last series). As some people have already speculated, if we've somehow gone back in time and this is all happening before the original series then yes it makes sense Tokyo Tower (and a good chunk of Tokyo) is still around, abet in ruins. But if it's set after the end of E7, which is at least a century in the future, theeeeeen it starts making less sense.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 21:40   Link #570
aardvark

It can't be set before the original series, unless they are completely and utterly retconning episode 47.

The origin of the Scub was that part of it was attached to a human rocket in space with part of it crashing in the ocean, merging with the coral and eventually growing and growing. Thats obviously not whats going on here.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 21:45   Link #571
Tyr Valein

I feel like if this happens the way I'm speculating, BONES set us all up for the biggest trolling of any fanbase EVER. In history.

How to accomplish:

1) Claim new series is direct sequel to old series
2) Set sequel in present Earth when original was not on our version of Earth
3) Claim main character is the son of the two former leads
4) Aformentioned leads aren't talked about at all in any promotional material
5) Only connection to previous series is the iconic main mecha, yet not the same exact one because of what happened in previous series
6) Sit back and watch your loyal fanbase tear out their hair in frustration as they try to figure out what you did with their favorite series
7) Profit???
8) Reveal its the alternate universe implied to exist at the end of the original series
9) U MAD, FANS?
Old 2012-04-16, 08:09   Link #572
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just a clarification, but century = 100 years and millenium= 1000 years. If AO is set in the future of the original E7, I'm not sure how tokyo tower is still standing ten millenia from now.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 11:32   Link #573
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

?
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 17:08   Link #574
Tyr Valein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just a clarification, but century = 100 years and millenium= 1000 years. If AO is set in the future of the original E7, I'm not sure how tokyo tower is still standing ten millenia from now.
Mankind left Earth 10,000 years before the first E7. This Earth is obviously not the same one as the original's. Look at the conspicuous lack of "Renton + Eureka" on the moon or the trapar belt. Its obvious its an alternate universe that Eureka somehow travelled to. They did say she "fell out of the sky" in the first few chapters of the manga.
Old 2012-04-16, 18:03   Link #575
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Here's my take on E7AO: It's a sequel to the themes, but not a sequel in sense of storyline. The show is intended as a follow-up in the sense that fans of the original series would feel familiar with the themes expressed in the world and technology, as well as the characters designs and general feel of the show.

I think Ao is certainly the son of Renton and Eureka, but they will not explicitly be the Renton and Eureka of the E7 TV series or the E7 movie. Renton and Eureka represent Kyoda's specific vision of the boy meets girl theme in stories. To put a spin on AO, instead of making it another parallel story about Renton meeting Eureka again, instead he is making sequel to that story concept now. So this is a story about a new generation after Renton meets Eureka, but it is a sequel to the E7 concept itself, and not any specific E7 story (TV, movie, manga, etc).

In Kyoda's mind, there are probably an unlimited number of possibly variations of the original E7 story, and this is intended to be a follow-up to all of them, but none of them specifically. That's what I think is happening here.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 18:41   Link #576
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr Valein View Post
Mankind left Earth 10,000 years before the first E7. This Earth is obviously not the same one as the original's. Look at the conspicuous lack of "Renton + Eureka" on the moon or the trapar belt. Its obvious its an alternate universe that Eureka somehow travelled to. They did say she "fell out of the sky" in the first few chapters of the manga.
One of the possibilities, that's for sure.

Or (I think more likely) it might just be a completely different alternate universe, ala Pocket Full of Rainbows. Might be a completely different Eureka + Ren from what was shown before, for all we know.

Who knows really? After all its only one episode released so far, so I personally am looking forward to the answer to that mystery.

Just kinda annoyed at how people wrongfully use the term century, so I had to mention it, is all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 19:13   Link #577
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Here's my take on E7AO: It's a sequel to the themes, but not a sequel in sense of storyline. The show is intended as a follow-up in the sense that fans of the original series would feel familiar with the themes expressed in the world and technology, as well as the characters designs and general feel of the show.

I think Ao is certainly the son of Renton and Eureka, but they will not explicitly be the Renton and Eureka of the E7 TV series or the E7 movie. Renton and Eureka represent Kyoda's specific vision of the boy meets girl theme in stories. To put a spin on AO, instead of making it another parallel story about Renton meeting Eureka again, instead he is making sequel to that story concept now. So this is a story about a new generation after Renton meets Eureka, but it is a sequel to the E7 concept itself, and not any specific E7 story (TV, movie, manga, etc).

In Kyoda's mind, there are probably an unlimited number of possibly variations of the original E7 story, and this is intended to be a follow-up to all of them, but none of them specifically. That's what I think is happening here.
Old 2012-04-16, 19:27   Link #578
duckroll
綺羅星★!

What do you think the ring symbolizes in the larger scheme of things? I don't think it's a loose plot point, but thinking about it now, I think it was Kyoda's way of writing in a reference directly to the characters that the relationship between Renton and Eureka is one that can exist in any time, any place, and any reality. It is a story which has happened before and will happen again, and while details are never the same, the essence of it is.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 19:45   Link #579
aardvark

Thats kinda exactly what I thought when posting that lol.
Old 2012-04-16, 21:08   Link #580
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

First episode was pretty impressive, albeit visually, which counts like a mofo, but I'm just wondering is there a bulletpoint list of things I should know//not know, care//not care about?

LOL, I would actually appreciate an actual bulletpoint list with like 5, 6 things to put my mindset at peace^^...I would then watch the show in accordance with that...

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen