AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 11:09   Link #34541
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I dunno, doormat to the nth level is more my complaint. There's also the spoken but never shown rapid improvement in IS piloting skills. He really seems to lack direction in his life as he just seems to be the type of guy who says "Wait, you want me to be a doctor? Sure" *takes four years premed and almost finishes* "Wait? Now you want me to be a lawyer? Sure" *changes courses and has to start from scratch* "So I should just settle for restaurant owner? Sure" *drops everything and self studies culinary arts*

Just those are probably things I attribute to Chifuyu's upbringing.

These are just things I want to improve on his character in particular.

Giving him a backbone doesn't mean he'll be chewing anyone out. But he won't cave as easily as canon Ichika anymore. Canon Ichika cared more about people liking him than sticking to his decisions IMO(what happened to that cool kid who punched the bully leading the whole class? D: )

Skill improvement. I actually want to show that despite his failings, he's learning. The fact that he is failing is because his opponents are improving as well. Circumstances aside I just don't want to hear someone like Tatenashi praise him for improving and then promptly having his ass handed to him by the next bad guy. Since apparently the improvement was only good against that last important fight and only that specific fight and not the opponent.

Last is direction. I want Ichika to actually want to achieve something. In canon he doesn't seem to have any hopes or dreams whatsoever...

If it seems like I'm bashing again then please feel free to ignore the post
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:12   Link #34542
Eratas123

He does have a dream: To get a job and support himself. He mentions it early in V1. Now he wants to be a better pilot to make Chifuyu proud.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:13   Link #34543
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

That was basically the intention of every damn author that use Fake!Ichika as main character, me is not an exception. When TvTropes of all place mentioned Possession Sue as a good thing, you hafta wonder.

Fun thing, Ichika came as very realistic if not for his denseness and being status quo magnet.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:17   Link #34544
demino_hellsin
That one guy

well eras just illustrated my problem #3 with Ichika. Let's say if he wanted to be an accountant. Becoming an IS pilot shouldn't get in the way of that :/

First he wants a job, not a career, not a specific profession. Just a job, any job that gives money. Circumstances allow him to pilot an IS then he switches sides and says he'll become a great IS pilot. I know dreams change but he just doesn't seem to have a focus as a person. As zero said he is realistic, to the point he even has the same tendency as people to be somewhat... empty.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:19   Link #34545
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
That was basically the intention of every damn author that use Fake!Ichika as main character, me is not an exception. When TvTropes of all place mentioned Possession Sue as a good thing, you hafta wonder.

Fun thing, Ichika came as very realistic if not for his denseness and being status quo magnet.
Because Ichika is seriously damn boring.... generic at the worst....

But still better than the male lead in Kampfer at least
Old 2012-07-22, 11:21   Link #34546
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Here we go again..... Imma callin a night yo.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:22   Link #34547
Eratas123

Are you guys forgetting that Ichika's a 15 year old? He's in the first year of high school! The fact that he already has a (admittedly vague) goal at all is an improvement over the avergae teen.

Are you seriously telling em you had your college, career, romance plan, and future ideas when you're just barely into teenhood?

@ Senpai - Where did it say that?
Old 2012-07-22, 11:25   Link #34548
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Oh crap then I wasn't suposed to watch IS D:
Old 2012-07-22, 11:26   Link #34549
Eratas123

Taking off as well. Good luck with your stories.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:41   Link #34550
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I know more than a few who had things planned out. They even had a plan A, B & C

but telling it like it is. I really think Ichika turned out the way he did under the care of Chifuyu. Just waiting for all those fanon incestual yandere depictions of her to become canon now

Last edited by demino_hellsin; 2012-07-22 at 18:43.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:17   Link #34551
Eratas123

Last post: There is one thing I'll say, though: Ichika is damn flat!

I often have a hard time keeping him character during fics simply cause he has so little original personality! Wanna make him emo? There's nothing contradicting that. How about gay? He has a lot of subtext with Dan. How about a womanizer? Maybe he's just pretending to be dumb:/ Thing is, it's like Izuru gave use blank slate and said "Well, he's the basics. Fill in the blanks yourself."
Old 2012-07-22, 20:04   Link #34552
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Last post: There is one thing I'll say, though: Ichika is damn flat!

I often have a hard time keeping him character during fics simply cause he has so little original personality! Wanna make him emo? There's nothing contradicting that. How about gay? He has a lot of subtext with Dan. How about a womanizer? Maybe he's just pretending to be dumb:/ Thing is, it's like Izuru gave use blank slate and said "Well, he's the basics. Fill in the blanks yourself."
Well.... he did show anger..... lots of it but the author don't go too deep into it.... in flavor of harem antic....

To be honest, Izuru is just getting the hang of things.....

Look at Cecilia's and Rin's arc and compare it to Charlotte and Laura.....okay if you don't consider them due to their dark and edgy backstory, compare them to Kanzashi's.

The latter three girls get more development than Cecilia and Rin.... (He did make up with side story featuring Cecilia and Rin....)
Old 2012-07-22, 20:17   Link #34553
Eratas123

Yeah, but anger's a phase, not a true personality. If he was constantly angry and frustrated, then at least he'd be less flat. Making Ichika a happy go lucky sucker wouldn't be derailment since there's nothing contradicting it. Now, if you make the incredible hulk the same way, people would scream about derailment since being constantly angry is part of his canon personality.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:19   Link #34554
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Ichika is more laidback to me. He's also unsure of himself which lends a lot to my annoyance as well as the 3 problems I have with him.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:26   Link #34555
Eratas123

For example: The way a character talks, says things, his mannerisms and actions. Usually I have no problem gauging these things and applying them to fanfics. Ichika? Nope, he barely has any at all. He doesn't have a particular way of speaking, looking at things, or even a view point! His remarkable casualness when talking about men being the second class gender is ridiculously nonchalant and like he doesn't care. There are moments when we see him getting annoyed when females try to boss him around, but he somehow loses this nerve when his haremettes play "shoot/punch/slash/maim the brickhead".

Overall, I' don't hate him, I hate his damn flat personality and lack of showing instead of telling. Everyone in universe keeps saying that he's getting better with the IS, how he's so much more manly, and how much better he is at everything. Do we see any of this? Nope, he's the same dope as he was from V1.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:28   Link #34556
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras
if you mean Ichika being better as Possession sue, it's in the [OC Stand In] article

Quote:
Odd example from Infinite Stratos, it was the resident Harem Hero, Ichika himself, often being accused of being flat and dense. For the most part, it also doubles as Possession Sue, and packed in tandem with Adaptational Badass. The odd part mentioned because it's almost guaranteed that most people liked the change.
Here's the part from [Adaptational Badass]

Quote:
While is the main character, Ichika Orimura in Infinite Stratos is resident The Scrappy. Mostly due the fact that he's dense as brick and has a long list of Informed Ability. Guess what happens when fans tampering with him...

* Let's count: Ichika that's actually smart, Ichika fusing with his I.S. (also Iron Man Homage), Ichika that clogging too much testosterone...
* And many more, most of them ARE examples of Possession Sue, most readers liked the change nonetheless.
Old 2012-07-22, 22:20   Link #34557
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I know the whole harem fits the bill, but amongst them. Who's the destructive ditz?
Old 2012-07-22, 22:43   Link #34558
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

The only ditz present is Yamada, but she's harmless.
Old 2012-07-22, 22:46   Link #34559
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That is true...

Ichika has a harem.

Genta has two admirers, who are technically the same person...

Wonder if it'd get me in trouble to balance out the numbers :/
Old 2012-07-22, 22:51   Link #34560
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

See if you really willing to try.

Because I don't think Gentarou will settle for tenchi solution, so the end would be always bittersweet.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest