AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-03, 02:17   Link #81
molitar

Quote:
Though is there any reason why Yuki spilled the beans in front of kyon?
I suspect because she was probably worried that either A) He would quit the club or B) He would do something drastic which could really affect Haruhi. She needed to let him know a bit of the danger and how much he can affect what happens. How he was chosen by her and it's best to go with the flow because what could result if she really got pissed or something.
Old 2006-05-03, 08:26   Link #82
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
So it's official, Psieye is an alien/time traveller/ESPer. Onizuka-GTO I suggest you dive for cover as he may have the power to drop down large walls of text
Ahahahah XD XD XD XD

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2006-05-03, 16:21   Link #83
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigious
Not the Autobots, it's the Maximals silly! Autobots are so 1980s.
Maximals are so 90s. Yuki's with the La-li-lu-le-lo.

Now, back to lurking.
Old 2006-05-03, 16:24   Link #84
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(Ironically, this bickering reminds me of the 4chan argument on Eva and Haruhi, which somehow evoked the argument that "mecha was dead until EVA came along" and "moe was overdone until Haruhi's descent". Sigh...)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-05-04, 10:09   Link #85
kari-no-sugata

Some random thoughts...

It's hard to say just how much an effect Haruhi is having on the world based on her wishes. For example, she wants to meet aliens, espers, time travelers and see supernatural events etc. While some of those have happened, it's not been all according to the results Haruhi herself wants (so far in the anime and what I've read in the novel translations). ie, while she has technically met aliens etc, she doesn't know that she actually has. If Haruhi's wishes created the aliens etc (something very hard), why can't her wishes result in Haruhi finding out they actually exist (which seems rather easy)? She does very specifically want to meet aliens or otherwise extrodinary people or beings. Based on that, it seems more plausible that the aliens etc pre-existed and are reacting to side-effects of Haruhi's powers, rather than being created by Haruhi.

Another example: Itsuki suggests that events 3 years ago created espers in the first place. However, given the specific conditions needed for his esper powers to noticible, it's just as possible that he always had those powers but it wasn't until certain events starting 3 years ago that it was possible to fulfill the conditions to realise those powers.

Another example: Haruhi clearly has some feelings for Kyon (she certainly doesn't like Kyon being paired with Mikuru or Yuki in ep 5), so you'd think she'd want Kyon to like her etc - but this doesn't seem to be happening at all. And if anything, her goddess powers are losing to Mikuru's moe~ power

None of which explains what Haruhi's powers are exactly or where they came from or the extent of the real results to date...
Old 2006-05-04, 10:48   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@kari-no-sugata: the inability to affect Kyon directly and her unconscious frustration at this probably drive a lot of the show's plot. She definitely is already thinking of Kyon as somehow "hers". Kyon is forming a bond with Haruhi... well, at least he's finding life much more interesting with her despite all the grousing.
Character-wise, Haruhi reminds me a bit of the series Kamichu's wild-tigress friend who's a Miko at the local temple. That same smile and wild eyes.... love it.

This show has reawakened my latent interest in physics, particularly the concept of the universe under information theory as a large projection of an underlying information field.

There you go: romance, physics, comedy, moe, wild-eyed tigress.... I'm set.
Old 2006-05-04, 11:42   Link #87
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I liked kamichu! too bad it never got finished

Now that you mentioned it, Haruhi is like the opposite version of Kamichu....
Old 2006-05-04, 12:31   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... you're in luck sort of... Kamichu is licensed and will start releasing in June.

Course I see you're in the UK and you'll have to "pay the freight" but I order a fair amount of stuff from the BBC and it isn't too painful.

yeah... kamichu just wanted everyone to be happy and get along.... Suzumiya is more like Loki the god of capricious fun that destroys the universe

maybe Shiva is a better comparison.... Creation and Destruction all rolled into one... the goddess of energy and matter.
Old 2006-05-04, 13:06   Link #89
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Shiva?

"I am Haruhi,the destroyer of worlds."

I am too scared to imagine an Haruhi with 4 arms.Imagine what she could do to Mikuru...............errrr this starting to look like some weird h-fantasy
Old 2006-05-29, 17:47   Link #90
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
Some random thoughts...

It's hard to say just how much an effect Haruhi is having on the world based on her wishes. For example, she wants to meet aliens, espers, time travelers and see supernatural events etc. While some of those have happened, it's not been all according to the results Haruhi herself wants (so far in the anime and what I've read in the novel translations). ie, while she has technically met aliens etc, she doesn't know that she actually has. If Haruhi's wishes created the aliens etc (something very hard), why can't her wishes result in Haruhi finding out they actually exist (which seems rather easy)? She does very specifically want to meet aliens or otherwise extrodinary people or beings. Based on that, it seems more plausible that the aliens etc pre-existed and are reacting to side-effects of Haruhi's powers, rather than being created by Haruhi.

Another example: Itsuki suggests that events 3 years ago created espers in the first place. However, given the specific conditions needed for his esper powers to noticible, it's just as possible that he always had those powers but it wasn't until certain events starting 3 years ago that it was possible to fulfill the conditions to realise those powers.

Another example: Haruhi clearly has some feelings for Kyon (she certainly doesn't like Kyon being paired with Mikuru or Yuki in ep 5), so you'd think she'd want Kyon to like her etc - but this doesn't seem to be happening at all. And if anything, her goddess powers are losing to Mikuru's moe~ power

None of which explains what Haruhi's powers are exactly or where they came from or the extent of the real results to date...
and yet no matter how hard I've tried to press this point, I can't get through to people that not everything is specifically a result of Haruhi's desires. I think people are a bit mesmerized by her character and want to put her up on a pedestal higher than she should be. I agree with the Loki comparison though, a trickster, who isn't really good nor evil, but inadverantely brings about disaster during Ragnarok, kind of like how Haruhi causes big trouble without meaning it. Like Kyon says her actions often lack meaning, but something else far more sinister always happens as a result of them. I firmly believe that Haruhi's powers have limits, I don't know how anybody got the impression she is omnipotent as nothing has been offered so far in the series to even hint at that besides Koizumi's theory, which is well... a theory. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see, I just wish the other folks would stop jumping to conclusions, most events in the show seem to have a more simple explanation and aren't always a direct result of Haruhi.
Old 2006-05-29, 18:06   Link #91
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well since I look at Haruhi according to Kyon as a classical 'great man', one that can affect the outcome of event, although not necessary as the sole cause... it is another to say that everything falls on Haruhi's plate. I long see her as a demiurge at the magnitute of Gilgamesh but that's me.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-05-29, 18:08   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
and yet no matter how hard I've tried to press this point, I can't get through to people that not everything is specifically a result of Haruhi's desires. I think people are a bit mesmerized by her character and want to put her up on a pedestal higher than she should be. I agree with the Loki comparison though, a trickster, who isn't really good nor evil, but inadverantely brings about disaster during Ragnarok, kind of like how Haruhi causes big trouble without meaning it. Like Kyon says her actions often lack meaning, but something else far more sinister always happens as a result of them. I firmly believe that Haruhi's powers have limits, I don't know how anybody got the impression she is omnipotent as nothing has been offered so far in the series to even hint at that besides Koizumi's theory, which is well... a theory. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see, I just wish the other folks would stop jumping to conclusions, most events in the show seem to have a more simple explanation and aren't always a direct result of Haruhi.
Keep in mind, of course, that most people who "jumped to conclusions" have already read the translated novels concerning episode 4, 5 & 6.

It was intentional of Kyoani to keep Haruhi's powers in the dark until the finale.
Old 2006-05-29, 19:19   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Yes and so have I, I remember them being just as non descript and based in theory as the episodes. Except for Volume 1 Chapter 7 which was pretty ambigous, even with the clues given by Koizumi and Nagato.

Spoiler:

Though since everyone here is already on board with the God theory, I probably shouldn't even be bothering to argue this point, its a waste of all our time. My official theory is that she is a human gifted with special abilities, but I'm probably the only one that holds this position. Its like the lines in chapter 7 say:

"Looking at her young and smooth face, I remembered Nagato's "evolution possibility", Asahina's "temporal distortion", and Koizumi treating Haruhi as "God". But as for me, what is Haruhi to me? Just what do I treat her as?"

Well I treat her as an exceptional if a bit eccentric human being with a gift. My theory could change as the novel wears on though.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-05-29 at 19:37.
Old 2006-05-29, 21:06   Link #94
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Well, I don't like how the god theory seems to presume that whatever intelligence she had before she became Haruhi-the-merely-empowered-human, whatever mind she used to devise her creation, in some way desired things to be as they are. I know it's for the sake of the story and all, but it seems a huge conceit that the wish of an omnipotent would be for the plot of an anime...

I mean, if she's just a human with reality-altering powers, not the originator of that world and those powers, at least you get to just leave the setting to the writers- Yuki and Mikuru's peoples exist because they are part of the setting, not something Haruhi created. It seems more interesting when Haruhi's dream is just a part of the world, not the whole thing, like Itsuki says...
Old 2006-05-29, 22:34   Link #95
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I forgot did they ever say she can only alter existing reality or merely add or create stuff in it. Also I think the universe was around before her and that her existence is a fluke. I seem to recall Itsuki saying that she is a once in the existent of the universe anomaly which may never happen again and therefore needs to be protected and guided in some way. The other characters often seem to act as guardians to her in a way and they are trying to protect her from herself basically. Whether she realizes it or not, the other characters are constantly influencing her decisions, guiding her away from self-destruction, and providing her with companionship. There is so much more to the story than just Haruhi and her abilitities, it places a heavy emphasis on character interaction and relationships. That's why I say not everything is a result of Haruhi's will, which some people seem to think, a story can't exist solely with one character as the center of all attention, it would be really boring.
Old 2006-05-30, 08:43   Link #96
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Yes and so have I, I remember them being just as non descript and based in theory as the episodes. Except for Volume 1 Chapter 7 which was pretty ambigous, even with the clues given by Koizumi and Nagato.

Spoiler:

Though since everyone here is already on board with the God theory, I probably shouldn't even be bothering to argue this point, its a waste of all our time. My official theory is that she is a human gifted with special abilities, but I'm probably the only one that holds this position. Its like the lines in chapter 7 say:

"Looking at her young and smooth face, I remembered Nagato's "evolution possibility", Asahina's "temporal distortion", and Koizumi treating Haruhi as "God". But as for me, what is Haruhi to me? Just what do I treat her as?"

Well I treat her as an exceptional if a bit eccentric human being with a gift. My theory could change as the novel wears on though.
It seems to me that the problem is with your definition of "god". In the Shinto tradition she could be seen as a god, not "The God". Try watching Kamichu (The Middle School God). She is hardly all powerful. Or "Spirited Away." There are many gods in there who are less than omnipitant.
Old 2006-05-31, 21:16   Link #97
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well that's a reason why initially I tried to look at Haruhi as a demiurge for some time. It is the only western equivilence that I can of that might render Haruhi most closely. However, after subsequent discussions and later volumes, this becomes less and less vital as all other 3 factions could be viewed either as demiurge (higher Aeon isn't out of the picture but then higher Aeons aren't flawed whereas all 3 of the factions gathered at Haruhi are not)

Old 2006-05-31, 21:52   Link #98
arias

Quote:
Spoiler far into the novel series

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-01, 13:17   Link #99
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler:

Old 2006-06-01, 15:27   Link #100
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
And if anything, her goddess powers are losing to Mikuru's moe~ power
And here comes my theory of Mikuru being a Moe-kami, again Tsk tsk, not so omnipotent, are we?