Old 2011-01-26, 08:32   Link #6581
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ well, I think SEXtum fared quite well compared to quartum
Old 2011-01-26, 09:10   Link #6582
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

^Yeah, I think the enormous amounts of awesome here override any problems.

Spoiler for comment:
Old 2011-01-26, 10:29   Link #6583
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Merctrin, I think your biggest problem might be a misunderstanding best encapsulated in two of your lines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merctrin View Post
Then Negi loses control of Magia Erebea. Again. After specifically going through training to avoid this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merctrin View Post
Didn’t we already get proof of Negi being awesome after conquering Magia Erebea?
Negi never "conquered Magia Erebea". His "training to avoid this" was only partially successful at best. His conversation with Scroll Eva right before he left Teodora's Resort made that pretty clear, I thought, as did the fact that he was still—until quite recently, actually—wearing the arm coverings. I can see how getting the impression that control of Magia Erebea was no longer an issue may have made his later falterings more frustrating, but to me they were properly foreshadowed. Now, after his latest trip inside his own head, he might have finally resolved it, but I think that his solution to the Magic World problem is going to end up nerfing the hell out of him and rendering ther whole Magia Erebea thing moot, anyway.
Old 2011-01-26, 12:09   Link #6584
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
That's the biggest disadvantage of a multi-genre series, really. Some of us were drawn by the fluffy school moments, some for the harem shenanigans, and some for stuff blowing up, and Akamatsu must juggle between them all. And that's not our fault; the series did promise them all.

Take the latest arc for example. Many wished for it to end quickly and they have the right for it, since there's been less on the factor that drawn them to Negima. Me? I think it's the moment that the series started to actually move from great to awesome, since it's the action that appealed to me most. In fact, I almost gave up this series back during the Kyoto arc only to return when my favorite lil' vampire iced a big damn demon god...

When the arc is finally over and the obligatory breather volume followed, I'm pretty sure I'll be the one wishing for that to end...

Frankly, it's the publishers fault for not letting him do what he want from the first place. Genre shifts are very risky
My thoughts mirror Random Wanderer's. Disliking the current arc DOESN'T mean I want to go back to the so-so cliched comedy of the first two volumes. But Mundus Magicus is just pushing the envelope too far in the opposite direction.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 13:53   Link #6585
Merctrin
Immi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Merctrin, I think your biggest problem might be a misunderstanding best encapsulated in two of your lines:

Negi never "conquered Magia Erebea". His "training to avoid this" was only partially successful at best. His conversation with Scroll Eva right before he left Teodora's Resort made that pretty clear, I thought, as did the fact that he was still—until quite recently, actually—wearing the arm coverings. I can see how getting the impression that control of Magia Erebea was no longer an issue may have made his later falterings more frustrating, but to me they were properly foreshadowed. Now, after his latest trip inside his own head, he might have finally resolved it, but I think that his solution to the Magic World problem is going to end up nerfing the hell out of him and rendering ther whole Magia Erebea thing moot, anyway.
That's bad phrasing on my part. I sort of expected him to lose control at some point, because I agree there was foreshadowing, it's just the way that it was done that's getting on my nerves. For me, his latest faltering with it is frustrating more because it happens 15 chapters after the end of his training than because it felt resolved. ...It probably doesn't help that some of those chapters were spent in a dreamworld.

I suppose the way to put it would be that the sudden, very serious issue of having Negi incapacitated seemed really out of place. It's dramatic enough that it feels like it should have been put later in the final battle, not during the early parts of it.

Spoiler for 315:

All in all I'm probably not going to mind any of this much at all when the official volumes come out, but right now it feels like things could have been handled better.

ETA: And I guess I didn't get it across very well, but personally, I think my biggest problem is that Quartum feels like a pointless character to me. How that led to me ranting about everything I have the vaguest problem with... uh. I'm still not sure.

Last edited by Merctrin; 2011-01-26 at 14:35.
Merctrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 18:23   Link #6586
Random Wanderer

So... odds on Sextum joining the harem?

Quote:
Disliking the current arc DOESN'T mean I want to go back to the so-so cliched comedy of the first two volumes. But Mundus Magicus is just pushing the envelope too far in the opposite direction.
I agree. The earliest stuff wasn't that enjoyable, and I don't think we should go back just to that, but there seemed to be a good balance during the summer vacation chapters, before everyone headed off to Wales. Taken together with the school festival storyline, I think it worked just about perfectly in balancing the intense drama and action with a breather period. The Magic World has pushed things much further and much longer, though, and I feel the balance has shifted too far in the wrong direction.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 08:26   Link #6587
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
So... odds on Sextum joining the harem?
I'm gonna say 3:1 against.
Old 2011-01-27, 09:18   Link #6588
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
I'm gonna say 3:1 against.
This is manga we're talking about, the higher the odds the greater the chance of it happening. It's like a reversal of the laws of gambling.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 10:16   Link #6589
Random Wanderer

Well he's already stripped her (and made her blush in the process) so she's following the track for it.
Old 2011-01-27, 15:07   Link #6590
GreatTeacherKen

I'd be more surprised if Sextum doesn't join the harem. I don't think there's been a women who's totally immune to the Springfield charm. And more ridiculous things have happened in the manga like, for example, anything Jack Rakan does.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 16:28   Link #6591
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

If we weren't so close to the final battle, I'd say it was certain, but as it is I don't know if we have enough time to get her develop feelings for him. If there's another arc after this one it's possible.

Although I'd kinda like to see her fall for somebody else (like maybe Kotaro) just to throw the readers for a loop. And probably confuse Chisame.
Old 2011-01-27, 16:32   Link #6592
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
....I personally enjoyed the series from the very beginning and I have never found it dull. However, I definitely got more interested once the series became more action oriented and plot driven. For me, the series moved from very good to something special after the poignant resolution of the Mahora tournament (the brief father-son reunion)
Same thing for me.
Old 2011-01-28, 03:50   Link #6593
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

OH MY EFFING GOD at the RAW of the chapter. Negi...holy crap Negi. And I thought he handed Tsukuyomi a real smackdown a while back, but clearly I hadn't seen anything yet.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 13:27   Link #6594
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapaneseTeeth View Post
If we weren't so close to the final battle, I'd say it was certain, but as it is I don't know if we have enough time to get her develop feelings for him. If there's another arc after this one it's possible.

Although I'd kinda like to see her fall for somebody else (like maybe Kotaro) just to throw the readers for a loop. And probably confuse Chisame.
this is only the halfway mark for the story. The Author already it will be a entire school year and this is only half.
Old 2011-01-28, 14:33   Link #6595
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
this is only the halfway mark for the story. The Author already it will be a entire school year and this is only half.
People have been saying this is only halfway since before I started reading this manga, two years ago. We've gone through nearly 100 chapters since then. I rather doubt any statements of "we're only halfway" can still be considered valid.
Old 2011-01-28, 15:41   Link #6596
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
People have been saying this is only halfway since before I started reading this manga, two years ago. We've gone through nearly 100 chapters since then. I rather doubt any statements of "we're only halfway" can still be considered valid.
that is because 2 yrs ago, we are still in the same arc.
Old 2011-01-28, 18:27   Link #6597
GreatTeacherKen

Well whether it's halfway or not depends on how long Akamatsu wants the story to go. In any case, I doubt it'll be over any time soon because there are a lot of things unresolved. Plus, I think the series is popular enough to avoid the danger of being cut short.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 19:56   Link #6598
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

From what I've heard Akamatsu's plan was to end at around chapter 400, so we have enough time for maybe one mid-sized arc after this one wraps up. Of course, he made that announcement a while back, so it's entirely possible that his plan changed.

And as for the "entire school year" thing, we're not exactly clear on how much time has passed since Ala Alba entered the Magic World, so we can't really know exactly how that will affect the story.

In short, we really don't know how long it's going to be. Any info concerning length is so old that we don't know if it still applies.
Old 2011-01-28, 20:40   Link #6599
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I hope the manga is not dragged out ad infinitum like the Naruto manga has been (at least for my tastes) ... I am thinking that returning to England would be a good after this huge arc would be a nice place to finish things....
Old 2011-01-28, 23:23   Link #6600
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
Hmm ... I hope the manga is not dragged out ad infinitum like the Naruto manga has been (at least for my tastes) ... I am thinking that returning to England would be a good after this huge arc would be a nice place to finish things....
Let's leave it at arriving to Mahora, a brief breather arc with assorted hinjinks, and then a final arc where the rest of the class gets freakin' something to do at long last. They deserve it after so much time in limbo.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy